• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

ford  ranger..  but $36K on up in the  Dc area     thinking about the mav,  might as well spend the coin on a fully enclosed SUV.  4' bed really isn't that beneficial.  at least with a similar sized SUV  you can haul something long inside

with no "pass through" option on the maverick, hauling a whisker pole will be a challenge.

Yeah, I've been watching and priced up all the new truck options and all the "small" trucks keep getting bigger and costing more, so this trend for smaller and cheaper has merit. I have kept my old S-10 for the hauling stuff to and from the boat, home depot, dump, etc. utility. It's just getting long in the tooth and almost always needs something done to it. Plus as the 3rd vehicle and won't seat the whole family, it gets used less. 

8 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

Yeah, I've been watching and priced up all the new truck options and all the "small" trucks keep getting bigger and costing more, so this trend for smaller and cheaper has merit. I have kept my old S-10 for the hauling stuff to and from the boat, home depot, dump, etc. utility. It's just getting long in the tooth and almost always needs something done to it. Plus as the 3rd vehicle and won't seat the whole family, it gets used less. 

what not interested in the  hyundai santa cruz

2022-Hyundai-Santa-Cruz-side-3_4.jpg

6 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

what not interested in the  hyundai santa cruz

I'd probably be more interested if Subaru did a version...  although, in that size I think it's too much of a compromise and the bed is more novelty than functional. 

1 hour ago, Slick470 said:

I'd probably be more interested if Subaru did a version...  although, in that size I think it's too much of a compromise and the bed is more novelty than functional. 

A "pickup" that can't carry a sheet of plywood?

38 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

A "pickup" that can't carry a sheet of plywood?

The Maverick is built to haul 4'x8' sheet goods.

As far as the whisker pole use a roof rack.

40ish mpg for the hybrid sounds good.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:10 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well what Mondavi might call an average wine was probably a hundred times better the average...   to me,  if you drink the good wine first, you find the depth, flavors, complexities.. and then when the crap hits your mouth, all you notice is what it lacks... 

when you visit a winery for tasting..  they will start you with usually a white if they have one... then the next one will be their base red and they will work you up to their best red...

long ago , while in SF, my wife was at an all day meeting in Oakland,  I booked a wine tour for the day and boogied up on the ferry to Valejo ...  I booked with a small outfit and it turned out to be me, the driver and two guys from KC..   well the KC guys were all about the whites.. so when at each winery, they'd get to that last red and barely taste it and toss it into the bucket...     I was like , you fucking assholes, that's $75+ a bottle, give that shit to me if you're not going to drink it...  still pisses me off..

What he served at his parties and banquets was decent stuff, but not over the top.  Except for the first bottles.  

Wine tasting is an entirely different process than drinking wine with a meal.  The whites are first so their more subtle flavors are not overwhelmed by the reds.  They work you up to their deepest red, not necessarily their best.  Choosing that is up to you.  And those bread sticks are there to refresh and reset the palate between each sniff, taste, slosh and spit.  

You are there to taste and not to drink, and it is perfectly all right to not actually like a wine in spite of the price tag.  If you want to drink "that shit", buy the bottle.  

Now I have stopped a few times at a little Mendocino winery, Parducci, who had the habit (which I believe they've discontinued) of pouring a full glass of each wine for you to taste, drink and chat over.  With 15 or so wines on their list, it was clearly impossible to get to the bottom.  As I was really interested in their really tasty and stout Barbera, which was at the bottom of their list, I asked to jump ahead.  They were a little insulted that I didn't want 15 glasses of wine before I got back on the freeway.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

roof is petty short.  hang it off the side between the mirror and the  A pillar.  sticking out like a lance.

17 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:
1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

roof is petty short.  hang it off the side between the mirror and the  A pillar.  sticking out like a lance.

Nah, put it in the bed with the tailgate down. Weight it down with a couple bags of cement or wet sand.

Don't forget the red flag on the end.

I'm sure there will be cargo rack options for attaching to the bed sides that would extend the distance  Possibly a "T" that attaches to a hitch.

Saw a Maverick in a parking lot today.  Yes, smaller than most new trucks but looked larger than the Dodge Dakota was.

5 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Will a 1980s BRAT suffice?

280px-Subaru_1800_MV_4WD_1992_(14407287694).jpg

• Like 1
On 1/13/2022 at 5:54 PM, shaggy said:

I get to go to the land o the giant trucks and no H20 next week(AZ) for the winter.  Looking forward to seeing the aircraft carrier sized trucks my wife is talking about. 

