• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I gave up beer years ago, when it kept giving me gout in my left great toe.  Switched to spirits, but then my toe became swollen with arthritis, where the gout used to recur.  Only time I drink beer now is when running a mark boat for Frostbite races, spring and fall....

My advice is, don't drink beer, go straight to Vodka or Rum, YMMV.... :rolleyes:

you are doing it wrong.

The beer releases all the crap out of your endocrinol system into your blood system.  Think of it as a trigger.

The trick is to drink 4-5 large glasses of water first, THEN one beer.

When the system lets go, it is so diluted it pisses right out of the system.

And if you think beer is bad, stay away from red wine.  all those tannin's will have your toe screaming..

Also stay away from the nuts.  That will cause a flair up in a heartbeat too.

1 hour ago, Foreverslow said:

And if you think beer is bad, stay away from red wine.  all those tannin's will have your toe screaming..

Actually it has nothing to do with the tannins.  Most alcohol will increase the uric acid level in the blood.  However studies have shown that moderate wine consumption has little effect on serum uric acid level and gout attacks.  Beer and spirits are the alcoholic beverages for sufferers of gout to avoid. Drinking a lot of water to dilute the beer doesn't help do anything except make you pee even more.

The main offender with gout is purine, contained in protein rich foods, which should be avoided as much as possible.  

4 minutes ago, A3A said:

Should be suppositories...

I'll bet you would put the box in your rectum without even opening it.

7 hours ago, warbird said:

FI37HDqXIAA3d1a?format=jpg&name=small

I accidentally put something that was NOT toothpaste on my brush one morning, when I wasn't quite awake yet!  Don't recall what it was, but I knew immediately what it wasn't, and got rid of it, post haste!! :wacko::wacko:

2 hours ago, valis said:

Eucalyptus trees close to the vines?

If it was the case, then most Australian wine would smell of (specifically male) cat’s piss…… Some Californian wine too?

2 hours ago, valis said:

Eucalyptus trees close to the vines?

Well first of all just about all Sauvignon Blanc has a hint of cat pee in it no matter where it is produced, which is many of the worlds most famous wine growing regions.

Apparently it is sulphur compounds that are responsible for the distinctive odor.  Perhaps the soil in New Zealand has more sulphur compounds than other areas where the varietal is grown.  But not only do New Zealand pride themselves on their cat piss laden SB, but they also claim it has flavors of sweaty passion fruit and asparagus!  Not ordinary passion fruit which is a common characteristic of the famous French Sauternes dessert wines which are primarily Sauvignon Blanc and maybe some Semillon, but 'sweaty' passion fruit!  And one New Zealand winery even calls their Sauvignon Blanc 'Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush'.

That's why I stick primarily to good red wines!  

However I do appreciate a good Sauternes as long as the passion fruit isn't sweaty.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:14 PM, valis said:

Back in the day 2-Buck Chuck was actually somewhat drinkable. I've paid more for worse.  Don't know about now.

The legend of 2 Buck Chuck came from a series of articles in the mid 90s in the Wall Street Journal.

At the time, wine interest in the US had exploded and they were tracking the trend.

WSJ had picked up on a group of Northern Californians who enshrewed the pricey local grape juice for some basic wine.   They did some investigation and found Trader Joe was working with Franzia who used to buy all the left over grape juice from the same vintners in Napa valley as the expensive stuff and blend them together to get a low cost drinkable wine.  Those articles (and follow ups) started the craze nationally.

https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/the-mystery-of-charles-shaw-better-known-as-2-buck-chuck/

Folks used to goof on their wine snob neighbors by slipping a bottle of Charles Shaw into a cut crystal decanter prior to dinner.

I was at a Trader Joe's a couple weeks ago.  They had a sign that 2 buck chuck ((aka Charles Shaw) now costs 3.99, but it was still a good value.

I prefer the Audi Shiraz or Sangria (with a splash of OJ) when just having dinner.  For company, i always roll out Aussie Merlots and Shiraz.

3 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Well first of all just about all Sauvignon Blanc has a hint of cat pee in it no matter where it is produced, which is many of the worlds most famous wine growing regions.

