4 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

That's because you worked in Cali, not here in west Texas where it's over 100 for days on end, and 115-118 is not uncommon.

SHC is so commonplace here it no longer makes the news. People just go "Poof" on the sidewalk and there's a small pile of ash, and that's it. 

Usually newcomers who haven't acclimated yet....

B)

I remember when it would be on the news - usually accompanied by someone seeing if it was hot enough to fry an egg. 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

That's because you worked in Cali, not here in west Texas where it's over 100 for days on end, and 115-118 is not uncommon.

SHC is so commonplace here it no longer makes the news. People just go "Poof" on the sidewalk and there's a small pile of ash, and that's it. 

Usually newcomers who haven't acclimated yet....

B)

So you could cook a rare steak while it just sat there on a plate next to you? It might take a while, but that's just not right.

May be an image of text that says 'They met met on line'

• Like 2

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'When your grandma crochets you something, you wear it'

• Like 1

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'What do you have with no fat and no sugar? Napkins'

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, LakeBoy said:

Guess who is going to get a free seat on the next Virgin Galactic flight

Star Trek: Picard is the dark reboot that boldly goes where nobody wanted  it to | Star Trek | The Guardian

On 10/15/2021 at 2:57 PM, LakeBoy said:
On 10/15/2021 at 7:32 AM, Marcjsmith said:

uxh5ezRojYQ2PmlilqIhEwJe4Fynl32T87otKJuL

Expand  

Guess who is going to get a free seat on the next Virgin Galactic flight

Apparently not anyone relevant; such as Prince Williams (The Duke of Cambridge). 

In fact I'm struggling with any recent & apropos British aerospace contributions...

image.png

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aRr6RqB_460swp.webp

Not true.

Just last night my wife was watching one of those ER reality shows.

The patient had been on the roof with a shovel (don't know why). He dropped the shovel then fell off, landing butt first on the handle which pegged him all the way to his armpit.

He lived and was actually not badly damaged.

I suppose you could say he was lucky but...

I'll bet he uses a D handle shovel next time.

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not true.

Just last night my wife was watching one of those ER reality shows.

The patient had been on the roof with a shovel (don't know why). He dropped the shovel then fell off, landing butt first on the handle which pegged him all the way to his armpit.

He lived and was actually not badly damaged.

I suppose you could say he was lucky but...

I'll bet he uses a D handle shovel next time.

BD3A63B7-B740-C23F-DC21008797F0072D.jpg

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/suspected-thief-impaled-on-fence-spike-343642

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

So early morning on the beach a woman is jogging in the sand in the dawn near light. Foggy morning as well. Unbeknownst to her there is construction underway for a building and the fence footings have been dug (pretty darn deep) and the concrete is poured and the vertical steel set. So here is a pit with rebar set in concrete at the bottom. You guessed it............into the pit she falls headfirst impaling herself on one of the upright rebar. It enters around her clavicle passes through her chest, through her abdomen, through her pelvic girdle and out her buttocks (right cheek as I remember). Her legs are bent over pretty much at the waist and she is kinda suspended a foot to 18 inches above the concrete. I don't remember who called 911 but we arrive and there she is....hanging from the rebar....and conscious...sotra. One of the engine company guys hops in the hole and pushing his shoulder under hers, takes the weight of her hanging. Now what......you talk about a head scratcher. How the hell are we gonna get her off this thing. After some time we decide the only way is to cut the rebar and take her to the hospital with the rebar sticking out both "ends". We're really worried about any cutting causing vibrations that make some internal disruption worse or loosen a clotted area and she bleeds out. Can't use a torch obviously and the hydraulic shears will cause a huge snap and jerk in the rebar when it cuts through. So we decide on a circular saw with the metal blade......however where we are going to cut is literally next to her head and inches from the shoulder/back of the firefighter taking her weight from underneath and the trench is barely wide enough to get the saw in sideways. No room for error.....at all.  

But...........no other way so the saw it is. While the crew is setting up, an asbestos blanket between her head and the cut spot, the firefighter is already in his turnout coat so we don't do anything there although its getting blood soaked and things are a bit slippery when you try to grab & hold. I start two Lactated Ringers IV's with large bore needles, one in each arm, for fluid replacement but I have absolutely no idea if they will even run with her upside down and her whole body above the arms, I'm thinking not.....so we wrapped a blood pressure cuff around each bag and inflated them just a bit hoping it would overcome any back pressure without blowing the vein. Long story short.........we cut the bar. Lifted her out of the hole (which was no easy feat, all floppy and slippery) got her onto the gurney with the rebar sticking out both ends and off to the hospital we go. They didn't even stop in the ER and we wheeled her straight into the OR where the surgical team was already assembled and scrubbed.

She lived............the trauma surgeon later told us it was the most amazing thing he had ever seen. His assessment was as she fell and hit the rebar it took a big flap of scalp which "padded" the end of the rebar as it passed through (and bleed like shit!!) which "moved" all the organs etc aside. He concluded this because during the initial surgery there were scalp remnants and hair in her chest cavity. 

We never saw her again as she was transferred to a big regional hospital for more surgeries and treatment and was hospitalized for quite a while, but we kinda followed her progress from reports from the trauma team and trauma nurse coordinator. She got several REALLY big infections and it was not an easy road.

Pretty amazing stuff. 

• Like 2

May be an image of text that says 'Let's all take a moment to appreciate the time and effort this guy spent putting a strap on his dirt so it wouldn' fall off.'

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:
Concerning Growth In Number Of Giant Flies As Adventurers Keep Slaying All The Giant Spiders

Life

October 14th, 2021 - BabylonBee.com

article-9697-2.jpg

We cannot escape the Law of Unintended Consequences, no matter how pure & good our motives.

- DSK

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

We cannot escape the Law of Unintended Consequences, no matter how pure & good our motives.

- DSK

giphy.gif

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Autonomous said:

attachment_be23656f440755ccc4c3b2da2da55

Some morons will do anything for a meme.  The US Public Health Service doesn't do any nukes. The US PHS Commissioned Corps wears Navy uniforms.  I supervised a few up to O-6.  Fine folks.  They deploy after natural disasters etc.  Some deployed to A-stan.

• Like 2

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and text that says 'CHRISTIANS KEEP MOVING THIS A HEATHEN NEIGHBORHOOD. IS'

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Autonomous said:

attachment_be23656f440755ccc4c3b2da2da55

14 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Some morons will do anything for a meme.  The US Public Health Service doesn't do any nukes. The US PHS Commissioned Corps wears Navy uniforms.  I supervised a few up to O-6.  Fine folks.  They deploy after natural disasters etc.  Some deployed to A-stan.

Did Caligula's horse have a dick, too?