Jump to content

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

C&C out of the custom yard

The bow and stern lines definitely look like an early 70s C&C design.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan 54.

1968 Morgan Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

I looked at buying one in Napa once but came to my senses when I thought about the forces involved in sailing it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Morgan 54.

1968 Morgan Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

I looked at buying one in Napa once but came to my senses when I thought about the forces involved in sailing it.

 

Re: "forces involved in sailing it."  That may be true, but Rage has an absurdly short stick on it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been a number of stories over the past years regarding folks turning old modest blue-water capable boats into deluxe daysailers - and if you can afford the per-foot exposure,  I suppose I can dig it,  still - the refurbishment has to be an act of irrational exuberance and even when it's 'done',  it ain't the cost to Get In,  It's the cost to Stay In.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Editor said:

what-was-it-6-292-21.jpg

We don't know, but it musta been a beauty! Any ideas? Thanks to IOR Landfills.

Looks like the hull of a C&C 61 and the Deck of a Morgan 55

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timur said:

Boat in need of a Lloyds of London insurance binder, an old, but hot, flare and a dark dark night.  Who's to say the old flair didn't self-ignite and burn the old gal to the water line.  Total loss.  For Lloyds.  (disclaimer: do not try this at home).

This, from a Super Anarchist? I'm a total newbie, but is even a jokey promotion of insurance fraud a good idea? I'm not a member of Lloyds, but I have some good friends who are and who underwrite risk in good faith.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Flyingakite said:

is even a jokey promotion of insurance fraud a good idea? I'm not a member of Lloyds, but I have some good friends who are and who underwrite risk in good faith.

I am not an advocate or defender of fraud, and that's not my idea of a good joke ... but I would never lose a moment's sleep worrying about the fate of the gambles taken by Lloyds names.  (And yes, I have a few as friends; they know my views).

There vast numbers of people in any society whose fate is much rougher than those with vast stores of capital from which they usually make big profits through no effort.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think that it came out of the same mold as Rage...or, at least, the same hull lines drawing.  The hull looks a lot like a Morgan 42 MK II.  I was a bowman on a Tripp 44 when Rage was launched.  I remember watching it duel upwind with Pat Haggerty's latest S&S Bay Bee on their way out of Tampa Bay at the start of the SORC.  (Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away....)

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pwormwood said:

Yeah, I think that it came out of the same mold as Rage...or, at least, the same hull lines drawing.  The hull looks a lot like a Morgan 42 MK II.  I was a bowman on a Tripp 44 when Rage was launched.  I remember watching it duel upwind with Pat Haggerty's latest S&S Bay Bee on their way out of Tampa Bay at the start of the SORC.  (Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away....)

Definately NOT a Morgan 42 MK II.  I crew on one and would know - check my avatar.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

C&C out of the custom yard

Agree. Aletea I do believe was/is her name.

C&C 51(?) built at the Bruckman yard with Bill Goman as project manager IIRC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flyingakite said:

This, from a Super Anarchist? I'm a total newbie, but is even a jokey promotion of insurance fraud a good idea? I'm not a member of Lloyds, but I have some good friends who are and who underwrite risk in good faith.

Wow you really are new here - this is the local flavor of humor. If this is too rough for you, I expect you won't last long

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with SloopJonB; Looks like a Morgan 54. Where was it "discovered", some Bayou in Louisiana? That was a pretty good design to the CCA rule. Rage, as I recall was 2nd overall in the 1968 Newport-Bermuda race.

It looks like it's done, though. Maybe over done. Happened to a boat I built, a Britt Chance daggerboard of soft woods. 2 years ago cut up and sold for the engine, winches (14 of 'em!), 11,000 pounds of lead, and a 3 spreader rig.

Like the clipper ships, they are monuments of snow....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure looks like a Morgan 54 to me. My 1st post in SA was trying to locate a Morgan 54' "Silverswoard" I crewed on for day sails in the early 90's. SLB & S4B, GRS, and a few others gave me great feedback but I never did locate the boat, (last I knew it was on its way to Thailand with a different name). I don't care what anyone says about that design but, it was pretty, had a beautiful sheer line, short handsome house & Big Mo. Cracked off, or on a reach the boat was a machine. For us we needed 4 + the owner/skipper to sail her, however the guy who bought her, sailed her single handed from Hawaii to California. A few years later I ran into him, back at the Ala Wai when he decided to leave CA & head to Pattaya, Thailand..... Well built, massive, and both a beauty and a beast. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Morgan 54.

1968 Morgan Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

I looked at buying one in Napa once but came to my senses when I thought about the forces involved in sailing it.

 

I believe the late, much beloved Innocent Bystander skippered her when she was owned by the the USNA. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Editor said:

what-was-it-6-292-21.jpg

 

Shouldn't there be a gatorhead or two sticking up in the water?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

There have been a number of stories over the past years regarding folks turning old modest blue-water capable boats into deluxe daysailers - and if you can afford the per-foot exposure,  I suppose I can dig it,  still - the refurbishment has to be an act of irrational exuberance and even when it's 'done',  it ain't the cost to Get In,  It's the cost to Stay In.

I bet we can start an instagram channel posting these old boats ,  "classic racer looking for an adventurous couple willing to add some TLC"  I bet we could sell a shitload of them..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Guy LeDouche said:

Guy believes there is nothing wrong with an absurdly short stick. Ask Mrs. Frank!

