late 70's rock and roll

• 'Wish You Were Here'

Now one of the biggest bands on the planet, Pink Floyd reached into their past for an album (like its predecessor, the breakthrough Dark Side of the Moon ) about their one-time leader, Syd Barrett – whose mental illness, among other things, had forced his retirement. Wish You Were Here is their loving postcard to him, with the album's centerpiece "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" one of rock's biggest and most enduring tributes.

• animals.jpg?w=980&q=75

'Animals'

Another one of the many transitional albums in Pink Floyd's career, Animals marks their first real political work as well as a reaction to the punk music then booming in the band's U.K. homeland. The album's five pieces weave together to form one of the group's most complex and textured albums. The gargantuan tour, and its many problems, inspired several of The Wall's most nihilistic moments.

• wall.jpg?w=980&q=75

'The Wall'

Roger Waters dug deep into his personal family history for his double-record masterpiece about war, its toll on survivors, celebrity, isolation and getting sucked into your own head. It's such a fully formed and realized work that when it came time to make a 1982 movie based on The Wall, most of the pieces were already in place. The band's opus ... and its breaking point.

• Read More: Pink Floyd Discography | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-album-discography/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
  • Like 6

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Love that album

I went on a bit of a Little Feat jag a few months back (I collect vinyl) and found a Little Feat recording from King Biscuit (who remembers that one?) Flour Hour. While it doesn't have the Tower of Power backing that Columbus has, it's still pretty amazing. Add to that Lowell's commentary (re Willin he says: this one got me fired from Mothers of Invention) and it was well worth the price (not more than a new CD, IIRC), while not quite in mint condition.

Of course, I got the only one that was available on Discogs at the time.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

I went on a bit of a Little Feat jag a few months back (I collect vinyl) and found a Little Feat recording from King Biscuit (who remembers that one?) Flour Hour. While it doesn't have the Tower of Power backing that Columbus has, it's still pretty amazing. Add to that Lowell's commentary (re Willin he says: this one got me fired from Mothers of Invention) and it was well worth the price (not more than a new CD, IIRC), while not quite in mint condition.

Of course, I got the only one that was available on Discogs at the time.

little feat played at our college , they were still up and coming ..   i was working security for the  "dance commitee" that put on the shows..  i went a couple of hours early and got to watch them "practice" for about two hours...  front row ..    just fucking awesome..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

you gotte sattin shoes..................                 :)

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I neede love ............

:)

btw apparently the Eagles released a tune around this time ........

happy if I never hear it again , it's good just heard it far too often ...

7 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i'm sorry , anyone who thinks boston plays music should have a lobotomy 

Apology accepted.

Or maybe this. Hard to erase the soundtrack of your youth when most of it came through the car radio.

EBE63CDC-2A03-48E8-92BA-8D491A321F6C.thumb.jpeg.f9253263c7cf0f9efb4d87604af03702.jpeg

Boston and Kansas bands overproduced music pretty much killed my interest in American popular bands in the late '70s

On 6/17/2021 at 11:26 PM, Mid said:

btw apparently the Eagles released a tune around this time ........

happy if I never hear it again , it's good just heard it far too often ...

All of the Eagles did better work on their own IMO.

• Like 1

1977- grateful for anything that could drown out disco - the only good to come from disco was to motivate me to learn something to do beside playing in clubs and bars.    FWIW there are some I like better but since we are doing late 70s.

• Like 1

Ok, not exactly late 70s but close enough...

It's early October 1975, I'm fresh outta 4 years in the Navy and heading to New Hampshire with two best buds in my van on a Friday night. We're jazzed, gonna see another brother, hike some White Mountains and do what 20 somethings do.

We're just off the Tappan Zee and have been passing the pipe and sipping Cella Lambrusco from the bottle as young immortals are wont to do and my buddy Rick tunes in an FM underground station outta NYC. FM radio has only recently declared itself the home of all the hippest, coolest, stonedest stuff available on the air and this song comes on.

It was a transcendental moment for me, having spent the previous 3 years on a base that only got an AM polka radio station or I was out at sea.

Lifted my head right off!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, d'ranger said:

1977- grateful for anything that could drown out disco - the only good to come from disco was to motivate me to learn something to do beside playing in clubs and bars.    FWIW there are some I like better but since we are doing late 70s.

college roommates of one of the US's best sail designers

• Like 1

• Like 2

• Like 2

If you like more cowbell..........:lol:

• Like 1

• Like 2

• Like 2

• Like 1

This has been posted too many times in other threads but is still pretty cool...

But then I discovered this from only a few months ago...

Who knew it was about Betty Page?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Willin' said:

This has been posted too many times in other threads but is still pretty cool...

When I heared thet songue, I thick of parenttes neihbore, she tooke us to herre famileys private beache in 66 mustabg 2+2.  In knee hitte watere in white bikiney an complaineng watere wase colde.  My 'Summere of 42' momentte, nevere doidde recoivere...............                         :)

go over the politics. I had this on 8-track bought at the flea market. wore this bitch out.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:59 AM, Snaggletooth said:

When I heared thet songue, I thick of

Large_VOR6051red.jpg