So, last month I turned 66, and was supposed to receive SSI in August, but I didn't request it until 30 days before, so now they said it takes 60 days, and I will begin in October??  I don't understand their math, that is 90 days from when I applied, but oh well.  SSI will pay more than my job, so looking forward to that.

Last month, I told my boss I would work another year before I retired.  I relayed that to SWMBO that evening and she said, "No you're not!".   So next day I told my Supervisor that I will stay until they hire my replacement and I have trained him or her.  I'm sure retirement will give me more time to more diligently manage our rentals, as I am pretty laid back, even a bit sloppy at times.  OTOH, I think I still want to do some kind of satisfying work part time, just not having to get up at 6AM, 5 days a week!!   SWMBO says to chillax for six months, and I will figure it out, just like she did.  She spends a lot of time on the gardening, mowing, weeding, cooking, baking and stuff, which she enjoys, but I do not!  

So any thoughts from you who have been there, are greatly appreciated in advance!

Cheers!!

First welcome to the WFDII club (What Fucking Day Is It?).

Suggestions:

1-Put AC on the boat- it is the ultimate man cave!

2-Find something that you like and figure out how to make a little money doing it P/T. Me? I deliver boats. I take jobs of no less than a week and no more than 30 days. It gets me out, and adds to vacation kitty.  I retired at 60 and have been doing it for 6 years now.  

3- Get a list of happy hours (F/K/A early birds).  We eat out 2-3 times a week on the cheap. 

Retirement rocks!!!

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Throw away all your shoes and buy a new pair of flip-flops. If it's too cold outside to wear flip-flops, don't go outside.

Buddy of mine was a med school prof and always wore flip flops to work. I've only seen the guy in shoes once or twice.

16 minutes ago, ropetrick said:

Never do anything outside of the house before 10 am.

7-10 AM is news, coffee and internet time. I fuck off most of the rest of the day.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

So, last month I turned 66, and was supposed to receive SSI in August, but I didn't request it until 30 days before, so now they said it takes 60 days, and I will begin in October??  I don't understand their math, that is 90 days from when I applied, but oh well.  SSI will pay more than my job, so looking forward to that.

Last month, I told my boss I would work another year before I retired.  I relayed that to SWMBO that evening and she said, "No you're not!".   So next day I told my Supervisor that I will stay until they hire my replacement and I have trained him or her.  I'm sure retirement will give me more time to more diligently manage our rentals, as I am pretty laid back, even a bit sloppy at times.  OTOH, I think I still want to do some kind of satisfying work part time, just not having to get up at 6AM, 5 days a week!!   SWMBO says to chillax for six months, and I will figure it out, just like she did.  She spends a lot of time on the gardening, mowing, weeding, cooking, baking and stuff, which she enjoys, but I do not!  

So any thoughts from you who have been there, are greatly appreciated in advance!

Cheers!!

get some girlfriends and say you are going to work

giving support to single moms

Support Single Moms Decal Car Sticker Dirty Sexy Girl Funny JDM Stripper  Euro | eBay

not going to work shall grow OLD Right Away

as she shall become Your Boss

as anything else won't keep her Happy and you Will Pay

Start a business as a Traveling ?????????????????

doesn't matter what

Just Keep your 5/7th of the week Pass to GTFO of the house

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Snore said:

Suggestions:

2-Find something that you like and figure out how to make a little money doing it P/T. Me? I deliver boats. I take jobs of no less than a week and no more than 30 days. It gets me out, and adds to vacation kitty.  I retired at 60 and have been doing it for 6 years now.  

3- Get a list of happy hours (F/K/A early birds).  We eat out 2-3 times a week on the cheap. 

Retirement rocks!!!

