Hi everybody.

We have the classical Ockam system with a T1, jumbos, Matrix and the Ockam bus. Works fine.

The only thing is that the connection of the laptop to the system is via an RS232 which connects to the laptop via a USB/RS232 adaptor, which works but from time to time fails.

Has anybody an alternative solution?

The laptop is used for calibration and similar, as well as to run Expedition.

Good winds,

9 hours ago, Mikel_new said:

Hi everybody.

We have the classical Ockam system with a T1, jumbos, Matrix and the Ockam bus. Works fine.

The only thing is that the connection of the laptop to the system is via an RS232 which connects to the laptop via a USB/RS232 adaptor, which works but from time to time fails.

Has anybody an alternative solution?

The laptop is used for calibration and similar, as well as to run Expedition.

Good winds,

If your laptop has Bluetooth, I’ve found that an RS232 to Bluetooth adapter seems to stay connected better than usb. Never tried it with Ockams, but I’ve used one on about a dozen other applications. 

Rocketscott, thanks. I currently use the Digi Edgeport-1 and have used other USB-RS232 adapters in the past, which are similar to these you mention. The issue is that I would like to get rid of them all and go WiFi or any other mode.

Monkey, I will have a look at Bluetooth to RS232 adapters. Bandwidth should be enough since the bus is slow.

Thanks,

One issue with Ockam is that the NMEA sentences don't include a checksum

Most of the WiFi adapters won't pass the sentences through without a checksum. Yakker, DMK, and quark-elec all need a checksum

I'm using an Actisense NGW-1 as a bridge to the NMEA 2000. It will translate sentences without a checksum but I don't think they make a NMEA 0183 WiFi gateway

You can wire up the Digital Yacht NMEA 0183 WiFi router directly to your RS232 connection on your T1 (instead of the cable that runs to the computer). I had looked into that for our system at one point and found the wiring diagram somewhere. If it is your RS232 connection on the T1 is bad though that won't help. Bill in Chicago may be able to help you if that is the case.