Starting to think about adding a 6 passenger golf Cart to the fleet, to avoid running a diesel or older ICE engine a half mile at a time.

We'd use it for running wet bodies between house and pool at clubhouse, and other local/neighborhood transportation. In SC they are legal on low speed roads if properly equipped and licensed within a few miles of the neighborhood.

Utility transport around the yard in lieu of a wheelbarrow is a bonus, for bags of mulch, or stacks of pavers.

Farther future might want to have small trailered (< 1000 lb)  dinghy behind it, if torque and traction would allow it to navigate a gentle boat ramp.

Key Questions:

• Battery vs Gasoline
    • AC vs DC drive ?
    • Lithium vs Flooded Lead Acid ?
  • Lifted suspension & oversize tires for occasional trails?
  • ClubCar vs EZGO vs Yamaha vs other?
  • Particular features/accessories that should be built into it?

My ancient (probably late 80s) Club car 48VDC was spectacular, until last year when the neighbor kids were helping me do a fall clean up, and decided that it was a dune buggy, and cracked two of the batteries.  I would suggest not getting a lift kit/trail tires. They are not dune buggies, or side by side ATVs.

The batteries are very expensive. That's why mine is still waiting for new ones.

I found it's wise to always have a sailing rig in case you run out of gas and carry an anchor to throw out when you get becalmed.

enhance

I liked the Yamaha because where we lived pretty much any mechanic could work on it, not so much the Club Cars and EZ Gos, both of which were also much more expensive.

My brother has bought 2 over the years.  Both gas powered 2 seaters.  He uses it as a utility vehicle on his small farm.  He has a 10-15 acre fiels with trees,  trails, a pistol range, all along a slow flowing river.  There are a couple of steep gravel driveways from house down to barns and barns down to river bend.  No steeper than what might be found on a golf course I imagine.  A local golf course lines up the older models along the road and that is where he got his first at an attractive price then traded in for the next.

• Like 1

6 pax cart,  would net you much in the hauling yard waste around since you are loosing some of the storage area to passenger seating.

a slight lift would accommodate street tires/wheels which would wear much better than golfcart turf tires.  gas all the way.  when a battery gets tired or half used  its slows down.  a gasser runs fast until it out of fuel.  and when you need you just dump more go juice in it.  adding electrons to a battery takes time, and easy to forget to plug in. 

pops lives in the villages in FL,  and he put about 6-8K miles on a cart each year.  loves the new yamahas that are not any nosier than a battery cart. 

also  if you want on a gasser.  you can tweak the governor  to get a few extra MPH

At work we use EZgo pretty much exclusively mix of gas and electric

but club car is trying to get a foot in the door in..., we also have a  Few GEM electric vehicles set up a utility vehicles.  cabs flat bets ladder racks, etc.  some of the newer electric carts  have regen ...

new plan on spending upwards of 15K for a base model 6 pax

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

new plan on spending upwards of 15K for a base model 6 pax

Well that's crazy. That's decent ICE car territory. Get a used hybrid and maybe you can keep it in electric mode because you go slowly.

OR....

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-the-worlds-cheapest-electric-car-is-like-to-1843904305

Only 4 pax but much cheaper than a golf cart. And you don't get wet if it rains. ~$3000 delivered

image.png.7be8e92d141b0804b1294be1b57a37ee.png

I have a 21 year old 48 volt Club Car that I bought used 11 years ago. It had been a marina work vehicle, so had a pretty hard life. It's lifted, with the big tires.

It used to have a cowdog.

yard-trailer-loaded.jpg

I've bought it a couple of sets of batteries over the years and replaced the tires, but that's about it. Runs every day, on the charger every night. I had a Kawasaki Mule previously and really like the quiet of the electric cart.

Sold the Mule to Florida Man, who hauled it away like this:

leavingmule.jpg

Getting the back tires to bounce over the pickup's wheel wells without continuing through the cab was quite a trick.

Highly recomend it.  Have had one for a few years now.  Ditched the lead acid when they died and put in lithion ion.  Oringally I got two drop ins but they could not handle the peak load so I got one of this to add to the mix.  https://www.amazon.com/HAILONG-Battery-Electric-Bicycle-48V/dp/B093T2P2W7/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=48v+lithium+battery+20ah&qid=1625605983&sr=8-4

Not exact model but close.   I have never really clocked it but think I can go about 10 miles which is plenty for me.  But if you need more range  there is lots of space when you get rid of the lead acid.  

Only issue now is when I go to leave the club the auto gate no longer works since I removed so much weight from the cart.  

Great not to have to worry about keeping the batteries always charged.    Only issue is then you need a 48v to 12v power supply to run the lights. But again not a big deal.    I also put in a receiver and had extra heavy angle brackets installed to handle it.  Love towing around little trailers.IMG_1104.thumb.jpeg.36847398fb384f27708df61c40347f0a.jpeg

IMG_1103.jpeg

Kind of a rats nest.  But show the batteries.  One nice thing about the drop ins is they have a lcd screen that shows charge level.  But the blue battery back is about 1/2 the size of the dropins.  If I had to do it all over again I would go for batteries like the blue pack.  The charger is tiny and is there shown far right in the picture.  Not sure how many amps but not much  bigger then an old latop charger.  Easily charges overnight.

IMG_1105.thumb.jpeg.80151690e39abd7961430563df5d7974.jpeg

We love our Cricket. 600 lb capacity (no kidding), collapses and fits on your hitch rack. Fits on the dock. You might be able to get 6 on it. jk.

__KGrHqZ__qoE-ZNZNpn6BPp_5IYWfw__60_1.JPG.fc2d50974c4df88e0856c2e9d660b62f.JPG

I don't know about the need to have bigger tires and a lift. When I think of all the abuse and brutality inflicted on those poor little carts by myself and other beer-soaked golfers, I hang my head in shame.

But they always got us back to the bar !

Probably not helpful to your original inquiry but another recco that might add some usability to your ultimate purchase. If you have a local tentmaker, this type of removeable, zipable curtain makes the golfcart a 4 season utility tool.

enhance

Very toasty on those cold, damp winter night movie dates!

• Like 1

here's your gasser!

Pin on Golf carts

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dorado said:

I don't know about the need to have bigger tires and a lift. When I think of all the abuse and brutality inflicted on those poor little carts by myself and other beer-soaked golfers, I hang my head in shame.

But they always got us back to the bar !

I've occasionally run out of ground clearance and wished for a higher lift kit and bigger tires.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Excoded Tom said:

I've occasionally run out of ground clearance and wished for a higher lift kit and bigger tires.

What?  "the golf cart of death" needs ground clearance?

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, random. said:

It has enough to run over a single body but when they pile up, yes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, random. said:

Glad to know.  I have a lift and bigger tires and wonder if it was necessary.  Wish I took a picture but just yesterday I used the cart to tie a corner of a sail when I was drying it out.  They are very handy.  Also have a wagon that I pull around from time to time when have passengers and want to bring a large cooler down.  As an added benefit some of our docks at our club have wide ramps so when doing any big gear loading on boats you can load up and drive right down to the side of the boat.

• Like 1

Appreciate the suggestions, the bounding constraints are:

• 60" gate width clearance to access back yard
  • Overall length < 15' to fit in garage with other stuff,
    • have a 6x10' 2750 lb trailer available, can put a ramp on the front to lift over the railing much like in @Excoded Tomphoto of small pickup if need to move over roads farther than statutory 4 miles. 
  • Able to be street legal (lights, horn, bumpers etc) for running errands adjacent to neighborhood
  • 6 passenger:
    • Mostly will be 4 passenger and cargo of pool toys on third seat,
    • occasionally take 4- 5 guests on neighborhood tour
    • passengers mostly > 200 lbs or < 100 and growing at this point, so 1000lb capacity needed

This is the "low country" so not much in the way of hill climbing needed, the bridge to the clubhouse is pretty gentle grade

We used to have a Kubota RTV900 for vineyard maintenance, diesel 20hp 4WD selectable range with locking rear differential etc and  dump bed. 

Not seeking that level of functionality, but ability to ability to use it for a tow/launch vehicle for a 10' Rib/skiff on neighborhood ramp to AICW would be a bonus. 

Our development has its own marina.

Many of the neighbors have bought golf carts so they can park more of them in the same area for highballs on the docks after dinner.

As you arrive at the marina is a sign   No Parking - Loading zone

At the other end where the carts are parked is a sign   Getting Loaded Zone.

image.png.608c9bee6857cadb14e1b2dead714990.png

I have seen a few of these at rv parks "campgrounds".  Some one is usually selling theirs at the campground sites.   Most campgrounds have rules regarding and inspecting such carts annually.