Thanks for that, and yes I would be very interested in boat deliveries, which you and I have PM'd about in the past.  Got my 100 ton near coastal sail-auxialiary around 83, when I was running the 65 foot "Boomerang".  Retired from that in '84 and started a new family and new career in Real Estate.  I never received the renewal permit app in '95, so my license went away, without my even realizing it at the time.  I think it is way too much hassle to try and get it again, but tell me if I am wrong about that?  TSA card and random testing for marijuana are requirements, no??  Keep me in mind as a possible Mate on one of your trips, and of course I would expect you to want to meet me in advance to take my measure.

Looking forward to returning to Europe on Star Clipper, small (200 pax) square rigged sailing cruise ships that mostly stop in smaller ports, where the giant 500 or more pax ships cannot go.  We've been to Venice, Croatia, Montenegro, France and Greece, and want to do more of that.  Best trip was watching the Saint Tropez Regatta 3 years ago! Hundreds and hundreds of racing sail boats of all types and sizes; just Avalon, or paradise!

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:

Support Single Moms Decal Car Sticker Dirty Sexy Girl Funny JDM Stripper  Euro | eBay

doesn't matter what

Sorry Woody,  I am just a tad bit too old and mature for Hookers and Blow!  I doubt that Missus BB will become my Boss.  After 36 years of marriage, we get along just fine, and I'm damn sure that will not change. 

The fact that we are selling a couple rental condos on Monday, with non-paying tenants thanks to Covid, that will put her on "fixed income", as in "fixed pretty good", should acquiesce her for quite some time...:D

8 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Buy another boat.  A wood one.  

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

B O A T = Break Out Another Thousand!

W O O D = Wads Of Outrageous Dough!

We have not owned a boat since we sold the Mako 231 some years back.  Would like to get another similar CC for recreational river and LIS use.  Any sailing I do, will be deliveries, or racing on OPB's, after I have my rotator cuff repaired, and get medication for arthritic knees, so I can resume some semblance of agility on a rolling, moving deck...

So Mrs. BB is retired and you're on your way out! Good onya!

Sounds like you've done some traveling and already got the Capt. license/ delivery/ thing behind you, similar to me.  My advice, having accidentally retired at 56 and now just feeling the adverse effects of early onset old age at 69, do whatever energetic things you can think of now, while it's fun and before your standard condition is achy all over.

Travel hard! See more! Eat/ drink everything, despite worrying how much weight you may gain, no one notices us, we're old. You can diet in the winter or go somewhere where skiing is a daily activity to burn it off!

Since retiring I've gradually dropped surfing, tent camping, wooden boat working and sailing, long treks and back packer traveling, XC skiing and biking is getting to be almost not fun. As Leonard Cohen once said..." I ache in the places where I used to play, but I'm crazy for love..." There aren't many more things for me to drop so I'm beginning to hear the Old Folks Boogie calling my name.

Do whatever you can, while you can. Despite how you felt when you woke up this AM, you're not immortal.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

B O A T = Break Out Another Thousand!

W O O D = Wads Of Outrageous Dough!

We have not owned a boat since we sold the Mako 231 some years back.  Would like to get another similar CC for recreational river and LIS use.  Any sailing I do, will be deliveries, or racing on OPB's, after I have my rotator cuff repaired, and get medication for arthritic knees, so I can resume some semblance of agility on a rolling, moving deck...

See...you're halfway there already. 

Nothing better for bad knees that sanding out a new coat of bottom paint.

9 minutes ago, Willin' said:

... , no one notices us, we're old.

The young whippersnapper at the grocery noticed me. He said, " do you need help getting this in yer car, sir?":mellow:

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

See...you're halfway there already. 

Nothing better  WORSE for bad knees that sanding out a new coat of bottom paint.

FIFY M8!  Any other bright retirement ideas?   I used to enjoy fiddling with small British Cars, chopping and stacking wood, yardwork, etc.  But, those days are over! 

I am a checkbook mechanic, and so glad I got the CPO Warranty on the low mile, off-lease, 2017 Beamer 430i Hardtop Cabrio Coupe that  we picked up in January.  Been back there for a week when the top didn't work and 7 hours at $120/hour on their Nickel, and now it's not working again, the first time I tried it, and they will be picking it up, and giving me another brand new loaner to drive for however long it takes to hopefully fix it right this time!  WIN-WIN!!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

The young whippersnapper at the grocery noticed me. He said, " do you need help getting this in yer car, sir?":mellow:

I don't get that much respect at work, when I tell them they have to lift the heavy motor or pump from a shelf higher than my chest.  One Mechanic said that I needed to go to the gym.  I told him that is absolutely right, but not until rotator cuff surgery, after retiring, so I can safely work out, and lift heavy items above my waist......

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Sorry Woody,  I am just a tad bit too old and mature for Hookers and Blow!  I doubt that Missus BB will become my Boss.  After 36 years of marriage, we get along just fine, and I'm damn sure that will not change. 

The fact that we are selling a couple rental condos on Monday, with non-paying tenants thanks to Covid, that will put her on "fixed income", as in "fixed pretty good", should acquiesce her for quite some time...:D

market timing perfect

sounds like you 2 had yer heads on right through the years

you Can do it

Get a Harley

54 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Do whatever you can, while you can. Despite how you felt when you woke up this AM, you're not immortal.

This…..  And keep/get active and keep moving, don’t stop. I still gather and chop my own firewood, cut grass, dig over gardens for SWMBO and chase sheep and chooks around a field. Still go fishing.

Have at least several projects on the go, so that if you don’t feel like doing one on any particular day, you can do another. The privilege/joy of life, and particularly retirement is having options and doing what you feel like doing, when you feel like doing it. Far more enjoyable and productive.

Try new things. Even researching them can be fun and informative.

I retired 12 years ago at 59, I built a 31ft wooden boat at 65 after I finished renovating the house….. took 3 years to launch.

Tempted to do the Mk2 version now……

• Like 2

Thanks for that, and yes I would be very interested in boat deliveries, which you and I have PM'd about in the past.  Got my 100 ton near coastal sail-auxialiary around 83, when I was running the 65 foot "Boomerang".  Retired from that in '84 and started a new family and new career in Real Estate.  I never received the renewal permit app in '95, so my license went away, without my even realizing it at the time.  I think it is way too much hassle to try and get it again, but tell me if I am wrong about that?  TSA card and random testing for marijuana are requirements, no??  Keep me in mind as a possible Mate on one of your trips, and of course I would expect you to want to meet me in advance to take my measure.

Looking forward to returning to Europe on Star Clipper, small (200 pax) square rigged sailing cruise ships that mostly stop in smaller ports, where the giant 500 or more pax ships cannot go.  We've been to Venice, Croatia, Montenegro, France and Greece, and want to do more of that.  Best trip was watching the Saint Tropez Regatta 3 years ago! Hundreds and hundreds of racing sail boats of all types and sizes; just Avalon, or paradise!

Right now I am taking a break from deliveries.  Had a crazy busy few months and now the Delta variant…. Hard to get vaccinated crew.   If I start up again I will PM.

Now that you are retired, you can REALLY vacation.  Before the plague wifey and I discovered month long rentals.  Two years ago we did 5-weeks in Paris.  Was planning on doing it again, when the shit hit the fan.   

Don’t forget, motion is lotion-  if you slow down old age catches up.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Snore said:

Don’t forget, motion is lotion-  if you slow down old age catches up.  

Ooooh, that's good!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

7-10 AM is news, coffee and internet time. I fuck off most of the rest of the day.

I get out of my bathrobe by 10:00 most days and have nothing else to do all day.

When I go to bed 1/2 of it still isn't done.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

market timing perfect

sounds like you 2 had yer heads on right through the years

you Can do it

Get a Harley

Thanks Woodie!  But I would be a BMW, Ducatti, or Motoguzzi guy; never cared for Hogs.  But there are too many distracted drivers, for me to suit up in full helmet, leathers, etc. to prevent a certain death, or dismemberment...  Even in mostly rural SE CT....

