• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Well, he is the story's biggest protagonist.

But you've been tilting at windmills quite a bit recently.

Just sayin'. ;)

Exactly.  I am an idealist, bleeding heart lefty that believes in unicorns and rainbows.  I dream the impossible dream every night.  It's not like I want to be this way, I can't help it!  I wish I could be a selfish fuck and not give a shit about anyone but myself.  Oh well.

27 minutes ago, See Level said:

Jack Newhouse sounds a lot less sexy.

Everything sounds better in Italian!

And everything sounds ugly in German.  

It's Newtons 2nd Law of Language.  

3 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

1C62F990-02D1-468D-A5C6-04F1E9618AEF.jpeg

Oh FFS.  It's Giacomo not Giovanni.

Giacomo is James, Giovanni is John.  

It would be like calling you Sail for Ale!  Similar, but not the same.  

I know they have at least one Italian deli in Tims River!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, valis said:

Pretty cool trick, but that's not quite a real bowline.

Yeah that is a Tugboat Bowline and I have run into waterfront bar dudes making a big deal about having the fastest bowline. I like to point out the extra bight in the knot and then tell them that I can do a bonified bowline in a flying manner and can beat them on speed. I don't have a video of my true Flying Bowline but may have to post one. Bar drinks won with a trick know taste extra special for some reason. I used to give my drink donor about 15 minutes to try and emulate my Flying Bowline and then holler over, 'Dude, I'm thirsty again, want to try and beat me again?'

I have gotten as many as three drinks from the same guy and they tend to get pretty pissed so I give them one more chance and ask them if they have ever seen a 'Dragon Bowline'. Then I do the knot in this video and have had to run for the door a time or two...

I can sometimes do the slipknot bowline, but it usually ends up with the tail on the wrong side.  My favorite bowline trick is tying it one-handed.  Learned that one in the Boy Scouts (say you're hanging by one hand from a cliff, and someone throws you a rope).  Not all that practical, but still fun. 

I've spent many hours in the middle of the North Pacific, trading knot tricks and techniques with my crew.  And Mobius Strip tricks.

58 minutes ago, valis said:

I can sometimes do the slipknot bowline, but it usually ends up with the tail on the wrong side.  My favorite bowline trick is tying it one-handed.  Learned that one in the Boy Scouts (say you're hanging by one hand from a cliff, and someone throws you a rope).  Not all that practical, but still fun. 

I've spent many hours in the middle of the North Pacific, trading knot tricks and techniques with my crew.  And Mobius Strip tricks.

Back when I was a youngster doing my first Hobarts, the BN on a well-known Sydney boat was pissed on board our boat one night, and slurred at us youngsters "Ya can't call yourselves "sailors" unless you can tie a bowline one-handed, behind yer back, while pissed".  Well, as I wanted to impress this old salt, by the next night when he came over for beers, I could tie a bowline, one-handed, behind my back (the while pissed part was just practice).  I won a lot of free drinks with that trick over the years.

46 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Back when I was a youngster doing my first Hobarts, the BN on a well-known Sydney boat was pissed on board our boat one night, and slurred at us youngsters "Ya can't call yourselves "sailors" unless you can tie a bowline one-handed, behind yer back, while pissed".  Well, as I wanted to impress this old salt, by the next night when he came over for beers, I could tie a bowline, one-handed, behind my back (the while pissed part was just practice).  I won a lot of free drinks with that trick over the years.

Tied one with my toes once. looped though a padeye, while holding down a spin pole with a broken downfucker with both hands.  

Does that count?

NB, I wasn't pissed, but I was seriously hung over.  

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Go Left said:

Tied one with my toes once. looped though a padeye, while holding down a spin pole with a broken downfucker with both hands.  

Does that count?

Really?  I think you've earned the prize!

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

He said BN :o:lol::lol::lol::lol:;)B):rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Go Left said:

Does that count?

That's worth more than just a LIKE

We need a Fuckin' A button

- DSK

• Like 2
1 hour ago, valis said:

Really?  I think you've earned the prize!

the major problem was the arch cramp, trying to grip the side of the rabbit hole with my big and long toes to pull the tail through after going around the tree.  

Did a transpac with a bunch of Kiwis and Thirsty Bertie from S.A....this is years ago...where they spent most of their downtime betting on bowline speed tying.  They were well under three seconds from grab the line to tug.   I didn't even try to compete.

