Can't make out the logo but it's not 3Dl. You can see a joining seam above the batten above the "Issue".

Looks like a 4th reef.

Great photo, but not if you were on that boat. 

It looks like it happened so fast that the crew was not looking upward 

with any sort of WTF expression. 

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

200149870_1741558236051298_5989025951936274736_n.jpg

No,  but you have a minor issue with the leech ribbons.

7 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

when you attempt the 4th mode and fail..

Mostly fail

:D

I've had a genoa explode, literally... every seam in it blew out all at once. But that was because it was really old and it's time was way-y past.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

They should ease the vang, I think it's hooking a bit.

"Maybe we should have gone with the offshore main?"

There appears to be load paths running perpendicular to the foot. I only know of one major sailmaker that does that.
That said, seeing it appears to be an RC44 and thus in Europe, so perhaps other brands design sails with such paths, just not ones that make it to the area we sail.

Okay,  I think they’re overdoing the telltale thang....!  Moderation, guys, moderation!

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I've had a genoa explode, literally... every seam in it blew out all at once.

Had a kite do that.

There Is an old Hathaway Reiser & Raymond spinnaker with my name on it somwhere beteeen OSB and The Race looking very much the same. She was a yeoman traction device right to the last puff.

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

There Is an old Hathaway Reiser & Raymond spinnaker with my name on it somwhere beteeen OSB and The Race looking very much the same. She was a yeoman traction device right to the last puff.

Somewhere Skip is smiling.

• Downvote 1

A flappy sail is not a happy sail.......

1 hour ago, pudge said:
10 hours ago, huwp said:

No one mentioned that the outhaul seems loose.

Clearly a tuning issue

Chord depth looks good

Yeah but i was thinking it's too much draft-aft

Pull on some cunno?

FB- Doug

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

hey guys, I think we got to close to the starting cannon..

Channeling my inner Capn Aubrey "Load the cannon with grape!"

Who put scatter shot in the finishing cannon?

Ps at the end of our regatta week the very last boat to finish gets a cannon fired.

Some years ago some one did sail close to our cannon and it did blow/ melt a hole through the jib.. a huge 1/2inch hole.. you can sail your starboard hull gunnel 6 inches from the cannon,  it's thought the burning cardboard cap from the shotgun cartridge hit the sail..

44 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Loose footed mains go all the way to the foot and look more impressive even if less expensive than that rag

Yeah but should the loose foot go all the way up to the top batten??!?!?

FB- Doug

Somewhere out there is a pic of me blowing out the assym on a Melges 24. It was interesting to watch the entire thing, including the Pegasus logo, turn into confetti, leaving only the clews and sheets to hang off the halyard and tabling…

5 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Somewhere out there is a pic of me blowing out the assym on a Melges 24. It was interesting to watch the entire thing, including the Pegasus logo, turn into confetti, leaving only the clews and sheets to hang off the halyard and tabling…

I wouldn't have thought that possible until a large mixed fleet around here sledding south under a brisk wind (20+) got hit with a huge sheer wind that was pushing a 4-5' wave in front of it.  Many boats broached and tore spinnakers with rips up the middle or near the tapes, but one exploded into tiny pieces, giving the appearance of a red "starburst" during the July 4th fireworks.  As a skipper, owner and spectator watching that I alternated between laughing and crying for the next 5 minutes.    

There was a pic of the exact moment that was shown during a slideshow at the cocktail party after the race. Epic confetti moment

bird strike

On 6/19/2021 at 10:39 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Great photo, but not if you were on that boat. 

It looks like it happened so fast that the crew was not looking upward 

with any sort of WTF expression. 

The guy who’s head looks like a horse seems to be looking up. Green (?) sweater white collar…..

Went to the store after working on the boat yesterday and saw a girl in tights that made me think of this thread.

Yea her leech was a bit tight but looked just fine.

185_1000.jpg

On 6/20/2021 at 10:44 AM, ModernViking said:

Well they seem to be happily sailing along with it.
Maybe they just haven't noticed anything yet.

That is the look of a crew that has already decided that sail will finish the race because they can't possibly do any more damage to it.

Kite up with nasty front coming in what was already 15 - 20.  Bowman said "Hey, should we drop?"

Me: "Get ready, we will drop as soon as (insert boat name same class as ours) does.  Not letting the fuckers go!!"

A few seconds later my favorite North Sails kite exploded.  Literally into little pieces.

After the race at the bar, the other skipper came over ...

"that  was spectacular, we were watching you to windward.  I told the bowman that we weren't going to drop the kite till you did."

• Like 3