Apparently it is sulphur compounds that are responsible for the distinctive odor.  Perhaps the soil in New Zealand has more sulphur compounds than other areas where the varietal is grown.  But not only do New Zealand pride themselves on their cat piss laden SB, but they also claim it has flavors of sweaty passion fruit and asparagus!  Not ordinary passion fruit which is a common characteristic of the famous French Sauternes dessert wines which are primarily Sauvignon Blanc and maybe some Semillon, but 'sweaty' passion fruit!  And one New Zealand winery even calls their Sauvignon Blanc 'Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush'.

That's why I stick primarily to good red wines!  

However I do appreciate a good Sauternes as long as the passion fruit isn't sweaty.

I dunno squat about wine, but Missus BB likes Pinot Grigio, and it is way cheaper to buy a bottle than pay by the glass, but most bartenders don't let on, that it's a law that they have to offer a whole bottle, and you can take any remaining in the bottle home with you, in the state of CT.....

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I dunno squat about wine, but Missus BB likes Pinot Grigio, and it is way cheaper to buy a bottle than pay by the glass, but most bartenders don't let on, that it's a law that they have to offer a whole bottle, and you can take any remaining in the bottle home with you, in the state of CT.....

Like many white wines, to me Pinot Grigio , or Pinot Gris if you are French, not Italian, is a crisp, usually dry, inoffensive whit wine.  They make a lot of it in Italy and if you buy it at a store, it's usually inexpensive.  Here in Europe you can find them for $3 or $4 a bottle.  I don't mind it with light food in the summer, and at that price there are far worse whites on the market.  If I have a choice between a cheap Chardonnay and a cheap Pinot Grigio, I will go with the Pinot Grigio because I don't have high expectations for it.  The cheap Chardonnay is a let down because a very good Chardonnay can be quite nice and one of the few white wines that can actually age for a time.  Genuine Champagne and many other sparkling wines are generally Chardonnay, although Pinot Noir is also used to make Champagne.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Like many white wines, to me Pinot Grigio , or Pinot Gris if you are French, not Italian, is a crisp, usually dry, inoffensive whit wine.  They make a lot of it in Italy and if you buy it at a store, it's usually inexpensive.  Here in Europe you can find them for $3 or $4 a bottle.  I don't mind it with light food in the summer, and at that price there are far worse whites on the market.  If I have a choice between a cheap Chardonnay and a cheap Pinot Grigio, I will go with the Pinot Grigio because I don't have high expectations for it.  The cheap Chardonnay is a let down because a very good Chardonnay can be quite nice and one of the few white wines that can actually age for a time.  Genuine Champagne and many other sparkling wines are generally Chardonnay, although Pinot Noir is also used to make Champagne.  

Our local package store often has bottles if various wines for 4 to 5 dollars a bottle.  And a 3 liter box only costs 50% more for the second 1.5 liters than just one.  $20 for 3 liter box, vs. $15 for 1.5.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Our local package store often has bottles if various wines for 4 to 5 dollars a bottle.  And a 3 liter box only costs 50% more for the second 1.5 liters than just one.  $20 for 3 liter box, vs. $15 for 1.5.

In another thread you talk about moving to Canada.  Prices in Canada for all alcohol, beer and wine are about double what you pay in the USA.   Don't forget to put that in your spreadsheet.  Compare your favourite tipple here:  https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo

Ok, please go back to posting memes.  

7 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Boxed wine gets a bad reputation, but if you want to keep your inexpensive wine fresh for some time, they are a good value.  And some of them are surprisingly good!  

Once a bottle of any wine is opened, the quality can deteriorate rapidly overnight.  A little oxygen is good for wine, a lot will kill a wine quickly.  There are ways to prevent that but they require various devices and not all are easy to use. And even then it won't come close to how long you can keep boxed wine.  Just buy a box and keep it in the fridge or countertop depending if it's white or red and you're good to go.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, hobot said:

I-can-relate-to-both-unfortunately.jpg

I think I was 15, when my Mom and I were having an argument in the kitchen.  I raised my hand and woke on the floor a few seconds later......

10 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

May be an image of 3 people and text that says 'I see the Miss Florida Pageant is back on again RIREEM'

Is this what "eat a bag of dicks" looks like?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Boxed wine gets a bad reputation, but if you want to keep your inexpensive wine fresh for some time, they are a good value.  And some of them are surprisingly good!  

Once a bottle of any wine is opened, the quality can deteriorate rapidly overnight.  A little oxygen is good for wine, a lot will kill a wine quickly.  There are ways to prevent that but they require various devices and not all are easy to use. And even then it won't come close to how long you can keep boxed wine.  Just buy a box and keep it in the fridge or countertop depending if it's white or red and you're good to go.

All true. Wife and I tend to like Spanish reds for price/performance benefit. Good Calif reds are great too, but $80+ a bottle. 

But in one out-of-the-way, hard to get to storage locker in the boat there is 3L of boxed wine. It's the "Emergency Wine" to be consumed in the unlikely event of the "good stuff" being already gone (or corked. Had 2 out of 12 of the last case that were corked). 

I wouldn't say it was good. But it's there for emergencies. 

7 hours ago, gptyk said:

All true. Wife and I tend to like Spanish reds for price/performance benefit. Good Calif reds are great too, but $80+ a bottle. 

But in one out-of-the-way, hard to get to storage locker in the boat there is 3L of boxed wine. It's the "Emergency Wine" to be consumed in the unlikely event of the "good stuff" being already gone (or corked. Had 2 out of 12 of the last case that were corked). 

I wouldn't say it was good. But it's there for emergencies. 

I've said for a long time that Rioja wines from Spain are the best value on the wine market.  Many Riojas her are in the $5 price range.  I can get a nice Gran Riserva for around $10.00 and it drinks well above it's price.  For around $35-$40 I can get a really outstanding Rioja that tastes like a much more expensive wine.  

My friend and I have opened a lot of bottles over the years and we have been lucky, very few were corked.  I do hate that smell and I can't tolerate even a hint of TCA in a wine. 

We went to a tasting dinner in Switzerland some years ago.  The theme was large format bottles of first growth Bordeaux.  Yeah, I know living large! 

There was a 3 liter bottle of Lafite Rothschild, one of my most favorite wines.  It was corked!  They tried desperately to save it, they even put plastic wrap in the decanter for a while, which helped a little but ultimately the wine was undrinkable.  3 liters of Lafite down the drain.  The horror, the horror!

Unfortunately if you have a case of wine and one bottle is corked, others might be too because sometimes a cellar can be infested with TCA and it's very difficult o get rid off.  Or an entire batch of corks used to bottle the wine can be tainted with TCA.

Sometimes though I'm not sure people really know what a corked wine smells like.  I have heard so many people claiming a bottle was corked, when it was some other defect.  People tend to blame any bad odor in a wine on being 'corked'.  Old wines particularly often have all manner of bad odors.  A lot of the odors disappear after a little time in the decanter. I think the amount of bottles my friend and I have found corked is under 1% of the hundreds of bottles we've opened over the years.

Now that I've written about I've got that smell in my nose.  Ewww.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, billy backstay said:

The rock would say "ACME" on it!! :D

I just had a brilliant thought.

Amazon should change it's name to Acme!

I'm gonna send an email to Jeff Bezos right now!  Maybe he will reward me handsomely for my genius. :lol:

• Like 1
Just now, Ed Lada said:

I just had a brilliant thought.

Amazon should change it's name to Acme!

I'm gonna send an email to Jeff Bezos right now!  Maybe he will reward me handsomely for my genius. :lol:

Brilliant indeed!  Don't you think the patent for that name might not be available?   Bezos will probably just buy it..

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

Brilliant indeed!  Don't you think the patent for that name might not be available?   Bezos will probably just buy it..

I think it would be a trademark, but as you said, Bezos could  probably buy it with pocket change.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:52 PM, bridhb said:

I take great pride in actually being able to enjoy that swill.  The first beer I ever had with my dad, was a white can with big black letters proclaiming it was "BEER" :-).  

Like this one? (me in 1984)

468336948_IMG_20150617_204800_1-copia.thumb.jpg.31c8d5de184941c5bb56eaadc162003c.jpg

• Like 5
20 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

prolly 4x4, l ,,busted gearset

, fixerated by pulling gearset & leaving in 4wd  

;) ( an advanced, Ph.D level of shitboxery )

I did that once briefly in college with a 4x4 S-10. I was replacing the u-joints in the drive shaft and needed to make a parts run. Not a long drive, but didn't have another car. It worked. 