Huzzah!! Totally agree and welcome back Guy!

FB- Doug

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Have to say, I kind of fall in the C&C camp... Morgan did those long graceful hulls too but i don't see any specific points in common with the old Morgans

FB- Doug

The short house and that high bow are not typical C&C.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moore Play said:

Sure looks like a Morgan 54 to me. My 1st post in SA was trying to locate a Morgan 54' "Silverswoard" I crewed on for day sails in the early 90's. SLB & S4B, GRS, and a few others gave me great feedback but I never did locate the boat, (last I knew it was on its way to Thailand with a different name). I don't care what anyone says about that design but, it was pretty, had a beautiful sheer line, short handsome house & Big Mo. Cracked off, or on a reach the boat was a machine. For us we needed 4 + the owner/skipper to sail her, however the guy who bought her, sailed her single handed from Hawaii to California. A few years later I ran into him, back at the Ala Wai when he decided to leave CA & head to Pattaya, Thailand..... Well built, massive, and both a beauty and a beast. 

A family friend Bob Hogan was a regular on Silversword during the '70s. I spent a few hours on her as a kid in SoCal when Bob delivered her from Hawaii for transpac (maybe '73?). I always thought she was a great looking boat and also wondered what happened to her. Bob (who passed away a few years ago in his '80s) had some great stories from his Silversword days--they pushed that boat hard in some big conditions in Hawaii, and between the boat and crew, they stood up to it and delivered. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks a lot like "Suzy Wong", a S&S custom built beauty. It is not THE Suzy Wong which has recently undergone a major restoration and 

is currently at my marina get a paint job. 

IMG_0203.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Radsailor said:

Looks a lot like "Suzy Wong"

Other than old, white and wood house there are zero similarities in the two boats

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, binkoba said:

Ok It is a 1969 Morgan, 53.7 feet, called GALATEA, owned by WILLIAM E FOLLENDORF.  

I still got it. -_-

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2021 at 2:13 PM, Flyingakite said:

This, from a Super Anarchist? I'm a total newbie, but is even a jokey promotion of insurance fraud a good idea? I'm not a member of Lloyds, but I have some good friends who are and who underwrite risk in good faith.

Pretty obvious it was tongue in cheek.  Can't anyone take a joke anymore?  I'll bet Lloyd thinks it's funny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

Other than old, white and wood house there are zero similarities in the two boats

it is floating.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wigen, Morgan 54 from Santa Barbara, Owner had a disability and used the hand rails to get down the hatch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2021 at 4:43 PM, Morgan Crewed said:

Definately NOT a Morgan 42 MK II.  I crew on one and would know - check my avatar.

Didn't think so either. My comment was about the similar lines.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned above it must be a centerboarder - draws only 5.7" for a 54 footer.

From what I learned from my earlier post there were at least two keel types, one a longish fairly shallow keel with a centerboard, and another, more like a 12 meter of the period with a much deeper keel with a "trim tab" at the back of the lower part of the keel. The "trim tab" was larger than many rudders I have seen and you could tack the boat with it.  Silversword had the deeper keel version and I would guess its draft was well over 6'. It pretty much maxed out the Travel Lift at Ala Wai Marine and dwarfed the other boats on the hard when it was up. Talk about boat bucks!!!! I give the previous owner credit as she was well maintained at that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just take a boat ride on the canals in Ft Lauderdale. Tons of boats just like this that have been tied up for years. Some, not that old either. Moss on the sail cover so thick it could be turned into a rug. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2021 at 1:57 PM, Moore Play said:

Sure looks like a Morgan 54 to me. My 1st post in SA was trying to locate a Morgan 54' "Silverswoard" I crewed on for day sails in the early 90's. SLB & S4B, GRS, and a few others gave me great feedback but I never did locate the boat, (last I knew it was on its way to Thailand with a different name). I don't care what anyone says about that design but, it was pretty, had a beautiful sheer line, short handsome house & Big Mo. Cracked off, or on a reach the boat was a machine. For us we needed 4 + the owner/skipper to sail her, however the guy who bought her, sailed her single handed from Hawaii to California. A few years later I ran into him, back at the Ala Wai when he decided to leave CA & head to Pattaya, Thailand..... Well built, massive, and both a beauty and a beast. 

My dad owned “Silversword” back in the early ‘70s, I skippered and crewed on her in many races, including the ‘73 Transpac. 14 month western and South Pacific cruise ‘74/‘75. Great boat, solid, fast. Definitely a Morgan 54…I also would love to know what happened to her…

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2021 at 6:33 PM, PHM said:

A family friend Bob Hogan was a regular on Silversword during the '70s. I spent a few hours on her as a kid in SoCal when Bob delivered her from Hawaii for transpac (maybe '73?). I always thought she was a great looking boat and also wondered what happened to her. Bob (who passed away a few years ago in his '80s) had some great stories from his Silversword days--they pushed that boat hard in some big conditions in Hawaii, and between the boat and crew, they stood up to it and delivered. 

Bob Hogan sailed with us many times on Silversword—great guy, very talented.  Top physical shape too, could hand over hand on a halyard to the masthead on Silversword, in his 50s. Widgeon was the previous name of the ‘Sword.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...