J105 Stern access - port side

I am a new J105 owner and was attempting to close a hole from a no longer used coaxial antenna mount in the portside corner of the stern.  I quickly realized there doesn't appear to be any easy way to get inside the stern area on the port side other than removing the instrument panel.  Even when I remove the panel I can't reach all the way up to the upper aft corner of the compartment.  

I would really prefer not to have to cut an inspection port so does anyone else have any suggestions?

Also, if water gets into the aft compartment does it drain down to the bilge or is the bulkhead supposed to be watertight?

If it's a wheel boat, you're screwed!  Go ahead and cut an inspection port, or make it into a ringframe.  The later boats opened up the port bulkhead without any problems.  There should be a limber hole to let any water drain out of this area  Another way of accessing this area is to pull the engine panel out.  

I have a 2001 with a wheel and can just get to the port side from the starboard side.  Wiggling my way under the quadrant.  It is a tight squeeze and should not be done if you are even a little claustrophobic.  Find a skinny kid.

I should mention that I did crack ribs doing it but now that I know how, I can do it without getting too hurt.

23 hours ago, averagehack said:

I have a 2001 with a wheel and can just get to the port side from the starboard side.  Wiggling my way under the quadrant.  It is a tight squeeze and should not be done if you are even a little claustrophobic.  Find a skinny kid.

I should mention that I did crack ribs doing it but now that I know how, I can do it without getting too hurt.

I agree. I'm 6'2" and 190lbs and I can wriggle into the port corner. It's not very pleasant and you need to be confident of making it all the way through and all the way back. I suggest that you don't do it alone - have a friend along so that if you need to be pulled out backwards, you have someone there to help rather than waiting two weeks for your dock neighbors to get curious about the smell coming from your boat.