Is there an inexpensive smartwatch with sailing timer?

I like the Optimum Time OS12r watch for a basic sailing watch, but what I really want is an inexpensive smart watch for everyday wearing that also has a sailing timer app (5 min countdown with beeps for last few seconds, and then automatically starts stopwatch mode to get elapsed time for race).  Don't need compass functions, don't need GPS, just this apparently rare timer feature.

Does such a thing exist?  Been looking looking looking for a few days now here in June 2021. 

And the Timex Ironman watch isn't smart enough? For $100 less than the Optimum you might have to start the elapsed race timer yourself. 

I bought a Garmin Fenix 5 second hand for a few hundred bucks (New Zealand). Plenty of good and free starting apps available. Also gives me a bunch of GPS readouts like SOG, COG etc. You can also download your course overlaid on a map for later inspection.

I looked at the Timex and Casio watches. Love the $100+ less price. Several watches 'almost' might work.. but when driving the boat not so timely or easy to look down, change modes, start a timer at the start (or anytime!).   Also want a watch I can wear everyday and the Ronstan, Optimum, Fenix, etc at all a bit bulky for my everyday. 

I see others here have resorted to "learning to code" to accomplish similar with some of the Garmin watches.  Perhaps I will end up doing that, too, with one of the humble smart watches such as this Yamay (if users can write apps for these?).  Is there no other countdown timer (with beeps) that will automatically roll into a stopwatch function?  Seems trivial, really.  Just a basic race timer.  :huh:

The Ronstan 40mm watch is pretty cheap, and isn't very big.

I have a 50mm, and while i don't find it too big, I can understand that some might. But especially for a guy, the 40mm is a reasonable size. It's not really bigger than some of the Timex or Casio watches, and is also cheaper than a lot of them.

Timex and so on don't usually have a sync button, which i think is indispensable

In expensive is a relative term when referring to a smart watch.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch that I like (not love).  I was able to get it cheap-ish off EBay (definitely cheaper that a Garmin Fenix) and it has GPS and activity tracker.  It also looks nice for wearing every day.  I downloaded a Sailing Watch app from the Samsung store that allows for quickly selecting length of starting time and has a good sync feature.  It also does gps speed after start but I never use it.  The only downside is that the app uses a fair amount of battery power such that the watch needs to be charged at the end of the day and which I could avoid if I had time to turn off the app after the start.  The only other issue is that my watch default setting is for a blank screen and sometimes the screen shuts down during the starting sequence.  There is a thread in this forum about the Sailing Watch app for Samsung watches.

• Like 1

I bough a digital countdown timer (like, for cooking eggs in the kitchen) for $2.99  for Frostbite racing, but it didn't like the cold weather. Something waterproof like that could work for you, just hang it to something nearby. 

What does your club uses as its primary timer? Most clubs I know now use a radio or GPS controlled timer. So you know the time is correct . No need to set stopwatches, no need to count down, just look at your watch occasionally. I use a Casio radio controlled watch $40.

To save looking at the watch my boat will have a 2.5 inch digital display  kitchen clock on the bulkhead. Radio controlled of course.

On 6/15/2021 at 2:56 PM, Team Subterfuge said:

In expensive is a relative term when referring to a smart watch.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch that I like (not love).  I was able to get it cheap-ish off EBay (definitely cheaper that a Garmin Fenix) and it has GPS and activity tracker.  It also looks nice for wearing every day.  I downloaded a Sailing Watch app from the Samsung store that allows for quickly selecting length of starting time and has a good sync feature.  It also does gps speed after start but I never use it.  The only downside is that the app uses a fair amount of battery power such that the watch needs to be charged at the end of the day and which I could avoid if I had time to turn off the app after the start.  The only other issue is that my watch default setting is for a blank screen and sometimes the screen shuts down during the starting sequence.  There is a thread in this forum about the Sailing Watch app for Samsung watches.

Thanks - good to know, i'll have to look that up. A "renewed" Galaxy SM-R800NZSAXAR looks like might not be too big (but still on the thick side), and comes in at around $135...but is constrained to a Samsung set of android apps.  (Will this even work with my Apple-based phone?) Looking for possible smartwatch that uses Google Wear OS - there are a few apps on Google Play that would accomplish this.  Fenix, Garmin, Suunto watches still too big for my taste for daily wear (which is my ideal solution). Seeking inexpensive, like under $80 (some 'smartwatches" are down around $35...but have not found a Gear OS watch under $100 yet).  Not really a question of budget, but I really am seeking just this very limited functionality..that can be included in a daily wearing watch that can fit under cuffs and be generally inconspicuous.

13 hours ago, The Q said:

What does your club uses as its primary timer? Most clubs I know now use a radio or GPS controlled timer. So you know the time is correct . No need to set stopwatches, no need to count down, just look at your watch occasionally. I use a Casio radio controlled watch $40.

To save looking at the watch my boat will have a 2.5 inch digital display  kitchen clock on the bulkhead. Radio controlled of course.

Our club racing is ad-hoc timing on the water, with rotating RC folks. The count starts when the race committee says, and based on their watch, etc. 

Regattas get more formal and RCs there certainly base on GPS time. 

On 6/14/2021 at 12:00 AM, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I bought a Garmin Fenix 5 second hand for a few hundred bucks (New Zealand). Plenty of good and free starting apps available. Also gives me a bunch of GPS readouts like SOG, COG etc. You can also download your course overlaid on a map for later inspection.

Thats the deal. Around US$200 on CL or FB marketplace. The downloadable Garmin apps suck but there are a couple free 3rd party that do the trick. 

Wanna go all in? Get a Garmin Quatix 6. Great all around. I pretty much never take mine off.

IMG_3259.jpg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TheTidyCleat said:

Our club racing is ad-hoc timing on the water, with rotating RC folks. The count starts when the race committee says, and based on their watch, etc. 

Regattas get more formal and RCs there certainly base on GPS time. 

My club uses a small radio controlled timer that gets taken out on the committee boat..