Good casual friend from work was a mechanic on the machines there.  Only a few months younger than me.  Was riding his Harley in Northwest CT, and was killed instantly a couple months ago, when a large Moose jumped in front his Harley.  Dunno, if he wore safety gear, but I doubt it, knowing he was a laid back, serious stoner, with a ZZ Top beard, looking forward to retiring in Florida soon...

2 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you obviously don't live in the southern states...      there's a reason why the siesta was invented...   you don't do shit between 12 - 5

I observed just that in Horta in the Azores, even in December mid 1980's.  Warm enough, thanks to the Gulf Stream...

Congrats

I joined the club 7.5 months ago after busting ass for 46 years.

First 7 months were 6-7 days a week rebuilding the boat and setting it up for single/double handing.

Lost 30 pounds doing it.

That is done and I am starting to get used to this retirement gig.

I only do what I want to do (well unless the Admiral has a priority task..).

I take the boat out from 8-11 each morning before it gets too hot and there is a breeze.  Used to be so jealous of the boys in Sydney who used to surf or sail before heading into the office.   Now I can do it and NOT go into the office.

2 credos I have always lived by are true today in retirement:

Live each day like it is your last because one morning you are finally going to be right

and

Life it too short to sail ugly boats, drink cheap booze, or put up with argumentative women.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

looking forward to retiring in Florida soon...

Slow death!

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

doesn't matter what

Reminds me of the Steve Martin joke 

I do a lot of work with Single mothers. You know, helping them get their start. 

You may be surprised to get two checks when your SSI first arrives - I know I was, three months after I had filed. Now the SSI get's deposited in my account like clockwork. 

Now that you don't have to worry about the limits of vacation time, take extended vacations.  Live in a foreign country for a while. With two retirements (yours and your wife's) and selling two of your rentals, after getting that rotator surgery and subsequent recovery and physical therapy - would be a good time to start a European or World tour for a year or more till the urge to travel subsides somewhat. Perhaps turn part or all of your home into another rental. 

Even with traveling or living in a foreign country, you'll probably find you live cheaper abroad, then one might be aware and still be saving money and find you'll have more money then you expected to lavish on adult children and grandchildren - and still keep building investments and savings. 

If you have plans for foreign travel in retirement, take the time to learn the language or several languages. It will serve you well on your extended vacations, and it will keep your mind sharp. 

Retirement is a good time to expand on your interests. Take lessons and learn to play the piano, guitar or other favorite instruments. Take on a new hobby such as sculpture, carving, painting or photography. Stay active by taking on the challenge of a new athletic pursuit. Many retirees take up Kiteboarding - which is relatively easy, compared to windsurfing, after 60+/- sessions one is ready for a high wind kite. Other watersports such as kayaking or rowing, may peak your interest, and you can build your own kayak or high performance rowing scull.  Be a mentor at your local yacht club, and become involved with the youth sailing programs. 

Volunteer - Use your time in retirement to give back, perhaps at your local senior center or put the word out locally to help those elderly in need, Don't forget to consider overseas volunteer opportunities as well.

Write a book - perhaps your sailing memoirs. 

Start a new business or not

Perhaps a Snowbird cottage may be sufficient - or not - I've more then a few friends and family who tired of the warmer weather and returned to Northern climate. 

The sky is the limit or there's the rocking chair. As stated above - for us beginning the elderly life - movement is life

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Snore said:

Suggestions:

Retirement rocks!!!

Know a teacher who retired at 57.  He started a farm stand selling stuff he grew in the summer. Sometimes buying things like corn and marking it up to be more business.  Every summer from July to September that farm stand would take in 5-10k in profit.  He would set aside money for supplies in the spring(seeds etc) and the rest paid is dock fees, hauling fees and a new sail every couple of years.   In the winter he taught skiing.  He did both of that for a decade.  Old age is creeping up on him and he doesn't sail quite so often but still races and that farm stand well it still is going strong.

1 hour ago, boomer said:

Perhaps turn part or all of your home into another rental. 

