Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1625906988531.jpg

Excellent

On a side note, I have to disagree about the MP3

Played over the same amp/speakers, a high bit-rate MP3 cannot be told from any other format by the most discerning ear available. It's all snobbery.

Snobbery is good (to a certain extent), we need culture and values and all that. But let's be real

- DSK

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2021 at 6:06 AM, D.M.D. said:

image_6cf22a5e4719279d4a5e71781d99491001ed4eb7.png

There are only three correct answers to this question, 21, 29, or 39.  I leave to the user to have the wisdom to know which applies in their particular case. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

There are only three correct answers to this question, 21, 29, or 39.  I leave to the user to have the wisdom to know which applies in their particular case. 

There's actually a 4th answer, and it's 100. As in how fast can you do the 100 yard dash......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

There's actually a 4th answer, and it's 100. As in how fast can you do the 100 yard dash......

Actually the only reasonable reply to the 'guess my age game' is " I don't care how old you are as long as you're at least 18.

You avoid so many problems with that statement.

As long as we are talking about difficult questions that women ask, there's only one thing you can do if a woman asks "Does this (whatever item of clothing) make me look fat?"  Clap your hand over your moth, make retching noises and tell her you must have gotten a bad chicken quesadilla from the food truck at at work.  Then run for the bathroom.  Hopefully when you come out of the bathroom 20 minutes later after making a lot of noise and flushing the toilet 2 or 3 times she will have forgotten that she asked.  If she didn't forget, you're fucked.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

Actually the only reasonable reply to the 'guess my age game' is " I don't care how old you are as long as you're at least 18.

You avoid so many problems with that statement.

As long as we are talking about difficult questions that women ask, there's only one thing you can do if a woman asks "Does this (whatever item of clothing) make me look fat?"  Clap your hand over your moth, make retching noises and tell her you must have gotten a bad chicken quesadilla from the food truck at at work.  Then run for the bathroom.  Hopefully when you come out of the bathroom 20 minutes later after making a lot of noise and flushing the toilet 2 or 3 times she will have forgotten that she asked.  If she didn't forget, you're fucked.

This is why I've always suggested to my male remodeling clients to go with at least a 3-6 x 3-0 sliding window in their bathrooms. Much easier to crawl thru.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

This is why I've always suggested to my male remodeling clients to go with at least a 3-6 x 3-0 sliding window in their bathrooms. Much easier to crawl thru.....

Ahh, the voice of experience!  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

As long as we are talking about difficult questions that women ask, there's only one thing you can do if a woman asks "Does this (whatever item of clothing) make me look fat?"  

"Of course not, dearest.  You look fat in anything."

THAT'S when you run for your escape hatch.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

"Of course not, dearest.  You look fat in anything."

THAT'S when you run for your escape hatch.

I've had a pretty exciting life and 3 wives but I know my limits.  There's just some things, not many, but some things that I just won't do.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

I've had a pretty exciting life and 3 wives but I know my limits.  There's just some things, not many, but some things that I just won't do.

I've had an olde saying going back at least 45 years.

'If I haven't done it.....I've seen it done'.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

I've had an olde saying going back at least 45 years.

'If I haven't done it.....I've seen it done'.....

One of my guiding principles in life has always been "If you're ready for anything, then anything can happen."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sean said:

3831A0F3-01DD-411E-A83F-E6F3AB3E44E5.jpeg

Remarkably intellectual for a pickup driver.

Reminded me of an ad for a Jeep 4X4 - "Does the 4 wheel drive work? Hell yes, like a Dickensian orphan".

You have to wonder who, if any of the target market gets it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Remarkably intellectual for a pickup driver.

Reminded me of an ad for a Jeep 4X4 - "Does the 4 wheel drive work? Hell yes, like a Dickensian orphan".

You have to wonder who, if any of the target market gets it.

 

"Like a rented Mule" would be more apropos for that audience...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, D.M.D. said:

5a5ee37f_74bf_4ba7_b6ce_c3650cac9803_3b6f245773d85bfc5416fe8daf9e5690279cf7f3.jpeg.jpg

And that's a Volvo... hmm, must be plenty safe, then

Also just realized, I don't see any duct tape in this pic! Possibly some other country than the USA?

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites

May be a cartoon of text that says 'THE PROBLEM WITH DOG BASEBALL'

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D.M.D. said:

5a5ee37f_74bf_4ba7_b6ce_c3650cac9803_3b6f245773d85bfc5416fe8daf9e5690279cf7f3.jpeg.jpg

Wow, what a coincidence.  Here is the latest installment from SV Rusty Junk.  He moves the boat to a yard near the water.  I was holding my breath most of the video.  Makes the guy above look like an amateur.  It's 9 minutes and 48 seconds of your life that you'll never get back, but it's worth it in a perverse kind of way.  Actually watching the entire series of his videos as he builds this frankenboat disguised as an oil can is time well spent too.  YCMTSU folks.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A well secured load!!!

