The Clan of the Red Beanies American branch, is on the march for the soul of Joe Biden

SOB Joe Biden should be denied communion for daring to support abortion. But Trump's killing spree over 6 months is peachy. 

The Clan of the Red Beanie's American Branch Is on the March Against Joe Biden 
It takes a lot of imperial gall for American bishops to advise the priests in their dioceses to take an action the Pope has publicly opposed. 

By Charles P. Pierce 
Jun 21, 2021 

The Clan of the Red Beanie’s American branch always has looked hungrily at the rising political power of that splinter of American Protestantism that has attached itself to conservative politics. For a long while, it had its face planted against the showcase window because many of those Protestants also believed the Pope was the Whore of Babylon. Under the papacies of John Paul II and Benedict, the forces nearly were joined, but then Holy Mother Church stood revealed as an international conspiracy to obstruct justice, so that threw a wrench into the works. Now that we have the second Roman Catholic president in our history, the Clan of the Red Beanie (American Branch), which has little use for Papa Francesco, has decided to flex again. ... 

The Times, and other outlets, are guilty of hyping this development just a bit. First of all, this is the draft of a letter from a bunch of busybody Pat Robertson wannabes that has almost no chance of passing through the entire USCCB this fall. (In addition, the sourcing on the Times story is embarrassing, far too heavily weighted toward the conservative American churchmen and laity.) Second, until they’re willing to drop the same sanction on politicians who support—or worse, carry out—the death penalty, nobody should care what they think. And third, and most important, it takes a lot of imperial gall for American bishops to advise the priests in their dioceses to take an action the Pope has publicly opposed. If bishops won’t listen to their Pope, why should priests listen to their bishops? 

In short, whatever this sizable rump faction of the American episcopate wants to declare, any priest who wants to give communion to Joe Biden should do so freely in the knowledge that the Chair of Peter is behind him. If these people want a schismatic American Catholic church because they’re not riding high in Rome anymore, they should go ahead, show some guts, and declare one. Vatican II declared that the Church was the entire People of God, and a lot of us are tired of being perennially pestered by Papal States nostalgics who dress more extravagantly than Bob Mackie ever dressed Cher. 

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a36789718/american-bishops-joe-biden-communion-abortion/

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Sounds to me like the church is playing with their tax exemption....

The IRS is too chicken shit to go there. Separation of church and state, and a Supreme court willing to give free blowjobs to (alleged)child molesters.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

The IRS is too chicken shit to go there. Separation of church and state, and a Supreme court willing to give free blowjobs to (alleged)child molesters.

How about the local tax assessors? The church doesn’t own too much valuable property….

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

How about the local tax assessors? The church doesn’t own too much valuable property….

It would still end up in court. They really need to address that issue, until it is resolved, the problem will stay here. As far as the property, I would be all for condemnation   and new homes built, some churches have pretty attractive parcels and would be perfect for the homeless.(snark)

• Like 1

As would be expected given the 20-point decline in church membership overall, the Gallup data show declines among all major subgroups of the U.S. population beyond age, with some differences in the size of that decline.

Among religious groups, the decline in membership is steeper among Catholics (down 18 points, from 76% to 58%) than Protestants (down nine points, from 73% to 64%).

U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time

Keep it up with protecting molesters and you won't be able to pay the electric bill.

8 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

As would be expected given the 20-point decline in church membership overall, the Gallup data show declines among all major subgroups of the U.S. population beyond age, with some differences in the size of that decline.

Among religious groups, the decline in membership is steeper among Catholics (down 18 points, from 76% to 58%) than Protestants (down nine points, from 73% to 64%).

U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time

Keep it up with protecting molesters and you won't be able to pay the electric bill.

Think what Biden could do if he said he was joining the Episcopalians.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

It would still end up in court. They really need to address that issue, until it is resolved, the problem will stay here. As far as the property, I would be all for condemnation   and new homes built, some churches have pretty attractive parcels and would be perfect for the homeless.(snark)

You can fit a lot of homeless people and cats in the usual Catholic church everynight whereas condemnation and new homes would house few. Make all the homeless get out on Sunday before 8 am and no one will notice for years and will continue tithing. 

12 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

You can fit a lot of homeless people and cats in the usual Catholic church everynight whereas condemnation and new homes would house few. Make all the homeless get out on Sunday before 8 am and no one will notice for years and will continue tithing. 

Given how few go to church these days, would they really have to leave on Sunday?

