British and Irish Lions - Rugby Tour of SA (South Africa)

First match against Japan won 28-10. 

British & Irish Lions vs Japan 2021 - YouTube

Lost Alun Wyn Jones and Justin Tipuric to shoulder injuries - Wyn Jones was tour captain, so big disruption there.

Now travelling to SA.  First match on Sat 3 July v Emirates Lions.

Full fixture list here: British & Irish Lions | Fixtures (lionsrugby.com)

SA have two warm up matches v Georgia in SA, the first one being on Fri 2 July.

Lions to win 2:1.  It should be a great series.  Looking forward to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw the line-up and it look good. Happy to AWJ back as captain. 

Lions team to face South Africa: Hogg; A Watson, Daly, Henshaw, Van Der Merwe; Biggar, Price; W Jones, Cowan-Dickie, Furlong, Itoje, AW Jones (capt), Lawes, Curry, Conan.

Replacements: Owens, Sutherland, Sinckler, Beirne, H Watson, Murray, Farrell, L Williams.

Very happy to see lots of Scottish players in there as there's a lot of talent; Hogg and Watson are standouts. Will be interesting to see Van Der Merwe as the only Springjock!

• Like 1

Hmmmm....   It is a very strong team, but I am not convinced that Daley has earned his place, I think there are better centres in England let alone GB & Ireland.  It will be interesting to see if AW Jones will have the fitness to last the match, SA will probably be sending some big runners at his weak shoulder - I expect that he will be substituted early 2nd half and Lawes moves into second row.

I hope they put up a better performance than they managed against South Africa A last week.  Fingers crossed.  

Agree about Daly but saw it coming. Harris would be a good pick. I never used to rate him until the last 6 nations but he’s gone right up in my estimation. Hoping Finn Russell recovers from injury and can play a part or get Marcus Smith involved.

1 hour ago, The Main Man said:

Agree about Daly but saw it coming. Harris would be a good pick. I never used to rate him until the last 6 nations but he’s gone right up in my estimation. Hoping Finn Russell recovers from injury and can play a part or get Marcus Smith involved.

The problem is Henshaw and Harris are too similar, both big, hard hitting centres.  I think Henry Slade or Jamie Joseph would be better options. 

I'm amazed Farrell is in the side, even on the bench.  He is a world class kicker, but cannot tackle and is a mediocre passer, a best.  Russel or Smith would be a great improvement.

SA will take no prisoners!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

The problem is Henshaw and Harris are too similar, both big, hard hitting centres.  I think Henry Slade or Jamie Joseph would be better options. 

I'm amazed Farrell is in the side, even on the bench.  He is a world class kicker, but cannot tackle and is a mediocre passer, a best.  Russel or Smith would be a great improvement.

SA will take no prisoners!

Not sure I've ever seen him pass!

• Like 1

That looked a bit better for us, first half was not pretty, but we were fairly dominant in the second half, 15 points clear is a large margin at this level.

Too many unforced penalties by the Lions. Very few multi-phase running attacks with the backs attacking out wide. Lastly, the Lions dropped too many high balls. 

SA will try and turn the last test into a repeat. Lions need to stop that from happening.