20 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

never seen a pick up truck with front wheel drive before...

pretty sure the new ford mavericks are front wheel drive unless you get the AWD option. 

18 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

pretty sure the new ford mavericks are front wheel drive unless you get the AWD option. 

this is true. VW had one based on the Rabbit back in the 80's. I think some of the "ute's" down under might be FWD too. 

11 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

ajg80qR_460swp.webp

That would be me doing 45 mph down the road laughing as it left a trail of snow flakes swirling behind in the mirror. Way to much snow to just leave in the driveway at home…

16 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

5 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I've said for a long time that Rioja wines from Spain are the best value on the wine market.  Many Riojas her are in the $5 price range.  I can get a nice Gran Riserva for around $10.00 and it drinks well above it's price.  For around $35-$40 I can get a really outstanding Rioja that tastes like a much more expensive wine.  

My friend and I have opened a lot of bottles over the years and we have been lucky, very few were corked.  I do hate that smell and I can't tolerate even a hint of TCA in a wine. 

We went to a tasting dinner in Switzerland some years ago.  The theme was large format bottles of first growth Bordeaux.  Yeah, I know living large! 

There was a 3 liter bottle of Lafite Rothschild, one of my most favorite wines.  It was corked!  They tried desperately to save it, they even put plastic wrap in the decanter for a while, which helped a little but ultimately the wine was undrinkable.  3 liters of Lafite down the drain.  The horror, the horror!

I've already consumed 1,300 liters of this since 2019 (not by myself alone, but most at my in-laws's house and one neighbor)

https://www.vinosribera.com/epages/ec5114.sf/es_ES/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ec5114/Products/V018XA09

Wine in Spain is an everyday drink in most homes, it's always been, it's part of our culture. This is what most people would call a "vino de mesa" (table wine) the one you have to drink everyday at lunch and dinner.

The "bag-in-box" is the most significant advance in technology in the past century for me. more than television. No light, no air, and best of all, your wife can't even guess how much you've drunk.

V018XA09_X.jpg

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

this has always confused me,   "whiskey and rye"   

Because it wouldn't rhyme otherwise!

Artistic license I guess.

That line always drives me crazy too.

9 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

I've already consumed 1,300 liters of this since 2019 (not by myself alone, but most at my in-laws's house and one neighbor)

https://www.vinosribera.com/epages/ec5114.sf/es_ES/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ec5114/Products/V018XA09

Wine in Spain is an everyday drink in most homes, it's always been, it's part of our culture. This is what most people would call a "vino de mesa" (table wine) the one you have to drink everyday at lunch and dinner.

The "bag-in-box" is the most significant advance in technology in the past century for me. more than television. No light, no air, and best of all, your wife can't even guess how much you've drunk.

V018XA09_X.jpg

The bag in the box has revolutionized wine consumption is less "homey" locales. For example on multi day river trips a bag of chardonnay in the cooler keeps my wife and her buddies content. They get a little rowdy and "slap the bag". That's where the bag comes out of the cooler and the ladies hold it in the air and give the bag a wicked slap before holding it aloft and dispensing said wine directly into their face. It can get quite rowdy, especially near the end of the trip when there is little danger to boat and crew.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, bmiller said:

The bag in the box has revolutionized wine consumption is less "homey" locales. For example on multi day river trips a bag of chardonnay in the cooler keeps my wife and her buddies content. They get a little rowdy and "slap the bag". That's where the bag comes out of the cooler and the ladies hold it in the air and give the bag a wicked slap before holding it aloft and dispensing said wine directly into their face. It can get quite rowdy, especially near the end of the trip when there is little danger to boat and crew.

I just hope the drunken ladies don't start to slap some other 'bags' as the revelry continues!  It might not put the boat in danger, but the male crew members?  :blink:

37 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Wife, 2 kids, and Labrador retriever were going backpacking in the high sierras. Not real far, kids were 10-12ish, so something like 10miles or so. Wife got the lab a backpack so he could carry.... a 3L bag of wine. Without the box it's quite easy to transport. Good dog.

