Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, No Bargers said:

dems.jpg.2fd79e967423c6417b1188c5e546556f.jpg

I know take it to PA.

Better yet, replace it with something witty and/or amusing.

In PA

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, d'ranger said:
9 hours ago, No Bargers said:

 

I know take it to PA.

I have come to the conclusion these get posted here because snowflakes melt in PA.

 

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Better yet, replace it with something witty and/or amusing.

In PA

Speaking of snowflakes...

Give A Fuck About Your Feelings: REMEMBER 2 THINGS  IN OUR GROUP:  THEY'RE ONLY JOKES  2. WE DON'T GIVE A  FUCK ABOUT YOUR  FEELINGS Big Rig

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 00seven said:

 

Speaking of snowflakes...

Give A Fuck About Your Feelings: REMEMBER 2 THINGS  IN OUR GROUP:  THEY'RE ONLY JOKES  2. WE DON'T GIVE A  FUCK ABOUT YOUR  FEELINGS Big Rig

Exactly.  A bunch of selfish fucks that don't don't give a shit about other people, only themselves.

And we wonder why we got to the point we are at today.

Believe it or not, it isn't being weak to be nice to others.  It's called living in a society with 7.9 billon other people that also have needs.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Believe it or not, it isn't being weak to be nice to others.  It's called living in a society with 7.9 billon other people that also have needs.

FTFY

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I woke up this morning with a song in my heart and a smile on my face.

I went to the bank to retrieve my US ATM card that the machine swallowed last Friday.  The bank said to come and get it today.

Got to the bank and they said sorry, the contract company that owns our ATMs destroyed your card as per their policy.  My bank card is my lifeline to access my money in my US bank.  So now I need to call my bank in Texas and order a new card which will get here in 3 weeks if I'm lucky.  Thank goodness my wife offered me money to tide me over, to avoid the high cost of an international wire transfer to send some dollars here.

Got home in a less than good mood and saw that our new 6 month old kitten knocked a glass off of the kitchen counter because cat!  The kitchen floor is porcelain tile and the glass exploded into approximately 3.7 million shards of tiny, sharp shrapnel.  The debris flew as far as 15 feet away.  Not good with 2 dogs and 2 cats in the house.  I didn't see any blood on the floor anyway. So I spent 25 minutes cleaning up that mess.

I was contemplating going upstairs and hiding in bed with my head under the covers and not coming out until tomorrow morning, given how my day was going, and it was only 11 a.m.

Then I stumbled on this little guy, and it just brightened my day.

Perhaps somebody else here needs a little sunshine today as well.

 

Tacos.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

May be an image of animal and text that says 'What do we learn from hippopotamuses? That it's impossible to reduce weight by eating green grass and salads and walking.'

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2022 at 6:24 PM, foamy1946 said:

My worst hangovers were from cheap red wine..Red Mountain, $1.49 a gallon, would last all weekend.  This was in the 60s.  Also called the "Red Death".  Can't drink red wine to this day.

 

Trader Joe used to have "2 buck Chuck", red or white wine.  Not bad when you are on a budget....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

 

Trader Joe used to have "2 buck Chuck", red or white wine.  Not bad when you are on a budget....

I think is 3 or 4 buck Chuck now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

CARiSIDE.png

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Exactly.  A bunch of selfish fucks that don't don't give a shit about other people, only themselves.

And we wonder why we got to the point we are at today.

Believe it or not, it isn't being weak to be nice to others.  It's called living in a society with 7.9 billon other people that also have needs.

Oh fuck off.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Trader Joe used to have "2 buck Chuck", red or white wine.  Not bad when you are on a budget....

If you're so broke you are restricted to plonk like that, it's best to make sangria with it.

Or mulled wine if it's cold out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

If you're so broke you are restricted to plonk like that, it's best to make sangria with it.

Or mulled wine if it's cold out.

TJ's did it for you, they have sangria in a "brick".

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

And it's still disgusting!   :lol:

I take great pride in actually being able to enjoy that swill.  The first beer I ever had with my dad, was a white can with big black letters proclaiming it was "BEER" :-).  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bridhb said:

I take great pride in actually being able to enjoy that swill.  The first beer I ever had with my dad, was a white can with big black letters proclaiming it was "BEER" :-).  

