The "Delta Variant" and unvaccinated people

2 hours ago, The_Real_XYZ said:
2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

No it’s not.  It’s wildly ineffective and not for someone not at risk of serious illness

Like I said, it's not that hard to grasp.  You seem to have trouble though.

He gets that a lot.

8 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Flu is dangerous to a lot of people no doubt.  It’s a major killer.  But not on the scale of COVID.  Which is a good thing because unlike The COVID mRNA vaccines the flu vaccine is not very effective.  I’m certainly not going to wear a mask because I MAY give someone the flu but if I think I’m sick I’ll definitely stay home.  The days of people going to work sick are over.

One would hope. However as US businesses are run, missing a day or so is frowned on.  Many people also don't think of others and the weekly paycheck is very important.

9 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

For new readers: There are several posters here who routinely offer good advice on multiple subjects. Fakenews is not one of them. Be advised.

Can we get, like, a flashing neon banner with that?

- DSK

44 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Before I wrote that I checked the online users. There were 54 or so, just several subscribers, and 40 or so guests. There are noobs out there.  

11 hours ago, benwynn said:

It means they are far less likely to transmit it to others, therefore are protecting others to some degree.

One can choose to not drive drunk to protect themselves, the other occupants of the vehicle as well as others on the road.  The fact that driving sober makes it x times more likely to not have an accident should fucking count for something.   Or maybe with you, it doesn't. 

6 hours ago, random. said:

The 'less likely' to transmit is being used by the airlines as an argument to allow vaccinated people to travel freely, get the cash registers cranking again.  I don't gamble with money and certainly not with my health.

No chances should be taken.  Vaccinated people can still infect others.   I would treat them no differently.

But maybe you play poker machines.

Given my example, I assume you don't drive anywhere.

32 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Before I wrote that I checked the online users. There were 54 or so, just several subscribers, and 40 or so guests. There are noobs out there.  

And a depressing shortage of tit pics.

I guess it's time to bury our noble tradition.......

But FWIW I agree that many posters should have some kind of warning label, guys (and some gals) who consistently posts stuff that's not just wrong but edging into self-harm.... never "don't try this at home, kids!" but you keep expecting that line. Hopefully the noobs will figure it out -before- they pour on the naptha.......

- DSK

Still hoping Clove Hitch comes back with more information on vaccinated people "presenting" covid symptoms and being hospitalized with the new variant.  Not like he has more important things to do than post in an innertubes poo slinging session, like saving lives or something.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bridhb said:

Still hoping Clove Hitch comes back with more information on vaccinated people "presenting" covid symptoms and being hospitalized with the new variant.  Not like he has more important things to do than post in an innertubes poo slinging session, like saving lives or something.

He's likely on a 12 hour shift. One thing the pandemic showed is who are the essential people. Nurses do OK but we know who showed up and are not getting the benefit of the risk they took. I've seen McD's offering 12 and KFC 14 an hour. Fuck places that don't want to pay real wages. I know a lot of you folks are big shots and big tippers and think you're doing good. I also know a bunch of rest and bar owners. All are doing better than some of you imagine. Big tippers are the enabler class for owners to get away with paying $4 an hour, and taking a % of tips. 

Just wait til I'm king.

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

For new readers: There are several posters here who routinely offer good advice on multiple subjects. Fakenews is not one of them. Be advised.

I suggest that anyone who needs to be told that is probably beyond help.

Well, certainly after reading more than two or three of his posts anyway.

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

We need an "Ignored By..." function that lists the number of people who have a given fuckwit on ignore

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

We need an "Ignored By..." function that lists the number of people who have a given fuckwit on ignore

That would be like election fraud.  More people have MikeWof on ignore than there are members on SA!

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

He's likely on a 12 hour shift. One thing the pandemic showed is who are the essential people. Nurses do OK but we know who showed up and are not getting the benefit of the risk they took. I've seen McD's offering 12 and KFC 14 an hour. Fuck places that don't want to pay real wages. I know a lot of you folks are big shots and big tippers and think you're doing good. I also know a bunch of rest and bar owners. All are doing better than some of you imagine. Big tippers are the enabler class for owners to get away with paying $4 an hour, and taking a % of tips. 

