Anyone try one of these for sailing? I was given one recently and god knows I'd never buy something like that. But I have to use it  now and it does work great for cycling. I just have a hard time using some of this stuff for sailing since i'm so busy driving.

I haven't used the Quantix 6, but I do have experience with other similar Garmin watches.

I don't look at mine a lot while sailing, but I do use it for start timer and for navigation.  The app that I use gives me bearing to waypoint, so I check that every few minutes and compare it against most COG when I can't see the next buoy.  I like having quick access to change waypoints on my first vs reaching for a more complicated plotter.  Almost all of my racing is to fixed gov't waypoints.

I think there are multiple apps that do this (I wrote my own but haven't ported it to the Fenix/Quantix 6 yet -- it's not much work and my source code is all on github if anyone else wants to do it).

I think the RaceQs watch app is hands-down the best sail racing watch app out there. I don’t think it runs on the Quatix but it does run on the Fenix series and other models at the lower end of the Garmin range.

It has an especially useful “My Courses” feature where, if your club uses fixed marks, you can upload courses to the watch and it will automatically index to the next mark as well tell you the heading and predicted TWA for every leg of the course. And it will automatically upload your track to RaceQs, including the marks and the start line if you ping it beforehand.

Plus the usual start timer, COG/SOG, angle & distance to the mark, etc.

I have a Quatix 6; partially own it for work-related purposes. Not sure I'd spring for it otherwise, they are not giving them away. 

The on-board apps are MUCH better then the downloadable garmin ones of the same function; seems they want to justify the added cost vs the Fenix series. The sail race app has a very nice timer. As I sail all over the place I appreciate that you can easily set the sequence to any number of minutes. It also supports distance to line, but I've never tried that in anger. The log file it generates is exportable to any decent analytics program. The dedicated MOB feature is nice, as is the built-in integration to inReach Mini. Oh, and it control my stereo, lucky because I already had a Fusion radio.

For sailing it is a MUCH better watch than the Apple Watch, absolutely no comparison. The RaceQs app runs fine on it as well.

With a tiny bit of Dremel work, the super-sweet MARQ bands work.

IMG_3259.jpg

I regularly use race-q’s in the phone. I’ll look for it to see if it’s possible on the quatix. So does anyone know how I can get multiple marker points into the watch that are used as fixed buoy roundings??? I’ve looked at garmin express and ConnectIQ. Also at @Jackdaw, what’s the deal with the MARQ bands? And kind of dremel work??

5 minutes ago, DaveK said:

I regularly use race-q’s in the phone. I’ll look for it to see if it’s possible on the quatix. So does anyone know how I can get multiple marker points into the watch that are used as fixed buoy roundings??? I’ve looked at garmin express and ConnectIQ. Also at @Jackdaw, what’s the deal with the MARQ bands? And kind of dremel work??

I'm a bit of a watch guy, and I really like straps that have curved ends that meet flush with the watch case. The standard straps do not, the MARQ straps do; but the MARQ case has small notches in the bottom that match prongs on the MARQ strap latches. Makes them incompatible with Fenix/Quatix. A quick treatment with a dremel files them off, and then Bobs your uncle. Apply Google-Fu to ' reddit fenix marq strap dremel' for more joy.

16 hours ago, DaveK said:

This is the watch face I use. 

532840D6-357F-4E08-AD1C-17C695113D52.jpeg

Oh man your eyes are better than mine.  I needed readers to see half of that. I go big and simple. 

24DAEA00-77B2-4EE3-9CC5-78B25E5C14E4.jpeg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Oh man your eyes are better than mine.  I needed readers to see half of that. I go big and simple. 

24DAEA00-77B2-4EE3-9CC5-78B25E5C14E4.jpeg

Agreed but I had to see how much shit I could possibly get on it. I'll go back to simple one but I also need a digit number clock not analog hands.

21 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Agreed but I had to see how much shit I could possibly get on it. I'll go back to simple one but I also need a digit number clock not analog hands.

I thought you are old enough to know how to tell time...

1 minute ago, gbkersey said:

I thought you are old enough to know how to tell time...

Bo quit acting like a 5th grader!! :P

• Like 1
On 6/28/2021 at 4:45 PM, DaveK said:

what do you use on your computer with it's files?

On 6/28/2021 at 2:45 PM, DaveK said:

On the RaceQs website, log in and click the triangle next to your name in the upper right. Click on My Marks and you can upload a .gpx file with all of your fixed marks in it. The marks will be uploaded to your watch and you can select one from the watch navigation menu. Then the watch will show you angle and distance to the selected mark.

The My Courses feature is even cooler but a little more complex to set up.

23 hours ago, TJSoCal said:

On the RaceQs website, log in and click the triangle next to your name in the upper right. Click on My Marks and you can upload a .gpx file with all of your fixed marks in it. The marks will be uploaded to your watch and you can select one from the watch navigation menu. Then the watch will show you angle and distance to the selected mark.

The My Courses feature is even cooler but a little more complex to set up.

Ok so I’m sitting in a county tax office and managed to load RaceQs on the watch. Awesome!!! I’ll try the rest later!! Thanks!