Soft boat bucket

My soft semi rigid ancient 1 1/2 gallon boat bucket finally kicked (wait for it!) the bucket.  

Anyway, it was great for things like washing down the decks with salt water (like when fresh water was not allowed for that particular activity) - it didn’t mark the hull if it bumped the paint. I just spent a portion of my life looking for another one, and can’t seem to get the right question into the Internet tubes to find a replacement.  The old one was black, seemed to be made of strands of something held together by soft plastic?  Rubber?  No name on it.  Didn’t look like canvas. Wasn’t affected by cold temperatures.

Any ideas where I can find another bucket like it?  

4 hours ago, GCADDY said:

It’s remarkable how little info is available on that bucket other than a pic- does it stand up by itself?

But it’s a cool direction to take looking for lightweight stuff for planing boat or light multihull cruising/racing- for example 

https://www.nrs.com/product/71200.02/nrs-big-basin-water-container?utm_campaign=shop_comp&utm_source=google&utm_medium=buy_now&utm_term=goog_product_71200.02&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-P-Kx4Cz8QIVMwPnCh3LWwdhEAQYAyABEgLZvfD_BwE

6 minutes ago, jamhass said:

Got mine from a sailmaker.  He makes nice classic ones from sail off-cuts and line.  Perfect.

Can you leave them standing on the deck with water in them? I have some old sails & a local canvas guy (ex sailmaker)-  time to find out how waterproof certain sail cloth might be?  Add a bit of foam for stiffness…. 

No, it (at least mine) doesn't stand by itself.  It does, however, conveniently squash to near nothing for stowage.  It is plenty waterproof for sloshing water on the deck etc etc.  It is also plenty strong enough to dip while underway, and the bail doesn't want to fail the way plastic buckets do. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Amati said:

Can you leave them standing on the deck with water in them? I have some old sails & a local canvas guy (ex sailmaker)-  time to find out how waterproof certain sail cloth might be?  Add a bit of foam for stiffness…. 

My ancient canvas bucket gave up a while ago. Have had no luck finding a replacement. Thanks for the link above. The canvas one, cotton, stood up just fine so long as nothing disturbed it. A rocking boat or trying to do dishes in it would fail. But it had a stiff (metal?) rim and could be hung on anything to prevent that. That Granite Gear bucket above seems to not have a stiff rim (???) big design flaw as it will be tough to fill with a tether from the rail. Anything cotton on a boat is a mistake. It was always damp. Spoiled whatever it was stored next to.

33 minutes ago, Borracho said:

My ancient canvas bucket gave up a while ago. Have had no luck finding a replacement. Thanks for the link above. The canvas one, cotton, stood up just fine so long as nothing disturbed it. A rocking boat or trying to do dishes in it would fail. But it had a stiff (metal?) rim and could be hung on anything to prevent that. That Granite Gear bucket above seems to not have a stiff rim (???) big design flaw as it will be tough to fill with a tether from the rail. Anything cotton on a boat is a mistake. It was always damp. Spoiled whatever it was stored next to.

My last one had a stiff rim, and it was easy and accurate to fill whilst dangling from the deck.  I’ll report when I get the new one- the Duroflex feed bucket.  

The perfect soft bucket would be made of stiff polyester canvas. It does not have to be especially waterproof. Specifically, it should not have that horrid failure-prone elastomer waterproofing sometimes used inside backpacks and such. The rim should be some virtually indestructible plastic ring. Nylon?  My greatly-missed canvas bucket had a stainless cable butt-crimped into a circle.  Good except for the slow corrosion inside the always damp cotton.

Unlikely to be found as a commercial product in this modern world.

I think that it would be possible to make one out of a roll-up dry bag.  They come in pretty big sizes and have a round shape on the bottom.  You could glue in a ring on the mouth of the bag.  There are quite a few plastic hoops online or you could make something out of pex tubing to the diameter that you wanted.  The dry bags are  made out of a PVC material so I wonder of the glue that you use on PVC inflatables could be used to glue down a flap that was folded over the ring?  The bag would be waterproof an not absorb moisture.

• Like 1

@Amati I have a nice silicone collapsible bucket that I got from the Wooden Boat Store, but I don't see it there any more. Try Googling "collapsible bucket." You will see tons.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...