Just wait til I'm king.

One benefit of living in a small town, I get to know a lot of people socially and I know which restaurants take a percentage of tips... unfortunately one of them is among my wife's favorites... but I avoid those places. When we go to my wife's fave I hand a tip in cash to our server, which still feels like an alien custom to me but at least I can look them in the eye and thank them.

The tilted playing field in US economics was fully revealed by the huge jump in the uber-wealthy's portion over the last ten years and the last 2 years; wages have started upward a tiny bit though. Maybe if we keep pushing, we can level this fucker out.

- DSK

12 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Folks like him would’ve said “polio vaccine? Don’t need it”

Stupid. Take. I got the Pfizer vaccine the first day I was eligible.  Why?  Because it is 95% effective vs illness and 100% effective against death and also because COVID is way deadlier than the flu.

4 hours ago, bridhb said:

The only hospitalized pts with covid I have seen have not been vaccinated.  Here is screen shot from paid for hospital up to date medical journal.  If too shitty and small I will repost! 

20210625_130630.jpg

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, benwynn said:
1 hour ago, random. said:

If it was a 1:25 chance of injury, no fucking way would I.

This implies that you think the chance of infection from unvaccinated people is 100%. 

It's not.

Depends on the circumstances. Sitting in a a small enclosed space, or in a building with a ventilation system that spreads virus through all cubic in the whole building (which is many or most ventilation systems), with a person who is exhaling virus, for more than 15 minutes... it's pretty close to 100% certain.

1 minute ago, random. said:

I am not implying that at all.  I am pointing out that vaccinated people can still spead the virus, as reduced a chance as that is.

Uh huh. It's a stupid thing to say, as it means that the degree of infectiousness is less than 1/25th that of an unvaccinated person. If you gave the exact same circumstances as above, and you had a 99% chance of catching covid if you were in a phone booth (if there are such things anymore) with an unvaccinated infectious person for 1/2 hour; that means your odds would approach 99%... on a steep curve, ie favoring NOT getting infected.... with that same person only vaccinated, for over 12 hours.

I have the impression that you really don't understand what the numbers you're tossing around actually mean.

- DSK

21 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Depends on the circumstances. Sitting in a a small enclosed space, or in a building with a ventilation system that spreads virus through all cubic in the whole building (which is many or most ventilation systems), with a person who is exhaling virus, for more than 15 minutes... it's pretty close to 100% certain.

I didn't say infected.  I said unvaccinated

2 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

The only hospitalized pts with covid I have seen have not been vaccinated.  Here is screen shot from paid for hospital up to date medical journal.  If too shitty and small I will repost! 

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post as meaning you were seeing vaccinated people hospitalized with the delta variant.  Thanks for the clarification and additional information.

18 hours ago, Fakenews said:

No you don’t!  The flu vaccine is notoriously ineffective often useless against the prevalent strain.  Because it’s so bad even if everyone got it there would be no herd immunity against the flu.  If you are old or immune compromised maybe it’s a good idea.  But for heathy people it’s a complete crapshoot against something that’s only going to make you mildly ill.  

as far as I know I’ve never had the flu.

This advice coming from the douche cunt who ignored social distancing and masking by going to public gyms at the height of the peak and then was surprised when he caught COVID. I wonder how many people he infected in the process before he became symptomatic?  I wonder how many died as a result 1, 2 or 3 degrees of Gaytor down the line as a result of this selfish prick’s behavior and choices??  

We might have our 1st bonafide murderer here in PA. Just saying. 

8 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

This advice coming from the douche cunt who ignored social distancing and masking by going to public gyms at the height of the peak and then was surprised when he caught COVID. I wonder how many people he infected in the process before he became symptomatic?  I wonder how many died as a result 1, 2 or 3 degrees of Gaytor down the line as a result of this selfish prick’s behavior and choices??  

We might have our 1st bonafide murderer here in PA. Just saying. 

What a stupid take.  I was not surprised to catch COVID and I social distanced in every other aspect of my life.  Wore a mask everywhere else I went.  In retrospect it was I good thing I caught COVID.  I’m futureproofed against it.  

BTW is it murder when you drop a 500# bomb on a innocent civilian?  How about when you send a hellfire their way?

