Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

100 years ago?  I grew up on Lake Erie in Erie, Pennsylvania.  Long Point Canada was only 18 miles across the lake(Long Point sticks way out into the lake, hence it's name).  More than one person (but not many) has swum across the lake From Long Point to Presque Isle peninsula in Erie.  

When I was a kid, it was only a couple of hours to Buffalo, NY, and then Niagara Falls.  We would often take out of town visitors to the falls.  Crossing to the Canadian side for the best view was never a problem, never had to show ID or anything.  And folks with decent sized boats (25'+) in Erie would often cross the lake to Canada, again no problem.  

Back in the early 70's some friends of mine drove down to Oroville Wa. - right on the border on Osoyoos lake - for some Sunday drinking (bars were closed on Sunday in B.C. in those days).

Car full of longhairs and Jeff didn't have any money so they said he had to go back. They drove him a mile up the road and let him out then they went back & crossed while he swam across down the lake.

Later he got picked up for something and while he was being questioned they asked how he entered the States.

"I swam" :lol:

He was (is) such a charmer he got all the border guards & cops laughing and they gave him a ride to the border and told him not to do it again.

Nowadays he'd probably end up in Gitmo. Deep shit for certain.

Sometimes the G.O.D.'s really were.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It was interesting to talk to my dad about what the Canadian/American border was like 100 years ago - a very porous thing, completely unlike today.

His side of the family came up from Virginia and seemingly passed back & forth at will.

When he was a teenager he would spend summers working in his uncles bank in S.F. - just went down & worked - no green cards or any other restrictions.

His grandfather lived & worked in Calgary, Seattle, Vancouver & Alaska, moving between them like it was all the same country.

His aunts & uncles were variously born in Canada and the USA as the family moved around.

My grandfather bought a cottage 2 miles(by crow) from the border on the st Lawrence.

We all grew up in the 80's and 90's crossing the boarder like swiss cheese with whatever random parent happened to be going.(part of a 20 cottage coop so there were kids of all ages.

 

Cant imagine what it has been like for the last 15 years.  First 9/11  then the real id passport issues means crossing is a chore. Instead of a 5 minute activity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Liquid said:

 

When I lived in Boston, I was told you don't use your blinkers because you don't want to give away your next move!

That's right.  Cause, if I put on my blinker that I am exiting 128 some masshole will floor it and try to pass me before I exit before them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

That's right.  Cause, if I put on my blinker that I am exiting 128 some masshole will floor it and try to pass me before I exit before them.

I get the feeling that you are one of those entitled mofos who think putting on your blinker gives you the right to change lanes and that everyone should slam on their brakes to accommodate your whimsical desires.

 

 

 

 

 

lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

I get the feeling that you are one of those entitled mofos who think putting on your blinker gives you the right to change lanes and that everyone should slam on their brakes to accommodate your whimsical desires.

 

 

 

 

 

lol

The English call them "Indicators"  It is NOT a request for permission, it is an indictation of what I am going to do. Rear end me? Fine, hope you have insurance.  Need to be there sooner? Leave earlier, I pay the same taxes you do.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, warbird said:

The English call them "Indicators"  It is NOT a request for permission, it is an indictation of what I am going to do. Rear end me? Fine, hope you have insurance.  Need to be there sooner? Leave earlier, I pay the same taxes you do.

I see, apparently we have Another entitled biddy on the roads. You need to reacquaint yourself with the rules of the road.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Back in the early 70's some friends of mine drove down to Oroville Wa. - right on the border on Osoyoos lake - for some Sunday drinking (bars were closed on Sunday in B.C. in those days).

Car full of longhairs and Jeff didn't have any money so they said he had to go back. They drove him a mile up the road and let him out then they went back & crossed while he swam across down the lake.

Later he got picked up for something and while he was being questioned they asked how he entered the States.

"I swam" :lol:

He was (is) such a charmer he got all the border guards & cops laughing and they gave him a ride to the border and told him not to do it again.

Nowadays he'd probably end up in Gitmo. Deep shit for certain.

Sometimes the G.O.D.'s really were.

That border crossing was known as an easy place to enter Canada BITD.  I have a friend who was a draft dodger that came in there in the 60's.  My parents came across there after being persecuted by the FBI in the McCarthy era before driving to Vancouver for work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, warbird said:

The English call them "Indicators"  It is NOT a request for permission, it is an indictation of what I am going to do. Rear end me? Fine, hope you have insurance.  Need to be there sooner? Leave earlier, I pay the same taxes you do.

