Dusted off my dinghy at the weekend and took it sailing, the mainsheet is not that old but is noticeably stiff and I’m having trouble easing it out in light airs downwind. It wasn’t that high tech when it was new but looking to replace it with something more premium, what’s the best out there? 

Swiftcord, (the original, not the taperable one with spectra core), it just keeps getting better with age, and weighs nothing. (I found the Swiftcord Excel went like concrete after only 2 seasons)

You can try putting the old one in a knotted pillowcase, and running it through the washing machine at 30 degrees, on synthetic wash, with detergent but  without fab con, it can bring it up nicely and restore flexibility.  

• Like 1

More seriously 

it depends on WAY too many factors to answer your vague questions. You didn’t even mention the kind of boat. 
I only stock about ten different spools of line certain individual sailors have decided is exactly what he / she wanted as a mainsheet. 
At this point we have no information with which to render decent advice. We don’t even know:

**if the line will be kept under a cover when not in use. 

**The kind of boat 

** mid boom? End boom?

**Do you bare hand or wear gloves

**do you sail in all breezes or primarily light? Primarily heavy? 

**budget? Does it dictate choices? 

**color preference? Don’t care?

**cleat? What kind/ brand?

**Ratchet? Brand and model?

**How often will  you be using this line ?

**do you plan to compete with champions….. is this the boat at grandma’s cottage you visit for a few days every third summer?

** do you prioritize the thinnest most freely running or do you care more that the  line won’t hurt your hands ? 

*****+
The above  are just a few things I need to know before recommending a mainsheet line. 
it seems to me, anyone who answers without that knowledge doesn’t really give a flying fuck about you or your needs. 

8 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

anyone who answers without that knowledge

True. And yet, very often all the answers lead to 2 or 3 best options. And you can identify the 'threshold' questions; that's why you stock 10, and not 300.

12 minutes ago, martin 'hoff said:

True. And yet, very often all the answers lead to 2 or 3 best options. And you can identify the 'threshold' questions; that's why you stock 10, and not 300.

I stock so few lines because I don’t have the sales volume to justify more.

How impressive was APS rope inventory??

I have something in every size from 1 mm to 7/16”  I have no stretch stuff and good old Dacron.  Last time I checked my inventory totaled about $25,000

APS had my inventory in multiple brands, and multiple colors. They had lines  from the same company whose no stretch cores were  of different materials ( technora, spectra, Vectran, Kevlar…). They had different cover weaves. 

they had spools from which they were selling cut lengths and full spools. 

my best guess is their line inventory was “way more than a million bucks.”

My inventory is limited to serving local boats whose owners î expect to drop by sometime.  “ if I were rigging your boat, I would use this stuff.”

There is no way I can compete with the convenience of ordering on line but I know what everybody else in the fleet is using and probably have seen the rigging on the local sailor’s boat. We figure out exactly what the sailor wants / needs and sometimes we help them order it from somebody else. 

the biggest difference is I know about last weekend’s race and can trade complaints snd bragging about it 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

More seriously 

it depends on WAY too many factors to answer your vague questions. You didn’t even mention the kind of boat. 
I only stock about ten different spools of line certain individual sailors have decided is exactly what he / she wanted as a mainsheet. 
At this point we have no information with which to render decent advice. We don’t even know:

**The kind of boat 

** mid boom? End boom?

**do you plan to compete with champions….. is this the boat at grandma’s cottage you visit for a few days every third summer?

** do you prioritize the thinnest most freely running or do you care more that the  line won’t hurt your hands ? 

*****+
The above  are just a few things I need to know before recommending a mainsheet line. 
it seems to me, anyone who answers without that knowledge doesn’t really give a flying fuck about you or your needs. 

Line will be kept under cover when not used

The dinghy is called a Foxer which is a bit of a bathtub but it’s also the local one design and the racing is taken extremely seriously (I’ll attach a generic photo)

2:1 end boom

prefer bare hands but would consider gloves

sail in all breezes brut primarily light

budget not hugely a factor

don’t care on colour

trimmed straight from the block so no cleat

ratchet block is a 29mm Selden ratchet block on the boom

I plan on racing in the local fleet

I want to both race with the champions and also visit grandma’s cottage 

A compromise between the two

44CE7623-15E4-429F-989D-14823BA75A3D.jpeg.f7867d69cfba5a6aa8055debd876912b.jpeg

Not exactly high tech or high performance is it? Loads are low too so a thinner sheet will be preferable for offwind legs, preferable something fairly grippy so you don’t have to clench your fingers too hard to hold onto it. I would probably go with whatever the local Laser fleet uses, and as Rooster is not that far down the road that would be my first choice.

Often watched the Foxer racing in the river and thought, that looks fine.  Maybe when the knees are a couple of years older, certainly much comfier looking than a Solo, plenty powered up, and the racing always looks close.  Any idea how they word and police the no hiking rule?  Any idea of the helm weight range?

The Rooster Polilite sounds like good advice, it's good value too.  But for me, I still like Swiftcord, ever so slightly rotted in the sun, it's just so easy to grip, and free running.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:37 AM, Gouvernail said:

More seriously 

**The kind of boat 

** mid boom? End boom?

*****+

LOL

For those who don't know, you could possibly step into a Foxer on the Hamble on a summer afternoon and find yourself sailing against some of the top yachters on the planet. Bizarre and hard to grasp I know.

That aside you don't need a fancy mainsheets. Something comfy.

• Like 2
On 6/15/2021 at 10:37 AM, Gouvernail said:

More seriously 

**The kind of boat 

** mid boom? End boom?

*****+

That's a bit harsh, most people answer with what they think is best (or best-for-price) line they've found. Not a bad recommendation but perhaps not as helpful as considering so many aspects and the individual's priorities.

Free-running vs a good "hand" is one of the biggest trade-offs.  With the mainsheet... UV resistance is important too, for one that's left out in the weather at all.

FB- Doug