Just bought our Jeep WK off lease...  One of the few good things to come out of the covid shit.  Dealers etc were looking for about 43-45k a couple months ago for a 2018 w 20k.  Picked that sucker up for 25...  So now onto the mods...  Anyone recommend a good chip??  Have the K&N filter on order+ new tires are in the mix once we get down there.  Plus, I get about 10ish more HP when I get to sea level so there is that...  

the oil from K&N type filters can Fuck-Up FI and Emissions bits

(MAF, O2 sensor etc)

do your own search, the following is just 1 result

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/1681485-k-n-airraid-filters-causing-maf-problems.html

• Like 1
On 1/13/2022 at 9:02 PM, Liquid said:

My fav is the soccer mom in the jacked up pickup...

My favorite was a nerdy prof I had in Ann Arbor.  He had just moved from the city to a small farm.  His kids got into horses so he needed a truck.  Bought a beautiful like new F250 with 80K miles.  It looked great and he was very proud.  He goes to fill it up one day and this kid runs over screaming this is my truck.  My buddy mentions what great shape it's in, the kid says, yeah, they did a great job after the accident.  My buddy says, at least they didn't tow with it, WHAT says the kid, that's all I did, usually about 10K # load...you knew it was too much when the trans started to smoke.  The kid rolled up the bed liner and showed him the 5th wheel bolt holes.

A good friend of mine used to say, "the thrill of a capital possession is short lived at best."

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Fuck your truck fetishes. Wankers. I can store 10 sheets of plywood in my sienna for weeks rain or shine and I didn’t have to buy a shell to turn my truck into a van.

bring on the memes!

you still drive a mini-van... just sayin'  

my Dad's Truck that he bought NEW in 1991

Passed down to me in 2005

Always has some kinda load

I did a couple things to it

times it doesn't have a load it handles Bitchin (tires/wheels)

R22 FI, gets 25 mpg all day long

5 speed, No AC/PS, No Problem

image.thumb.png.06723bcb140c5d069e6af9bf1a79f9ea.png

image.thumb.png.fa27f3263e7c1dd2592e08d8c6498dc3.png

• Like 1

But there are times I need a VAN -- just picked this up and makin it how I want it

1988 B250, 318 TBI, 4 Speed Auto, Locking RearEnd, AC/PS, minimal CarPuter BS

20211230_171903.jpg

20211230_171915.jpg

19 hours ago, burndoc said:

He’s just chillin’

Have some empathy for the poor guy. 

He's just addicted love.  I feel his pain.

20 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Although sweet water, I have a decent resume.  These incredible moments  my country is facing draws me to PA.  For all the crap we cause the world and ourselves., most of us are pretty good people willing to help their brother.

You are definitely one of the good ones Cal.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Yeah, they took an SUV, eliminated the hatchback and rendered a small amount of formerly usable space exposed to the elements and made it completely useless.   What's not to like about that!  

50 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

This is the approved shopping list when bad weather is forecast: Storm Chips. 

That seems sensible.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, dacapo said:

9015B34B-3E53-4C04-9111-7AC1C8E225B1.thumb.jpeg.c95c24b8c92d46e7e849de33965c565b.jpeg

Hell yes!!  I am totally down with that!!  :lol:  I use alcohol for medicinal purposes only, and plan to be fine without on those three days....

20 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

the oil from K&N type filters can Fuck-Up FI and Emissions bits

(MAF, O2 sensor etc)

do your own search, the following is just 1 result

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/1681485-k-n-airraid-filters-causing-maf-problems.html

Must have been an idiot who overloaded the gause

after washing and AIR DRYING IN THE SHADE, a light coating of their oil and reinstall.

If new, they are already oiled.

Been using K&N air filters in every car, truck and suv since 1987 without an issue including with a LS motor. Most had 100-250K miles on them when I sold the vehicle.

Much  better chance of trashing the MAP sensor by using standard carb cleaner instead of the more expensive stuff that says it will not wreck you MAP sensor (CRC makes it).

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

If Star Trek was Canadian, they'd all have skin tone like the guy on the upper left.

Captain Kirk was Canadian so fuck you. :D

On 1/14/2022 at 4:02 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

a guy I knew in college  is now married to one of those gals in the background...

For his sake, I hope she was happier off-stage:blink:

May be a cartoon of text that says 'SEE MY SNOWMAN? HE'S ENJOYING A SNOW CONE! THERES NOTHING He LIKES BETTER: AND THE SNOWMAN WITH THE KE CREAM SCOOP IN HIS BACK? IT'S A SORDID STORY.'

• Like 1