J/35 what should I use to fix this?

I'm redoing the bottom on my J/35 and found some pretty wide cracks and lifting around what I think is called the Cutlass bearing. It's a brass fitting that goes down and holds the prop shaft just in front of the propeller.

Prying slightly, the chunks came off revealing those bolts. Based on that I am guessing that this is not a fiberglass failure, and that the stuff that came off is meant to be removable in order to get access to those bolts.

The question is: What do I fill this in with? I have some Pettit EZ-Fair epoxy fairing compound that I'm planning to use for other much more minor filling. The can says that it could be used for imperfections up to 3/4-in thick. Should I just do this? Or is something more structural required here?

PXL_20210627_144846441.jpg

That's called the strut - the cutless bearing is the rubber lined tube at the bottom that the shaft goes through.

What you see is just fairing filler. Probably a good spot for polyester filler for easy future removal if the strut has to come out.

Sand the strut until you see bright metal, is it pinkish? if so do the preventative maintenance thing and replace it- its not hard. After 30 years and especially if manganese bronze rather than ali bronze, it will be weakened. Up to you if you just cruise out to the start line and back fine , carry on and bog it up but if youre considering a lot more motoring and there is any doubt just replace it.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's called the strut - the cutless bearing is the rubber lined tube at the bottom that the shaft goes through.

What you see is just fairing filler. Probably a good spot for polyester filler for easy future removal if the strut has to come out.

Yes, one of the few places where crummy (crumbly?) bog is best.

weld it!