What is the 'current' X-34?

When I saw the X5.6 today, it became clear to me how much X have grown into what was once Baltic / Swan territory. And like them, they have outgrown their former, smaller range of X-99, X-34, XC-35 etc. The smallest they have in store is a 40ft / 12 m.

The same applies to almost all larger yards - especially if you look at what was once the bottom end of the cruiser / racer market:

Not so long ago, we had (then) new designs like the

X-34 (2007 design), Dehler 32 (2010), First 30JK (2011), Elan 310 (2009), Hallberg-Rassy 310 (2010) Salona 33 (2013), FinnFlyer 33 (pic!) and Arcona 340 (both 2012ish), HP 1030 (2007).

Finnflyer_34_GT.jpg

So, what happened? There is quite a number of smaller performance to high-performance boats (First 27 etc), and daysailers move into that size range (Saffier 33). And of course, all yards offer much larger ones, often starting their range around 35'-37'.

Given the rise of 2-handed races, I think that there is currently a gap for a ca. 33' ft design that is appealing to family crews, couple sailing and 2H-racing, yet not as 'extreme' like the JPK1080 or the Dehler 30OD.

A modern X-34/ X-99?

The only really recent design in that 31' to 33/34' range is the J/99, and even that is at the top of the range.

What am I missing? What would you wish to see?

• Downvote 1
  • Matagi changed the title to What is the 'current' X-34?

Sunfast 3300. Probably more technical than the J/99, but possibly more comfortable to actually sail than the GS34.

In the US at least, Gen-X is in its '40s, the baby boomers are retiring, and the millennials are approaching their '40s. Gen-X is a small generation, and after MTV they stopped making stuff to sell us. The millennial generation is big, but will they want to go sailing?

1 hour ago, apophenia said:

Sunfast 3300. Probably more technical than the J/99, but possibly more comfortable to actually sail than the GS34.

In the US at least, Gen-X is in its '40s, the baby boomers are retiring, and the millennials are approaching their '40s. Gen-X is a small generation, and after MTV they stopped making stuff to sell us. The millennial generation is big, but will they want to go sailing?

They may want to go sailing with a few of us Gen Xers.

Most of us can still tell funny jokes and be an interesting person to sit next to on the rail.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Matagi said:

<snip>

What am I missing?

<snip>

Italia 9.98? 

A few ORC world titles, enough furniture options to take the family out on holiday. 

Arcona just updated the 340 to the 345, no idea on the details. 

It’s a tough length to put on cruising weight and not have it show  

The Pogo 36 is too much fun so gets beaten with the rating sticks. 

• Like 1

I think the Grand Soleil 34 fits this bill a bit better than the Sun Fast 3300.

The SF is purely racing-themed, no way I could sell my family an extended holiday on that...

The Italia is another good example. I was surprised to see that it is also a six year old design by now, very ORC oriented. Interesting: almost 3 feet more in LWL than the X-34, but 800 kg lighter. It even beats the X-35 on SA/D, getting into the 26 figures. Much power there. Too much for two?

I think this would be a good compromise between the very modern looking GS and somewhat more traditional styles, the DIVA 34 SC. Much less known, but good  quality, got very good reviews, also an SA/D of 25

Archambault going tits up took away one player from this market. I wonder why more builders don't go with the geared tiller arrangement such as on the Rustler 33?