Asking for a friend.

44 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think it mostly spreads the same way the flu does, in spit droplets (and coughing sneezing obviously).  When you are close to someone and talking the air is filled with spittle that you breath in.  You suck in spit that has large amounts of the virus inside it.   That's why bars, parties and churches are super spreader events.  Mobs of people packed in close quarters and flapping their gums.  

10 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

I think it mostly spreads the same way the flu does, in spit droplets (and coughing sneezing obviously).  When you are close to someone and talking the air is filled with spittle that you breath in.  You suck in spit that has large amounts of the virus inside it.   That's why bars, parties and churches are super spreader events.  Mobs of people packed in close quarters and flapping their gums.  

It does indeed.

Unfortunately, like the flu, it's impact is not the same on everybody.  Since the beginning of the pandemic young, healthy people survived.  Just as they do with the flu and older people are more likely to suffer and die from complications of COVID (or Flu).

The mRNA vaccine is being found to have some severe side effects when given to younger folks, particularly males, who would presumably survive.  It causes inflammation of the heart.  We are already aware of Rheumatic Heart Disease which has long  term implications.

The political desire to vaccinate EVERYBODY!!! may have some long term impact on individuals.

44592785-9719891-Young_males_were_up_to_seven_times_more_likely_to_report_heart_i-a-55_1624512434980.jpg

1 minute ago, Saorsa said:

It does indeed.

Unfortunately, like the flu, it's impact is not the same on everybody.  Since the beginning of the pandemic young, healthy people survived.  Just as they do with the flu and older people are more likely to suffer and die from complications of COVID (or Flu).

The mRNA vaccine is being found to have some severe side effects when given to younger folks, particularly males, who would presumably survive.  It causes inflammation of the heart.  We are already aware of Rheumatic Heart Disease which has long  term implications.

44592785-9719891-Young_males_were_up_to_seven_times_more_likely_to_report_heart_i-a-55_1624512434980.jpg

You know what really causes myocarditis? COVID....

9 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

The mRNA vaccine is being found to have some severe side effects when given to younger folks, particularly males, who would presumably survive. 

It's giving a lot of people diabetes too, and not the nice type 2 kind either.

21 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Yes and no

1- it's more contagious than flu... a smaller amount of virus entering the body is equally likely to cause the disease

2- it is spread more easily by aerosol, ie the extremely tiny mist or micro-droplets that one normally exhales, regardless of coughing or sneezing (although both of those bring up more moisture -and- spread it further). Virus-carrying aerosol can be found floating in the air up to 1/2 hour after being exhaled.

Aerosol dispersion depends on viscosity and surface tension of the liquid, I had a fair bit of training in aerosolizing fuel back in the way-back. At first I would have thought that the humna respiratory system is a poor producer of aerosol but actually it is very efficient at it, especially when shouting or singing... and even more especially when sneezing which can project droplets 40 ft in still air.

8 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:
17 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

The mRNA vaccine is being found to have some severe side effects when given to younger folks, particularly males, who would presumably survive. 

It's giving a lot of people diabetes too, and not the nice type 2 kind either.

Yes, although IMHO it should always be mentioned that the rate of severe myocarditis is very considerably higher for those same people surviving a covid infection. I can't find any news about the vaccine giving people diabetes, is that what you meant?

- DSK

7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

it is spread more easily by aerosol,

Do you have a source for that?  With spittle you get a large dose all at once, which is far more likely to kill you.  Last I heard they did not know those numbers anyway.

1 minute ago, The_Real_XYZ said:
10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

it is spread more easily by aerosol,

Do you have a source for that?  With spittle you get a large dose all at once, which is far more likely to kill you.  Last I heard they did not know those numbers anyway.

The SARS-2/CoVid19 virus is very small and carried in large numbers by the smallest aerosol particle that we exhale. The virus is also virulently replicated all thru the respiratory tract including the alveoli, so -every-thing you exhale is likely to be loaded with it.

Larger droplets travel further, if given sneezing or coughing velocity; but they also fall rapidly by gravity. Aerosols, defined as liquid masses smaller than what would be formed by air resistance if in free-fall, have to be produced by some physical action but can be carried much further by air currents.