I have to think that if Biden doesn't like the values of the denomination he belongs to, he can join another one. As long as Catholic laity put up with the clergy pushing them around, the red beanies will have the power they have to do stupid things. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

Foxy News would blow a gasket about him acting like a king. 

especially if he acted like King Henry VIII and seized a lot of Church property.

- DSK

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

204711664_4348528491825576_4463548892711618644_n.jpeg

And there I was thinking that taking confession absolved you of  everything?

Do they still also play the old indulgences for absolution extortion/blackmail grift?

21 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Do they still also play the old indulgences for absolution extortion/blackmail grift?

Sounds like that's EXACTLY the game they play.

8 hours ago, badlatitude said:
8 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Expand  Expand  

That's as may be but I'd bet they get a whole lot of them back when they start cramming for finals.

The catholic church gets a very deep grip on people. They may go on the inactive list for a long time but few actually resign.

• Like 1

I know the history, but I can't really get onboard with burning churches. I think I will wait and see what turns up on this. Like the Chief says, many of his people are devout Christians in spite of everything-that's their choice. That was crazy in Norway when a church built in 1150 got burned down by heavy metal buffs. If you go into just about band office in Canada you will see picture of the big Chief who lives in London. Respect the treaties the her folks made with indigenous people and we will all be better off. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sidecar said:

And there I was thinking that taking confession absolved you of  everything?

That, plus your penance, plus your solemn promise to not commit future sins, do absolve you.... temporarily.

I've never been given an exact time limit, I think they are over-selling the whole concept.

- DSK

15 hours ago, badlatitude said:

some churches have pretty attractive parcels and would be perfect for the homeless.(snark)

some religious groups (Jehovah's and Hasidic Jews) buy up entire communities and call their homes places of worship thus being tax exempt.  Then the communities go into disrepair, they non religious people leave  , the schools become shite, and the entire area  is taken over...tax them all 

15 hours ago, badlatitude said:

In my vast experience they are wonderful people!!  They drink even more than the Irish Catholics!!  :lol:

EDIT: When I was 9 or so years old, I went to a Catholic Mass with the neighbor kids.  I followed them up to the Priest to get the cracker and grape juice.  Who was I to be different??  Years later, I learned that I did a bad thing, because I had not had a proper Communion, or whatever before hand.  :wacko::ph34r:

The bloom is off the Catholic rose, and religion generally, for thinking people.

Still, it may have to be fought church by church due to the millions committed to a belief based on an inventive narrative. When worrying about being shot while shopping, kids out of school, and contagion concerns, I can see the average believer thinking, " I'm too busy with problems I can see to worry about a back burner project like re-thinking religion. That can wait." 

Even on a scale of paradigm shifts, this is big.

It will fall to the average Joe and Julie in their local communities, as it always does, to lead away from religion.  When the people lead, leaders will eventually follow.

Burning out a church is powerful juju. If you believe in juju. 

Otherwise, it's more like rat removal. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

In my vast experience they are wonderful people!!  They drink even more than the Irish Catholics!!  :lol:

EDIT: When I was 9 or so years old, I went to a Catholic Mass with the neighbor kids.  I followed them up to the Priest to get the cracker and grape juice.  Who was I to be different??  Years later, I learned that I did a bad thing, because I had not had a proper Communion, or whatever before hand.  :wacko::ph34r:

I pretty much gave up on the Catholic Church when I realized they were counseling people on morality while knowing that many priests were pedophiles running loose in Catholic schools. Growing up, we had a Cardinal in Los Angeles who was a strident right winger, and if you wanted to advance in the priesthood you had to become a member of the John Birch Society. Naturally, extreme right wing politics informed the average priest of a narrow path of moral thought that became commonplace in L.A. It was a fucked up time.

8 hours ago, spankoka said:

I know the history, but I can't really get onboard with burning churches. 

They can burn the entire catholic church to the ground and I'll shed not a single tear.

I's the biggest criminal enterprise on the face of the earth, responsible for untold atrocities and the deaths of uncounted millions.

It has an inexcusably shameful history.

15 hours ago, Sidecar said:

And there I was thinking that tMaking confession absolved you of everything?

FIFY.

Also, after making confession the priest may absolve you for the sins you confessed to - or not. In a case of rape or murder for example the priest may require you to turn yourself in to law enforcement in order to receive absolution. (that seems to only apply to the congregants and not to other clergy...)

As to indulgences, I confess that I do not know if the general public can purchase one. I do know that every priest is given a papal indulgence upon his ordination, and I think there's something not quite right about that.