Turn signals do not give you the right of way.

I suspect you call your hazard flashers "Park Anywhere Lights"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Turn signals do not give you the right of way.

I suspect you call your hazard flashers "Park Anywhere Lights"

They do in Germany.  You can be tooling down the autobahn in the left lane, passing cars at 110 mph.  Then some grandad in an Opel in the right lane driving 62 miles an hour puts on his turn signal to pass a truck that's going 60.  The grandad will cut right in front of you because the German right of way law says that any car, in almost any circumstance, to your right has priority and you need to yield to them.  And I assure you the German drivers love to assert that privilege every chance they get.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, See Level said:

You guys are just using the wrong door. The one on the south side you can freely walk through and call an Uber to go wherever you want.

You are using the wrong forum.  

MAGA Anarchy is 7 doors down on the right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

They do in Germany.  You can be tooling down the autobahn in the left lane, passing cars at 110 mph.  Then some grandad in an Opel in the right lane driving 62 miles an hour puts on his turn signal to pass a truck that's going 60.  The grandad will cut right in front of you because the German right of way law says that any car, in almost any circumstance, to your right has priority and you need to yield to them.  And I assure you the German drivers love to assert that privilege every chance they get.

Reminds me of what I was told about the driving style of Nickolai Golachik, a fellow from Belarus that worked for the same glass company as me at the turn of the century.

It went something like: when you need to change lanes (say for an exit) find the most expensive looking car & cut him off, I gather Nickolai drove something of a junker with the theory that "he'll get out of my way", since I personally never heard about this ending in tears it appears to have worked.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

everyone should slam on their brakes

I"ll bet other drivers do that to you a lot. ;)

Just get off of the accelerator a bit, and wave the guy with the blinker along.

No need to get huffy or be a dick about it. It's only a lane change. lol

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

I see, apparently we have Another entitled biddy on the roads. You need to reacquaint yourself with the rules of the road.

 

I guess I don't understand the context here.  An indicator is just that.  Someone actively preventing that lane change is setting up a dangerous situation where the car prevented from moving must unnaturally slow all the rest of the traffic to achieve the destination thus putting all of the traffic in danger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, animeproblem said:

Reminds me of what I was told about the driving style of Nickolai Golachik, a fellow from Belarus that worked for the same glass company as me at the turn of the century.

It went something like: when you need to change lanes (say for an exit) find the most expensive looking car & cut him off, I gather Nickolai drove something of a junker with the theory that "he'll get out of my way", since I personally never heard about this ending in tears it appears to have worked.

It does - I used to drive beater wagons for parts chasers when I was building a boat.

I didn't cut people off but no-one would ever refuse to let me merge.

They knew I cared a whole lot less than they did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, warbird said:

I guess I don't understand the context here.  An indicator is just that.  Someone actively preventing that lane change is setting up a dangerous situation where the car prevented from moving must unnaturally slow all the rest of the traffic to achieve the destination thus putting all of the traffic in danger.

2019 I entered 5 freeway @ 80+mph on me Harley

went over to #1 lane and rode same speed as traffic

Mirrors shower Red/Blue lights coming up about a mile later

 

I pull over at OldTown offramp

dude ( Chippie Motor Unit) says I was doing at least 80 entering Freeway

I said Yes I do that as to Not get runover from behind buy idiots Flying along

he says "I do the same thing" but that's Not I pulled you over

Says I Did Not use turn signals before changing lanes

I explained that after so many years of riding:

I Don't count on anyone giving me Any Slack for having Blinkers on

AND All-2-Often, telegraphing intentions to want to go somewhere only gets people to maneuver into position to cut you off

I said I feel safer to just get around traffic as if they didn't see me, while allowing for Anything they might be about to do

 

he smiled and said He Want's me to Use the turn-signals or expect to be pulled over again

handed me back my License and told me to Be Safe and have a Nice Day (No Stinking Tickets)

 

When driving 45' Bus or Motorhome

if some idiot starts to follow along next to me, I give them 3 blinks

if they are still there I start moving over towards them

Most of the time they GTF out of the way

I Do Not move out of My Lane (It's All Mine from side to side)

Amazing how many never notice and keep texting or whatever away

 

Driving/Riding is an At-Risk Sport

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

main-qimg-3bfa9970ec4ef1d5c1d49bb455340c50-lq

JEWS one is Much Better !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Then some grandad in an Opel in the right lane driving 62 miles an hour puts on his turn signal to pass a truck that's going 60.  The grandad will cut right in front of you because the German right of way law says that any car, in almost any circumstance, to your right has priority and you need to yield to them.  And I assure you the German drivers love to assert that privilege every chance they get.

Grandad needs to check his mirrors and think a bit further ahead, but not as much as the guy doing 110. He's got to see that possibility from a good distance.

right of way changing lanes.svg

The vehicle traveling in a lane has a right of way (Vorrang) in its own lane. When a vehicle from another lane turns on the indicator to change its lane, the lane-changer is actually "requesting" the vehicle behind him in the intended lane to give a place for the lane-change maneuver.

https://routetogermany.com/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2021 at 12:49 PM, SloopJonB said:

It was interesting to talk to my dad about what the Canadian/American border was like 100 years ago - a very porous thing, completely unlike today.

His side of the family came up from Virginia and seemingly passed back & forth at will.

When he was a teenager he would spend summers working in his uncles bank in S.F. - just went down & worked - no green cards or any other restrictions.

His grandfather lived & worked in Calgary, Seattle, Vancouver & Alaska, moving between them like it was all the same country.

His aunts & uncles were variously born in Canada and the USA as the family moved around.

Growing up in Detroit was the same…we went back and forth to Windsor like it was just part of Detroit.  No hassles, lots of Canadians work in Detroit and still cross daily, albeit not as easily as before. And Canadians still come across for surgery if it can’t be done timely over there. The major hospitals I worked for had contracts to provide such services.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 130lights said:

Growing up in Detroit was the same…we went back and forth to Windsor like it was just part of Detroit.  No hassles, lots of Canadians work in Detroit and still cross daily, albeit not as easily as before. And Canadians still come across for surgery if it can’t be done timely over there. The major hospitals I worked for had contracts to provide such services.

 

Ice time was much cheaper in Windsor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2021 at 6:42 PM, Go Left said:

Tied one with my toes once. looped though a padeye, while holding down a spin pole with a broken downfucker with both hands.  

Does that count?

 

NB, I wasn't pissed, but I was seriously hung over.  

Done the iron cross thing a time or two, but whilst tying a fucking bowline with your fucking toes...  God damn man...  Well done...  

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Grandad needs to check his mirrors and think a bit further ahead, but not as much as the guy doing 110. He's got to see that possibility from a good distance.

No offense but how in the hell can you anticipate the behavior of every driver on the road? There is a possibility of every car in the right lane to pull out in front of you at an unsafe distance.  That's like saying that you should anticipate that the possibility is any person can run a red light a t-bone you.  WTF?  Of I misunderstood what you wrote, please let me know what you are trying to say.

2 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

The vehicle traveling in a lane has a right of way (Vorrang) in its own lane. When a vehicle from another lane turns on the indicator to change its lane, the lane-changer is actually "requesting" the vehicle behind him in the intended lane to give a place for the lane-change maneuver.

Perhapos the law has changed in recent years, I haven't lived in Germany for the last 13 years.  I do live on the border with Germany but I don't lot of long distance driving there any more.

However just the other day in our Polish town, where many Germans come to shop every day, I was on a 2 lane, one way city street in the left lane.  A German car was in the right lane., almost even with my car, maybe the front of his car was a maximum of 3 feet in front of the front of my car.  He put on his left turn signal indicating that he wanted to get in my lane.  There was no reason for me to put on my brakes and wait for him to get in front of me at city traffic speeds.  So I proceeded to maintain my speed and waited for him to slow down a tad and get behind me.  He proceeded to try to crowd me without increasing his speed, and I just kept driving.  We were getting very close to an intersection where you could turn left or right from the respective lanes we were in.  Obviously he wanted to get in the left lane, to turn left.  At the last moment he slowed down enough to get behind me and gave me a good 20 second blast on his horn while waving his hands and I presume yelling at me for not slowing down to let him in even though we are almost abreast of each other when this all started.  So he obviously thought that since he had his turn signal on, that he expected me to immediately hit my breaks and let him in front of me. Had he actually been in front of me even buy a foot, I probably would have let him get in front of me, I'm usually nice like that.  But he was almost even with me.  And we were probably both traveling 25 mph.  Who the fuck knows what he was thinking, except that he thought as long as his turn signal was on, then he had the right to get in front of me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

There was no reason for me to put on my brakes

I agree. He should have slowed to find room behind you.