Google spread of covid by ventilation systems. Don't take my word for it.

- DSK

23 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

All those people who caught COVID on the Princess Cruise ship?  They didn’t get it from spittle.

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The SARS-2/CoVid19 virus is very small and carried in large numbers by the smallest aerosol particle that we exhale. The virus is also virulently replicated all thru the respiratory tract including the alveoli, so -every-thing you exhale is likely to be loaded with it.

Larger droplets travel further, if given sneezing or coughing velocity; but they also fall rapidly by gravity. Aerosols, defined as liquid masses smaller than what would be formed by air resistance if in free-fall, have to be produced by some physical action but can be carried much further by air currents.

Google spread of covid by ventilation systems. Don't take my word for it.

- DSK

That's not a source, this is a source.  Aerosol was hype, people were washing all their grocery packaging in sanitizer too.  And the fall of gravity thing is why everyone was standing six feet apart.  You are safe at that distance.  

Ventilation in Buildings | CDC

The risk of spreading SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, through ventilation systems is not clear at this time. Viral RNA has reportedly been found on return air grilles, in return air ducts, and on heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) filters, but detecting viral RNA alone does not imply that the virus was capable of transmitting disease. 

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

What a stupid take.  I was not surprised to catch COVID and I social distanced in every other aspect of my life.  Wore a mask everywhere else I went.  In retrospect it was I good thing I caught COVID.  I’m futureproofed against it.  

BTW is it murder when you drop a 500# bomb on a innocent civilian?  How about when you send a hellfire their way?

Hey you fucking idiot: Do we have to define Whataboutism every goddam day?

19 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

That's not a source, this is a source.  Aerosol was hype, people were washing all their grocery packaging in sanitizer too.  And the fall of gravity thing is why everyone was standing six feet apart.  You are safe at that distance.  

Ventilation in Buildings | CDC

The risk of spreading SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, through ventilation systems is not clear at this time. Viral RNA has reportedly been found on return air grilles, in return air ducts, and on heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) filters, but detecting viral RNA alone does not imply that the virus was capable of transmitting disease. 

Don't know why you cut that paragraph off before you got to this

"One research group reported that the use of a new air-sampling method allowed them to find viable viral particles within a COVID-19 patient’s hospital roomexternal icon with good ventilation, filtration and ultraviolet (UV) disinfection (at distances as far as 16 feet from the patient). However, the concentration of viable virus detected was believed to be too low to cause disease transmission."

Although that's kind of a muddled statement, it's not just concentration but time of exposure that determines risk... low concentration but longer time period can increase the risk to near certainty.

And as FakeNews pointed out, there are a lot of documented cases of people catching Covid thru ventilation systems.

- DSK

I’m futureproofed against it.  

"Future proofed"???  :lol:  That's not how viruses work, dumbass.  

If you really believe that.... Please, Please PLEASE go into a COVID ward in about 6 months or a year and spend some quality time with them.  Lick them on the nose for good measure.  Do coke lines off their hands after they have a good sneeze or cough.  You're immune, right?  What could happen?  

I will laugh and shit on your grave when the G* variant kills you.  

*G for "gaytor" variant.  

14 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

I’ll allow that I could be infected again (very unlikely!). But there’s plenty of literature out there to that effect that people who are vaccinated and recovered from COVID are of very very very slim risk of getting seriously ill from a reinfection.  In fact if boosters are recommended it will almost certainly not be recommended for people in that group.

You know what really causes myocarditis? COVID....

My cite was there from the CDC.  Where's yours? Unless of course your ellipsis  replaced vaccine which would be obfuscation and deception.

I’ll allow that I could be infected again (very unlikely!). But there’s plenty of literature out there to that effect that people who are vaccinated and recovered from COVID are of very very very slim risk of getting seriously ill from a reinfection.  In fact if boosters are recommended it will almost certainly not be recommended for people in that group.

There should be an Amber-alert type warning when you post.  Bullshit incoming! Bullshit incoming!

Provide citations for your 'plenty of literature' or STFU!  Truth is, we don't have our arms totally around this one. You are so full of shit.  A credible journal with peer-reviewed articles?  For those, it's >6months from the time you submit your article to the time it might be published, and that would be reasonably fast.  

