Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So it's dad's day and I am an Hr into my ribs on my janky $100 smoker I cobbled together from HD and tinfoil trying to decide on Smoking or Nat gas for the next grill.  My main rig is a 20 YO nat gass Vermont castings 5 burner w all the bells and whistles that I have probably used 3x to this day (Looking at you rotisserie burner) LOL.. She has been a war horse, but she is on her last legs.  I have smoked turkeys in the thing for cryin out loud... LOL.  So the choices.  

* Rebuild VC w parts from amazon - $ 60 - 100 depending.  Just guts.  Grates are fine on mine but diffusers and gas tubes are trash.  Cheapest option, but I want a side burner, so that adds to the $$.  $300 rebuilt searing side thing for nat gas...  

* Wife suggested Big green egg.  I am a gas guy, Never got into Charcoal, and this smoking experience w charcoal is showing me that it is not for me on the regular, for burgers and such this would be a pita every night.  

* New Grill w double walled stuff that matches the 20 YO VC grill is gonna be like 2-3k.  We need an actual oven so getting that past the wifie is a no go, but I can dream right??  Not sure what the best brand etc is, but that is in the cards in the future, just not now.  

* Trager...  Best of both worlds??  Prices are in line with the webbers, but I don't want to commit to switch yet.  Fam likes the smoke thing..  I do too, but I am married to the convenience of gas for every day stuff.  ...  Does the Trager heat up Quickly for like burgers and such..  Does food taste better, How does it work in winter??  So many Trager questions.  We grill at least 3x maybe 4/ wk so inquiring minds and all that..  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, shaggy said:

* Trager...  Best of both worlds??  Prices are in line with the webbers, but I don't want to commit to switch yet.  Fam likes the smoke thing..  I do too, but I am married to the convenience of gas for every day stuff.  ...  Does the Trager heat up Quickly for like burgers and such..  Does food taste better, How does it work in winter??  So many Trager questions.  We grill at least 3x maybe 4/ wk so inquiring minds and all that..  

I have one and am a Blackend Belt should you have any issues with one

Perfect for TriTip Roast and the like = More of a Smoker Oven

Coals for Burgers etc

Gas just ain't the thing

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not consider it a do all machine, which is why I have a Traeger, Weber charcoal and an expensive gas grill. Gas grill gets the most use followed by the traeger, Weber for when only charcoal will do.

The Traeger is good at what it does which is smoked meats, you can cook a brisket all day just as easily as a spatchcock chicken in 45 minutes. Super easy to use can even run it wifi which I have yet to try. Clean up is not bad. I would never cook a steak or even burgers on it.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't inquired but the new neighbor has three, count 'em 3! grills on porch. And a campfire ring in yard. 

I was today years old when I heard of spatchcock chicken. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.recteq.com/RT-B380-Bullseye-Wood-Pellet-Grill

 

    I got one for my birthday on Memorial Day Weekend and am in love with it! I did a quick wood fired pizza in 8 minutes last night and it was the best ever. So far I have done sausage, omellet, Baby Back Ribs, Big Boston Butt, and a Spatchcock Chicken and all were perfect. I could have let the Boston Butt stay in for a couple of extra hours but just sliced off the outer fully cooked meat and then the slightly under cooked is getting used in leftover dishes where it finishes cooking in the reheat process.

   Oh and I forgot the Swined Pineapple recipe off the ReqTec website!

https://www.pork.recteq.com/grilled-swineapple

Grilled Swineapple

 

    The Bullseye has a quick preheat mode called 'riot' mode that will allow fast searing of steaks and burgers in almost no time (+700 degrees!) but will also act like a self cleaning oven if carefully monitored. A couple months of 'low and slow' smoking will allow a build up of grease and it can ignite if the riot mode is left on too long. Small price to pay for that ability and as close to being an 'all round' grill smoker that I have come across. I had big plans for adding a circular propane burner ring under the heat diffuser in the bottom of the bowl but have found that not really necessary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i have a propane grill,  i got two small cast iron frying pans from harbor freight,  the frying pans sit right over the burners on one side. I fill each FP with wood pellets for pellet stoves and turn the burner underneath them to very low flame..  meat goes on the other side of the grill I take some aluminum foil and stuff it in the major  vents / cracks..   I can get about an hour  1/2  of smoking out of the two FP's...   I rarely grill anything directly nowadays..  maybe burgers every now and then...     did a 1/2 brisket yesterday, came out great..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Weber Performer grill. Basically a charcoal grill with a propane starter. I find it meets most my needs for smoking and grilling. The propane starter is a great feature so you have no odors from starter fluids or paper.  If I need extra smoke I throw on some wood. Great for brisket, lamb and turkey.

Mine is probably 15 years old and still in great condition.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been cooking with a Traeger for 15+ years.  Over the years I replaced the auger motor, fan, igniter, and fire box (not bad for cooking 3-5 times/week x 15 yrs), the barrel itself was starting to rust out. It was time for a replacement.

I did a lot of research and went with a Recteq 590 this time and I couldn't be happier with the decision.

I have a Weber for grilling burgers, but everything else is done on the Recteq.

Last night's dinner was - 1 1/2lb Ribeye, corn on the cob, jalapeño poppers, and sautéed green beans with almond slices - All cooked on the Recteq.

Link to post
Share on other sites

so I've been in the market for one and I do like the traeger but they don't have high temps for searing and some of the other models do offer that option so I'm leaning towards something that can reach 900 degrees

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bmiller said:

I would not consider it a do all machine, which is why I have a Traeger, Weber charcoal and an expensive gas grill. Gas grill gets the most use followed by the traeger, Weber for when only charcoal will do.

The Traeger is good at what it does which is smoked meats, you can cook a brisket all day just as easily as a spatchcock chicken in 45 minutes. Super easy to use can even run it wifi which I have yet to try. Clean up is not bad. I would never cook a steak or even burgers on it.

Mr miller, Sounds like I am going to end up with your setup eventually...  Covers all the bases.  Any advice on size??  

22 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

I have one and am a Blackend Belt should you have any issues with one

Perfect for TriTip Roast and the like = More of a Smoker Oven

Coals for Burgers etc

Gas just ain't the thing

Cool woodman, How long from fire up to cooking something like like Beer can chicken??  Burgers?

21 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I got one for my birthday on Memorial Day Weekend and am in love with it! I did a quick wood fired pizza in 8 minutes last night and it was the best ever. So far I have done sausage, omellet, Baby Back Ribs, Big Boston Butt, and a Spatchcock Chicken and all were perfect. I could have let the Boston Butt stay in for a couple of extra hours but just sliced off the outer fully cooked meat and then the slightly under cooked is getting used in leftover dishes where it finishes cooking in the reheat process.

 

Sounds wonderful rasp, How $$ are the pellets?  Do you need a whole bag to do the say 4 hrs o ribs??  

5 hours ago, Mikey Don’t Like Sh*t said:

've been cooking with a Traeger for 15+ years.  Over the years I replaced the auger motor, fan, igniter, and fire box (not bad for cooking 3-5 times/week x 15 yrs), the barrel itself was starting to rust out. It was time for a replacement.

I did a lot of research and went with a Recteq 590 this time and I couldn't be happier with the decision.

I have a Weber for grilling burgers, but everything else is done on the Recteq.

Last night's dinner was - 1 1/2lb Ribeye, corn on the cob, jalapeño poppers, and sautéed green beans with almond slices - All cooked on the Recteq.

MDLS(Mikie is already taken by our own cliffie over there in the corner) Sounds like my VC, it is stainless, but the burners are rusting out and I don't have much metal to work with in there.  So why the recteq and not another trager?  Round better?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DaveK said:

so I've been in the market for one and I do like the traeger but they don't have high temps for searing and some of the other models do offer that option so I'm leaning towards something that can reach 900 degrees

Was contemplating getting a searing side burner..  VC was $300 or so on amazon, don't think the brand matters much if it is just bolt on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My other problem here is that I took back a 5 year old water heater to Home Depot and they gave me $1400 store credit on the damn thing. I may had paid $500 for it. Anyways, I got a new water heater and $800 of store credit left so I have to buy what Home Depot sells :( and they do sell Traeger. And they don't offer the sear option as far as  I can tell!!??

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shaggy said:

 

Cool woodman, How long from fire up to cooking something like like Beer can chicken??  Burgers?

 

my expertise comes from issues "They" wont tell you how to address

poor fuckers at CostCo selling them got my wrath until they spilled the beans

by the temp dial etc, there is a pin hole that will take a large Paper Clip

keep punching the button inside till it works as you wood like

Different numbers run the feed cycle & related delays in-between

in effect you can Kick-Up the Max temp or lower it by selecting the setting you prefer

no idea Why but they Don't want you to know about that

I exclusively have used it for TriTip, Salmon, and the like

also have dropped a Squash along side too

Roast opposite end of flame and burgers over the flame

who cares about time, I let it rip and just watch the temp

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveK said:

My other problem here is that I took back a 5 year old water heater to Home Depot and they gave me $1400 store credit on the damn thing. I may had paid $500 for it. Anyways, I got a new water heater and $800 of store credit left so I have to buy what Home Depot sells :( and they do sell Traeger. And they don't offer the sear option as far as  I can tell!!??

you could get a dozen sheets of 5/8 plywood with the $1400

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

MDLS(Mikie is already taken by our own cliffie over there in the corner) Sounds like my VC, it is stainless, but the burners are rusting out and I don't have much metal to work with in there.  So why the recteq and not another trager?  Round better?? 

When I bought my Traeger it was a family owned company.  They got bought out, and it seems that over the years that Traeger spent more on marketing/advertising than producing $1,000+ grill.  I noticed that each time I bought a replacement part, it seem a little less "sturdy".
 
RecTeq is a small company based in Augusta GA. I asked around and everyone I talked or e-mailed with had great reviews, and they picked up the phone when I called up with some questions.
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

$8 for 20# bag at Walmart.

About 1# per hour at smoking temps (225 to 250 degrees but your mileage may vary.

 

5,280 ' so prob.....  THX

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mikey Don’t Like Sh*t said:

 

 

MDLS(Mikie is already taken by our own cliffie over there in the corner) Sounds like my VC, it is stainless, but the burners are rusting out and I don't have much metal to work with in there.  So why the recteq and not another trager?  Round better?? 

When I bought my Traeger it was a family owned company.  They got bought out, and it seems that over the years that Traeger spent more on marketing/advertising than producing $1,000+ grill.  I noticed that each time I bought a replacement part, it seem a little less "sturdy".
 
RecTeq is a small company based in Augusta GA. I asked around and everyone I talked or e-mailed with had great reviews, and they picked up the phone when I called up with some questions.

check out make/model and call the manufacture

I have got at lease 5 BBQ'z that were posted FREE

each had LifeTime warranty on burners and related parts

All shipped for FREE

No not all on porch

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mikey Don’t Like Sh*t said:

 

 

When I bought my Traeger it was a family owned company.  They got bought out, and it seems that over the years that Traeger spent more on marketing/advertising than producing $1,000+ grill.  I noticed that each time I bought a replacement part, it seem a little less "sturdy".
 
RecTeq is a small company based in Augusta GA. I asked around and everyone I talked or e-mailed with had great reviews, and they picked up the phone when I called up with some questions.

ReqTec was a All American product but the Bullseye became so popular that I think that they sourced out the Stainless Steel Bowl and Dome to China and were able to drop the price $100 from the original steel Bullseye. Nothing shoddy about the SS parts on the new Bullseye and it got a pretty good tropical storm brackish water test here on the Bayou from TS Claudette last week. I knew I should have bought the stock cover but just went out and toweled off what little spray had accumulated on it after a long wet and windy night. I would roll it inside but my GF won't have that...

    This seems like a pretty unbiased review of Traeger and Reqtec.

https://www.burningbrisket.com/rec-tec-vs-traeger/

 

    This review covers pretty well the upgrades that came with the new SS components for the Bullseye. The new PID computer controller on the new Bullseye is spot on for temperature, like within 5 degress of what you set it at. I lifter up the flame spreader plate to see if it was time to clean out the ashes in the fire pit/can and was surprised at the nice even layer of ash on the bowl all the way to where the spreader plate sits. A bit of Googling and the gurus say that if you don't disturb that layer it adds insulation to the outer bowl so I am going to leave it alone for now. One of the nice things about the Bullseye is that it seems to have been designed to fit the myriad aftermarket grills and grates that were designed for the Weber Kettle Grill.  One of the accessories originally for the Weber is this nifty rotisserie adapter which has been adapter by ReqTec Bullseye gadgeteers.

Rotisserie - 22" charcoal grills image number 0

 

Here is a Weber searing grate that works well with the Bullseye but I have similar ceramic coated grates from an older square grill that fit in the circular Bullseye.

 

Sear Grate - Gourmet BBQ System image number 0

    There is a metal waterjet cutting shop near ReqTec in Augusta that will custom cut cooking grates out os SS to your logo or artwork that are pretty impressive. Seems that they started with the Georgia Bulldogs team logo since UGA is just down the road, but I might be up for a War Eagle version...

    Can't find a War Eagle themed grill grate but how about this one?

No photo description available.

 

     Here is some sear kit goodies,

 

    ReqTec is taken their 'branding' to more of a 'lifestyle' level with merchandise such as the accessories, rubs, sauces and don't forger the apparel.

The back of a t-shirt for REC TEC Grills, which recently changed its name to "recteq," promotes the company as a lifestyle brand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Charcoal. Fuck gas grills.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shaggy said:

Mr miller, Sounds like I am going to end up with your setup eventually...  Covers all the bases.  Any advice on size??  

Cool woodman, How long from fire up to cooking something like like Beer can chicken??  Burgers?

Sounds wonderful rasp, How $$ are the pellets?  Do you need a whole bag to do the say 4 hrs o ribs??  

MDLS(Mikie is already taken by our own cliffie over there in the corner) Sounds like my VC, it is stainless, but the burners are rusting out and I don't have much metal to work with in there.  So why the recteq and not another trager?  Round better?? 

I have the 780 and it suits my needs well.

https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet-grills/pro/780?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content=ecom&utm_campaign=br-pro-series&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=904216743&utm_kwd=traeger 780 pro&gclid=CjwKCAjw8cCGBhB6EiwAgOReyyfhfeReniV6qm1fNGQVV61NMGc4kht_tfXRjVRVbUnIo3TDlsV0CBoCuYAQAvD_BwE

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

you could get a dozen sheets of 5/8 plywood with the $1400

not dreaming of building a catamaran are you woody ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have charcoal at the lake house and I always augment with seasoned oak.

In town, I have a Big Green Egg which is nice but takes a while and has a small cooking surface, and a Green Mountain (similar to Traeger) The Green Mountain gets hotter and is convenient as an alternative to a tasteless gas grill. TBH I haven't done a low and slow on it yet. Not sure why. SO I can't comment on the level of smoke. But it does make a killer burger as well as doing a fine job on grilled chicken, etc.  Kind of a bitch to clean though.  

If you are serious about a Traeger, look at Green Mountain also. Then make you choice and get cookin'!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was taught to never clean a charcoal grill (Nor a glass coffee pot). The built up grease, and carbon only add to the next meal cooked..... Of course if there's green fuzzy mold, you want to get that grill smokin' hot before you put your steak on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 4:16 PM, DA-WOODY said:

check out make/model and call the manufacture

I have got at lease 5 BBQ'z that were posted FREE

each had LifeTime warranty on burners and related parts

All shipped for FREE

No not all on porch

Prob is they are out o business and I don't know if the amazon pieces parts will work.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

If you want top smoke meat, get a Pit Barrel smoker.  If you want to grill, get a grill, preferably charcoal because otherwise just cook it in the house on your hyper expensive Wolf or Blue Star stove.  

I hate to sound old, and people can spend their money anyway they like, but this shit with cooking outside has gotten out of hand both in the amount of equipment available and the ridiculous prices. 

FFS, smoking meat is the world's 2nd oldest profession! All this hi falutin' crap has only been around for a few years now.  Go to the best BBQ joints in the south and see how they cook the meat.  It ain't no Trager!

Don't mind me, carry on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

If you want top smoke meat, get a Pit Barrel smoker.  If you want to grill, get a grill, preferably charcoal because otherwise just cook it in the house on your hyper expensive Wolf or Blue Star stove.  

I hate to sound old, and people can spend their money anyway they like, but this shit with cooking outside has gotten out of hand both in the amount of equipment available and the ridiculous prices. 

FFS, smoking meat is the world's 2nd oldest profession! All this hi falutin' crap has only been around for a few years now.  Go to the best BBQ joints in the south and see how they cook the meat.  It ain't no Trager!

Don't mind me, carry on.

I am with you, but my last rib experience w charcoal low and slow reminded me why I like gas...  As I said above, My kick ass VT castings grill is on it's last legs, so I am checking out the options.  Leaning trager, but I gotta nurse mine for a bit longer.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shaggy said:

I am with you, but my last rib experience w charcoal low and slow reminded me why I like gas...  As I said above, My kick ass VT castings grill is on it's last legs, so I am checking out the options.  Leaning trager, but I gotta nurse mine for a bit longer.  

I'm just being crabby.

I live in Poland where people are just now having enough extra money to get a Weber or a basic gas grill.  But you wouldn't believe what they can do slow smoking pork products in 50 gallon drums (or the metric equivalent) or fabricobbled out of old sheet metal.  Not BBQ smoking, but meat curing smoking.  And it isn't just ham.  They can smoke every part of the pig, including the squeal, and they make sausage out of the rest. They smoke it low and slow for well more than 12 hours and it comes out smoked to absolute, delicately flavored perfection.  It's a national artform practiced by serious amateurs up to big companies that still do it the old fashioned way.  Every body here has a grandfather or uncle known for their ability to smoke pork.  But they can't grill a hamburger or steak for shit.  They usually use hardwood with a hint of flavor, nothing strong.  Fruit wood and maple (not sugar maple) are the most common, hardwood forests don't happen much anywhere in Europe, it was all harvested years ago.  The ubiquitous pine forests have hardwoods sprinkled here and there, mostly oak, maple, birch, beech and locust, and very few of them are terribly old.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2021 at 9:39 AM, shaggy said:

I am with you, but my last rib experience w charcoal low and slow reminded me why I like gas...  As I said above, My kick ass VT castings grill is on it's last legs, so I am checking out the options.  Leaning trager, but I gotta nurse mine for a bit longer.  

$400 bones at lowes and better than a traeger..

 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-820-sq-in-Matte-Black-Pellet-Grill/5001913559

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2021 at 7:01 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

$400 bones at lowes and better than a traeger..

 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-820-sq-in-Matte-Black-Pellet-Grill/5001913559

and for just a tad more,   a Z-grill

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Z-GRILLS-ZPG-7002B-694-sq-in-Black-Pellet-Grill-and-Smoker/5001255583

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

at $1200 you better be....

It's well priced for what you get. I've done 27 lbs of drumsticks at one time on it. It's built like a tank. Super easy to entertain large crowds. I paid $800 for our Weber over a decade ago and it wasn't built anywhere near as well as this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shife said:

We've been quite happy with our Recteq 700. I sold the Weber and we just use this now. Best cooking device I've ever purchased next to sous vide.

20210810_194220.jpg

Nice place. Where is this? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Nice place. Where is this? 

Been looking at Zillow as well Mr Miller...  A nice house with a dock and a lab would be a nice change of pace...  Gotta find one somewhere that does not require a xl snowblower 6 mo of the yr.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Nice place. Where is this? 

It's a small private lake just south of Owosso, MI. Just big enough that you can ski and wakeboard, but no public access so it stays fairly quiet. I grew up about a half mile away. We moved back here in 2019 after living in the Metro Detroit area for a couple decades.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Been looking at Zillow as well Mr Miller...  A nice house with a dock and a lab would be a nice change of pace...  Gotta find one somewhere that does not require a xl snowblower 6 mo of the yr.  

But then you'd miss out on the ice fishing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shife said:

But then you'd miss out on the ice fishing.

Been there done that...  (Lake Geneva, Chicago, Love the summers, I can tolerate the winters) No way in hell wifie is going to go for that.  Was looking at Oregon/Washington...  Donno...  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

The RecTeq Bullseye is pretty affordable for a pellet grill and it has what they call the RIOT mode which can do a fine sear without gadgets such as that gun above.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=881020565702345

RIOT mode can reach 700 degrees supposedly and it also great for self cleaning when the inside gets gunked up from marinades and such. 

The Bullseye is a great unit. I wouldn't consider the king of culinary torches a gadget, but then again I've been using versions of them with sous vide cooking for many years. It's also instant and has no warm up time to hit searing temp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shife said:

The Bullseye is a great unit. I wouldn't consider the king of culinary torches a gadget, but then again I've been using versions of them with sous vide cooking for many years. It's also instant and has no warm up time to hit searing temp.

Would you call this a gadget Shife?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Would you call this a gadget Shife?

 

I've never used one. Brother in law received one for Christmas years ago and they seem to like it for adding flavor to dishes. I can put three entire casseroles in the cold smoke box on my Recteq, so I'm probably not the target market.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...