 

6 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

No offense but how in the hell can you anticipate the behavior of every driver on the road?

They're all trying to kill you, each and every one of them.

No offense taken Edmund. :)

 

7 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

That's like saying that you should anticipate that the possibility is any person can run a red light a t-bone you. 

This maxim has saved me from just that at least a couple of times:

"There are no green lights."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

No offense but how in the hell can you anticipate the behavior of every driver on the road?

It's called defensive driving.

It's most basic concept is to assume that every other driver is an incompetent asshole.

In that sense it closely mirrors real life.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

I agree. He should have slowed to find room behind you.

 

They're all trying to kill you, each and every one of them.

No offense taken Edmund. :)

 

This maxim has saved me from just that at least a couple of times:

"There are no green lights."

 

Hey, I know they are out to kill me.  I am a very good driver.  I've been driving for almost 50 years and I've only had one accident and that was many years ago when I was going about 30 mph and slid of a snow covered, icy road and I clipped a small sign post and crumpled my right front fender.  I've lived and driven in the US,  Germany, Poland, Korea and Japan.  Each country has it's challenges.  Korean drivers were the worst and Polish drivers aren't far behind.  Germans are the best, albeit rude and the Japanese were not far behind them but very polite.  The US is in the middle in my experience.  But I think my driving record speaks for itself, I am careful, and always am looking for potential problems and taking measure to avoid them.  It's saved me more than a few times.  Defensive driving and common sense can help you not die for a stupid reason.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It's called defensive driving.

It's most basic concept is to assume that every other driver is an incompetent asshole.

In that sense it closely mirrors real life.

Of course, see my post above.  But it's impossible to avoid each and every idiot.  Not if you do any amount of driving.  

You know as well as I do if you and Someguy are that paranoid, you would never get behind the wheel of a car.  It sounds good but you can never anticipate every hazard on the road.  You can go far to minimize the risk but there's no way to avoid it.  And fortunately for all of us, there are still a fair amount of decent drivers on the road, even if it doesn't seem that way.  Except in Florida.  All bets are off in Florida!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2021 at 5:20 PM, tane said:

I a Kraut? No sir, not by a long way! I live in "a forest city", "in the forest" - according to the GPOAT of the USofA :-)

("linguistic pedantry" - I like that one!)

It took me a bit but I figured it out.  You're a Dane!  tane the Dane.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, peragrin said:

My wifes and i first night out in 3 years just got canceled due to our 3 year throwing up 3 times on his sitters for the night. (Dec 31st 6 pm). Does this get filed under 2021 or 2022?

21. And burn the file. 
Start 22 off with a, somewhat, clean sheet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

I"ll bet other drivers do that to you a lot. ;)

Just get off of the accelerator a bit, and wave the guy with the blinker along.

No need to get huffy or be a dick about it. It's only a lane change. lol

I invested in a dash cam specially for folks like you who don’t understand the rules of the road.

 

And boy did it pay dividend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peragrin said:

My wifes and i first night out in 3 years just got canceled due to our 3 year throwing up 3 times on his sitters for the night. (Dec 31st 6 pm). Does this get filed under 2021 or 2022?

3 years, 3 yo, 3 pukes.

There should be some omen or numerology thingie there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

I invested in a dash cam specially for folks like you who don’t understand the rules of the road.

 

And boy did it pay dividend.

Letting the other driver in? 

Dividends up the wazoo, I'm sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peragrin said:

My wifes and i first night out in 3 years just got canceled due to our 3 year throwing up 3 times on his sitters for the night. (Dec 31st 6 pm). Does this get filed under 2021 or 2022?

21  me thinks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

3 years, 3 yo, 3 pukes.

There should be some omen or numerology thingie there.

My old employee number was 333, I drew it with a little devil tail on the first 3, half the devil. That was, and still is, on all my personal equipment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea warrior said:

I invested in a dash cam specially for folks like you who don’t understand the rules of the road.

 

And boy did it pay dividend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

lol

It is not a race, it is travel on public roadways...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

I get the feeling that you are one of those entitled mofos who think putting on your blinker gives you the right to change lanes and that everyone should slam on their brakes to accommodate your whimsical desires.