And yes, as Ed mentioned above - best bang for buck on the planet often says "Rioja" on the bottle. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Can anyone post a pic of an intelligent looking anti-vaxxer?

Anyone?

Bueller?

there is no such person....

6 hours ago, DarthSailor said:

this is true. VW had one based on the Rabbit back in the 80's. I think some of the "ute's" down under might be FWD too. 

I can't think of a single ute that is front wheel drive. You couldn't do burnouts in a front wheel drive. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

Oh crap...

52years.jpg

I've noticed that getting older gives one a very different view of the passage of time.

Remember when you were a kid and a century and a millennium weren't all that different?

Both were just a"fucking long time".

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

I've noticed that getting older gives one a very different view of the passage of time.

Remember when you were a kid and a century and a millennium weren't all that different?

Both were just a"fucking long time".

And neither were as long as the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

ford maverick pick up truck?   that's got to suck balls..

Kinda like calling a Honda Ridgeline a pick up.    The maverick also come with a hybrid driveline.  And can be had for well under 30k.

I’ve been eyeballing it, as a potential for a new vehicle....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Kinda like calling a Honda Ridgeline a pick up.    The maverick also come with a hybrid driveline.  And can be had for well under 30k.

I’ve been eyeballing it, as a potential for a new vehicle....

All the pool guys and landscapers are going to want one. They all currently drive aging Toyota trucks from back when they really were small. 

Excellent mileage potential in the hybrid maverick. I'd like one too, but I don't know when I could realistically get one. 

'Mericans that drive ungodly massive penis compensation trucks to McD's are a strange breed. Sure, some folks tow a boat or trailer, some folks haul crap. But I'd wager 90% or so of the aircraft carrier sized pickup trucks do stuff that a sedan would do just as well. (Same folks are quick to bitch about $5/gal gas too...) I also don't understand why the guy loading lumber into his truck would want a bigger/taller truck. Just more lifting. Can't reach over the sidewalls into the bed anymore. 

I get to go to the land o the giant trucks and no H20 next week(AZ) for the winter.  Looking forward to seeing the aircraft carrier sized trucks my wife is talking about. 

Just bought our Jeep WK off lease...  One of the few good things to come out of the covid shit.  Dealers etc were looking for about 43-45k a couple months ago for a 2018 w 20k.  Picked that sucker up for 25...  So now onto the mods...  Anyone recommend a good chip??  Have the K&N filter on order+ new tires are in the mix once we get down there.  Plus, I get about 10ish more HP when I get to sea level so there is that...  

19 minutes ago, gptyk said:

'Mericans that drive ungodly massive penis compensation trucks to McD's are a strange breed. 

My fav is the soccer mom in the jacked up pickup...

1 hour ago, Liquid said:
1 hour ago, gptyk said:

'Mericans that drive ungodly massive penis compensation trucks to McD's are a strange breed. 

At the mall.

Or supermarket.

Lots of those absurd things around here - rarely see one dirty. And never  with brush scratches on the sides or cargo scratches in the bed.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Liquid said:
3 hours ago, gptyk said:

I’m always amused by the big ole truck all decked out for off road with brush bars (chrome of course), giant tires, halogen light bar, big heavy rope wrapped around a roll bar, a shovel and fire extinguisher mounted on the roll bar, and a winch….that doesn’t have a scratch on it…….and never will. 

In surfing we called them “posers”……..you know the guy with the board spending the day waxing it on the beach and talking but never goes in the water. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I’m always amused by the big ole truck all decked out for off road with brush bars (chrome of course), giant tires, halogen light bar, big heavy rope wrapped around a roll bar, a shovel and fire extinguisher mounted on the roll bar, and a winch….that doesn’t have a scratch on it…….and never will. 

In surfing we called them “posers”……..you know the guy with the board spending the day waxing it on the beach and talking but never goes in the water. 

top boss at work   had one of these    f250 super duty dbl cab long bed 4x4

he could probably stand under the side mirror...   he needed the side rails to get into the truck..    I doubt that thing ever saw a dirt road

7124b33267_640.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Point Break said:

And in sailing, we call them SA forum posters.