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Why do I feel like all this should be happening in 1521, not 2021 :rolleyes:

Because...

flying_circus_meme.jpg

• Like 2
17 hours ago, spankoka said:

I have to think that if Biden doesn't like the values of the denomination he belongs to, he can join another one. As long as Catholic laity put up with the clergy pushing them around, the red beanies will have the power they have to do stupid things. 

I would say President Biden seems to be fine with the values of the denomination, as shared by those in charge of the entire denomination. 

It is the American Bishops who are outside of the official stance of the Vatican.  Maybe THEY should leave, if they don't like the guidelines.

Vatican Warns U.S. Bishops: Don’t Deny Biden Communion Over Abortion

“The concern in the Vatican,” said Antonio Spadaro, a Jesuit priest and close ally of Francis “is not to use access to the Eucharist as a political weapon.”

Pope Francis, who has explicitly identified the United States as the source of opposition to his pontificate, preached this month that communion “is not the reward of saints, but the bread of sinners.” His top doctrinal official, Cardinal Luis Ladaria, wrote a letter to the American bishops, warning them that the vote could “become a source of discord rather than unity within the episcopate and the larger church in the United States.”

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Remodel said:

FIFY.

Also, after making confession the priest may absolve you for the sins you confessed to - or not. In a case of rape or murder for example the priest may require you to turn yourself in to law enforcement in order to receive absolution. (that seems to only apply to the congregants and not to other clergy...)

As to indulgences, I confess that I do not know if the general public can purchase one. I do know that every priest is given a papal indulgence upon his ordination, and I think there's something not quite right about that.

Thank you.

You are being too coy and polite: The other highlighted parts are proof of corruption, ie, you can do no wrong as a member of the gang and by accepting the bribe/indulgence upon ordination, you have incriminated yourself as being one of them. If your priest won’t absolve you through confession, you could try offering him a (negotiable) personal indulgence. In kind sexual favours apparently seems to be the best way to go…..

Not to worry though, there are very few religions that don’t operate in similar ways in order for a chosen few to have control over the many…..

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Thank you.

You are being too coy and polite: The other highlighted parts are proof of corruption, ie, you can do no wrong as a member of the gang and by accepting the bribe/indulgence upon ordination, you have incriminated yourself as being one of them. If your priest won’t absolve you through confession, you could try offering him a (negotiable) personal indulgence. In kind sexual favours apparently seems to be the best way to go…..

Not to worry though, there are very few religions that don’t operate in similar ways in order for a chosen few to have control over the many…..

How it evolved. Current theory is that religion arose with elderly people who could neither hunt nor gather claiming a share of the tribe's food, on the basis that they could talk to the spirits and intercede for the tribe's good.

"Don't push me out of the cave, don't feed me to the wolves! I have an invisible friend who knows where the choice grubs & berries are!"

And now look where we are.

Fuckers!

- DSK

• Like 2

Maybe, but from the utilitarian point of view-if religion makes you happy then go for it. Observant Sikhs have a very demanding religion, but it looks good on them. 

26 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

How it evolved. Current theory is that religion arose with elderly people who could neither hunt nor gather claiming a share of the tribe's food, on the basis that they could talk to the spirits and intercede for the tribe's good.

"Don't push me out of the cave, don't feed me to the wolves! I have an invisible friend who knows where the choice grubs & berries are!"

And now look where we are.

Fuckers!

- DSK

Indigenous Australians elders were the tribal repository of history, knowledge and experience as well, but apparently if push came to shove, it was the elders who were sent first across rivers and estuaries to see if there were any crocodiles or sharks around….

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Indigenous Australians elders were the tribal repository of history, knowledge and experience as well, but apparently if push came to shove, it was the elders who were sent first across rivers and estuaries to see if there were any crocodiles or sharks around….

The Pragmatist Party run by young Turks

Only recently (1992) did the church admit that Galileo was right about the earth revolving around the sun, weird thinking trumps the rational when it is embedded in the powerful.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Frakka said:

Only recently (1992) did the church admit that Galileo was right about the earth revolving around the sun, weird thinking trumps the rational when it is embedded in the powerful.  

Are you saying the catholic church has advanced all the way to the 16th century?

On 6/21/2021 at 5:27 PM, badlatitude said:

some churches have pretty attractive parcels and would be perfect for the homeless.(snark)

The priests/pastors would all be homeless if they had to supports themselves.  

As an immigrant to Australia from South Africa back in the 80's, one of the most heartening and encouraging things I experienced early on was realizing that most people here were happily atheist and had a strong distrust of organized religion.

