• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I actually believe in SHC, very reluctantly. There are some cases which are otherwise inexplicable. Like that one...

I don’t “believe” in it. But……I have no explanation within my understanding of combustion and fire development that can account for what I saw. Over 37 years, only ever saw those exact circumstances once. So I certainly have no criticism of your view. I just have a hard time conceptualizing the concept.

Like I said……. I got nothing…… 

56 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I don’t “believe” in it. But……I have no explanation within my understanding of combustion and fire development that can account for what I saw. Over 37 years, only ever saw those exact circumstances once. So I certainly have no criticism of your view. I just have a hard time conceptualizing the concept.

I wonder how many responders have seen that just once in their careers, like you. That would add up to a lot of incidents even if it was just one out of every hundred. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Point Break said:
11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I actually believe in SHC, very reluctantly. There are some cases which are otherwise inexplicable. Like that one...

Not everything must be explained. I am not willing to "believe in" SHC even if it's the most likely explanation for events that are quite well documented, even if very rare/infrequent... and I'm also not willing to diss experiences like yours.

It's like ghosts. I do not believe in ghosts, but I have experienced some extremely weird and unexplainable stuff in a location that was said to be haunted.

The universe is an extremely complicated and disorderly place.

- DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not everything must be explained. I am not willing to "believe in" SHC even if it's the most likely explanation for events that are quite well documented, even if very rare/infrequent... and I'm also not willing to diss experiences like yours.

It's like ghosts. I do not believe in ghosts, but I have experienced some extremely weird and unexplainable stuff in a location that was said to be haunted.

The universe is an extremely complicated and disorderly place.

- DSK

I want everything explained. But I know that is not to be so for those “unexplainable” things I simply say…….”that was weird” and drive on. 

I do enjoy Carl Sagan’s approach to those questions in his book Demon Haunted World - Science as a Candle in the Dark. 

• Like 1

WHEN THE DEBATE IS LOST,

SLANDER BECOMES THE TOOL OF LOSERS. 

I read a book on weird phenomena many years ago that had a chapter called Spontaneous Human Combustion. The takeaway was that yes, it did happen, albeit very very rarely, and that the one thing in common with all the cases was that it happened to very obese people that happened to be very drunk. 

May be an image of coffee cup

• Like 3

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'TOOK MY DOG CAMPING AND AS He SAT THERE STARING AT THE FIRE BLANKLY... I'REALIZED He LOVES STICKS. |WAS BURNING A GIANT PILE OF HIS TOYS.'

• Like 3
On 10/10/2021 at 10:03 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

av5bwb5_460swp.webp

not a thing

13 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'TOOK MY DOG CAMPING AND AS He SAT THERE STARING AT THE FIRE BLANKLY... I'REALIZED He LOVES STICKS. |WAS BURNING A GIANT PILE OF HIS TOYS.'

7 hours ago, Gissie said:

More likely he is trying to pretend there is nothing around his neck...

Or "Turn your head for one second so I can get the marshmallow"

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bmiller said:

I had a friends Lab who went and grabbed the burning log out of the fire and proceeded to play keep away while running around starting the woods on fire. Six of us stomping out the embers as the dog continued to run around thinking what a fun time this was.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, bmiller said:

My dog and his mate, both Labs, used to tag team people eating on the beach. One would approach from the front, staring at the food in their hand.

They would tell the dog to bugger off, plus move had behind them for protection. Which was where the other one was waiting. Gentle removal from hand and off.

Was a joy to watch. As they got better known less people fell for it, but when it worked the audience was bigger.

• Like 5

ok all you anti SHC-ers, then how do you explain all of Spinal Taps' exploding drummers?! huh? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dyslexic dog said:

I had a friends Lab who went and grabbed the burning log out of the fire and proceeded to play keep away while running around starting the woods on fire. Six of us stomping out the embers as the dog continued to run around thinking what a fun time this was.

Mrs. Oleareys dog didde same waye backe when in Chicagoe.  Afraide the neihbores woude shoote the dogg, she blammed the cowe..............                             :)

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Gissie said:

My dog and his mate, both Labs, used to tag team people eating on the beach. One would approach from the front, staring at the food in their hand.

They would tell the dog to bugger off, plus move had behind them for protection. Which was where the other one was waiting. Gentle removal from hand and off.

Was a joy to watch. As they got better known less people fell for it, but when it worked the audience was bigger.

wish Kali/Merican voters weren't in the more shallow end of the pool

stupidest dog smarter than the 80%tile of those casting a ballot

no not talking about citizens or registered voters

jus sayin

8 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

ok all you anti SHC-ers, then how do you explain all of Spinal Taps' exploding drummers?! huh? 

The police said this was a mystery that was "better left unsolved".

Oh wait, that was the bizarre gardening accident, not the spontaneous human combustion.  I always get those mixed up!

2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

wish Kali/Merican voters weren't in the more shallow end of the pool

stupidest dog smarter than the 80%tile of those casting a ballot

no not talking about citizens or registered voters

jus sayin

Then that brain transplant is scheduled, please let us all know.

• Like 1

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Me sliding the straw in and out of a McDonald's cup'

• Like 1
On 10/10/2021 at 10:45 PM, Point Break said:

That's because you worked in Cali, not here in west Texas where it's over 100 for days on end, and 115-118 is not uncommon.