UF may not be as good as my UM, but ffs, it's better than you.

3 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

There should be an Amber-alert type warning when you post.  Bullshit incoming! Bullshit incoming!

Provide citations for your 'plenty of literature' or STFU!  Truth is, we don't have our arms totally around this one. You are so full of shit.  A credible journal with peer-reviewed articles?  For those, it's >6months from the time you submit your article to the time it might be published, and that would be reasonably fast.  

I can tell you for a verifiable fact that UF (University of Florida) health care sucks major moose cock.

I've lived all over the world, and in many US states, and I have never, ever experienced more incompetent people than I have at UFH.

29 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

You should listen to me I’m invariably correct.  Like back in Feb when I told you about studies out of Israel showing that vaccinated people didn’t transmit the virus and there was no need for them to wear a mask.

I also said we were beginning to turn the corner on the pandemic...

1 minute ago, Fakenews said:

You should listen to me I’m invariably correct.  Like back in Feb when I told you about studies out of Israel showing that vaccinated people didn’t transmit the virus and there was no need for them to wear a mask.

Cite a real source.  Your comments hold the same value as toilet paper after the first swipe.

Just now, Cal20sailor said:

Cite a real source.  Your comments hold the same value as toilet paper after the first swipe.

I’m watching the lightning game.  Put your UM degree to use and find them yourself.  They’re out there.

17 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

I’m watching the lightning game.  Put your UM degree to use and find them yourself.  They’re out there.

I have the decoder ring, you couldn't find any.  Your opinion or things you hear when biting a pillow don't count for much.  Wasn't your degree in business?

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

I also said we were beginning to turn the corner on the pandemic...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/covid-19-delta-infecting-vaccinated-in-israel_n_60d6661ce4b066ff5aba8faa

"Spurred by the new information, the Israeli government has now reimposed (sic) an indoor mask mandate and quickly expanded its vaccination program to include children ages 12 to 15."

7 hours ago, Saorsa said:

It does indeed.

The political desire to vaccinate EVERYBODY!!! may have some long term impact on individuals.

Yeah. And Covid can cause their dick to stay soft, forever. 

From AP:

“Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 853,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 0.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.”

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Burning Man said:

If you really believe that.... Please, Please PLEASE go into a COVID ward in about 6 months or a year and spend some quality time with them.  Lick them on the nose for good measure.  Do coke lines off their hands after they have a good sneeze or cough.  You're immune, right?  What could happen?  

I will laugh and shit on your grave when the G* variant kills you.  

*G for "gaytor" variant.  

He bragged about going maskless in the gym.  My reasonable take is such actions should be criminal.  Twubbling that he cares so little for others.

Why do you persist with the "Gaytor" shit?  Using "gay" as an insult is juvenile and beneath you.

We all know who he is, even if he lacks the balls to admit it.

17 hours ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Coughing and sneezing produce aerosols.  That''s why masks are desirable.  Not so much on the input side but to control the production side of sneezes and coughs.  Those large droplets are stopped by the masks.

From Wiki

An aerosol is a suspension of fine solid particles or liquid droplets in air or another gas.[1] Aerosols can be natural or anthropogenic. Examples of natural aerosols are fog or mist, dust, forest exudates and geyser steam. Examples of anthropogenic aerosols are particulate air pollutants and smoke.[1] The liquid or solid particles have diameters typically less than 1 μm; larger particles with a significant settling speed make the mixture a suspension, but the distinction is not clear-cut. In general conversation, aerosol usually refers to an aerosol spray that delivers a consumer product from a can or similar container. Other technological applications of aerosols include dispersal of pesticides, medical treatment of respiratory illnesses, and combustion technology.[2] Diseases can also spread by means of small droplets in the breath, also called aerosols (or sometimes bioaerosols).[3]

10 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Yeah. And Covid can cause their dick to stay soft, forever. 

Nah, rigor mortis eventually relaxes as the rot sets in.

Those are the CDC numbers.  Are you now CDC skeptic?

1 hour ago, phillysailor said:

From AP:

“Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 853,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 0.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.”

Yes, and those are also the people in the high risk group all along.

Last numbers I saw we had about 33 million cases and 600 thousand deaths.  A fatality rate slightly less than 2%.

We don't have a way to measure exposure with any degree of precision but 33 million cases out of a population of about 330 million is about an 10 percent infection rate.

Interesting study here

http://news.rice.edu/2020/10/05/musicians-may-need-more-than-social-distancing-to-stay-safe-on-stage-2/

Basically, singing and playing a wind instrument can fill the air with virus-laden aerosols, yeah we already knew that... how much? Can it be made safe?

They also get into ventilation.... "6 room exchanges per hour" but thing is, if you're getting air from another room that has infected people exhaling virus, you're no safer.... if the ventilation system just functions to stir the air up and keep aerosols aloft longer, you're no safer... the vent system has to remove pathogens and has to ensure that air coming into the room is safe.

These are background assumptions that can lead to disastrous results if not followed thru

Difficult with large entertainment venues.

- DSK

29 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

They also get into ventilation.... "6 room exchanges per hour" but thing is, if you're getting air from another room that has infected people exhaling virus, you're no safer.... if the ventilation system just functions to stir the air up and keep aerosols aloft longer, you're no safer... the vent system has to remove pathogens and has to ensure that air coming into the room is safe.

JFC, you're a moran!  Do you really think HVAC ventilation systems work by moving one room's air to the other room and back???  They are not exchanging rooms, you fucking retard...... they are exchanging the current room's air with fresh air from "outside".

This forum definitely needs a facepalm emoji, but in the meantime

image.png.46707809037ecf608e7ce65c80f7ee97.png

2 hours ago, phillysailor said:

From AP:

So it's not perfect?

Then the standard right wing attitude is "do nothing".

19 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

JFC, you're a moran!  Do you really think HVAC ventilation systems work by moving one room's air to the other room and back???  They are not exchanging rooms, you fucking retard...... they are exchanging the current room's air with fresh air from "outside".

image.png.46707809037ecf608e7ce65c80f7ee97.png

Yeah sure

Wanna bet? That HVAC system built by the low bidder didn't cut any corners, guaranteed

- DSK

I think someone is "outside" the environment.  Why do they bother with filters on the returns? Cleaning up the environment?

I have no idea how to respond to this? the double secret implied facepalm? Your vehicle gives you the option to recirc or outside air, airplanes do a combo,  help a brother out and find some residential/commercial systems that do this.  It would be like a breath of fresh air here. 

When I mock FN and BM somehow I just feel dirty.

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Jeffski, first off, HVAC systems move air around; so HVAC systems move air borne viruses around. * More to the point, large central air HVAC systems tend to recirculate (some) air.

Many HVAC systems recirculate some air to save energy, and mix in some outdoor air ...

https://facilities.ucdavis.edu/ventilation-filtration

* They even moved Legionairres Disease, which is a bacteria, around. It was found in the water cooling towers and transported as aerosols. Bacteria weigh about 100M times more than viruses plus or minus a few orders of magnitude.

7 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Jeffski, first off, HVAC systems move air around; so HVAC systems move air borne viruses around. * More to the point, large central air HVAC systems tend to recirculate (some) air.

Many HVAC systems recirculate some air to save energy, and mix in some outdoor air based on the code requirements for the space type and its designed occupancy (a typical ventilation rate is 15 cubic feet per minute of outdoor air, per person.)

https://facilities.ucdavis.edu/ventilation-filtration

* They even moved Legionairres Disease, which is a bacteria, around. It was found in the water cooling towers and transported as aerosols.

Yes, Legionnairs is a very nasty bug that can breed in the cooling towers ... my understanding is that, given the right circumstances, it can breed explosively in puddles in HVAV systems... a virus cannot do that, by the nature of viruses

- DSK

31 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yes, Legionnairs is a very nasty bug that can breed in the cooling towers ... my understanding is that, given the right circumstances, it can breed explosively in puddles in HVAV systems... a virus cannot do that, by the nature of viruses

- DSK

Yes, viruses can't do that. They need a host to replicate. The human body has a lot of host potential. A puddle, not so much. Technically, viruses aren't even alive. They do not metabolize energy. Viruses just invade a host, hijack it and replicate.

• Like 1