The nice thing about having low expectations, is that they are rarely exceeded!  :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Voiled said:

Without wanting to quote balsabrains. It's amusing and, in the context of this meme, ironic how rightwing meme makers seem to think an electric car depletes batteries in neutral.

Wait!

Are you trying to tell me that an EV doesn't burn up electrons while idling????

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Voiled said:

Without wanting to quote balsabrains. It's amusing and, in the context of this meme, ironic how rightwing meme makers seem to think an electric car depletes batteries in neutral.

Because they believe liberals are revolting?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voiled said:

It's amusing and, in the context of this meme, ironic how rightwing meme makers seem to think an electric car depletes batteries in neutral.

Actually, it does.  All those computers, and of course a radio was mentioned.  But what ruined it for me was the part where he "revved it to a slow idle".  Perhaps the car was on jacks, or on a home-dynamometer?  Yeah, probably that.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, valis said:

Actually, it does.  All those computers, and of course a radio was mentioned.  But what ruined it for me was the part where he "revved it to a slow idle".  Perhaps the car was on jacks, or on a home-dynamometer?  Yeah, probably that.

Probably!  Those Harbor Freight home dynos are quite inexpensive nowadays!   

In case it wasn't obvious, I was being facetious in my post.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ed Lada said:

Probably!  Those Harbor Freight home dynos are quite inexpensive nowadays!   

In case it wasn't obvious, I was being facetious in my post.  

Don't worry, It was obvious.  BTW, I edited my post to quote Voiled instead of you, just to make the chain of ownership slightly more clear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, valis said:

Don't worry, It was obvious.  BTW, I edited my post to quote Voiled instead of you, just to make the chain of ownership slightly more clear.

It all good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If you're so broke you are restricted to plonk like that, it's best to make sangria with it.

Or mulled wine if it's cold out.

 

It's not a question of being broke!  It's a question of frugal or cheap!  Missus BB is frugal, I am cheap! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, valis said:

Back in the day 2-Buck Chuck was actually somewhat drinkable. I've paid more for worse.  Don't know about now.

when you want to cut costs for your date but still get her drunk...  plus there are enough suburbanites that think that's the good stuff... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
28 minutes ago, valis said:

Back in the day 2-Buck Chuck was actually somewhat drinkable. I've paid more for worse.  Don't know about now.

when you want to cut costs for your date but still get her drunk...  plus there are enough suburbanites that think that's the good stuff... 

Ist notte?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

when you want to cut costs for your date but still get her drunk...  plus there are enough suburbanites that think that's the good stuff... 

Put it in an old, good bottle - 99% of people will be impressed.

People have successfully perpetrated frauds doing that with the bottles from very expensive wines.

Wine snobs, like art snobs can be quite easily conned if you know what you're doing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, valis said:

Back in the day 2-Buck Chuck was actually somewhat drinkable. I've paid more for worse.  Don't know about now.

It hasn't killed me...yet.  I am not drinking anything better than box wine just in case I ever go cruising on my small boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Put it in an old, good bottle - 99% of people will be impressed.

People have successfully perpetrated frauds doing that with the bottles from very expensive wines.

Wine snobs, like art snobs can be quite easily conned if you know what you're doing.

Snobs sure.  Experts, not so much.

Rudy Kurniawan made millions counterfeiting expensive wines until he pissed off billionaire Bill Koch (the 'good' Koch brother).

Most, but not all of Kurnaiwan's victims were newly wealthy people with more money than brains that loved to show off, and knew nothing about wines of that alleged quality.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Voiled said:

Without wanting to quote balsabrains. It's amusing and, in the context of this meme, ironic how rightwing meme makers seem to think an electric car depletes batteries in neutral.

Its par for the course for the vastness of things they don't understand.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Snobs sure.  Experts, not so much.

Rudy Kurniawan made millions counterfeiting expensive wines until he pissed off billionaire Bill Koch (the 'good' Koch brother).

Most, but not all of Kurnaiwan's victims were newly wealthy people with more money than brains that loved to show off, and knew nothing about wines of that alleged quality.

 

"What do you think of the pomegranate notes in the finish"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some cheap wines really benefit from being decanted an hour before drinking.  The aeration can do them a lot of good.  I used to decant the 2BC Cabernet, and it surprised several "wine snobs" who came to dinner when I told them what it was.

