what's is this indicating on the chart?

Rock 1 fathom or meter below at low.  Kinda wierd they don't do anything symmetrical usually for non manmade stuff but the single rock is.  If that's a plotter sometimes you can zoom in to get more info or it will bring up chart notations for given one you are on.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Rock 1 fathom or meter below at low.  Kinda wierd they don't do anything symmetrical usually for non manmade stuff but the single rock is.  If that's a plotter sometimes you can zoom in to get more info or it will bring up chart notations for given one you are on.

How did you determine that meaning? Is there an official symbol guide?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Borracho said:

How did you determine that meaning? Is there an official symbol guide?

Unofficially, the first time I took my wife sailing on our last boat, verified 100% with keel and refrence to chart, well sort of like that... Its in chart 1 in the rocks part.  As above wierd as they do all symmetrical symbols for man made stuff like well heads pipelines etc and all the other obstruction are squiggly symbols except a single rock.  Was wrong above in first post, numerical value below is the height above at zero.  The brown center shows it as above water.  Chart 1 part K page 50. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Unofficially, the first time I took my wife sailing on our last boat, verified 100% with keel and refrence to chart, well sort of like that... Its in chart 1 in the rocks part.  As above wierd as they do all symmetrical symbols for man made stuff like well heads pipelines etc and all the other obstruction are squiggly symbols except a single rock.  Was wrong above in first post, numerical value below is the height above at zero.  The brown center shows it as above water.  Chart 1 part K page 50. 

Coral wreath?

Time for me to get a new Chart No. 1 booklet.

13 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

not my plotter, someone posted a question on facebook...  submerged rock is about the only symbol i could find here

https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publications/docs/us-chart-1/ChartNo1.pdf

but with a dept of 41 fathoms? at that location, that's one mother set of rocks..

Woods End Light and Herring Cove are in Provincetown, MA,

so next time one of y'all are out there,  please do a keel check..

The circle made of green dots is on a raymarine chartplotter when you select "radar acquire target". It turns solid green when it's able to track the radar target (clouds, boat, etc). I don't know what the red circle is around the green circle. Never seen that one before.

• Like 1
On 6/21/2021 at 9:03 PM, Navig8tor said:

You might find the answer here, is it a NOAA chart?

Chart 1 is all the symbols and abbreviations typically used.

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publications/print-agents.html#us-chart-one

I was going to post that. I looked through it twice and did not find anything resembling this symbol, so I didn't post it. If you found it in chart 1, please let us all know what page it is on to save us from reading the whole document.

2 minutes ago, mckenzie.keith said:

I was going to post that. I looked through it twice and did not find anything resembling this symbol, so I didn't post it. If you found it in chart 1, please let us all know what page it is on to save us from reading the whole document.

Yeah, looked through Chart 1, didn't see anything like that.

1 hour ago, mckenzie.keith said:

Hence the second part of my question are we looking at a NOAA chart,  I had a quick look couldn't find anything either.

• Like 1
On 6/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, longhorn said:

The circle made of green dots is on a raymarine chartplotter when you select "radar acquire target". It turns solid green when it's able to track the radar target (clouds, boat, etc). I don't know what the red circle is around the green circle. Never seen that one before.

This.  I believe the red is its attempt to show a potential collision zone.  Looks like your boat is just off screen and it can jump around as it settles in, even with stationary targets.

It is a Homeland Security Designated Covid Patient Isolation Exclusion Zone.  It was federally designated on May 22, 2020. 

It was the only way they could get Dumpster to shut up when they told him he couldn't confine Covid patients to Guantanamo Island. 

• Like 1
On 6/22/2021 at 4:17 PM, SASSAFRASS said:

Looking at the online version of the chart in the ECDIS section https://msi.nga.mil/api/publications/download?key=16694005/SFH00000/ChartNo1.pdf&type=view the green dots are not part of the official labelling.. I am not familiar with raymarine plotters... and the idea that raymarine puts green dots as a guide is interesting...

The red circles are part of ECDIS .... but usually have some white X in the middle... which may haver been overwritten by the raymarine icon...

On 6/22/2021 at 3:18 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

204742682_4251712284859212_4288243823144982821_n.jpg

That looks a lot like how my chartplotter/MaxSea Timezero shows unresolved ARPA targets.

With the radar running and the overlay off, those things will pop up before getting the "locked" icon.

From Nobeltec's web site...green arrow added by me.If you turn that radar overlay off, you'll just see the ring.

image.png.8d2cbcb069227c21d27f211885731b76.png

From the Timezero Navigator manual:

image.thumb.png.0bdd8a9d10f918759ebf305f00741bf2.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

I have questions about the seagulls, though. You have them too.

"What are the "Pink/Purple Birds/Ducks" on the Chart? The pink/purple birds/ducks indicate different types of marine sanctuaries or estuary area zones/nature reserve areas. These can be environmentally sensitive sea areas or areas with minor restrictions and/or information notices."

• Like 1