SHC is so commonplace here it no longer makes the news. People just go "Poof" on the sidewalk and there's a small pile of ash, and that's it. 

Usually newcomers who haven't acclimated yet....

B)

• Like 7

May be an image of 4 people and text that says 'SRA NEWSTHUMP.COM Blue Origin crew concerned by new uniforms ahead of Shatner space flight'

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

That's because you worked in Cali, not here in west Texas where it's over 100 for days on end, and 115-118 is not uncommon.

SHC is so commonplace here it no longer makes the news. People just go "Poof" on the sidewalk and there's a small pile of ash, and that's it. 

B)

I remember when it would be on the news - usually accompanied by someone seeing if it was hot enough to fry an egg. 

6 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

B)

So you could cook a rare steak while it just sat there on a plate next to you? It might take a while, but that's just not right.

May be an image of text that says 'They met met on line'

• Like 2

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'When your grandma crochets you something, you wear it'

• Like 1

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'What do you have with no fat and no sugar? Napkins'

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, LakeBoy said:

Guess who is going to get a free seat on the next Virgin Galactic flight

Star Trek: Picard is the dark reboot that boldly goes where nobody wanted  it to | Star Trek | The Guardian

On 10/15/2021 at 2:57 PM, LakeBoy said:
On 10/15/2021 at 7:32 AM, Marcjsmith said:

uxh5ezRojYQ2PmlilqIhEwJe4Fynl32T87otKJuL

Expand  

Guess who is going to get a free seat on the next Virgin Galactic flight

Apparently not anyone relevant; such as Prince Williams (The Duke of Cambridge). 

In fact I'm struggling with any recent & apropos British aerospace contributions...

image.png

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aRr6RqB_460swp.webp

Not true.

Just last night my wife was watching one of those ER reality shows.

The patient had been on the roof with a shovel (don't know why). He dropped the shovel then fell off, landing butt first on the handle which pegged him all the way to his armpit.

He lived and was actually not badly damaged.

I suppose you could say he was lucky but...

I'll bet he uses a D handle shovel next time.

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not true.

Just last night my wife was watching one of those ER reality shows.

The patient had been on the roof with a shovel (don't know why). He dropped the shovel then fell off, landing butt first on the handle which pegged him all the way to his armpit.

He lived and was actually not badly damaged.

I suppose you could say he was lucky but...

I'll bet he uses a D handle shovel next time.

BD3A63B7-B740-C23F-DC21008797F0072D.jpg

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/suspected-thief-impaled-on-fence-spike-343642

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

So early morning on the beach a woman is jogging in the sand in the dawn near light. Foggy morning as well. Unbeknownst to her there is construction underway for a building and the fence footings have been dug (pretty darn deep) and the concrete is poured and the vertical steel set. So here is a pit with rebar set in concrete at the bottom. You guessed it............into the pit she falls headfirst impaling herself on one of the upright rebar. It enters around her clavicle passes through her chest, through her abdomen, through her pelvic girdle and out her buttocks (right cheek as I remember). Her legs are bent over pretty much at the waist and she is kinda suspended a foot to 18 inches above the concrete. I don't remember who called 911 but we arrive and there she is....hanging from the rebar....and conscious...sotra. One of the engine company guys hops in the hole and pushing his shoulder under hers, takes the weight of her hanging. Now what......you talk about a head scratcher. How the hell are we gonna get her off this thing. After some time we decide the only way is to cut the rebar and take her to the hospital with the rebar sticking out both "ends". We're really worried about any cutting causing vibrations that make some internal disruption worse or loosen a clotted area and she bleeds out. Can't use a torch obviously and the hydraulic shears will cause a huge snap and jerk in the rebar when it cuts through. So we decide on a circular saw with the metal blade......however where we are going to cut is literally next to her head and inches from the shoulder/back of the firefighter taking her weight from underneath and the trench is barely wide enough to get the saw in sideways. No room for error.....at all.  

But...........no other way so the saw it is. While the crew is setting up, an asbestos blanket between her head and the cut spot, the firefighter is already in his turnout coat so we don't do anything there although its getting blood soaked and things are a bit slippery when you try to grab & hold. I start two Lactated Ringers IV's with large bore needles, one in each arm, for fluid replacement but I have absolutely no idea if they will even run with her upside down and her whole body above the arms, I'm thinking not.....so we wrapped a blood pressure cuff around each bag and inflated them just a bit hoping it would overcome any back pressure without blowing the vein. Long story short.........we cut the bar. Lifted her out of the hole (which was no easy feat, all floppy and slippery) got her onto the gurney with the rebar sticking out both ends and off to the hospital we go. They didn't even stop in the ER and we wheeled her straight into the OR where the surgical team was already assembled and scrubbed.

She lived............the trauma surgeon later told us it was the most amazing thing he had ever seen. His assessment was as she fell and hit the rebar it took a big flap of scalp which "padded" the end of the rebar as it passed through (and bleed like shit!!) which "moved" all the organs etc aside. He concluded this because during the initial surgery there were scalp remnants and hair in her chest cavity. 

We never saw her again as she was transferred to a big regional hospital for more surgeries and treatment and was hospitalized for quite a while, but we kinda followed her progress from reports from the trauma team and trauma nurse coordinator. She got several REALLY big infections and it was not an easy road.

Pretty amazing stuff. 

• Like 2