Of course the violent margaritas I gave them first would have buggered up their palate.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Serve the 1st round a wine they are used to (assuming we are talking cabs here) 2nd round switch and very very few can/will tell the difference. I have seen it done - at a big wedding reception/dinner.  FWIW Aldi sells a $3 cab that is very drinkable, helps with the advice just above this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Some cheap wines really benefit from being decanted an hour two weeks before drinking.  The aeration can do them a lot of good.  I used to decant the 2BC Cabernet, and it surprised several "wine snobs" who came to dinner when I told them what it was.

Of course the violent margaritas I gave them first would have buggered up their palate.

ftfy

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, d'ranger said:

Serve the 1st round a wine they are used to (assuming we are talking cabs here) 2nd round switch and very very few can/will tell the difference. I have seen it done - at a big wedding reception/dinner.  FWIW Aldi sells a $3 cab that is very drinkable, helps with the advice just above this one.

always serve the bad wine first...    the step down from good wine to cheap wine is dramatic

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

always serve the bad wine first...    the step down from good wine to cheap wine is dramatic

Robert Mondavi gave the exact opposite advice:  Always serve the best wine first.  When people are paying attention. 

The alcohol dulls the palate and the subsequent bottles get poured down throats with good food and good conversation and nobody cares about the plonk.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Left Shift said:
3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

always serve the bad wine first...    the step down from good wine to cheap wine is dramatic

Robert Mondavi gave the exact opposite advice:  Always serve the best wine first.  When people are paying attention. 

The alcohol dulls the palate and the subsequent bottles get poured down throats with good food and good conversation and nobody cares about the plonk.

That's been my experience. After two drinks, your tongue is really kind of numb. After liquor, your taste for wine is almost dead.

Not with beer though, shitty beer tastes awful no matter how much you've had to drink.

- DSK

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2022 at 4:43 PM, d'ranger said:

I have come to the conclusion these get posted here because snowflakes melt in PA.

Quoted because coming from a pussy like you, that’s fucking hilarious.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

That's been my experience. After two drinks, your tongue is really kind of numb. After liquor, your taste for wine is almost dead.

Not with beer though, shitty beer tastes awful no matter how much you've had to drink.

- DSK

 

I gave up beer years ago, when it kept giving me gout in my left great toe.  Switched to spirits, but then my toe became swollen with arthritis, where the gout used to recur.  Only time I drink beer now is when running a mark boat for Frostbite races, spring and fall....

My advice is, don't drink beer, go straight to Vodka or Rum, YMMV.... :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Robert Mondavi gave the exact opposite advice:  Always serve the best wine first.  When people are paying attention. 

The alcohol dulls the palate and the subsequent bottles get poured down throats with good food and good conversation and nobody cares about the plonk.

well what Mondavi might call an average wine was probably a hundred times better the average...   to me,  if you drink the good wine first, you find the depth, flavors, complexities.. and then when the crap hits your mouth, all you notice is what it lacks... 

when you visit a winery for tasting..  they will start you with usually a white if they have one... then the next one will be their base red and they will work you up to their best red...

 

long ago , while in SF, my wife was at an all day meeting in Oakland,  I booked a wine tour for the day and boogied up on the ferry to Valejo ...  I booked with a small outfit and it turned out to be me, the driver and two guys from KC..   well the KC guys were all about the whites.. so when at each winery, they'd get to that last red and barely taste it and toss it into the bucket...     I was like , you fucking assholes, that's $75+ a bottle, give that shit to me if you're not going to drink it...  still pisses me off..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
6 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Some cheap wines really benefit from being decanted an hour two weeks before drinking.  The aeration can do them a lot of good.

ftfy

That really can work. I remember finding an open bottle behind the couch in one of the places I shared as a youth.

It was undrinkable at the party the previous week but had become quite not bad after breathing for a few days. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

"What do you think of the pomegranate notes in the finish"?

Who tf eats pomegranates anyway to know what they taste like?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Who tf eats pomegranates anyway to know what they taste like?

I honest to God read a wine review where the reviewer commented on the "hints of compost" in a wine.

And it was intended as praise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

"What do you think of the pomegranate notes in the finish"?

I thought it was more reminiscent of dark forest fruits myself.  And perhaps a touch of Morello cherries as opposed to Bing cherries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I honest to God read a wine review where the reviewer commented on the "hints of compost" in a wine.

