so I have this Pearson Flyer....I fixed up last season and I got it out racing this past friday....we did ok...for first time on course with this boat...it was 10-15 with sustained shifty "puffs" of 18-20 and gusts to 25

any who when we were closed hauled with a reef in main...we got a lot of leech flutter in the 110 jib....and we had to significantly fall off to stop it...(one being the shifting wind and the other the higher velocity)

We have an inside and outside track for the jib and we were about halfway....on the track...we felt the inside might have been the better choice and the car further up to pull that leech tighter, we did pull the backstay tighter and that helped but we did not want to over crank that....

Pix on a light air day for reference....on the outside track mostly back....see the angle of the sheet.

thoughts?

PXL_20210612_132500517.jpg

Sail trim won't fix a blown leech, which is what this sounds like.

Does the sail have draft stripes? Where's the max draft, and can you shift it forward with halyard tension? Does the upper part of the sail respond when you start shifting the lead aft?

I've always liked the Flyer, but if you're trying to point with J-29s then stop doing that. In my experience, it just plain won't.

FB- Doug

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

oes the sail have draft stripes? Where's the max draft, and can you shift it forward with halyard tension? Does the upper part of the sail respond when you start shifting the lead aft?

No draft stripes....

Not tried that.

Yes....still had a few clicks....and I did not adjust the leech line....will look at that...it was good except FTMP until we got in gusts over 20 knots....

But it is an older sail...so it might be blown out for higher velocity....

If the sail is new then the sailmaker should adjust something. If not new then the sailmaker should make a new sail. Leech flutter is not a trim issue.

You have an issue at the tack and luff too. Looks like a flying sail. Luff should be much closer to the foil. No gap. 

8 minutes ago, EvaOdland said:

No draft stripes....

Not tried that.

Yes....still had a few clicks....and I did not adjust the leech line....will look at that...it was good except FTMP until we got in gusts over 20 knots....

But it is an older sail...so it might be blown out for higher velocity....

NOLATOM's suggestion is a great starting point, I was just trying to judge what the condition of the sailcloth was, overall.

Ideally, you look at the upper and lower luff tell-tales while the sail is trimmed... head up slowly and see whether it "breaks" first at the upper or lower. If lower, move the lead aft. If upper breaks first, move lead forward. Get them to flutter exactly the same.

The exception to this rule is if the boat is overpowered, then let the lead aft.

But it's a good idea to see if the lead position affect your leech problem.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Is the luff in the grove on the furler foil?  The first couple feet of the luff look awfully far off the foil.  If it’s in the groove (which I assume), I’d guess luff tension is way low.  

Also, how is headstay sag?  With the frac rig, the backstay isn’t giving you any increase in headstay tension… so might need to adjust.  Especially in the wind-range you reference.

Lots of good advice, but just wanted to point-out the lower portion of the luff doesn’t look right to me, and I’d guess you need some halyard and maybe headstay tension in addition to the inside track.

Put some tension on the leach line to stop the flutter. If you have use so much tension that the leach cups, the the sail is likely blown out. Sometimes this can be recut, but only a sailmaker can advise you.

Thanks for all the responses....

Being my first true race boat...these critters are complicated...

We did show some speed potential out there though...all in all, despite the not so good results, it was a good showing....wasn't the boat for the most part...bad start and too high on first leg put us in the backseat...

"We sailed the boat well...it was just our on course decisions that were bad."

I hope you have cotter pins in the turnbuckles…can’t see them from the pic, but the uppers look near the ends and ready to let loose. 

Oh, and another thing, did you tune the rig?

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I hope you have cotter pins in the turnbuckles…can’t see them from the pic, but the uppers look near the ends and ready to let loose. 

Oh, and another thing, did you tune the rig?

Good eye!

• Like 1
On 6/21/2021 at 4:50 PM, Sail4beer said:

hope you have cotter pins in the turnbuckles

no pins....had them out after tightening up the rig after splash...I tightened them up, by feel mostly and was expecting 5-10 knots for the race but that turned into 15-20...so still need to do a good tuning...and secure those...I do watch...

On 6/21/2021 at 12:07 PM, gt-MTb said:

Is the luff in the grove on the furler foil?  The first couple feet of the luff look awfully far off the foil.  

The foil is pretty high on this furler...actually this head sail should have the tack fixed to a shackle under the furler on the deck. I forgot to change it in the confusion getting the main up in 25 knot gusts and running out of room in the harbor...lots of crap went down in the unexpected heavy air as we left the dock.

I did some analysis of our race on raceqs....1:42 late start (was late getting out the mile and half to the start area) and we lost 35 seconds on the first leg from going to high, let a boat get to windward on the broad reach 2nd leg and lost another 20 seconds....the course, a drag race, only a gybe to port on mark 1 and harden up to the finish....so the 2:30 or so lost was the major undoing...we got ninth of 9 in division instead of 2 or 3 and 27th of 34 in the fleet instead of in the top ten...the boat was fast enough to finish well we just made a too many mistakes.

• Like 1
On 6/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, EvaOdland said:

so I have this Pearson Flyer....I fixed up last season and I got it out racing this past friday....we did ok...for first time on course with this boat...it was 10-15 with sustained shifty "puffs" of 18-20 and gusts to 25

any who when we were closed hauled with a reef in main...we got a lot of leech flutter in the 110 jib....and we had to significantly fall off to stop it...(one being the shifting wind and the other the higher velocity)

We have an inside and outside track for the jib and we were about halfway....on the track...we felt the inside might have been the better choice and the car further up to pull that leech tighter, we did pull the backstay tighter and that helped but we did not want to over crank that....

Pix on a light air day for reference....on the outside track mostly back....see the angle of the sheet.

thoughts?

PXL_20210612_132500517.jpg

Hard to say 

most likely you need to move your leed car forward to tighten the leach 

for cruising ...I determine the correct leed position with the telltales  .... then move the car one pin forward so that the leech stays supported when I crack the sheet off

• Like 1