 

 

 

 

 

lol

lol.  I was explaining the mindset.  I am a pretty mellow driver actually.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, warbird said:

It is not a race, it is travel on public roadways...

Exactly 

so slow down, put your turn signal/blinker/indicator on and wait until you have an opportunity to change lanes and don’t be putting your fellow travelers in jeopardy.

And above all else remember, it’s too late to put your signal on after you’ve begun the maneuver.

 

 

It really shouldn’t be that difficult of a concept to grasp.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BITD a company I owned had a large production area with a track around the inside somewhere about 300+ feet, polished concrete and several pallet jacks so......  it was limited to non working hours and we drew the line at using forklifts.  good times.  When peoples kids came in we also fired up the pallet wrapper as a merry go round.

We have to grow older but don't have to grow up.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, peragrin said:

My wifes and i first night out in 3 years just got canceled due to our 3 year throwing up 3 times on his sitters for the night. (Dec 31st 6 pm). Does this get filed under 2021 or 2022?

You don't have to decide until Dec 31, 2022. So you get the option of adding it to the pile of everything that makes whichever year worst.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Wolf.png

For some reason this reminded me of the Rodney King riots. You’d go down a street and the Korean shop owners were on their roofs with various long guns. I don’t recall any Korean owned shops that were looted or burned out after the first few days, although many were burned before that. Looking over the parapets, they made no secret they were up there and armed. 

Funny what things you remember and when.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

For some reason this reminded me of the Rodney King riots. You’d go down a street and the Korean shop owners were on their roofs with various long guns. I don’t recall any Korean owned shops that were looted or burned out after the first day. Looking over the parapets, they made no secret they were up there and armed. 

Funny what things you remember and when.

The Rodney King Intermurals were (mein Gott!) almost 30 years ago. I had just bought a house in a little city just north of Long Beach. Not fun, with solid walls of smoke on three sides and youths wilding a half a city block away. Didn't see a cop for three days.    

I had worked a bit in Little Korea, wiring several of their shops. The Koreans had a vibrant, cohesive, loud community, fun to work with. Many had just emigrated from Korea after serving in the military. I could easily see them instantly bonding together to defend their livelihoods. I even think I recognized one of the Roof Koreans from a photo.

In current Los Angeles, I'll bet they'd be in jail, arrested for daring to defend their property and lives.     

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Hey, I know they are out to kill me.  I am a very good driver.  I've been driving for almost 50 years and I've only had one accident and that was many years ago when I was going about 30 mph and slid of a snow covered, icy road and I clipped a small sign post and crumpled my right front fender.  I've lived and driven in the US,  Germany, Poland, Korea and Japan.  Each country has it's challenges.  Korean drivers were the worst and Polish drivers aren't far behind.  Germans are the best, albeit rude and the Japanese were not far behind them but very polite.  The US is in the middle in my experience.  But I think my driving record speaks for itself, I am careful, and always am looking for potential problems and taking measure to avoid them.  It's saved me more than a few times.  Defensive driving and common sense can help you not die for a stupid reason.

did you know, Ed, that, according to their OWN reckoning, more than 80% of our forest dwellers here have "above average" drivering skills?

I wonder if the lane changer (the guy pulling out behind a truck to overtake) has priority over the guy coming faster on the second lane. In the forest here this is not so. He may not even force the faster, second lane driver, to brake (this is done often here, though. Albeit "80% above average" drivers.) But it's definitely not a case of "right priority" (& I wonder if it's in Krautonia.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

haven't driven much in Poland at all (just recently CZ to Auschwitz to Krakow & back) I was impressed by the tailgating "skills" of the Poles....apparently it's sufficient if the bumpers don't tough...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2021 at 8:03 PM, Sea warrior said:

I get the feeling that you are one of those entitled mofos who think putting on your blinker gives you the right to change lanes and that everyone should slam on their brakes to accommodate your whimsical desires.

Not a comment on the above, rather a related observation.

In China cities and in the rural areas they have the strangest driving style.

The merging vehicle has the right of way.   So no matter what the speed, situation or event, you can go.   People do not get mad or rage.  Tonnage doesn't factor into the mindset (often tragically).