And it was intended as praise.

Pinot?

From "compost", you move on to "barnyard". From "barnyard", you move on to "funky".

 

Fucking peasants...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I honest to God read a wine review where the reviewer commented on the "hints of compost" in a wine.

And it was intended as praise.

Probably the most expensive wines in the world are the best of the Burgundies made only with the Pinot Noir grape.  A bottle of the best La Tache can sell for several 10s of thousands of dollars.  In comparison, the best Bordeaux wines, a blend of some combination of the 5 acceptable grape varietals, usually top out around $10,000 a bottle.

A flavor commonly found in a good Burgundy is often described as 'forest floor'. Another common characteristic of Burgundy is a hint of 'barnyard'.  

While it may sound ludicrous to some, excellent, well aged wines are have incredibly complex flavors.  After a 50 or 60 year old bottle is opened, and is exposed to large amounts of oxygen after all of that time in the bottle, the flavors will change as the wine is expose to the air.

Depending on the wine, and the age, usually some time in a decanter is beneficial, however a 70 or 80 year old wine usually needs to be drank shortly after opening it or the wine will rapidly fade with exposure to the air. 

The best Bordeaux wines are very structured and powerful.  Many are not even worth drinking until they are at least 30 years old.  It takes that much time for the acid, the tannins and other components of the grapes to all knit together and smooth out.   

As a good wine ages, it develops secondary and tertiary flavors.  I am pretty sure that even somebody with little experience with old wines would immediately identify flavors of tobacco and leather that are very common in many old wines.  It all isn't bull shit.

Wine is a living thing and it changes in the bottle until it will finally die.  Depending on the grapes, the skill of the winemaker and the storage, wines can last a couple of years or up to a century is some cases, and still be drinkable.  The oldest wine I've ever drunk was a 91 year old 1928 Cheval Blanc.  I have had the good fortune to drink a lot of Cheval blanc of different vintages.  The 1928 had lost a lot of its color but it still tasted like Cheval Blanc in spite of looking like a rosé wine and not a Bordeaux.

While I will not deny that there are a lot of pretentious wine snobs out there, drinking good wine is a very pleasurable experience.  The more wine you taste, the more you learn to appreciate the subtlety and nuances of a well made wine.  To a point, very expensive wine is very expensive for a good reason.

one of the joys of drinking good wine is sharing the experience with others.  While some of the flavor descriptors might sound silly, there is a benefit to developing a common flavor vocabulary with your drinking companions.  This adds to the pleasure of the experience as you compare notes with each other.

I've had the good luck to have a good friend with a great wine cellar stocked with some very fine wine.  We have spent many memorable evenings with people that really know good wine and enjoyed good food at our friend's restaurant, with fine wine and great company and conversations. 

It isn't unlike any other pastime.  A 4 kt shitbox will get you out on the water, and you can have a great time sailing.  Or you can spend $1.5 million or so and buy a Perry carbon cutter and elevate that experience to a whole different level.  It's the same with wine.  You drink what you can afford and it it gives you pleasure, well that's the whole point, isn't it?

Below, 1983, 1959, 1953, 2x 1947, 1928 Cheval Blanc

At today's ridiculous prices, you're looking at around $20,000. A good chunk of that is the 2 '47s, a legendary Bordeaux wine.  My friend bought them years ago when the prices were much more reasonable.

Cheval Blanc Vertical.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

^^^^^ Is this the same guy who pitched a fit when the place we had lunch didn't have Blatz?

:lol:

Well the Margaritas I settled for were drinkable!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'When you write "f*ck"i 'instead of "fuck", Jesus knows what you really mean. and He thinks you are a pussy'

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I honest to God read a wine review where the reviewer commented on the "hints of compost" in a wine.

And it was intended as praise.

I work in power electronics and there's a certain smell that happens when a transformer gets hot - not sure exactly what the chemical is, but older, overheated magnetics just smell a specific way. I was invited out for dinner by a key customer's CEO in Taiwan who claimed to be a wine expert and he proudly served a bottle of something - being a show-off he told us the price (over $1000). I took one sip and there it was; bouquet of burned transformers. Highly distinct and unmistakable. He appeared to enjoy it and was still bragging about it, so I had to sit there and tell him how wonderful it was, while drinking as little as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites