It was designed by Jørn Utzon, who is probably more famous for designing Sydney Opera House. His dad Aage Utzon was a very skilled yacht designer and designed some very pretty double enders. Try google "Aage Utzon snuller" and you will see what I mean. That period after 1930 was a golden age of Danish yacht design, with Aage Utzon, Georg Berg and M.S.J. Hansen driving the development of the small seaworthy double ender.

• Like 1

The longer I look, the more I'm convinced its some kind of optical illusion

1 hour ago, bohme said:

It was designed by Jørn Utzon, who is probably more famous for designing Sydney Opera House. His dad Aage Utzon was a very skilled yacht designer and designed some very pretty double enders. Try google "Aage Utzon snuller" and you will see what I mean. That period after 1930 was a golden age of Danish yacht design, with Aage Utzon, Georg Berg and M.S.J. Hansen driving the development of the small seaworthy double ender.

So this one is a triple ender?

• Like 2

OK, so what are the advantages of this design? Less drag at the rear end? anything else?

I doubt there is any significant reduction in weight.

I can think of disadvantages: less stability, less space in the back, more expensive construction. 

So, my question is really: why?