Brass skin fitting corrosion

Bought my Jeanneau new in 2015.  Both thru hulls show signs o f corrosion today, discoloration and moist.  Can I keep the original skin fittings and just replace everything above(tailpipe, elbow, ball valve) with bronze parts?   I recognize that brass may be the sacrificed metal of the two but would the sealant provide isolation?

19 minutes ago, rksailsolo said:

Bought my Jeanneau new in 2015.  Both thru hulls show signs o f corrosion today, discoloration and moist.  Can I keep the original skin fittings and just replace everything above(tailpipe, elbow, ball valve) with bronze parts?   I recognize that brass may be the sacrificed metal of the two but would the sealant provide isolation?

I would replace them entirely. Brass has no role on a boat outside of decorative bling.

Yes, replace everything looking "iffy" with quality bronze. 

That said, I would be very surprised if the originals were not bronze.  Also, assuming bronze, corrosion, discoloration, etc would suggest a galvanic issue so a careful inspection of your bonding and zinc attachments is in order.  Are your hull, prop and shaft zincs in good condition and doing their jobs?

5 minutes ago, jamhass said:

Yes, replace everything looking "iffy" with quality bronze. 

That said, I would be very surprised if the originals were not bronze.  Also, assuming bronze, corrosion, discoloration, etc would suggest a galvanic issue so a careful inspection of your bonding and zinc attachments is in order.  Are your hull, prop and shaft zincs in good condition and doing their jobs?

Yes, anodes are working.  Thanks

some of the parts are probably DZR brass, which is not awful, and if you can find that marker on the pieces and they look ok, you can probably safely keep them.

other bits, like most likely parts of the ball values will be actual brass, which needs to go.

I believe EU regs allow builders to use a rather low quality alloy for the valves, thru-hulls etc that only have about a 5 year lifespan in sea water. You're about due with a 2015 boat. I haven't kept up on the discourse. 

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/beneteau-responds-to-seacock-query

good thread here:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/groupe-beneteau-s-bad-brass-ball-valves-217676.html

Are the skin fittings showing signs of corrosion?

Simply stated the DZR fittings must be replaced. All of them in their entirety. To do less is to risk failure when you are unprepared to effect an immediate remedy. Their use is strictly a cost cutting measure. Replace them all now with quality bronze fittings and you will be able to sleep at night. 

Personally I'd replace them with Marelon. At least you know what is in it. The only way to know what is in a "bronze" fitting these days is to go into the store armed with a laser spectroscopy gun. And you may well leave empty handed. 

• Like 2

I like the 1-1/2" Marelon. I'm not as fond of their smaller sizes (like 3/4"). The handle gets very flexy and have been known to break (unless they have improved them since a decade ago)

They have improved them, there is also a competitor with a similar product from New Zealand. Against my will, I am beginning to like the OEM Forespar Marelon ones. They do not have the stem problem at all by design, and the seals can be replaced easily and even in the water. I had thought anything used by Catalina and Hunter cannot be that good, but now owning a boat with them I've grown to like them.

5 minutes ago, jason128 said:

They are good

https://www.trudesign.nz/

Yes, I installed a couple of these in my Jeanneau.  Next haulout the rest will be replaced with Trudesign with the collars.  A bit pricey compared to cheaper marelon brands, but not much more than questionable bronze.

On 6/17/2021 at 2:40 AM, Ishmael said:

I would replace them entirely. Brass has no role on a boat outside of decorative bling.

the EU lobbied to allow brass on CE compliant boats...
It think it will survive just till it gets out of warrantee and I bet the CE compliant owners manual said they are to be replaced annually to something?

My boat nearly sank over the winter, due to a failed brass fitting, a previous owner had replaced the old sea toilet, with a holding tank. Unfortunately they had not removed the fittings, but just shut them off, under the holding tank, the hull side splodged over and hidden under antifouling.

Luckily it was in the boat yard for other work and in the quiet of the morning heard trickling water..so it can only have failed shortly before.

Not needing the fittings I've had the hull properly glass repaired.

Else where a couple of brass fittings of identical age have been replaced by their plastic equivalent.

Now you have a 6 year old Jeanneau, it's probably time for a replacement, you might be able to sell your old boat to some jakey, save paying to scrap it.

Sometimes regulators are maddeningly stupid, but to allow brass seacocks, I hope there is a special level of hell for incompetent corrupt public servants.

Replace the lot, so you may sleep better.

49 minutes ago, maxstaylock said:

Now you have a 6 year old Jeanneau, it's probably time for a replacement, you might be able to sell your old boat to some jakey, save paying to scrap it.

Sometimes regulators are maddeningly stupid, but to allow brass seacocks, I hope there is a special level of hell for incompetent corrupt public servants.

Replace the lot, so you may sleep better.

its called the EU, one of reasons for brexit was brass over bronze, the brits just couldnt put up with it being such a proud sailing nation

• Like 2

It never ceases to amaze me the way boat builders get away with this nonsense.  They don't seal penetrations in balsa core laminates either.  We need a Ralph Nader or Consumer Reports for sailboats to expose all this stuff publicly so that unsuspecting buyers are not ripped off anymore.  Better yet, the builders would be forced to do the job properly, or pay compensation to the owners who have to fix their shoddy work.  They know they are doing shit work, and just keep doing it.

• Like 4