Truly a disturbing style from a western perspective...  but they do use their turn signals.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, d'ranger said:

BITD a company I owned had a large production area with a track around the inside somewhere about 300+ feet, polished concrete and several pallet jacks so......  it was limited to non working hours and we drew the line at using forklifts.  good times.  When peoples kids came in we also fired up the pallet wrapper as a merry go round.

We have to grow older but don't have to grow up.

Did a summer gig in maintenance at a large office complex. We used to ride the floor buffing machine for kicks.

I don't know how we didn't get seriously injured.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

Would all of you angry, frustrated road warriors take it to Blinker Anarchy!

Thanks in advance!

 

WL

But just before you go, I'm a rep for KaleCoAuto.  Are your blinkers sluggish or too noisy?  Our synthetic blinker fluid can extend the life of your blinkers to 1,500,000 blinks, well beyond the factory standard 150,000. 

Offer is not valid if you live in California and are therefore unaware of their existence or function.  Or perhaps you find that it's too much effort or too demeaning to wiggle that little stalk on the steering column.

Just $8.99 plus shipping.

akalecoauto-com_images_blinkfluid-jpg.121829

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Remodel said:

Did a summer gig in maintenance at a large office complex. We used to ride the floor buffing machine for kicks.

I don't know how we didn't get seriously injured.

 

Yeah, drew the line at that one also.  After a part time kid (pre-law) got hurt using a printer stand instead of a ladder I laid down the law on safety - with this: If something stupid has to be done I will do it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I retired almost 10 years ago about once a month I get up early, grab a cup of coffee and head out during the morning commute. Then I drive in the left/fast lane about 20 mph under the speed limit. I usually like to put my right blinker on and just leave it on but not change lanes. On the way back home i take surface streets and I like to sit in the left turn pocket with my right blinker on and wait a long time before turning. It’s really best when you can time it so I make the turn just as the light changes to red. Stopping at a red light 2 or 3 car lengths behind the car in front of me is also fun……and much safer than being right up on the bumper of the car in front of me. People seem to really appreciate my driving because everybody waves and shouts a greeting as they pass me. I can’t hear what they say because I have my music turned up but it’s nice everyone is so friendly. 
 

Being retired is awesome.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

The Rodney King Intermurals were (mein Gott!) almost 30 years ago. I had just bought a house in a little city just north of Long Beach. Not fun, with solid walls of smoke on three sides and youths wilding a half a city block away. Didn't see a cop for three days.    

I had worked a bit in Little Korea, wiring several of their shops. The Koreans had a vibrant, cohesive, loud community, fun to work with. Many had just emigrated from Korea after serving in the military. I could easily see them instantly bonding together to defend their livelihoods. I even think I recognized one of the Roof Koreans from a photo.

In current Los Angeles, I'll bet they'd be in jail, arrested for daring to defend their property and lives.     

I had to drive through the "wilding" of south central that night to get home, Culver City to San Pedro.  The coast roads were stopped for hours so I took the chance.  Brother in law lived in way north long beach, moved in with us.   National Guard was on every street corner when we went a week later to empty his apartment and garage.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm painting my balls with the brush of indifference! OMFG that's brilliance!

r/WhitePeopleTwitter - Isn't language a lovely thing

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, after delays  for surgeries, then Covid, I sold my house in NH and moved to Denver 2 weeks ago. Got a small apartment in Littleton until we decide where to buy. The fire threat will definitely influence my decision. But as stated the fierce winds are indefensible. It was howlin' and once the flames ignite the tall dry prairie grass it's all over.

Made some general inquiries to offer volunteer support to no avail so far. I'm not a trained first responder so that's probably their immediate concern. We'll see.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, redboat said:

Finally, after delays  for surgeries, then Covid, I sold my house in NH and moved to Denver 2 weeks ago. Got a small apartment in Littleton until we decide where to buy. The fire threat will definitely influence my decision. But as stated the fierce winds are indefensible. It was howlin' and once the flames ignite the tall dry prairie grass it's all over.

Made some general inquiries to offer volunteer support to no avail so far. I'm not a trained first responder so that's probably their immediate concern. We'll see.

 

Just curious, why did you leave NH for Denver???

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bmiller said:

My old employee number was 333, I drew it with a little devil tail on the first 3, half the devil. That was, and still is, on all my personal equipment.

When I gradguated High Skool they started the DRAFT LOTTO

my # was 333

a friend was # 3

By 1970 Nam wasn't a popular destination

Link to post
Share on other sites