‘The water is coming’: Florida Keys faces stark reality as seas rise

Long famed for its spectacular fishing, sprawling coral reefs and literary residents such as Ernest Hemingway, the Florida Keys is now acknowledging a previously unthinkable reality: it faces being overwhelmed by the rising seas and not every home can be saved.

Following a grueling seven-hour public meeting on Monday, held in the appropriately named city of Marathon, officials agreed to push ahead with a plan to elevate streets throughout the Keys to keep them from perpetual flooding, while admitting they do not have the money to do so.

“The water is coming and we can’t stop it,” said Michelle Coldiron, mayor of Monroe county, which encompasses the Keys. “Some homes will have to be elevated, some will have to be bought out. It’s very difficult to have these conversations with homeowners, because this is where they live. It can get very emotional.”

Once people are unable to secure mortgages and insurance for soaked homes, the Keys will cease to be a livable place long before it’s fully underwater, according to Harold Wanless, a geographer at the University of Miami. “People don’t have a concept of what sea level rise will do to them. They just can’t conceive it,” he said.

“The roads are shot, they’re full of cracks, the water is permeating up,” said Kimberly Sikora, who lives in a vulnerable neighborhood of Key Largo called Stillwright Point that is still awaiting a full road elevation proposal. “I’m just looking for some kind of relief.”

Another resident, Robert Schaller of Twin Lakes, an area further along in the planning process, muttered that he “should’ve done my due diligence” when buying his house last year. “I literally stand on my balcony and watch the water come up through my street,” he said. “It’s coming up right through the pavement.”

40 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

They'll be fine - climate change is a lefty hoax.

That guy who bought his condo a year ago talking about standing on his balcony and seeing water coming up through the pavement will be a mantra stated over and over again. 

And now with over-priced homes coming off the shelves like it's Black Friday...  It's nuts what people are paying for homes here.  All to soon become the new Atlantis.

8 hours ago, Jules said:

That guy who bought his condo a year ago talking about standing on his balcony and seeing water coming up through the pavement will be a mantra stated over and over again. 

And now with over-priced homes coming off the shelves like it's Black Friday...  It's nuts what people are paying for homes here.  All to soon become the new Atlantis.

“Some homes will have to be elevated, some will have to be bought out.

just fucking why?  don't think taxpayers money should be used to bail out the stupid..  it pisses me off they give people who build homes on beaches  insurance / bailouts to rebuild after they've been wiped out...    want to build on a beach? fine, we just ain't going to insure you...

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

just fucking why?  don't think taxpayers money should be used to bail out the stupid..  it pisses me off they give people who build homes on beaches  insurance / bailouts to rebuild after they've been wiped out...    want to build on a beach? fine, we just ain't going to insure you...

I live on a sandbar on the atlantic coast and i agree wholeheartedly.  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I'm with you. I remember helping to fill and stack sandbags on the beach in Newport Beach back in the 70s. The stormsurge had eroded the beach and the town was trying to save the concrete boardwalk. The homeowners just on the other side of the boardwalk were having cocktails on the patio watching.

"Don't worry, if we lose the house it'll be their fault and we'll just sue."

20 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I agree 1mil%. Humans are so short sighted that they cannot learn from the past and make a better future. We are doomed by the stupidity of the leaders of all countries and beliefs and the idiots who elect them.  Power and Money corrupt all.

After all the 2012 bs settled down and you really look at the Mayan Long count, it is a signal that we are entering the 5th age / era of the Human race. So what happened with the other 4? Didn't we learn anything about building in dangerous and changing areas??

From what I read the first 4 ages or eras lasted about 5 million years. which means the human race has experienced and partially lived through 12.5 of our Solar system and Earth cycles of 400K years. And only .2 % of the galactic cycle, which means we are fucked because no one knows anything. Nasa is finding new Near Earth Objects that are coming from outside the solar system all the time, and no one seems to care.

• Like 1

No, The Wad is correct - the human race has made no progress in the time it has been around.

If you need evidence, look at the crowd at a Trump rally.

57 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

I agree 1mil%. Humans are so short sighted that they cannot learn from the past and make a better future. We are doomed by the stupidity of the leaders of all countries and beliefs and the idiots who elect them.  Power and Money corrupt all.

After all the 2012 bs settled down and you really look at the Mayan Long count, it is a signal that we are entering the 5th age / era of the Human race. So what happened with the other 4? Didn't we learn anything about building in dangerous and changing areas??

From what I read the first 4 ages or eras lasted about 5 million years. which means the human race has experienced and partially lived through 12.5 of our Solar system and Earth cycles of 400K years. And only .2 % of the galactic cycle, which means we are fucked because no one knows anything. Nasa is finding new Near Earth Objects that are coming from outside the solar system all the time, and no one seems to care.

and just what did these humans look like 5 million years ago

even 400K years ago

even if ya ain't talkin BC that's sum pretty slow evolution considering how little humans have evolved

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Welcome to the Twilight Zone ... 

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No, The Wad is correct - the human race has made no progress in the time it has been around.

If you need evidence, look at the crowd at a Trump rally.

4 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

and just what did these humans look like 5 million years ago

even 400K years ago

even if ya ain't talkin BC that's sum pretty slow evolution considering how little humans have evolved

you 3 are perfect evidence of why the human race has no future.

6 hours ago, Al Paca said:

I disagree. We don’t eat our young anymore. 

There are many that should, for the greater good of humanity and chickens alike.  

8 hours ago, Al Paca said:

overall, it's worse, we feed on the planet instead.

17 hours ago, Willin' said:

I'm with you. I remember helping to fill and stack sandbags on the beach in Newport Beach back in the 70s. The stormsurge had eroded the beach and the town was trying to save the concrete boardwalk. The homeowners just on the other side of the boardwalk were having cocktails on the patio watching.

"Don't worry, if we lose the house it'll be their fault and we'll just sue."

Add in Seal Beach as well.....

3 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Add in Seal Beach as well.....

14 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

fter all the 2012 bs settled down and you really look at the Mayan Long count, it is a signal that we are entering the 5th age / era of the Human race. So what happened with the other 4? Didn't we learn anything about building in dangerous and changing areas??

I want to know about those fucking pyramids, Wad. Give it up.

• Like 3

I know Wad thinks he has a point here but it read like gibberish. Try it in English, Wad, with spaces and periods. Or try Snaggalese. We have an expert on hand.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I know Wad thinks he has a point here but it read like gibberish. 

You our blammeng the wrongue side of equassione.  You neede watchw moire "Anchient Allienes", Giorgioe wille explaine it foire you.                         :)

18 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

You our blammeng the wrongue side of equassione.  You neede watchw moire "Anchient Allienes", Giorgioe wille explaine it foire you.                         :)

That's precisely what I thought he was talking about. Thaks. No need no mo wad.

Dad worked for the US Army Corps of Engineers (prior to working on Capitol Hill) and he explained the folly being employed by places like Ocean City, MD (and loads of locations along the Atlantic coast) in "beach nourishment/replenishment" projects. 

Billions are spent to replace sand washed away in a natural cycle.  They are barrier islands.  Their very nature is to shift/move/migrate.  But, we have expensive residences built on these shifting sands, and we gotta protect them.

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

But, we have expensive residences built on these shifting sands, and we gotta protect them.

Did you forget the purple font? If not when will that ship sail BD? I'm OK with an insurance bailout once. It kinda looks like the cost of rebuilding expensive waterfront homes falls on the backs of those who can't afford to live there anyway. 

But over and over? 

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Did you forget the purple font? If not when will that ship sail BD? I'm OK with an insurance bailout once. It kinda looks like the cost of rebuilding expensive waterfront homes falls on the backs of those who can't afford to live there anyway. 

But over and over? 

Same as it ever was, and ever shall be!!  Privatize the profits, and socialize the losses.  The best people in the GOP will ensure that it never changes.

• Like 1
On 6/25/2021 at 7:20 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I think the buy out would be an eminate domain  type of situation.   To raise the roads. They need more land. And to get more land they’d need to buy properties 

i don’t think they’d be buying out homes  just because people are stupid,   But it is florida...

19 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Was there a memo about that? I’d hate to think I was out of compliance…

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

I think the buy out would be an eminate domain  type of situation.

You mean imminent doomain?

• Like 1
On 6/25/2021 at 7:20 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Beaches for at least 50 miles in this area are in a constant state of "renourishment".  There is always a dredge and pipeline out there along the coast it seems.  Public money pays for it but no public access for a lot of that length.

2 hours ago, Jules said:

Correct.   Mea culpa.  Eminate sounded correct in my head.  Too much wind, sun and fun yesterday.  Fried a few brain cells I guess.  

17 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Correct.   Mea culpa.  Eminate sounded correct in my head.  Too much wind, sun and fun yesterday.  Fried a few brain cells I guess.  

It was probably worth it!

26 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:
2 hours ago, Jules said:

It's "eminent domain".

1 hour ago, burndoc said:

I've been waiting for years for New Jersey to sink into the Atlantic

Some parttes our worthe saveng.......  I licke the Princeton aria..............                 :)

58 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Some parttes our worthe saveng.......  I licke the Princeton aria..............                 :)

I think Princeton will be okay. Northern has limestone base. South is just sand and mud, a barrier island for Philadelphia

• Like 1

RiskFootprint provides assessments for private homeowners and business developments that includes looking at threats from sea level rise, king tides — so-called “sunny day” flooding — and storm surge.  

“Even if when the building was built in 1981 the foundation was dry most of the time, with sea level rise pushing groundwater up to the surface, the foundation could be wet enough long enough to soften the concrete,” Slap said. “Many of these buildings with underground parking have sump pumps running and that means the foundation is in the water.”

A woman was talking to her husband , from the 4th floor and said the pool had disappeared, 

sounds like a sink hole to me?

On 6/25/2021 at 7:25 AM, Jules said:

‘The water is coming’: Florida Keys faces stark reality as seas rise

Long famed for its spectacular fishing, sprawling coral reefs and literary residents such as Ernest Hemingway, the Florida Keys is now acknowledging a previously unthinkable reality: it faces being overwhelmed by the rising seas and not every home can be saved.

EH's house ist 16 ft aboive sea-levelle, hese OK foire a fiew yeares..............                       :)

41 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

RiskFootprint provides assessments for private homeowners and business developments that includes looking at threats from sea level rise, king tides — so-called “sunny day” flooding — and storm surge.  

“Even if when the building was built in 1981 the foundation was dry most of the time, with sea level rise pushing groundwater up to the surface, the foundation could be wet enough long enough to soften the concrete,” Slap said. “Many of these buildings with underground parking have sump pumps running and that means the foundation is in the water.”

A woman was talking to her husband , from the 4th floor and said the pool had disappeared, 

I think you posted in the wrong thread

9 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Not necessarily; the thing is that even if the water that is percolating starts out fresh, it becomes saline, thus accelerating the damage to the structure. Same sort of shit that killed the Miami condo.

9 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

I think you posted in the wrong thread

I thought of a couple other threads to place this, but I think the point of bye bye Florida, as the oceans rise and more and more expensive condo' fall in the ocean , where are people going to live google rising tides in miami and there's 100's+ articles about the rising see level which could displace almost 1 million people in the next decade,

South Florida's Rising Seas - Sea Level Rise Documentary - YouTube

The sea at the southern end of the Florida Peninsula has risen a foot since the 1900s, and almost 5 inches since 1993. The ocean reclaims chunks of land in the fall and spring during so called “sunny day” floods, which have become four times more common today than 15 years ago. Some scientists say that another 6 inches of sea level rise could very well arrive by 2030, and infrastructure planners are bracing for 2 feet by 2060. Five to 6 feet of sea level rise by 2100 is likely, and likely catastrophic: An inundation of this magnitude would physically displace some 800,000 residents of Miami-Dade County — nearly a third of the current population — and render a large portion of the city uninhabitable.

3 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

Iwhere are people going to live google rising tides in miami and there's 100's+ articles about the rising see level which could displace almost 1 million people in the next decade,

Plenty of space in central florida, especially just north and south of orlando.  Although the richie rich types in south floirda  may not care too much for the folks who occupy the center of the state..  :)

Although Ocalla is Horse country,  so maybe build a few more polo fields....  If you build it they will come...

• Like 1

Hopefully we aren’t throwing much infrastructure money away on this doomed city.   We might as well earmark sponges.

Just now, Lark said:

Hopefully we aren’t throwing much infrastructure money away on this doomed city.   We might as well earmark sponges.

Then neede devize a systeme to determine if sittes 'sponge worthey'                                              :)

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
16 hours ago, Jules said:

You mean eminent doomain?

Is the doom imminent, or is it emanating?

There is a slight difference, although it could be both now that I think about it

- DSK

• Like 1
Just now, Steam Flyer said:
34 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
16 hours ago, Jules said:

You mean eminent doomain?

Is the doom imminent, or is it emanating?

There is a slight difference, although it could be both now that I think about it

I thick some wit wase loste in teh transatione...............                            :)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Lark said:

Miami’s sea level rise bill is $4 billion by 2060. It won’t keep every neighborhood dry.

Carrand 40102 8.75" x 4.75" x 3" Giant Bone Sponge 

Price: $3.98 

so that equals a Billion sponges

2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Plenty of space in central florida, especially just north and south of orlando.  Although the richie rich types in south floirda  may not care too much for the folks who occupy the center of the state..  :)

Although Ocalla is Horse country,  so maybe build a few more polo fields....  If you build it they will come...

I'd go for Sugarloaf Mountain. 245' above sea level. Ya still cannot see Orlando from there which is a good thing.

800px-SugarloafMountain_Panorama.jpg

There is a higher spot but then you're really in AL.

6 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I'd go for Sugarloaf Mountain. 245' above sea level. Ya still cannot see Orlando from there which is a good thing.

800px-SugarloafMountain_Panorama.jpg

There is a higher spot but then you're really in AL.

How in the hell can something be called a mountain if it's only 245' above sea level?  

Clearly a case of making a mountain out of a molehill.

3 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

build water polo fields..... 

3 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

I thought of a couple other threads to place this, but I think the point of bye bye Florida, as the oceans rise and more and more expensive condo' fall in the ocean , where are people going to live google rising tides in miami and there's 100's+ articles about the rising see level which could displace almost 1 million people in the next decade,

South Florida's Rising Seas - Sea Level Rise Documentary - YouTube

The sea at the southern end of the Florida Peninsula has risen a foot since the 1900s, and almost 5 inches since 1993. The ocean reclaims chunks of land in the fall and spring during so called “sunny day” floods, which have become four times more common today than 15 years ago. Some scientists say that another 6 inches of sea level rise could very well arrive by 2030, and infrastructure planners are bracing for 2 feet by 2060. Five to 6 feet of sea level rise by 2100 is likely, and likely catastrophic: An inundation of this magnitude would physically displace some 800,000 residents of Miami-Dade County — nearly a third of the current population — and render a large portion of the city uninhabitable.

is the sea rising or the land sinking? 

3 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:
3 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

build water polo fields..... 

Thast the kinde thickeng we neede...........                  U.S. Poestalle deliverey via boatte, doubelles as a watere taxi.........                                        :)

4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thast the kinde thickeng we neede...........                  U.S. Poestalle deliverey via boatte, doubelles as a watere taxi.........                                        :)

11 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

We got that covered for about a hundred years down here in Magnolia Springs AL. The dollhouse mailbox on the end of the dock at the end of this video is at an old waterskiing buddies house. 

26 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

is the sea rising or the land sinking? 

with all the concrete they keep pouring , I'll go with land sinking at least in southeast fl.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well personally, I think they should dig a really deep trench on the Ga / AL  border and let the whole state sink into the ocean...

That's pretty funny coming from a guy that lives in Texas!   

On 6/27/2021 at 11:05 AM, Blue Crab said:

But over and over? 

I figured it was so obvious the sarcastic font would've been overkill.

I heard, though I cannot verify, some of the money you can get for rebuilding is contingent on doing so in a way that minimizes a subsequent claim for the same type of damage.  As in elevating the home in a flood plain, building out of fire retardant/fireproof materials where wildfires occur, etc.

If I was misled, that should certainly be required for any assistance.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

I figured it was so obvious the sarcastic font would've been overkill.

What's so obvious is how easy this problem is to solve.  Get the Jews to switch their space lasers to force field mode and force the seabed from the shallow areas to under the land mass.  Florida goes up a few meters and all that shallow water around the state becomes great sailing waters. 

Easy-peasy.  

Then we can bring Comanche into Charlotte Harbor to challenge the H20s to the duel of the century.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well personally, I think they should dig a really deep trench on the Ga / AL  border and let the whole state sink into the ocean...

well... Sarasota doesn't suck so much... maybe lift it up and drop it on Myrtle Beach or something and cover that mess up... 

20 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:
23 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well... Sarasota doesn't suck so much... maybe lift it up and drop it on Myrtle Beach or something and cover that mess up... 

Just excavate out a bay in the center of the state.  That will eliminate the bulk of the intellectually incapacitated.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Jules said:

Just excavate out a bay in the center of the state.  That will eliminate the bulk of the intellectually incapacitated.

gotta keep Haulover as the entrance to it though.. those videos are epic. 

This could be a solution to the high cost of Marina space in CA as well .. turn the excavation into a giant marina. Those displaced Californicators can bring their boats to FL and enjoy a real hurricane from time to time without the fear of earthquakes.. although that much excavation is bound to trigger something, but it's FL so who cares right? 

They'll have oranges.. maybe if they don't freeze in the winter... 

4 hours ago, Jules said:

No shit - what would possess someone to move to a swamp?

10 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i dunno, a lot of people like to live in Wash DC SOUTH FLORIDA!!

FIFY M8! I wouldn't move to Florida for a million dollars.  

Well, maybe if I could come back to CT for 6 months minus one day....

On 6/28/2021 at 11:55 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Actually, that was planned just south of Gainesville.  Parts of the trench were constructed before the project was abandoned.  Guess the north Florida farm land is too valuable. and was to stay with the rest of the country.  The property for the deep trench is now the Cross Florida Greenway and has pretty decent "mountain" bike trails located in some old limestone quarries so there is some actual terrain.  "Santo" is the main riding area.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No shit - what would possess someone to move to a swamp?

Swamps are pretty neat.  I grew up in South Florida hanging around in them.  I live on a 60 year old borrow pit pond outside of urbania, so it is pretty mature. I created my own little cypress swamp as they were always beautiful to me.  It gets full of all sorts of critters.

• Like 4

Yeah... most of them nasty, creepy and/or deadly.

Swamps are like a wet version of Australia.

does FL have Raccoons ?

the food chain there sounds wider spread than tall

if not

anyone in FL want some ?

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:

does FL have Raccoons ?

the food chain there sounds wider spread than tall

if not

anyone in FL want some ?

Florida is has many lovable, mischievous raccoons who are only slightly less fascinating than the neighborhood indoor/outdoor cats.

They generally coexist though some raccoons can be a bit of a bully.

11 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Florida is has many lovable, mischievous raccoons who are only slightly less fascinating than the neighborhood indoor/outdoor cats.

They generally coexist though some raccoons can be a bit of a bully.

Years ago , my daughters cat chased a racoon of our patio, it was the cats turf, "no trespassing"

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Yeah... most of them nasty, creepy and/or deadly.

Swamps are like a wet version of Australia.

Nah, snake birds, king fishers, pilated woodpeckers, water and land turtles, lots of fish and mammals.  Of course, some you have to watch out for:  

1478635215_snake9-22-19.jpg

4 hours ago, bridhb said:

Nah, snake birds, king fishers, pilated woodpeckers, water and land turtles, lots of fish and mammals.  Of course, some you have to watch out for:  

1478635215_snake9-22-19.jpg

I would see that, except our lawn is currently about 12" deep in some weird dandelion outbreak so you can't see shit. We're pretty much diametrically opposed to Floridaux.

19 hours ago, bridhb said:

Swamps are pretty neat.  I grew up in South Florida hanging around in them.  I live on a 60 year old borrow pit pond outside of urbania, so it is pretty mature. I created my own little cypress swamp as they were always beautiful to me.  It gets full of all sorts of critters.

Interestingly next weeks presentation of "Nature" on PBS is "Wild Florida" & I do indeed intend to watch!

This weeks program was about the preservation of the Lesser Long Nosed Bat which is a critical cactus pollinator, & since it pollinates the Agave cactus explains it's nickname, The Tequila Bat. 

1 hour ago, animeproblem said:

...Agave cactus...

No, agave is not a cactus. 

All cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti. ;)