Modern language use that really really shits me

2 hours ago, quod umbra said:
7 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist oppsionalle, I nevere putte collisione on my olde cars eithere.........            :)

Ya know what really chafes my chaps, bad spelling.

No fuckes given snowflacke...........               :)

Sorrey if that soundes snappey.......            

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I learned something over the years I spent in corporations listening to all that sort of fashionable bullshit. It is used almost exclusively by people who work in areas that don't have a speciali

Try a quantum leap before you paradigm shift. The synergy is better.

Being pro active is too much work and doesn't pay as much as people think.  I've always maintained my amateur active status, it's much less of a hassle.    I have to run now. I need to lean in to

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Really?  Really???   

Maybe you should look into the Judgement of Paris in 1976.  Interestingly it was organized by a British wine merchant, Stephen Spurrier, who wanted to decisively settle the claim that French Bordeaux blends were superior to California Cabernet Sauvignon and the French White Burgundies were better than the California Chardonnays.  The wine merchant sold only French wines and he was confident that the French wines would win.

Of course it didn't turn out that way and a 1973 Cabernet Sauvignon from Stags Leap cellars was rated number 1 in the red category and a 1973 Chardonnay from Chateau Montelena was rated number in the white category.  The wine world and particularly the French were appalled and embarrassed.   Spurrier claimed it was all very subjective and therefore not indicative of the superiority of the American wines.  I'm sure he would have not said a word had the French wines come out on top.

In 1986, on the 10th anniversary of the 1976 competition, Spurrier, still smarting from his beatdown 10 years earlier arranged another tasting in France of the same vintages of the red wines from 10 years earlier.  This time the results were even more embarrassing.  The California 1972 Clos du Val took first place instead of the 1973 Stags Leap and another California Cab, a 1971 Ridge Monte Bello took 2nd place.  The white wines were not tasted again because they felt they were past their prime.  I'm not sure if Mr. Spurrier committed suicide after his 2nd attempt at proving the superiority of French Bordeaux wines.

I have some experience with Bordeaux wines and I have tasted multiple vintages of all of the red Bordeaux wines form the competition, although not the years that the judges tasted.  The only Cali Cab that I had the pleasure of drinking from the competition was a 1976 Clos du Val and in my opinion it was outstanding and I would have thought it was from Bordeaux and not California had I not known before I tasted it.

Because I have not tasted many top grade Cali Cabs, I can't express my opinion overall.  I will say that I absolutely love good Bordeaux wines and I have tasted many bottles from all of the top tier Bordeaux Chateaux including several iconic ones. I have lived in Europe for the last 22 years, so I have easy access to French wines and I haven't run across or searched out California wines.  I am not much of a white wine drinker.

People that know fine wine much better better than I do generally agree that California produces high quality wines that are just as good as French wines. There are plenty of fucked up things in the US that I will readily agree with you about, but wine isn't one of them.  

Try harder my good fellow.

This is so appallingly ironic and laughable coming from somebody that is presumably British, the country known best for such culinary delights as 'bubble and squeak', 'trifle', and 'pub grub', that are so beloved that there are British restaurants all over the world.  Oh, wait, no there aren't.  I am not a big fan of McDonald's and I despise Starbucks, but I have seen both in large numbers all over Europe, Japan, and Korea, where I have lived at various times in my life.

Just so you know that I am not bullshitting about the wines I've drunk, this is me at a memorable wine tasting last year.  No wonder my smile is so big.

image.png.b59597a04270fd171d05eb9d44a5c602.png

And Australian wines have done well in international competitions as well.

One swallow may set the mind racing, but a summer it does not make.

As for the "McDonaldisation" of language? That's perfect.

5 hours ago, Shu said:

Platform. I find its most egregious use is on platforms such as Sailing Anarchy when referring to sailboats: "...the Kerr 46 is a great platform...". 

I suspect it originated with sailmakers, who may be tempted to think of boats as platforms to test their latest professional creations. I take issue with the idea that a boat, that is created to cleave through waves and skim across the water in such a pleasing manner, would be merely a platform. A barge is a platform. A sailboat is so much more. 

A program for that platform would really ice that cake.

3 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

And Australian wines have done well in international competitions as well.

One swallow may set the mind racing, but a summer it does not make.

As for the "McDonaldisation" of language? That's perfect.

Was it an African or European swallow?

• Like 2

Understanding the neurobiology of people who suffer witzelsucht, and those who are linguistically humorless due to brain damage, could shed light on the mechanisms of wit.

As far as” something something something. Grrrrrrr!!!

It’s either:

”As for Ed Lada, he’s hung like a horse”

or

”As far as schlongs go, Ed’s in a field of his own.”

See the difference?

2 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

As far as something something something. Grrrrrrr!!!

It’s either:

or

As far as schlongs go, Ed’s in a field of his own.”

See the difference?

whast the diffrence ?

On 7/9/2021 at 8:21 PM, Snaggletooth said:

No fuckes given snowflacke...........               :)

Sorrey if that soundes snappey.......            

That's it, gloves off Snaggapopolis!

From the title I would say modern language is almost incomprehensible out of context.

Don't know what this thread really is about but I often meditate on two of my favorite English phrases. I marvel at the simplicity elegance and versatility.

I believe currently the 2 greatest phrases in the English language are:

"Fuck that shit"

"That shit is fucked"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bdgWesternMass said:

From the title I would say modern language is almost incomprehensible out of context.

Don't know what this thread really is about but I often meditate on two of my favorite English phrases. I marvel at the simplicity elegance and versatility.

I believe currently the 2 greatest phrases in the English language are:

"Fuck that shit"

"That shit is fucked"

I particularly appreciate a line by Christopher Hitchens when he describes an incident whilst covering "The Troubles" early in his career.

He was bailed up by a member of the British Army who said to him,

"get the fuck out of here!"

In his retelling of the incident Hitchens says,

"So out of there the fuck I got"

5 hours ago, Black Sox said:

As far as” something something something. Grrrrrrr!!!

It’s either:

or

”As far as schlongs go, Ed’s in a field of his own.”

See the difference?

I'm OK with that either way.  People will immediately think of a horse when they hear "Ed's in a field of his own."  Because you know, Mr. Ed the talking horse!  Also it's because human nature only to think of superlatives when they hear "In a field of his own."

57 minutes ago, Ukuri said:

I particularly appreciate a line by Christopher Hitchens when he describes an incident whilst covering "The Troubles" early in his career.

He was bailed up by a member of the British Army who said to him,

"get the fuck out of here!"

In his retelling of the incident Hitchens says,

"So out of there the fuck I got"

As they say...

If "fuck" didn't exist, we would have to invent it.

There's (referring to plural) instead of there are or there're 

Ax a question instead of ask 

Aluminum.

E-Z Kote.

Coke Lite.

Some of my personal favorites for purposefully dumbed down language via mashed spelling. Like many modern (ab)uses of language, it is worse in the written form.

Much like a Big Mac™, one stares at words or sentences and feels sorry for the ingredients, as something tasty or readable could have been made from them.

And I am not even a native speaker.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Dorado said:

I'm William Shakespeare and I approve of this message.

Don't forget the immortal words of Bob Perry.  "I fucketh off not."

1 hour ago, Grog said:

Much like a Big Mac™, one stares at words or sentences and feels sorry for the ingredients, as something tasty or readable could have been made from them.

gonna steal that.jpg

• Like 1