The common sense is strong here..............

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think anybody looks good here. The journalists involved in purchasing his phone data definitely are stretching their ethical boundaries. 

2 hours ago, spankoka said:

I don't think anybody looks good here. The journalists involved in purchasing his phone data definitely are stretching their ethical boundaries. 

Yeah.

That sucks.

I'm not seeing an ethical problem here. Someone want to school me?  In any case, the 'media' was The Pillar, a Catholic website. It wasn't the WashPo. I think The Pillar is more Catholic than it is media.

https://www.pillarcatholic.com/p/pillar-investigates-usccb-gen-sec

Welcome to The Pillar.

We’re a Catholic media project focused on smart, faithful, and serious journalism, from committed and informed Catholics who love the Church.

Our focus is on investigative journalism, which is how we’ll spend most of our time. We think investigating stories that matter can help the Church to better serve its sacred mission, the salvation of souls.

https://www.pillarcatholic.com/about?utm_source=menu-dropdown

On 6/22/2021 at 11:30 PM, billy backstay said:

At a similar age, I stood up, looked at the biscuits on the plate and grabbed the biggest one.

They wouldn't let me near the wine.....

On 6/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, Sidecar said:

Thank you.

The Bible says "god made man in his own image".

I take that to mean the chosen few can fuck right off and leave my own, individual image and its relationship to God alone.

Organised religion? Not on my God's watch!

On 6/23/2021 at 11:29 AM, Sidecar said:

Why would a young crocodile or shark attack someone who professes to know their sprit?

6 hours ago, spankoka said:

Another similar example.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/21/alaska-assistant-attorney-general-twitter-far-right

Again, I see no ethical boundary being crossed.

Cardinals and other birds should stick to doing what they do best, Ignoring what priests, and bishops do to young children.

God will treat them according to his(or her) own standards. But remember that Matthew 19:14 says... "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

42 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Another similar example.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/21/alaska-assistant-attorney-general-twitter-far-right

Again, I see no ethical boundary being crossed.

So if Alex Jones used the same technique to get some juicy content about how Greta Thunberg spends her time, would you approve? Some Islamofascist website might think harassing Malala Yousafzai this way was a good idea, and The Pillar set the precedent for them. 

I think what you're describing is doxxing, not journalism. In the case of Burrill, The Pillar was policing extreme hypocrisy. In the case of the Alaskan AAG, the Guardian was exposing similar hypocrisy. Is it possible to use the same techniques to doxx otherwise innocent people, yeah, but that's not journalism.

9 hours ago, badlatitude said:

I bet he belongs to the Florida Republican Party as well.

Perhaps he should get a room with Joe Gruters (R-FL),  sounds like match made in heaven.

• Like 1

I would agree with the views that the padre's phone is private and off limits, 

EXCEPT FOR THE FACT 

that he was apparently on board with denying Joe Biden the sacraments. 

If that is true, he got what he deserved.

(Ex-catholic) 

6 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

At a similar age, I stood up, looked at the biscuits on the plate and grabbed the biggest one.

They wouldn't let me near the wine.....

I'm not Catholic, thanking fucking god... if there was a god.  But I've been to Catholic services.  I used to time the duration of the rows going up for eating the symbolic flesh and blood of the big J, then multiply it by the total rows as an estimate as to when I would get the fuck out of there.   Would there be a problem to slap slices of salami and provolone on the biscuit before eating it?  Lemme guess.... Yes. It would a problem. 

On 6/23/2021 at 6:56 PM, Happy said:

As an immigrant to Australia from South Africa back in the 80's, one of the most heartening and encouraging things I experienced early on was realizing that most people here were happily atheist and had a strong distrust of organized religion.

The common sense is strong here..............

Don't be fooled, there are pockets of weirdness around the place.

Biden should let everyone know the NSA just gave him a list of all clergy currently registered on Grindr. Next problem.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, benwynn said:

I'm not Catholic, thanking fucking god... if there was a god.  But I've been to Catholic services.  I used to time the duration of the rows going up for eating the symbolic flesh and blood of the big J, then multiply it by the total rows as an estimate as to when I would get the fuck out of there.   Would there be a problem to slap slices of salami and provolone on the biscuit before eating it?  Lemme guess.... Yes. It would a problem. 

I can still draw the ceiling tiles and roof fans of every church in my youth being ingrained into my memory from countless hours staring trancelike at the ceiling wishing desperately for the 10 plaques of Egypt to descend on us all and be fucking done with it. 

