Single handed Transpacific starts June 19.

GFS for 18z tomorrow (11am Pacific).  Could be a slow-ish first day coming out of the Gate, then off to the races:

image.png.1b3da37638fb1d3b0fb3897006109d4e.png

Good thing the race doesn't start next Saturday, the map just looks ugly:

image.thumb.png.20bbe0f94e0273e54fb99bf78bd8434c.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AgentLocke said:

1080265910_SSTP20216-20-20211900h.png.76bde2b9a82b3b6f8c9f639631cdb366.png

Weird. A stationary low. A few miles N-S will make a big difference. On the bright side, when they get past that troll, the long-range forecast looks good.

• Like 1

The guys heading north looking to gain in the short run. In the longer run getting south looks like the better bet. Green Buffalo's skipper must be looking at a different forecast than I am. 

Aloha made some interesting Crazy Ivans. But, seems to be going well now and along with Green Buffalo and Siren (maybe Nozomi too) are on the good side of the cut off low and headed toward some better pressure.  

SSSout of low.JPG

I was curious on what hardware and communications requirements were.  Found this doc.. https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=JACKY_T007588480&DOC=nt&TYP=pdf

Looks like they can use Garmin In Reach , Garmin In Reach Mini, or Iridium Go.  It would be interesting to hear feedback from the users on their hardware choice after the race.

Aloha is gone, race over.  Next 24 hrs will be tough on the fleet. The Buff and Mountain fighting to get south where the gribs say the wind is. Nozomi heating it up to keep moving. Perplexity says: "Fuck it, I'm biting the bullet now and getting south." 

Next 36hrs will be very entertaining to see things evolve in the light air. Perplexity may have made a very good move.

image.thumb.png.c3e3e05e7f3a356cd64e195398703c68.png

43 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Aloha is gone, race over.  Next 24 hrs will be tough on the fleet. The Buff and Mountain fighting to get south where the gribs say the wind is. Nozomi heating it up to keep moving. Perplexity says: "Fuck it, I'm biting the bullet now and getting south." 

Next 36hrs will be very entertaining to see things evolve in the light air. Perplexity may have made a very good move.

Interesting change in the weather. Let this be a lesson for those who stare at forecasts for more than a few seconds. Good to see the Pacific High asserting herself.

I wish I were out there ... in cruise mode.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be betting against Bill on Hula, the Westsail 32, right about now.  He only did 15nm less than the Hobie 33 in the last 24 hours and the Hobie owes Hula about 4 days!!!  Bill won the SHTP back in the 80's on an Olson 30.  He knows how to make boats go fast.  Just cuz' he is on a Westsail 32 doesn't mean he isn't racing hard.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Roleur said:

I wouldn't be betting against Bill on Hula, the Westsail 32, right about now.  He only did 15nm less than the Hobie 33 in the last 24 hours and the Hobie owes Hula about 4 days!!!  Bill won the SHTP back in the 80's on an Olson 30.  He knows how to make boats go fast.  Just cuz' he is on a Westsail 32 doesn't mean he isn't racing hard.  

My money is on Bill. He knows how to sail Hula. The win in the 80s on the Olson was also a SHTP elapsed time record that stood for several years.

59 minutes ago, Great White said:

My money is on Bill. He knows how to sail Hula. The win in the 80s on the Olson was also a SHTP elapsed time record that stood for several years.

Sailing to his rating. One way to win. But Slotcars might still happen. 

12 hours ago, Roleur said:

That is certainly a big change in equipment!  I think it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on why.

14 hours ago, Roleur said:

Ah, yes I see him back there now. You are right, he's in a good position.

• Like 2

The Mid Pacific High will not leave them be. Looked like they were getting into Slotcars a couple of days ago. But no, looks like Spinning Out into the High is the theme. The track of Aloha, the leader, implies that the actual surface winds are less favorable than depicted on Windy. And the forecasts unreliable. Too bad we will never know if South 'till the Butter Melts would have been a better strategy.

They've been talking for years about starting this race 2-3 weeks later, when the High is better established.  Now that it's raced in odd-numbered years and won't conflict with the Pacific Cup, they should make the change.  The LA Transpac would conflict but it draws a different crowd.  Mostly.  Kyle on the Hobie 33 plans to fly back and race on a boat in the LA Transpac.

Isn't this the earliest starting date in year?   I recall them mostly being held in June 20s range.   Then the start was moved to July to get it closer to the more stable weather, no?   Then back to earlier June this time.

Both races decided to sail during the full moon, SHTP went early, Transpac went late.

The danger of an early start is light winds, the danger of a late start is spinny things with too much wind.

Barring exceptional events, it looks like Kyle/Aloha will be first to finish, but Cliff/Rainbow will correct out a day ahead of everyone else, followed by Bill/Hula and then everyone else.

• Like 1

Sounds like Kyle/Aloha had an exciting last day without a forestay.

• Like 1

1 in 20 boats finish without a headstay in Hawaii races. The h33 sailed a amazing race and also finished without a headstay.  Congratulations Kyle 

10 hours ago, IMR said:

1 in 20 boats finish without a headstay in Hawaii races. The h33 sailed a amazing race and also finished without a headstay.  Congratulations Kyle 

The lesson is don't let your headstay remain slack and moving at the end points.  Find a way to keep it from moving when the rig is way forward.  

• Like 5

Hats off to those sailors . . 

Pretty impressive that a Hobie 33 beat a J-109 and an Express 37  !!! 

On 7/7/2021 at 1:03 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Hats off to those sailors . . 

Pretty impressive that a Hobie 33 beat a J-109 and an Express 37  !!! 

No.