2 hours ago, tane said:

whereas the melody of the  Polish language...

Have you ever listened to somebody speaking Polish?  In spite of the dearth of vowels, it is often a very melodious language.  It certainly doesn't have the hard edges of the German language.

16 minutes ago, hobot said:

Merry-Christmas-to-everyone-spending-without-their-families-cause-of-work-I-hope-we-get-to-spend-next-Christmas.jpg

I'm more cynical than that.

When you get older you've simply acquired all the shit you always wanted.

And you've come to accept that the other stuff just ain't gonna happen.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm more cynical than that.

When you get older you've simply acquired all the shit you always wanted.

And you've come to accept that the other stuff just ain't gonna happen needed.

FIFY

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Have you ever listened to somebody speaking Polish?  In spite of the dearth of vowels, it is often a very melodious language.  It certainly doesn't have the hard edges of the German language.

...& have you ever found a Kraut-native-speaker that had learned understandable Polish (& got the spelling right?)? For us Kraut speakers it's another one of those "unlearnable" languages...

6 hours ago, tane said:

...& have you ever found a Kraut-native-speaker that had learned understandable Polish (& got the spelling right?)? For us Kraut speakers it's another one of those "unlearnable" languages...

Actually spelling in Polish isn't difficult once you learn the letters for certain sounds.  Like German, Polish is a phonetic language and consistently so.  Not at all like English.  For example in Polish 'szcz'  is pronounced 'shte'.  If you learn that then it's easy to spell when you hear it. A 'c' followed by a vowel is always pronounced as a soft 'ch'.  So the Polish port city of Szczecin is pronounced Shte-chin, and it's easy to spell by the sound.

The nightmare in learning Polish is the grammar.  There are 7 cases and the word changes slightly for every case, and then there is the gender thing.  I never could understand why many languages assign gender for inanimate objects.  Why is that important????  Who cares if a table is masculine or feminine.

I live across the Oder river from Germany.  Many Germans come from Frankfurt Oder and from as far as Berlin about 1 hour away, to take advantage of th elwoer prices for many things in our town, particularly gasoline and cigarettes.  In th 13 years I've lived here I've come across 2 or 3 German people that can actually speak Polish.  Most of them don't even bother to learn dzien dobry (good day)  or prosze (please/you're welcome) or dziękuje (thank you).  They just expect everyone in our town to speak German.  Which almost everyone here that works in the shops and many others do.

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I live across the Oder river from Germany.  Many Germans come from Frankfurt Oder and from as far as Berlin about 1 hour away, to take advantage of th elwoer prices for many things in our town, particularly gasoline and cigarettes.  In th 13 years I've lived here I've come across 2 or 3 German people that can actually speak Polish.  Most of them don't even bother to learn dzien dobry (good day)  or prosze (please/you're welcome) or dziękuje (thank you).  They just expect everyone in our town to speak German.  Which almost everyone here that works in the shops and many others do.

They sound like Brits. :D

A co-worker told me a great story that illustrates that attitude. She lived with a UC family in England for a while. They had a black sheep son they were fed up with so they sent him to live with friends in Argentina - sort of a remittance man situation.

He couldn't speak a word of Spanish so to force the issue they sent him to their ranch in the pampas where no-one spoke English.

6 months later they went to pick him up and he still couldn't speak a word of Spanish but all the ranch hands could speak English. :lol:

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

6 months later they went to pick him up and he still couldn't speak a word of Spanish but all the ranch hands could speak English. :lol:

That sound like me.  I've lived in Poland for more than 13 years now but learning a difficult language like Polish is just too difficult for my old brain.  I can speak a little and understand a lot, but I have helped a lot of Polish people learn English!  

I always tell my students it's easy to learn simple, basic English, a young person can become good at it in a year often.  There is no such thing as simple Polish.  The grammar is so convoluted you either learn it all or you can't speak Polish.  

The other problem with languages like Polish is that very few non Polish people have a reason to learn Polish.  So Poles are not used to hear their language being abused by non native speakers, so the slightest mispronunciation or wrong grammar and they don't understand what I am saying.  Us native English speakers hear bad English all of the time.  So we are used to figuring out what people are trying to say.  I tell my students that my mother came to the US from Italy when she was 20 years old, and while she became fluent, she still had a heavy Italian accent and made mistakes on occasion.  I tell the I grew up hearing bad English, so I had no problem with their mistakes!

What is a "UC family?"