Leaving a laser in the water

Can a laser be stored for about a month in the water or will this damage it in some way?

I am trying to be able to go sailing but literally the only storage solution I can find anywhere near my house that doesn't involve packing up the boat and all and putting it on the roof of the car every day is for it to be left in the water tied up to a dock. 

I'm assuming that you are not planning on leaving the mast up.   It is likely to capsize with it up, and the mast will rattle in the step and wear the gel coat if left up.   As long as the mast is down and the rudder and centerboard are removed, it should float and be stable.  Ensure that the dock is really protected, or the Laser will bash against the pilings when motorboats go by.   Check it periodically to ensure it is not taking on any water.   Some boats leak at the bottom of the centerboard trunk, the cockpit bailer fitting, or the rudder gudgeons.   If it is leaking, don't leave it in the water, as the interior of the boat will absorb water and be difficult to dry.   Lastly, some bodies of water have fast marine growth, so you may end up with some heavy scum buildup after a month in the water.  

• Like 3

In the mid-80's I left a fairly new Laser in the water for 3 days.  It created the dreaded "osmosis" gelcoat bubbles during that short period of time.  It was a freshwater lake.  It took them a week to recede after I took the boat out of the water.  If it were me I would not leave one in the water.  Sorry. 

• Like 5

Thanks for all your answers.

2 hours ago, Wavedancer II said:

Can't you pull your boat up on the dock?

Unfortunately that's not an option. There is space but the new port captain is trying to clear all the boats that have been taking up space and I got the usual "If I let you leave your boat here then I would have to let everyone" bs. 

Guess no sailing for me in July... 

55 minutes ago, jasper7427 said:

Thanks for all your answers.

Unfortunately that's not an option. There is space but the new port captain is trying to clear all the boats that have been taking up space and I got the usual "If I let you leave your boat here then I would have to let everyone" bs. 

Guess no sailing for me in July... 

How old is your boat?

I agree, personally I wouldn't leave a half decent boat in the water.

But in the end, boat are for using. If its an old knock around boat then maybe the real issue is how leaky it is and how precious it really is.

• Like 2

Did you have the port captain a bottle of whiskey or a case of good beer before opening the discussion or was your real intention /goal to be told to fuck off? 

• Like 2

18 and in Europe, haven't managed to get my license yet due to covid.

So to be independent and be able to use to boat more than a few times every once an a while I was looking for a solution that didn't involve needing a car every time.

Its ridiculous, the one sailing club in the area only has kayaks...

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jasper7427 said:

18 and in Europe, haven't managed to get my license yet due to covid.

So to be independent and be able to use to boat more than a few times every once an a while I was looking for a solution that didn't involve needing a car every time.

Its ridiculous, the one sailing club in the area only has kayaks...

There's semi floating stuff you can tie to to the dock, so the boat isn't literally on the water.