Warning: This Post May Offend

1 hour ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Fugly, indeed.

I wonder how long it will take for the stainless steel stanchions and rails to begin rusting?

If Hudson built it? About 90 days.

"Stainless Steel" seems to be very approximate, in the PRC export market. But the worst offenses land in US collaborateur's hands. Y G W Y P F

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can someone please explain to me why Shanghai Sailor is always able to have his posts slapped up on the Front Page? To be honest, his latest serving of pablum is nothing more than blatant propaga

Shanghai Sailor is a long-term positive contributor to SA and SAAC. Not very fair to attack him just because you don't like China. And yes, this belongs on PA; it isn't about sailing, it's about your

AJ is without a doubt the biggest, stupidest & most irrelevant jackoff on these forums. I often agree & disagree with the same people on different topics but almost all of them also offer

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Fareast is an exception. From what I have seen, they have done just about everything right. And as you noted, 6 years of use will normally highlight any build issues.

I won't name names right now but recent projects I have done on brand new US built moboats gave me opp to se astounding cases og dog's breakfast with shiny gelcoat and a "pedigree" name.

19 minutes ago, Parma said:

I wouldn't lay my politics on them, but I might question the quality of the build. A factory visit would definitely be a part of buying "made in China"

Yup

If you are thinking of spending big money for a boat over there.....

1. Make sure that the factory is actively managed by employees from the west.

2. If they are running three shifts, make sure a western manager is on duty during the graveyard.

3. If one or more leaves for vacation, make sure there are still western boots present during their absence

4. Have the finished boat surveyed in and out of the water before taking delivery.

5. Require a detailed inventory of each and every part that will be used on the boat. Use it to verify when it is delivered. Do not accept any substitutes from an unknown manufacturer. They have a tendency to switch things out with cheaper, local made bits. And I have also seen a fake Lewmar windlass and winches used.

You are trusting the boat builder with your life along with anyone else that is aboard.

The Hudson Wang/Gunboat fiasco was a good case in point. After the ugly demise of Gunboat, why did the press and forums lambast Johnstone?

Hudson's factory built those boats and the ones he introduced shortly thereafter under his own name were nothing but Gunboat knock-offs. And even crazier, why would buyers supposedly line up then to buy them? 

11 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

PJ a good guy?

I am not a friend of his as I have only spoken with him a few times about an issue not germane to this thread.

Given the circumstances, he could have easily told me to fuck off as the timing was just after his world came crashing down.

He was open, honest and hospitable.

I haven't met too many people that have been screwed royally then publicly humiliated. But he was more than happy to talk.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

"Stainless Steel" seems to be very approximate, in the PRC export market. But the worst offenses land in US collaborateur's hands. Y G W Y P F

Agree.

But when you sign a deal with detailed specs on the type of ss and it is replaced with something entirely different, you can't blame the consumer or dealer.

Blame resides with who built it and who owns the factory.

And the biggest problem with buying a Chinese made boat? If you do get a POS, then you have absolutely no recourse in the Chinese banana republic courts.

They will fuck you over a second time if you can even find a judge who will even listen to it.

8 minutes ago, Tony Comstock said:

We-Cater-to-White-Trade-Only-FSDM2.jpg

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

images (1).jpg

Dude, this is some seriously fucked-up shit.

I have never ratted out a single person in my life. But I suppose there is a first time for everything.

This has been reported to the Ed and I sure as fuck hope it disappears along with your sick ass for a long time.

This kind of crap has no business anywhere, let alone SA.

I can't remember the last time when I was shocked, nauseous and speechless all at the same time.

1 hour ago, Parma said:

I wouldn't lay my politics on them, but I might question the quality of jthe build. A factory visit would definitely be a part of buying "made in China"

I wouldn’t visit an overseas factory for a production boat. A commission, definitely. Been to the Melges factory to pick up an E scow and they do great work but the appearance of the facility would possibly scare an inexperienced customer out of a build. The Fareast factory looks much newer and automated by comparison from the website and videos of the factory.

38 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Agree.

But when you sign a deal with detailed specs on the type of ss and it is replaced with something entirely different, you can't blame the consumer or dealer.

Blame resides with who built it and who owns the factory.

And the biggest problem with buying a Chinese made boat? If you do get a POS, then you have absolutely no recourse in the Chinese banana republic courts.

They will fuck you over a second time if you can even find a judge who will even listen to it.

Job shop = American marketing company pretends unaccountable but really?

This job shop issue cleared up quickly on Japan as named companirs under own name.

Jere in US it is all hidden vehind 'True Value' and etc. But I blame the importers. They should know better.

20 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Dude, this is some seriously fucked-up shit.

I have never ratted out a single person in my life. But I suppose there is a first time for everything.

This has been reported to the Ed and I sure as fuck hope it disappears along with your sick ass for a long time.

This kind of crap has no business anywhere, let alone SA.

I can't remember the last time when I was shocked, nauseous and speechless all at the same time.

Sorry, guys.

I am out of here.

Yes, this thread has gotten rough and some believe it belongs in PA. However, I still contend SS is two very distinct people and should not have access to the FP.

I am 63 years old and thought I have seen and heard everything in my travels through life. But what has just happened here isn't remotely funny, edgy, relevant or remotely true.

This is human behavior at its absolute worst and I have no desire to be a member of anything if this kind of shit is tolerated.

Yup

If you are thinking of spending big money for a boat over there.....

1. Make sure that the factory is actively managed by employees from the west.

2. If they are running three shifts, make sure a western manager is on duty during the graveyard.

But OW.....my impression is that you are very anti westerners who choose to work in China. This is what you said about them

A word about ex-pats living in China (not Hong Kong) full time.

The vast majority of them have failed in western society and arrive broke. They can rent apartments easily and get credit from many of the large online retailers as there are no credit bureaus there. They are a joke to the educated Chinese.

Many of them have found a way to slither into medium sized factories that need a western face to make them appear to be bigger.

The vast majority are nothing more than grifters.

If you are doing business there and one prairie dogs himself into the negotiations, he is there to not only screw you but the company that employs him.

24 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

This is human behavior at its absolute worst and I have no desire to be a member of anything if this kind of shit is tolerated.

You mean political discussion in a sailing forum? I agree

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I wouldn’t visit an overseas factory for a production boat. A commission, definitely. Been to the Melges factory to pick up an E scow and they do great work but the appearance of the facility would possibly scare an inexperienced customer out of a build. The Fareast factory looks much newer and automated by comparison from the website and videos of the factory.

You should if you are looking at production boats in China.

Of course, there is no need if you are dealing with a builder that has an established track record and is represented in the U.S.

I wouldn't make the trip to Fareast unless I was already in the general vicinity for something else.

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

Job shop = American marketing company pretends unaccountable but really?

This job shop issue cleared up quickly on Japan as named companirs under own name.

Jere in US it is all hidden vehind 'True Value' and etc. But I blame the importers. They should know better.

Yup.

But from a legal perspective, the actual manufacturer and the importer are both on the hook.

As mentioned before, Hudson Wang was building gas grills that exploded and were sold by Lowes/Home Depot. In that case, the retailer was called out but the feds and lawsuits headed east to Hudson.

He had two choices. Tell the feds to fuck off or recall the trash. If he told the feds to screw off, he would have been banned from selling all the other shit he makes and sells here.

21 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Okay.

That didn't take long at all.

Thanks to the Ed and Clean.

Tony and his rotten posts are gone.

Shall we continue?

His post is still visible on your post upthread. You can hide the post if you want.

1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

But OW.....my impression is that you are very anti westerners who choose to work in China. This is what you said about them

A word about ex-pats living in China (not Hong Kong) full time.

The vast majority of them have failed in western society and arrive broke. They can rent apartments easily and get credit from many of the large online retailers as there are no credit bureaus there. They are a joke to the educated Chinese.

Many of them have found a way to slither into medium sized factories that need a western face to make them appear to be bigger.

The vast majority are nothing more than grifters.

If you are doing business there and one prairie dogs himself into the negotiations, he is there to not only screw you but the company that employs him.

Gawd. you are really a fucking moron.

You quote my post and then accuse me of something completely different?

I realize you are either young or have some form of learning impairment.

So re-read my quote. I was plainly speaking about ex-pats that move there without a job or a dime in their pocket. Not people that were hired to work on a project that lived in a different country. One is a freeloader, the other, a leech.

I am tired dealing with you and your brother AJ. All you two do is fly in here, fart and fly away. I see no humor in it and the vast majority of readers will think the same.

The next time you do so, you will be awarded an appropriate meme. Assuming I can figure out how to do it.

Shoo little trolls.

1 minute ago, Sail4beer said:

His post is still visible on your post upthread. You can hide the post if you want.

Hi Beer!

I am going to leave it so readers can see what transpired.

If folks want it gone, I will gladly oblige.

1 hour ago, fan said:

You mean political discussion in a sailing forum? I agree

Dude, really?

You equate Tony's post to the fact YOU believe this thread belongs in PA?

Guess what, you are just as pathetic as he is.

It’s ok by me. I have a “No Irish need apply” sign upstairs to remind me of how far we have come and how far to go. Issues are with individuals, not races.

7 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Gawd. you are really a fucking moron.

You quote my post and then accuse me of something completely different?

I realize you are either young or have some form of learning impairment.

So re-read my quote. I was plainly speaking about ex-pats that move there without a job or a dime in their pocket. Not people that were hired to work on a project that lived in a different country. One is a freeloader, the other, a leech.

I am tired dealing with you and your brother AJ. All you two do is fly in here, fart and fly away. I see no humor in it and the vast majority of readers will think the same.

The next time you do so, you will be awarded an appropriate meme. Assuming I can figure out how to do it.

Shoo little trolls.

OWS,

My post was serious and you should reply clearly.

You are continuously appearing to contradict yourself on your opinion on westerner ex-pats who work in China. Here is your chance to clear it up.

In this post you say all expats are either freeloaders or leech's.

I was plainly speaking about ex-pats that move there without a job or a dime in their pocket. Not people that were hired to work on a project that lived in a different country. One is a freeloader, the other, a leech.

In another post you have written that westeners who choose to live in China "have no spine".

In the earlier post that I quoted you described them as "a joke", "grifters" or "prairie dogs".

Then you say, only buy from factories supervised by a westener ex-pat.

So what are you trying to say?  Are you trying to say most ex-pats in China are useless slime balls but there are a few good ones?

SS seems like a good guy to me.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

OWS,

My post was serious and you should reply clearly.

You are continuously appearing to contradict yourself on your opinion on westerner ex-pats who work in China. Here is your chance to clear it up.

In this post you say all expats are either freeloaders or leech's.

I was plainly speaking about ex-pats that move there without a job or a dime in their pocket. Not people that were hired to work on a project that lived in a different country. One is a freeloader, the other, a leech.

In another post you have written that westeners who choose to live in China "have no spine".

In the earlier post that I quoted you described them as "a joke", "grifters" or "prairie dogs".

Then you say, only buy from factories supervised by a westener ex-pat.

So what are you trying to say?  Are you trying to say most ex-pats in China are useless slime balls but there are a few good ones?

SS seems like a good guy to me.

Dude, I could give a flying fuck about whether you think I "should reply more clearly".

And I sure do not give a shit about your relationship with SS1 and SS2.

All you have done is cut and pasted comments from multiple threads. You are a lazy fuck because you cannot take the time to read and understand them.

This is your problem, not mine.

Therefore, I will no longer respond to you as well as your brother AJ. You both are now in my new club:

Anarchists Anonymous

And this is your logo:

• Downvote 1
30 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

It’s ok by me. I have a “No Irish need apply” sign upstairs to remind me of how far we have come and how far to go. Issues are with individuals, not races.

Indeed.

I can remember back in the day, my grandfather would take me on his monthly rounds of Boston bars and fundraise for the IRA.

He wouldn't talk to me for months when I showed up at his place with a Unite Ireland t-shirt on it.

My dad took a verbal beating from him but all he said to me was to not worry about it and wear the shirt with pride.

Good lord, was just doing the math. That was over 50 years ago!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Warning: Our nearly returned poster is easily offended.  as Eva Dent

And you get to join AJ and Eyesore in AA as well. I shall name you 30,000 Posts.

Instead of sharting and leaving, why not share something relevant to the thread? 

Nah, you can't do that can you?

Away little troll.

My grandmother came over in 1903 when she was 16 as an indentured servant for 7 years and her sister the same 5 years later. They never spoke Gallic around us or told us anything about their homeland. They just wanted my mother and later us to fly under the radar and not be subject to the hate they grew up with for being a certain race/ethnicity.

2 hours ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Dude, really?

You equate Tony's post to the fact YOU believe this thread belongs in PA?

Guess what, you are just as pathetic as he is.

"Indeed.

I can remember back in the day, my grandfather would take me on his monthly rounds of Boston bars and fundraise for the IRA.

He wouldn't talk to me for months when I showed up at his place with a Unite Ireland t-shirt on it.

My dad took a verbal beating from him but all he said to me was to not worry about it and wear the shirt with pride.

Good lord, was just doing the math. That was over 50 years ago!"

Yes clearly this all about sailing not politics I was so very wrong.    I thought you were "Out of here" anyway. Liar

5 hours ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Dude, I could give a flying fuck about whether you think I "should reply more clearly".

And I sure do not give a shit about your relationship with SS1 and SS2.

All you have done is cut and pasted comments from multiple threads. You are a lazy fuck because you cannot take the time to read and understand them.

This is your problem, not mine.

Therefore, I will no longer respond to you as well as your brother AJ. You both are now in my new club:

Anarchists Anonymous

And this is your logo:

You really are a piece of work, blowing shit all over anyone that pushes back on your crusade. You are even making AJ appear like a reasonable person.

I was trying to stay out of this crap shoot. Your attack on SS was just a biased piece of slander, a nasty piece based on a couple of bits and then blown out of proportion. I certainly don't particularly like the CCP, I also find that SS sometimes sticks up for them a bit much for my taste. At the same time, he has made it his home, so it is hard to deny him the right to defend the place. On the other hand, he does have some interesting points of view on sailing, both in China and elsewhere. 

As for your attack on Eyesailor, just typical of the sort of arsehole you are. You bleated on about some other poster being impolite and offending your sensitive soul, then dump on one of the nice guys for asking a perfectly reasonable question.

You called all the ex-pats in China either freeloaders or leeches. What a broad stroke you paint with. So which was I? Did I know some, fuck yeah, but even the worst was a better person than you. You are just bitter and full of hate. You go on about decency, yet only demand it of others. Just another sanctimonious prick who thinks they are amazing.

I would happily have a beer with SS or Eyesailor. You, wouldn't waste my time.

• Like 1

@OneWorldSailing - Gunboat was being built by Hudson at the time which reinforces your earlier comments. He is not a man I would like to do business with.

14 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I think they were going for that WWI Naval camo look…

I have to admit that my Fareast28R is a very solid, well built boat and there is no rust on the stainless after 6 years. The fabric companionway cover didn’t last too long in the sun though. The plastic replacement will hold up.

I am not a powerboat fan but if you look at the 'cammo look' it is prevelant in larger powerboats wherever they are built - take a look at recent Ferretti models for example.

For those not in the know, it is SOP for builds of a significant monetary value to have, not only a yard employed dedicated project manager but the prospective owner often employs either a full time project manager f his own or arranges regular 'in build' surveys - by an independent survey team - of such a vessel, particularly of those parts of the build that may be covered up and never see the light of day once other fittings and furniture is fitted over them - it is factored in as part of their cost. 

The upside down vessel was caused by a) a fundamental flaw of an inadequate ballast ratio which was added to by the "trip round the bay" charter dramatically overloading the boat and all his passengers crowding one side of the boat and over it went. 

On FarEast? Their early mast failures would have caused board level meetings at the likes of Bennyslow.

Note the novel way they secure the main shroud attachments with the absence of a backing plate.

They have been more successful in other areas but the finish does leave a lot to be desired at times and perhaps they could use more sealant on their windows?

926728913_MainShroudattachmentsthroughdeckandhull-wouldyoutrustthem-02(2).JPG

Good FE workmanship on window - NOT.JPG

• Like 1

Wow what a lot of nonsense on this topic. I am one of those useless expats that has worked in Asia and mostly China for 21 years.  Every year I have been pushed to improve my management skills by a challenging and dynamic environment. I am a better manager now than then. The Chinese don't take any prisoners in business. But many work incredibly hard to improve themselves. In every facet of industry I have brushed against the improvements have been dramatic. The boat industry is no exception. I bought a sailboat from Beneteau that is still not ready after 3 months with a long list of stupid issues. My neighbour in the Marina bought a Far East that was ready in 3 days and obviously has a good build quality.  It is very embarrassing. 

Seems that the only defense  for many against China at the moment is attack. Maybe people would gain some insight by trying to understand why they dominate sales around the world and why the kids of the businessmen fill schools and universities worldwide.

Incidentally  Shanghai sailor is not a Chinese bot. He is a curmudgeonly pipe smoking ancient Scotsman.  But he has done a huge amount for the sailing scene here which is still in its infancy. He even bought my old boat to allow more young people to experience  J70 racing. 

• Like 3
On 7/13/2021 at 2:26 AM, OneWorldSailing said:

You really are stupid for being a self proclaimed professor. Man, I feel sorry for the kids that had to put up with you.

China has been and still is a third world country. And that will not be changing any time soon.

Have you ever visited the rural areas of China?

They live in squalor. There is no internet. There is no cell service. There is no running water or sewer systems. Most do not even have electricity.

And do you know how much 12,588 yuan is worth? About $150 a month or $1,800 a year U.S..

And how much does an iPhone cost in China?

Peddle this bullshit elsewhere.

Not true.  Cheap shot. I work a lot in China`s rural.comminities and extensive cellphone coverage and the internet along with 3 wheel electric trucks that allows them to trade beyond their village has revolutionized the life of farmers. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, fan said:

"Indeed.

Good lord, was just doing the math. That was over 50 years ago!"

Yes clearly this all about sailing not politics I was so very wrong.    I thought you were "Out of here" anyway. Liar

I did not originate this discussion, only responded to the person who did.

And if you bothered to read just a few posts above, I resumed posting after a race baiting asshole was tossed from the site.

I haven't lied about a single thing here.

How old are you anyways? Your post sounds like you are 10 years old. If that is the case, you should not be here and worse, posting.

If you are not, then you are a troll with nothing relevant to add to a discussion.

Consider yourself IGNORED as far as I am concerned.

2 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

Not true.  Cheap shot. I work a lot in China`s rural.comminities and extensive cellphone coverage and the internet along with 3 wheel electric trucks that allows them to trade beyond their village has revolutionized the life of farmers. 

I am assuming you are lazy like most of us and do not read every post going into a large thread.

So let's set the stage for continued discussion so I can learn more about you and vice versa.

I would like to believe I have a pretty unique perspective on China. If not unique, I am certainly more qualified to call out bullshit when I see it.

I have spent 20 years doing business in China and Asia. Some of those years I ended up living in a hotel for six to seven months at a time.

I met my wife there and we still have a home which has sat empty since 2018.

50% of my family is Chinese. The vast majority are college educated. My wife and her mother were both university professors. Others hold mid to upper level management white collar jobs.

I have degrees in Marketing and Economics.

I do not speak Chinese. Haven't even attempted to. I know enough to swear and say please, thank you and cheers.  One of the reasons I didn't bother learning Chinese is because there are 100's, if not more, different dialects. I have been in situations where even my wife (who taught Chinese history) couldn't completely understand people in any given city.

My wife loves to travel the country from a historical perspective. So I have ended up in some pretty strange places.

Back in 2018, we were asked by a couple that I met through my wife to spend the Spring Festival ( Chinese New Year) in a rural farm town that the husband of the couple was raised in. He is the manager of a large steel factory.

I immediately said sure. After we got back home, my wife said that I needed to think more about the trip. She said somewhat jokingly that there would be no western hotels, no stink pots (sit-down toilets) and very few restaurants.

I wasn't that concerned because I assumed it wouldn't be that much different than some of the places we visited in the past.

So we all piled into the car and headed off on the big adventure. She was right and I was actually shocked at where we ended up and what I encountered.

The people of China are wonderful and I have said that before in this thread. I have always been treated with a combination of curiosity and warmness.

I am not sure how Qing (the author of this post) can honestly say that I took a cheap shot.

There was one community water well for this village. Simply a spigot coming out of the ground. There was no septic system. You squat over a hole in the ground and did your business. There was no internet but most of the houses had electricity.

There wasn't a paved street. And when it rained, those dirt streets turned to small streams and rivers. Small puddles turned into small ponds.

Towards the end of our stay, all hell broke loose. There was a woman running and screaming around the neighborhood. My wife and her friend went outside to find out what was wrong. They came back and said one of her children was missing.

Eventually, most of the village was out looking for a small girl. She wasn't found that day or the next.

About three days later, she was found once some of the water had run off or dried. The kid was playing in a puddle that increased in size during the rain and drowned in it.

Granted, this can happen anywhere at any time.

But don't tell me I am taking a cheap shot at China.

If you have been there 20 years, you should know that once you get in a vehicle and leave any city there, things go downhill very quickly.

And if you have taken the train from one large city to another, you are most certainly aware of what sits in-between.

Additionally, if you are an ex-pat, then you also should be honest and tell the folks here that China is indeed a third world country. Hong Kong is not third world. But that's not China.

Let's talk about their toxic food chain.

Take a stroll over to any Walmart there and head directly to the meat department.

You will be greeted by huge piles of beef, chicken, mutton and god know what else just thrown on to tables. None of it is wrapped, all at room temperature, covered in flies. People simply take their hands and dive in to look for whatever body part that they are looking for.

There are no steaks, no ground or minced beef. Just pieces of crudely cut parts of carcasses.

Even McDonalds cannot keep its produce and protein vendors in line. There was one year it literally fell apart. Both their chicken and produce vendors were caught by video for unsanitary handling of their products. There were no chicken sammies for months and my Big Mac was bun, meat, cheese and special sauce. Nothing else.

I could go on for weeks telling these stories. They are not old news. They continue today.

The wet markets remain open. The infamous one in Wuhan reopened while the city was still in quarantine. And perhaps you would like to tell us when the kids were actually allowed to go back to school.

You can still go to most major cities and visit a restaurant that proudly serves up horse, donkey, dogs, cats, rats and complete heads of a monkey. They exist in every city from Beijing to the furnace cities like Nanchang. In some you can even select the poor creature before its life is snuffed out before your eyes.

Some will defend the practice as "cultural". No, it's third world and it is simply revolting. Will this stop? Not outside the cities. But the last few generations of college educated kids won't touch it. Even if its on a stick.

Finally, and more importantly......

Having spent 20 years communicating with the Chinese by email, phone or in person, it is easy to determine when English is being used as a second language.

I deal with it daily with my wife and their family.

So when folks come on to forums and profess to be one thing yet communicate in another, I guard goes up,

There is no doubt in my mind that there are two people using the SS screen name. Just look at the posts in this thread and others over the past. One is Chinese and the other is from the west.

I can also say the same about you. Before I make an accusation, I always go back and look at how one communicates over a period of time. You use the same truncated English that I have seen a million times. In fact, didn't someone call you out for exactly that in another thread about your new boat?

Honestly, I do not give a rat's ass where you are from or what you do. Why not skip the false pretense and join in based on who you, SSI and SS2 actually are.

One world, you are clearly in a manic state and should get with your psychiatrist before it gets worse. The guy who got booted did not get booted fir anything he did in this thread btw. He got booted because he is also manic depressive and his sock was escalating to an unsafe mental state, in other words to keep him from doing something Very Bad. 

it appears you are approaching a similar state, with similar signposts. If you list the medications you have been prescribed over the past few years, someone here may be able to help…

Ok, original poster got a little too excited here…

But for comparison: how do you call somebody who deliberately lives in a dictatorship, profits from that dictatorship, permanently downplays the crimes of that dictatorship, and - like almost everybody who does so - describes himself as “unpolitical” ? 

There’s an Australian word for such people I think. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

Wow what a lot of nonsense on this topic. I am one of those useless expats that has worked in Asia and mostly China for 21 years.  Every year I have been pushed to improve my management skills by a challenging and dynamic environment. I am a better manager now than then. The Chinese don't take any prisoners in business. But many work incredibly hard to improve themselves. In every facet of industry I have brushed against the improvements have been dramatic. The boat industry is no exception. I bought a sailboat from Beneteau that is still not ready after 3 months with a long list of stupid issues. My neighbour in the Marina bought a Far East that was ready in 3 days and obviously has a good build quality.  It is very embarrassing. 

Seems that the only defense  for many against China at the moment is attack. Maybe people would gain some insight by trying to understand why they dominate sales around the world and why the kids of the businessmen fill schools and universities worldwide.

Incidentally  Shanghai sailor is not a Chinese bot. He is a curmudgeonly pipe smoking ancient Scotsman.  But he has done a huge amount for the sailing scene here which is still in its infancy. He even bought my old boat to allow more young people to experience  J70 racing. 

10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

One world, you are clearly in a manic state and should get with your psychiatrist before it gets worse. The guy who got booted did not get booted fir anything he did in this thread btw. He got booted because he is also manic depressive and his sock was escalating to an unsafe mental state, in other words to keep him from doing something Very Bad. 

it appears you are approaching a similar state, with similar signposts. If you list the medications you have been prescribed over the past few years, someone here may be able to help…

Clean-

Take off those shades.

You guys were scammed and you know it.

And you are being scammed by another right now.

I thought you were a lawyer? Did you also get a degree in psychiatry as well?

As I stated in the beginning, I would gladly stop if the Ed  requested me to. I know you shut down Tony as I watched you do it. It is your playpen.

But let's be honest.

You are uncomfortable with this thread for a completely different reason.

This thread was moving in a direction that was getting uncomfortable for a lot of people in this industry.

I don't blame you for wanting to put water on the fire.

But to wave the dementia flag is pretty disappointing.

So yes, I am off like a prom dress. And I won't be back in another ten years.

All the best.

29 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Ok, original poster got a little too excited here…

But for comparison: how do you call somebody who deliberately lives in a dictatorship, profits from that dictatorship, permanently downplays the crimes of that dictatorship, and - like almost everybody who does so - describes himself as “unpolitical” ? 

There’s an Australian word for such people I think. 

The Vietnamese had some choice words for collaborateurs during the French period...

On 7/9/2021 at 6:57 PM, Kate short for Bob said:

Why do you continue to ignore that no zoonotic host has been found for ground zero Covid-19 and there is a considerable unexplained gap in the genomic evolution of Covid-19?

Surely as you infer that the most likely source of Covid-19 was a zoonotic transfer from bats through an intermediary there would be an easily identifiable natural chain of evidence.

Ebola doesn't have a clear host at this point either. Your LACK of evidence is not EVIDENCE.  Christ.  Getting really sick of your conspiracy theory crap.  We don't *KNOW* what animal it really comes from (or what lab).

Your continued assertion that it must be a lab is just stupidity.

You can still go to most major cities and visit a restaurant that proudly serves up horse, donkey, dogs, cats, rats and complete heads of a monkey. They exist in every city from Beijing to the furnace cities like Nanchang. In some you can even select the poor creature before its life is snuffed out before your eyes.

I got news for you boyo.  Meat is meet.  Cooked right, most of it is pretty good.  You're letting your cultural bias intrude on your sense and acting superior about it.  Reminds me of the Christian missionaries.  "One World" is a bit of an ironic name for you.

I see you didn't bother mentioning insects, snakes, and other wildlife.  I'd hate to think what you'd say about me if you saw the possum we killed that my kid skinned in the back yard and we ate.  Had to remove it because it was ruining our shed.  And guess what.  We're here in the good ole' USA, and we're not red necks.  We just don't believe in killing and throwing away.

Didn't taste good, FYI.  Probably wouldn't do it again unless I fed and raised the possum myself.  Will probably feed the next one to the dogs so it doesn't go to waste.

Right, nothing redneck about that post.

• Like 1

Hope you removed and buried the eyes facing up so it can’t watch you.

That’s what they say to do in the redneck cookbook…

I was out buffing the Fareast28R and the mailman drove by with a big smile and a wave and a thumbs up when he passed again. He is Chinese and probably doesn’t know anything about the boat but knows I am working on something on a hot day and he’s friendly like just about everyone around the world. It’s great to see him living his life and making me feel a little proud of my Chinese built boat by acknowledging me at all.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:53 PM, Parma said:

It's not really political though. What we need is a new forum "Insults Anarchy".

UUUUUhhhhhh That's just SA...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Keith said:

Right, nothing redneck about that post.

Take your beer swilling hockey playing poutine eating ass back to Canadistan.  :lol:

5 hours ago, OneWorldSailing said:

I am assuming you are lazy like most of us and do not read every post going into a large thread.

So let's set the stage for continued discussion so I can learn more about you and vice versa.

I would like to believe I have a pretty unique perspective on China. If not unique, I am certainly more qualified to call out bullshit when I see it.

I have spent 20 years doing business in China and Asia. Some of those years I ended up living in a hotel for six to seven months at a time.

I met my wife there and we still have a home which has sat empty since 2018.

50% of my family is Chinese. The vast majority are college educated. My wife and her mother were both university professors. Others hold mid to upper level management white collar jobs.

I have degrees in Marketing and Economics.

I do not speak Chinese. Haven't even attempted to. I know enough to swear and say please, thank you and cheers.  One of the reasons I didn't bother learning Chinese is because there are 100's, if not more, different dialects. I have been in situations where even my wife (who taught Chinese history) couldn't completely understand people in any given city.

My wife loves to travel the country from a historical perspective. So I have ended up in some pretty strange places.

Back in 2018, we were asked by a couple that I met through my wife to spend the Spring Festival ( Chinese New Year) in a rural farm town that the husband of the couple was raised in. He is the manager of a large steel factory.

I immediately said sure. After we got back home, my wife said that I needed to think more about the trip. She said somewhat jokingly that there would be no western hotels, no stink pots (sit-down toilets) and very few restaurants.

I wasn't that concerned because I assumed it wouldn't be that much different than some of the places we visited in the past.

So we all piled into the car and headed off on the big adventure. She was right and I was actually shocked at where we ended up and what I encountered.

The people of China are wonderful and I have said that before in this thread. I have always been treated with a combination of curiosity and warmness.

I am not sure how Qing (the author of this post) can honestly say that I took a cheap shot.

There was one community water well for this village. Simply a spigot coming out of the ground. There was no septic system. You squat over a hole in the ground and did your business. There was no internet but most of the houses had electricity.

There wasn't a paved street. And when it rained, those dirt streets turned to small streams and rivers. Small puddles turned into small ponds.

Towards the end of our stay, all hell broke loose. There was a woman running and screaming around the neighborhood. My wife and her friend went outside to find out what was wrong. They came back and said one of her children was missing.

Eventually, most of the village was out looking for a small girl. She wasn't found that day or the next.

About three days later, she was found once some of the water had run off or dried. The kid was playing in a puddle that increased in size during the rain and drowned in it.

Granted, this can happen anywhere at any time.

But don't tell me I am taking a cheap shot at China.

If you have been there 20 years, you should know that once you get in a vehicle and leave any city there, things go downhill very quickly.

And if you have taken the train from one large city to another, you are most certainly aware of what sits in-between.

Additionally, if you are an ex-pat, then you also should be honest and tell the folks here that China is indeed a third world country. Hong Kong is not third world. But that's not China.

Let's talk about their toxic food chain.

Take a stroll over to any Walmart there and head directly to the meat department.

You will be greeted by huge piles of beef, chicken, mutton and god know what else just thrown on to tables. None of it is wrapped, all at room temperature, covered in flies. People simply take their hands and dive in to look for whatever body part that they are looking for.

There are no steaks, no ground or minced beef. Just pieces of crudely cut parts of carcasses.

Even McDonalds cannot keep its produce and protein vendors in line. There was one year it literally fell apart. Both their chicken and produce vendors were caught by video for unsanitary handling of their products. There were no chicken sammies for months and my Big Mac was bun, meat, cheese and special sauce. Nothing else.

I could go on for weeks telling these stories. They are not old news. They continue today.

The wet markets remain open. The infamous one in Wuhan reopened while the city was still in quarantine. And perhaps you would like to tell us when the kids were actually allowed to go back to school.

Some will defend the practice as "cultural". No, it's third world and it is simply revolting. Will this stop? Not outside the cities. But the last few generations of college educated kids won't touch it. Even if its on a stick.

Finally, and more importantly......

Having spent 20 years communicating with the Chinese by email, phone or in person, it is easy to determine when English is being used as a second language.

I deal with it daily with my wife and their family.

So when folks come on to forums and profess to be one thing yet communicate in another, I guard goes up,

There is no doubt in my mind that there are two people using the SS screen name. Just look at the posts in this thread and others over the past. One is Chinese and the other is from the west.

I can also say the same about you. Before I make an accusation, I always go back and look at how one communicates over a period of time. You use the same truncated English that I have seen a million times. In fact, didn't someone call you out for exactly that in another thread about your new boat?

Honestly, I do not give a rat's ass where you are from or what you do. Why not skip the false pretense and join in based on who you, SSI and SS2 actually are.

More biased shit from you. I guess you never visited the back blocks of Hong Kong. Some of the living conditions in the NT are as basic as any I have seen in China, and I lived in what was considered a rural area in the mid 90's. Your crap about meat in department stores is also just bullshit. I used to buy NZ steak and lamb, all the normal cuts were available. Of course if you go back to lady century, makes me feel old, you couldn't get much at all. Even basics like dairy products where hard to find.

Then you go on about the wet markets. The butchery is certainly basic and the hygiene not the best, at the same time I never got sick as it was fresh(ish). The part you conveniently omitted was that refrigeratoration is/was uncommon. Like most of Asia, or any still developing country, food is purchased and cooked that day. The live food, chickens, rabbits, cats, snakes etc where just a way to keep them fresh. I would choose what I wanted, they would kill and prep it, shove it in a bag and I would go cook it. Is it different to our pristine, covered in plastic shit, certainly. Does it offend some western dickwads, certainly. Is it sensible for safety and food preservation, certainly.

As for your bleating about the racist poster and his pics, you once again failed in comprehension. He was pointing out that you were coming across as a Chinese hater and thought you might like them.

In the end you just come across as some wanker who stayed in a Chinese Holiday Inn for up to seven months, married a Chinese lady who was happy to accept you for a way out and now know everything about a country where you can't even speak the language. :lol: I have certainly met your type and the Chinese love you. Behind your back they laugh at the ignorant westerner and rip you off in ways you will never know, all while smiling to your face. The way you come across here your wife probably joins in.

14 hours ago, Gissie said:

More biased shit from you. I guess you never visited the back blocks of Hong Kong. Some of the living conditions in the NT are as basic as any I have seen in China, and I lived in what was considered a rural area in the mid 90's. Your crap about meat in department stores is also just bullshit. I used to buy NZ steak and lamb, all the normal cuts were available. Of course if you go back to lady century, makes me feel old, you couldn't get much at all. Even basics like dairy products where hard to find.

Then you go on about the wet markets. The butchery is certainly basic and the hygiene not the best, at the same time I never got sick as it was fresh(ish). The part you conveniently omitted was that refrigeratoration is/was uncommon. Like most of Asia, or any still developing country, food is purchased and cooked that day. The live food, chickens, rabbits, cats, snakes etc where just a way to keep them fresh. I would choose what I wanted, they would kill and prep it, shove it in a bag and I would go cook it. Is it different to our pristine, covered in plastic shit, certainly. Does it offend some western dickwads, certainly. Is it sensible for safety and food preservation, certainly.

As for your bleating about the racist poster and his pics, you once again failed in comprehension. He was pointing out that you were coming across as a Chinese hater and thought you might like them.

In the end you just come across as some wanker who stayed in a Chinese Holiday Inn for up to seven months, married a Chinese lady who was happy to accept you for a way out and now know everything about a country where you can't even speak the language. :lol: I have certainly met your type and the Chinese love you. Behind your back they laugh at the ignorant westerner and rip you off in ways you will never know, all while smiling to your face. The way you come across here your wife probably joins in.

20 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Ebola doesn't have a clear host at this point either. Your LACK of evidence is not EVIDENCE.  Christ.  Getting really sick of your conspiracy theory crap.  We don't *KNOW* what animal it really comes from (or what lab).

Your continued assertion that it must be a lab is just stupidity.

He uses the same definition of 'Facts' as his former president methinks

23 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

How much did they take you for? Even a vivid imagination can't make this shit up.

No Holiday Inn for me:

Hong Kong: Peninsula

Beijing: Beijing Hilton

Shanghai: W-Shanghai-Bund

My wife's family doesn't need my money. They very well may have more than I.

My wife had no interest in moving to the states, nor does she want U.S. citizenship. She has been here for six years and simply has a green card. 

9 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

He uses the same definition of 'Facts' as his former president methinks

Enlighten us. You live there.

My wife is from Wuhan. The folks in that city are certainly in agreement where it came from. Granted, they will never say it publicly.

20 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

My wife had no interest in moving to the states, nor does she want U.S. citizenship. She has been here for six years and simply has a green card. 

So your wife liked living in China?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, IPLore said:

So your wife liked living in China?

She loves China, it's people and history.

The government, not so much.

Professors in the top Chinese universities are expected to become a party member at a certain point in their career.

Most just swallow that pill and move on. She refused and it created a lot of problems for her.

5 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

She loves China, it's people and history.

The government, not so much.

Edit :   She sounds like a sound person.     

Over here approx half the people dont like the government approximately half the time.....but we acknowledge that it is a privilege that we get to chose our government.

Just now, IPLore said:

I would find it very hard not living in a democracy .    However that is true for people who live in the USA. We love our country but approximately half the people dislike the government approximately half the time. 

Totally agree.

15 hours ago, Gissie said:

Oh dear Gissie, for someone who claims to know so much about China, OneWorldSailing is so far off the mark most of the time it is embarrassing to be another laowei. His comments are ill informed drivel and i see he is still banging on about me not being who I state I am. He needs to be careful or the men inthe white coats willbe knocking on his door.  writing about here. I have never been in a Walmart, Carrefour, Bravo or any of the large chains where the meat is not fresh, where the fish are not on beds of ice in exactly the same way they are in supermarkets back in the UK. Live produce is rare other than the likes of fish or prawns and I completely agree what could be fresher than putting chicken flesh on the stove KNOWING it was living and breathing 60-90 minutes before. I have NEVER got sick from eating anything I or my wife purchased at the wet market in the ancient town where we live.

He is still, I see banging on like an old stuck record, that SS1 (god knows who he thinks SS2 is - it is impossible to have a screen name here that someone else has already registered). His assumption that there is two of me shows how little he knows how a web site registration works. Mark you, I shouldn't be at all surprised when his former president still thinks he is returning to the White House in a couple of weeks - he really is a terrible representative of a citizen of the United States.

Your comments about the boondocks of Hong Kong are completely accurate. Many cannot afford the high rise apartments the size of a shoebox because the real estate prices for both purchase AND rental there are through the roof. Not just a HK problem, young  people in Devon & Cornwall and many places in the Scottish Highlands cannot afford their first house because prices have got so high. That and the lack of availability of social housing stock was one of the elements of displeasure amongst the demonstrators in the early days of the protests.

One of the differences between OWS and myself is, as you say he is probably laughed AT while my Chinese friends laugh WITH me.

There is a huge difference between living in a country, as I have for 20 years than merely visiting a country over 20 years as OWS has.

Anyway, perhaps someone with a twisted desire to insult, defame and libel another Anarchist should be pitied more than anything else. I only see what he writes when someone quotes him as I blocked him a long time ago as my responses to is lies were only met by further fabrications and insult. He is one sick puppy. and his presence certainly adds no value to the Sailing Anarchy community.

Think I'll take a break from Anarchy and stay where such unreasonable attacks would be moderated.

See ya n the water

SS (that's the only SS I know of)

10 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Professors in the top Chinese universities are expected to become a party member at a certain point in their career.

Most just swallow that pill and move on. She refused and it created a lot of problems for her.

I was under the impression that party membership was a privilege.  

That it theoretically allows you limited involvement with the limited election process and opportunity to run for local office.  

1 minute ago, IPLore said:

I was under the impression that party membership was a privilege.  

That it theoretically allows you limited involvement with the limited election process and opportunity to run for local office.  

I am sure some would consider it a privilege and others, not so much.

Most of my wife's family are in academia. None of them are party members to my knowledge.

I know her mother sure isn't. She has been arrested multiple times and thrown in prison for voicing her beliefs. She was a professor and was on the ground during the summer of 1984. My wife was a young girl at the time. She was with her mother during one of the arrests. They separated the two and both were tossed in slammer.

8 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

I am sure some would consider it a privilege and others, not so much.

Most of my wife's family are in academia. None of them are party members to my knowledge.

I know her mother sure isn't. She has been arrested multiple times and thrown in prison for voicing her beliefs. She was a professor and was on the ground during the summer of 1984. My wife was a young girl at the time. She was with her mother during one of the arrests. They separated the two and both were tossed in slammer.

1984?

Do you mean 1989, Tiananmen Square etc?

Did something happen in 84?

24 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Oh dear Gissie, for someone who claims to know so much about China, OneWorldSailing is so far off the mark most of the time it is embarrassing to be another laowei. His comments are ill informed drivel and i see he is still banging on about me not being who I state I am. He needs to be careful or the men inthe white coats willbe knocking on his door.  writing about here. I have never been in a Walmart, Carrefour, Bravo or any of the large chains where the meat is not fresh, where the fish are not on beds of ice in exactly the same way they are in supermarkets back in the UK. Live produce is rare other than the likes of fish or prawns and I completely agree what could be fresher than putting chicken flesh on the stove KNOWING it was living and breathing 60-90 minutes before. I have NEVER got sick from eating anything I or my wife purchased at the wet market in the ancient town where we live.

He is still, I see banging on like an old stuck record, that SS1 (god knows who he thinks SS2 is - it is impossible to have a screen name here that someone else has already registered). His assumption that there is two of me shows how little he knows how a web site registration works. Mark you, I shouldn't be at all surprised when his former president still thinks he is returning to the White House in a couple of weeks - he really is a terrible representative of a citizen of the United States.

Your comments about the boondocks of Hong Kong are completely accurate. Many cannot afford the high rise apartments the size of a shoebox because the real estate prices for both purchase AND rental there are through the roof. Not just a HK problem, young  people in Devon & Cornwall and many places in the Scottish Highlands cannot afford their first house because prices have got so high. That and the lack of availability of social housing stock was one of the elements of displeasure amongst the demonstrators in the early days of the protests.

One of the differences between OWS and myself is, as you say he is probably laughed AT while my Chinese friends laugh WITH me.

There is a huge difference between living in a country, as I have for 20 years than merely visiting a country over 20 years as OWS has.

Anyway, perhaps someone with a twisted desire to insult, defame and libel another Anarchist should be pitied more than anything else. I only see what he writes when someone quotes him as I blocked him a long time ago as my responses to is lies were only met by further fabrications and insult. He is one sick puppy. and his presence certainly adds no value to the Sailing Anarchy community.

Think I'll take a break from Anarchy and stay where such unreasonable attacks would be moderated.

See ya n the water

SS (that's the only SS I know of)

I provided the thread with a youtube video of a Walmart. I chose this one because it was made by someone that is Chinese! You choose, there are ton of them to watch.

Other than that, I can barely understand what you are attempting to say.

One does not need two accounts with the same name. You both use the same account.

Even this post is a little suspect. The tone and writing style jump all over the place. And then in the middle you begin this bizarre rant on Trump.

I am curious though. I am pretty current on domestic and world news. What is supposed to happen in two weeks? I must have missed something.

Once again, you swoop in here and attack a writers opinion on the origins of covid.

Since you live there, what is your take on the situation? You never want to answer that question. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

6 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

I provided the thread with a youtube video of a Walmart. I chose this one because it was made by someone that is Chinese! You choose, there are ton of them to watch.

Other than that, I can barely understand what you are attempting to say.

One does not need two accounts with the same name. You both use the same account.

Even this post is a little suspect. The tone and writing style jump all over the place. And then in the middle you begin this bizarre rant on Trump.

I am curious though. I am pretty current on domestic and world news. What is supposed to happen in two weeks? I must have missed something.

Once again, you swoop in here and attack a writers opinion on the origins of covid.

Since you live there, what is your take on the situation? You never want to answer that question. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

The only thing I conclude from the debate between SS and OW is that after spending time in China, people come away with very different impressions.   Some love it and see the things they like (fresh food , good stores, sailing, culture) others dislike it and see the things they dislike (repressive political regime, impoverished villages and unhygienic markets)

It clearly is a provocative place.

There is huge distrust between USA and China.  I do not know how they reach common ground. Only the Chinese can effect change to their political system and they have been enjoying a massive increase in prosperity, so its unlikely there will be much change.

Enlighten us. You live there.

My wife is from Wuhan. The folks in that city are certainly in agreement where it came from. Granted, they will never say it publicly.

I'm curious - do you believe everything 'folks' say, or do you use your own brain to realize that in some cases you'll probably never have evidence either way?

Sometimes, it's worth saying 'fuck it, this really isn't worth the time to figure out' and move on.  Even if it WAS lab released, do you think ANYTHING is going to change in China?

Do people really find it this hard to admit they DON'T know something, and just move the fuck on?

48 minutes ago, IPLore said:

The only thing I conclude from the debate between SS and OW is that after spending time in China, people come away with very different impressions.   Some love it and see the things they like (fresh food , good stores, sailing, culture) others dislike it and see the things they dislike (repressive political regime, impoverished villages and unhygienic markets)

It clearly is a provocative place.

There is huge distrust between USA and China.  I do not know how they reach common ground. Only the Chinese can effect change to their political system and they have been enjoying a massive increase in prosperity, so its unlikely there will be much change.

Hi IP-

The food chain there is toxic from the farm to the plate.

The stores in the large cities are pretty much the same as here with a couple of exceptions like computers. Buying one there (non apple) is truly an experience.

They are sold in "computer malls" and most have no OS. That is an industry all by itself.

Once you lug the machine home, a kid will knock on your door and 15 minutes later it has been installed with bootleg discs. Hand him $10 and the deal is done.

As stated, I have no problems with the people. It also is a beautiful place.

I just gave up trying to make excuses to doing business there.

At least I can look in the mirror again.

You are correct, only the people of China can effect change. It will take something huge for that to happen as they are insulated from most of what their own government does and the fact that they are spoon-fed news from the west.

To be honest, most of the educated just close their eyes to it all. They just want to earn a living and take care of their families.

I do believe there will be a day when we will see another 1984. They have given the younger generations a taste of capitalism and western music, art and fashion. Once you give that away, you are going to have a tough time taking it back.

I think I will have some Chinese noodles and vegetables for lunch.

All this talk about Chinese food (I don't eat much meat, either here in the US or in China) is making me hungry for some yummy snacks.

I'm thinking that this thread could use some good Chinese food recipes to sort it out.

35 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

To be honest, most of the educated just close their eyes to it all. They just want to earn a living and take care of their families.

Happening all over the world. Same happened before each of the world wars, all over the world.

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Have you told us you were leaving for another decade yet today

Clean-

Re-read my quote. Not exactly black or white.

As a moderator, it appears there is no concern for what we have been witnessing.

These guys lie, deflect and attack at will. And now we have a fourth. And all claiming to be ex-pats.

And I continue to challenge their assertions with direct evidence to the contrary and they simply move on to something else.

No one here may give a rats ass on a stick. And that's fine.

Isn't the following part of SA's mission statement?

"If you’re looking to have your comments edited or ignored at the whim of a curmudgeon, then you’ve come to the wrong place. Got an opinion? Let’s hear it. But you better prepare for a healthy dose of reality. This is where the big kids play. If you can’t stand the heat, there are other places for you of the more sensitive in nature.

This site is being produced for the love of the game, not as part of some ridiculous dot com strategy, or a “gee isn’t our sport of yachting so wonderful” philosophy. It is a forum for industry insiders and racing sailors to exchange ideas. We will be continually exploring topics that interest us, and we’ll be looking to the Message Board for the topics that interest you. We encourage your participation here at Sailing Anarchy. Where the hell else are you going to have this much freedom to say what you want? After all, that is ultimately what Anarchy is all about.

Thanks very much,
Scot Tempesta
Editor/Publisher
Sailing Anarchy"

18 minutes ago, Windward said:

I think I will have some Chinese noodles and vegetables for lunch.

All this talk about Chinese food (I don't eat much meat, either here in the US or in China) is making me hungry for some yummy snacks.

I'm thinking that this thread could use some good Chinese food recipes to sort it out.

Yup.

Have never seen a Panda Express over there and doubt I will.

And you will never see a fortune cookie or Orange or General Tso chicken either.

But damn, there is nothing like a whole pig roast in Hong Kong or the massive Beijing (Peking) Duck restaurants in Beijing.

Both are epic and and not to be missed. Especially, the pageant and ceremony surrounding eating one of those ducks.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Clean-

Re-read my quote. Not exactly black or white.

As a moderator, it appears there is no concern for what we have been witnessing.

These guys lie, deflect and attack at will. And now we have a fourth. And all claiming to be ex-pats.

And I continue to challenge their assertions with direct evidence to the contrary and they simply move on to something else.

No one here may give a rats ass on a stick. And that's fine.

Isn't the following part of SA's mission statement?

"If you’re looking to have your comments edited or ignored at the whim of a curmudgeon, then you’ve come to the wrong place. Got an opinion? Let’s hear it. But you better prepare for a healthy dose of reality. This is where the big kids play. If you can’t stand the heat, there are other places for you of the more sensitive in nature.

This site is being produced for the love of the game, not as part of some ridiculous dot com strategy, or a “gee isn’t our sport of yachting so wonderful” philosophy. It is a forum for industry insiders and racing sailors to exchange ideas. We will be continually exploring topics that interest us, and we’ll be looking to the Message Board for the topics that interest you. We encourage your participation here at Sailing Anarchy. Where the hell else are you going to have this much freedom to say what you want? After all, that is ultimately what Anarchy is all about.

Thanks very much,
Scot Tempesta
Editor/Publisher
Sailing Anarchy"

It seems you believe you understand the purposes of this site and/or the Editor, and that you believe the site should be run differently than is his wont.  Good luck with that. How many times have you pledged you are leaving? Is it up to three times a day yet? You have battered spouse disease. 

8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

You have battered spouse disease.

Don't think that is it - he's the one battering most of the rest of us. 

Just now, AJ Oliver said:

Don't think that is it - he's the one battering most of the rest of us. 

That’s not what is happening at all. He’s a guy with obvious mental issues and a clear dissociation with reality and his own assertions. That’s what it means when someone writes “THATS IT IM LEAVING FOREVER” and then posts again in 5 minutes like it never happened.  His wife probably left recently and he is struggling to figure out how to deal with life. 

Hi IP-

The food chain there is toxic from the farm to the plate.

The stores in the large cities are pretty much the same as here with a couple of exceptions like computers. Buying one there (non apple) is truly an experience.

They are sold in "computer malls" and most have no OS. That is an industry all by itself.

Once you lug the machine home, a kid will knock on your door and 15 minutes later it has been installed with bootleg discs. Hand him $10 and the deal is done.

As stated, I have no problems with the people. It also is a beautiful place.

I just gave up trying to make excuses to doing business there.

At least I can look in the mirror again.

You are correct, only the people of China can effect change. It will take something huge for that to happen as they are insulated from most of what their own government does and the fact that they are spoon-fed news from the west.

I do believe there will be a day when we will see another 1984. They have given the younger generations a taste of capitalism and western music, art and fashion. Once you give that away, you are going to have a tough time taking it back.

OWS I hate to jump in again but I need.to comment on the "toxic food chain". I dont know where you got your information from but this is my particular area of knowledge.  I have built two food testing labs in China. All I can say is there has been vast improvement over the last 20 years. Feeding 1.4 billion people  from land that is not generally well suited to farming is a massive challenge and many mistakes have been made but like many things here,the food chain is much less toxic than before and better than many other populous countries

This is a fun topic you started but please can we deal in facts?.We owe it to the people we discuss and cant defend themselves 

• Like 1