23 minutes ago, benwynn said:

Now you've got me wondering if it would be ok to bring dips.

I mean, fuck it, if we're going to celebrate the life and death of someone*, we might as well make it a proper party!

*Someone, something, whatever.

11 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I mean, fuck it, if we're going to celebrate the life and death of someone*, we might as well make it a proper party!

I have this mental image of taking Jesus and dunking him in some french onion dip like a piece of celery. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, benwynn said:

I think you may want to reconsider kneeling down in front of a priest, with your mouth open, asking for salami.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ncik said:

Don't be fooled, there are pockets of weirdness around the place.

Our Prime Minister likes to get down at Hillsong, eyes closed and one hand waving in the air. I sincerely hope he's just doing it for the votes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Happy said:

Our Prime Minister likes to get down at Hillsong, eyes closed and one hand waving in the air. I sincerely hope he's just doing it for the votes.

I wouldn't bet any money on that, though. He *was* a marketing type and therefore capable of anything at all.

Except sincerity.

FKT

• Like 1
13 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

I would agree with the views that the padre's phone is private and off limits, 

EXCEPT FOR THE FACT 

that he was apparently on board with denying Joe Biden the sacraments. 

If that is true, he got what he deserved.

(Ex-catholic) 

Disagree strongly

Unethical snooping and invading privacy does not suddenly become OK because the person you're doing it to has committed a crime. That used to be enshrined as a Constitutional principle, lately it's getting more and more flexible, to the point where some people think it's perfectly OK to torture prisoners as long as they're terrorists.

- DSK

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Disagree strongly

Unethical snooping and invading privacy does not suddenly become OK because the person you're doing it to has committed a crime. That used to be enshrined as a Constitutional principle, lately it's getting more and more flexible, to the point where some people think it's perfectly OK to torture prisoners as long as they're terrorists.

- DSK

But it's OK to stop and frisk a black kid walking down the sidewalk holding a chocolate bar?

On 6/21/2021 at 3:16 PM, Raz'r said:

Sounds to me like the church is playing with their tax exemption....

One can only hope.

On 6/21/2021 at 6:21 PM, spankoka said:

They have all this drama now, when Biden does pass away-a Bishop will conduct the service. 

It's all about staying in the limelight.

That's why the evangelical pastors love TFG.  Who better to show them how to get a camera to aim at them.

Agreed, I just remember when Pierre Trudeau died. The man who saw to it that homosexuality and abortion were legalized in Canada seemed to have every single priest in Montreal show up for his funeral. If they had the courage of their convictions here, the church would have sent the most humble priest (I would suggest a Franciscan) they could find to do the service. After all, it should be all the same to God. 

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Disagree strongly

- DSK

Mincing words but in my view criminal behavior cancels your Constitutional rights. Rights are for good men and true.

9 hours ago, spankoka said:

the church would have sent the most humble priest (I would suggest a Franciscan)

The Franciscan Sisters are even more humble . .  and cool. 

Many a time they schooled me on justice  . . 

In the end I don't see what is served by outing this guy as a poof, since if the issue is abortion-I can make a decent secular argument against abortion. 

11 hours ago, Blue Crab said:
18 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Disagree strongly

- DSK

Expand  

Mincing words but in my view criminal behavior cancels your Constitutional rights. Rights are for good men and true.

In the sober light of morning, I realize the C Rights are meant to protect citizens and like everything else it's not a simple situation and we've had lots of abuse in the past. 

• Like 1
On 7/21/2021 at 11:01 PM, Ease the sheet. said:

Now you're talking.   If the wine is the blood, and the biscuit is the body, you just need assignments for the dips.   "Take this Garlic Spinach dip, for this is my Holiness...  Take this guacamole, for this is my Grace....  ".   Then you don't get just one biscuit, you get like a dozen in a bowl. 

15 hours ago, benwynn said:

Now you're talking.   If the wine is the blood, and the biscuit is the body, you just need assignments for the dips.   "Take this Garlic Spinach dip, for this is my Holiness...  Take this guacamole, for this is my Grace....  ".   Then you don't get just one biscuit, you get like a dozen in a bowl. 

Looks like we've got the entree sorted.

Now we just got to zhoosh up our fish sandwiches.

• Like 2
On 7/24/2021 at 3:12 AM, Ease the sheet. said:

Looks like we've got the entree sorted.

Now we just got to zhoosh up our fish sandwiches.

I gotta know how that word is pronounced.  Something tells me the first "h" is unecessary.