May be an image of outdoors

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

I've had an olde saying going back at least 45 years.

'If I haven't done it.....I've seen it done'.....

so many questions come to mind....

 

Midget clown posse threesomes.....

 

Donkeys in Tijuana......

 

Who invented liquid soap and why??.....

 

:P

 

 

WL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

I've had an olde saying going back at least 45 years.

'If I haven't done it.....I've seen it done'.....

that's what you get for going to Tijuana

 

and the age thing,  always go lowball... unless she's in her teens, then you can make them feel better,  just keep your hands off..

 

and it's always the 10

FB_IMG_1623746428150.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2021 at 12:37 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Played over the same amp/speakers, a high bit-rate MP3 cannot be told from any other format by the most discerning ear available. It's all snobbery.

there's no way to shrink the file size and maintain the same information .

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mid said:

there's no way to shrink the file size and maintain the same information .

Sure you can - it's the same physics principle as squeezing a quart into a pint pot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

But there's something so good about walking over to the stereo stack after cooking your date a fine dinner, and just placing the arm on the first track. 

Then wander back to the sofa, put an arm around, and enjoy.

You may never get to side 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2021 at 12:37 AM, Steam Flyer said:

 

Played over the same amp/speakers, a high bit-rate MP3 cannot be told from any other format by the most discerning ear available. It's all snobbery.

 

 I have a most discerning ear (40 years as a pro musician), and I can tell the difference between MP3, CD, and vinyl. Most people can't.

If the music is good, it really doesn't matter. 

Snobbery is when you keep talking about your expensive system. Just like ranting on about your car, it's usually a sublimated "my dick is bigger than yours" deal.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, P_Wop said:

"Of course not, dearest.  You look fat in anything."

THAT'S when you run for your escape hatch.

OK, it's true confession time.  

A few years ago I went to Berlin to meet up  with a young lady friend for a nice dinner.  I hadn't seen here for a while.  When we met up I discerned that she might have gained a little weight since I had last seen her.  

We went to the restaurant and after we had looked at the menu and ordered our food she excused herself to go powder her nose as it were.  As I observed her walking away I decided there was definitely a little extra weight.  Now don't get me wrong, she still had a fine figure and looked great.  

She came back from the rest room and somehow some kind of evil pixie took over my brain and my mouth moved totally out of my control.  I said to her "Hey, I'm just curious, how much do you weigh now?"  Well in the words of the old song by Heart; "If looks could kill, you'd be lying on the floor.  You'd be begging please, please, please baby, don't hurt me no more."  

Somehow I apologized my way out of that terrible mistake.  Amazingly she didn't walk out of the restaurant or try to eviscerate me with a butter knife.  That had to be about 5 years ago and every now and then when I visit with her she still reminds of that fateful evening and we have a good laugh about it. 

Better men than me have died for less.  I dodged a bullet that time and I have promised myself never to be that stupid again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mid said:
On 7/10/2021 at 10:37 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Played over the same amp/speakers, a high bit-rate MP3 cannot be told from any other format by the most discerning ear available. It's all snobbery.

there's no way to shrink the file size and maintain the same information .

It's all about the wave.

Sound is pressure waves. If the information on the shape of that wave is accurate beyond the ability of the human ear to detect, then you can't tell the difference.

If you want to fit 3 hours of music onto a CD, then yeah it's going to be compressed and have some fidelity loss. If you only want to fit 1 hour, then it can be as perfect as it was played/sung by the artist.

I've been present for about a dozen tests of this. A high bit-rate MP3 does not lose any information.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

so many questions come to mind....

Who invented liquid soap and why??.....

:P

WL

 

THIS^^^^^ 

WTF, it's 90 % water, what a waste!! :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, P_Wop said:

But there's something so good about walking over to the stereo stack after cooking your date a fine dinner, and just placing the arm on the first track. 

Then wander back to the sofa, put an arm around, and enjoy.

You may never get to side 2.

Is that some sort of double entendre?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Virgin Galactic flight reached space, this past Saturday, the announcer said: "This is Virgin territory now".

I'm thinking, not for long:

image.thumb.png.29996bf6e1dfb74919487e36ce524360.png

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sean said:

B0047B4C-ED91-43B4-A2D3-75999FB22F2D.jpeg

Did the same with the Floyd hill sign back in the day...  I think I might have one in the garage that was procreated sometime in the early 90's...  LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

May be an image of pizza

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites