Jump to content

where to by ski gear online??


Recommended Posts

You may want to look into seasonal leases for kids. As I understand it; seasonal gear leases for kids are sort of a loss leader because the gear makers want to hook kids on their brand. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Look for spring/summer sales at local brick and mortar shops that are trying to clear inventory.

Or used sporting goods stores.  Lots of those around here.

Or local ski areas/schools that are looking to replace their rental gear.

in other words, support your local people and economy with every purchase and fuk Amazon.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends where you’re located but you may have a local ski club. Our club had an annual Oct. swap meet of used gear and year old stock brought in by local shops. Good fit is important but young kids grow fast and boots purchased in July may not fit in December. If you have a preferred ski area there is often a pre season sale. I don’t see an advantage to buying online.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Boots should be bought at a brick-and-mortar store because fit is so critical.

Fit for a kid lasts a season. That's why every year my mother took us to the skate sharpening guy, who also sold used skates. My mother would bring in last year's skates, and we'd get a new/old pair that were usually half a size too big. Double socks and a bread bag and you were good until February. Then one pair of socks would have to come off... The good thing about the bread bag was it made getting into those rock hard skates easier. The bad thing was your feet sweated like crazy, then froze solid when you stopped for a few minutes.

 Dishwasher fingers never had it as bad as frozen skate toes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, but Sorry, should have been more specific.  We live in the South and dont have ski shops or neighbors that ski.  By gear i just meant apparel- jackets/pants/gloves etc.  If the kids like it, I could see most years we'll try to get in a ski week somewhere good like Colorado or Utah, but certainly just rent skis/boots/polls on mtn since we'll be schlepping in via airplane.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This time if year is a great time to hit ski shops. Wait for the last day of a local heat wave.  Go in there wanting to talk and buy skis and 9 times out of 10 they will give the ski nut the deal of the decade just so they can tell their pals on the bar on Saturday night.  The joints that sell bikes & skis are great places to impress the shopkeeper.

 

This time of the year, the shops near the mountain want to unload their rentals.  You can do well.  Later in the year, they will wholesale them out.

In New England most large cities have a ski/skate day on Columbus Day weekend.  The dealer wholesaled stuff is fair new, but priced accordingly.  The locals getting rid of their old gear can be a deal BUT you need to know how old it is, as many shops will not work on bindings over x years due to insurance liability.  Be there at opening as the best stuff is gone quickly.

 

If you have a ski team at your local school or youth organization, find out who runs it and contact them. They are wise to all kinds of deals including kids from last year looking to unload some gear they have outgrown.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh hell.... Just get a fiberfill parka, some decent mittens (NOT GLOVES), and flannel lined jeans.

 I say mittens because gloves will freeze your fingers off if you're not used to wearing them in the cold. I prefer wool lined moose hide "choppers". but that's just me.

These would probably do just fine for starters.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbbwU_ZV-bdysQ4PX_f

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdcS8nzlMaVqJMSODUtshopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdcS8nzlMaVqJMSODUt

Link to post
Share on other sites

1927KWT_On-Hands_380px-390px-150x150.png

1927KW_On-Hands_380px-390px-150x150.png

I get these at Tractor Supply.. most good hardware stores have them.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't say where you plan to ski or what time of year.  There can be HUGE differences in temperatures.  Depending where and when you plan to ski can influence your selection of clothing.  

If it is really cold, having the right clothing is essential both for enjoyment and safety.  

I have skied in temperatures as low as -25 C / -13 F.  I thought that too cold to really enjoy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, spankoka said:

You may want to look into seasonal leases for kids. As I understand it; seasonal gear leases for kids are sort of a loss leader because the gear makers want to hook kids on their brand. 

^^^^^^^^

This

We did this at the local ski shop for all three kids.  I think they age out at something like 13 or 14, then they let us roll over the some of the money on the current "leased" equipment to purchase skis/boots/poles/bindings for each of them.  Worked out great for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The important thing is fitting the kids properly. Bindings need to adjusted and the boots have to fit right. Otherwise you will pay an orthopedic doctor a lot more than you save on equipment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

many shops will not work on bindings over x years due to insurance liability

Used top be able to slide the tech a 6 pack and you were golden...  Last time I had to find the kid in the PL and give him a btl o cheap rum...  Ahh the good old days.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, M@AYC said:

Thanks, but Sorry, should have been more specific.  We live in the South and dont have ski shops or neighbors that ski.  By gear i just meant apparel- jackets/pants/gloves etc.  If the kids like it, I could see most years we'll try to get in a ski week somewhere good like Colorado or Utah, but certainly just rent skis/boots/polls on mtn since we'll be schlepping in via airplane.

OK, kid is 23 now and grew up skiing. Lease from some local shop.. REI or some such...  or rent at a shop off the mountain, like in town.  Cheaper and you don't have to deal with all the doorknobs trying to return their crap before the mountain closes.  You can leisurely drive down and turn em in on the way to dinner.  I raced and kid skied since he could walk.  I have 5 pairs of skis and 4 pairs of boots of his in the garage and that does not count his good pair with the size 12 frigging boots.....  So I did not follow my own advice, partly out of vanity and partly because that is how I always did it.  Now with the cost of tickets hovering around $150 and all that I would definitely go the lease/rental route if you are not planning on season tickets and spending at least 30 days on the mountain. 

Other piece of advice is if you are planning on doing a week long trip in the next year, look into the Vail season passes.  Mid summer or so they go on sale for dirt cheap compared to the daily prices.  You can use them for 10+ days at other vail resorts and some come with guest passes so those in BC etc are eligible.  Get one for yourself, take your wife along on the guest passes and the kiddos ski free...  you can save a pretty penny if you do it right.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Yeah I always see ads for "Ski Gear for Professionals, Local Delivery Available".

Why "professionals"?

And why all the capitalization?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ummm usually see the ad in Tools or Materials. 

I figured it was a coke dealer OR the cops trying to entrap people so they could climb the delivery chain.

Not my area of expertise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2021 at 4:56 PM, shaggy said:

OK, kid is 23 now and grew up skiing. Lease from some local shop.. REI or some such...  or rent at a shop off the mountain, like in town.  Cheaper and you don't have to deal with all the doorknobs trying to return their crap before the mountain closes.  You can leisurely drive down and turn em in on the way to dinner.  I raced and kid skied since he could walk.  I have 5 pairs of skis and 4 pairs of boots of his in the garage and that does not count his good pair with the size 12 frigging boots.....  So I did not follow my own advice, partly out of vanity and partly because that is how I always did it.  Now with the cost of tickets hovering around $150 and all that I would definitely go the lease/rental route if you are not planning on season tickets and spending at least 30 days on the mountain. 

Other piece of advice is if you are planning on doing a week long trip in the next year, look into the Vail season passes.  Mid summer or so they go on sale for dirt cheap compared to the daily prices.  You can use them for 10+ days at other vail resorts and some come with guest passes so those in BC etc are eligible.  Get one for yourself, take your wife along on the guest passes and the kiddos ski free...  you can save a pretty penny if you do it right.  

Is there something like that for VT?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the great gear tips.

Where do people recommend in Vermont for a resort where the kids can do ski school but also good for intermediate / advanced intermediate adults?  Any reason not to do Killington?  Trying to find ski in / ski out lodging as well, so that limits things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, M@AYC said:

Is there something like that for VT?

Vail resorts owns everything skiing.  Even tiny Wilmont mountain in Wisconsin, so probably.  Google is your friend.  The pass thing is a workaround, so read the fine print.   If you are talking about the ski rental thing, then yea, every resort has options like that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

 My advice is to wait till spring then cruise the thrift stores and dumpsters around Aspen or Vail. Amazing the amount of gear purchased and briefly used by some people. After all you couldn't be seen in last years Gucci gold lame`.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shaggy said:

Vail resorts owns everything skiing.  Even tiny Wilmont mountain in Wisconsin, so probably.  Google is your friend.  The pass thing is a workaround, so read the fine print.   If you are talking about the ski rental thing, then yea, every resort has options like that.  

Appreciate that, if the kiddos eventually get the bug, we'll be all over a deal like that.

 To be clear, we're sailors that live in Florida, my sons are age 5 and 6, and this will be there first time even being in cold weather since they were babies, and first time on skis, as such im not looking neccessarily looking for the absolute best deal on the passes, I want to be at the place w the best kids program for their first experience. We know that it could be cold / windy AF, and will have tons of proper gear for the little guys if thats the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, M@AYC said:

Appreciate that, if the kiddos eventually get the bug, we'll be all over a deal like that.

 To be clear, we're sailors that live in Florida, my sons are age 5 and 6, and this will be there first time even being in cold weather since they were babies, and first time on skis, as such im not looking neccessarily looking for the absolute best deal on the passes, I want to be at the place w the best kids program for their first experience. We know that it could be cold / windy AF, and will have tons of proper gear for the little guys if thats the case.

Florida actually has the most ski clubs of any state...  At least back in the day.  Check that out.  Apparently they put together tours and such..  Prob be a good place to get some connections and leads on stuff in FL..  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been decades since I was there, but Smuggler's Notch is a generally gentle hill with a good ski program for kids.  Keep that on your list.  It has on-slope accommodation.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

New England winters have gotten funky for reliable snow. For a family vacation with excellent ski schools, Snowmass CO was great but that was over 20 years ago. Our experience with young kids was that a half day of school was the limit provided they were having fun. That gives you the rest of the day to do something together.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cyclone said:

New England winters have gotten funky for reliable snow. For a family vacation with excellent ski schools, Snowmass CO was great but that was over 20 years ago. Our experience with young kids was that a half day of school was the limit provided they were having fun. That gives you the rest of the day to do something together.

Yep, we are taking that risk, no doubt.  Snowmass is amazing, unfortunately the only week we can go is the week between xmas and newyears.  the holiday inn in snowmass is like $1000/night that time of year...  OTOH, we got real cheap direct flights into boston even on the day after xmas, so we're gonna keep our fingers crossed for good snow in VT.  If it happens to be shit or non-existent we can hang in boston and check out the Maine coast, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We live 4 km from Mount Snow, which is the most alpine of the east coast resorts as it is more of a wide ridge then a single peak. Stratton is 40 minutes away and more of an expert mountain, Bromley is 30 and is more of an easy mountain/family resort. Okemo is a gem but not a lot of housing there. killington is about 2 hrs north and has it all, really two peaks in one, no real town to speak of nearby. You can get an Airbnb that reaches all but killington easily and try a few, or stick to stratton/killington/mount snow and get to know one place. Stowe is probably the best Vermont mountain of all but it’s up there. 
 

albany airport 82 minutes from the mountain. 
 

im partial but Dover, the town near my snow, has more restaurants/shops and is the closest for those coming from the south. If you come here let me know In advance and my 6 year old can come play in the snow with yours. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shaggy said:

Vail resorts owns everything skiing.  Even tiny Wilmont mountain in Wisconsin, so probably.  Google is your friend.  The pass thing is a workaround, so read the fine print.   If you are talking about the ski rental thing, then yea, every resort has options like that.  

Vail Resorts bought Whistler/Blackcomb and the first thing they did was eliminate discounts for locals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, spankoka said:

Vail Resorts bought Whistler/Blackcomb and the first thing they did was eliminate discounts for locals. 

Ummmmmm. 

https://www.epicpass.com/benefits/view-all-benefits.aspx

https://www.epicpass.com/pass-results/passes.aspx

You can get them here in aug for cheap..  Full price is obviously stupid...  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...