Thanks Boomer, for all of your well thought out great advice!!

We have an open floor 700 SF Studio apartment above the garage.  Current Tenants lease is up next June, and I can't decide how to proceed. 

On one hand, I would like to have an energetic younger person or couple to rent the apartment and look after the Grounds and take care of the house and cats when we travel....  OR, Put it on Air BNB, and VBRO, but block out the days when our two children and their spouses want to visit, and just hire groundskeepers, cat feeders instead??

The Studio has a much better river-view than the house, being one story taller...

• Like 1

Pretty much all I can tell you is that once you have no job. you have less time to do the things you want to do.

It's like a.... I dunno, some sort of reverse vortex where the more free time you have, the less time you have to do the things that you used to get done after work....

It's true. I spent all day today not mowing the fields. I finally mowed about an acre before I had to come in to make dinner. What happened to the 8 hours before that? They just evaporated. I can't even blame it on constant phone calls or rainy weather today.... Those hours just..... Went away.

• Like 2

Giving your employer notice you'll stay till a replacement is recruited and trained is a bad idea. It gives them no impetuous to actually go and find anybody. Give'm a date and stick to it.

I'm not retired yet, 18 months to go, but I've been slowly setting myself up for years and not just monetarily. 

While SWMBO goes to art and weaving groups.

I shall be:

Sailing, it will mean I can compete and take part in all clubs sailing and events instead of about half. Also I'll help at the summer clubs sailing school, the clubs are entirely volunteer manned.

https://www.horning-sailing.club/ 

https://www.sfsc.co.uk/

I'm a former radar technician, nearby is the RAF radar museum again volunteer manned I'll help that, https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/

Model railways, instead of just 1, 2 hour session a week I'll be  to build models for a complete day.

http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/

Part of my part built model railway 

IMG_20210702_202532.jpg

• Like 5

You can finally get around to fixing all that shit on your boat that you never had time to fix.  Then you'll find more stuff to fix.  The good news, is that there is always tomorrow to fix that new thing that broke.

3 hours ago, boomer said:

You may be surprised to get two checks when your SSI first arrives - I know I was, three months after I had filed. Now the SSI get's deposited in my account like clockwork. 

Now that you don't have to worry about the limits of vacation time, take extended vacations.  Live in a foreign country for a while. With two retirements (yours and your wife's) and selling two of your rentals, after getting that rotator surgery and subsequent recovery and physical therapy - would be a good time to start a European or World tour for a year or more till the urge to travel subsides somewhat. Perhaps turn part or all of your home into another rental. 

Even with traveling or living in a foreign country, you'll probably find you live cheaper abroad, then one might be aware and still be saving money and find you'll have more money then you expected to lavish on adult children and grandchildren - and still keep building investments and savings. 

If you have plans for foreign travel in retirement, take the time to learn the language or several languages. It will serve you well on your extended vacations, and it will keep your mind sharp. 

Retirement is a good time to expand on your interests. Take lessons and learn to play the piano, guitar or other favorite instruments. Take on a new hobby such as sculpture, carving, painting or photography. Stay active by taking on the challenge of a new athletic pursuit. Many retirees take up Kiteboarding - which is relatively easy, compared to windsurfing, after 60+/- sessions one is ready for a high wind kite. Other watersports such as kayaking or rowing, may peak your interest, and you can build your own kayak or high performance rowing scull.  Be a mentor at your local yacht club, and become involved with the youth sailing programs. 

Volunteer - Use your time in retirement to give back, perhaps at your local senior center or put the word out locally to help those elderly in need, Don't forget to consider overseas volunteer opportunities as well.

Perhaps a Snowbird cottage may be sufficient - or not - I've more then a few friends and family who tired of the warmer weather and returned to Northern climate. 

The sky is the limit or there's the rocking chair. As stated above - for us beginning the elderly life - movement is life

Don't buy a HellsBurg Ratsea to travel the world and find yer inner piece

was someone who tried yet stayed grumpy as ever

where do you go, what do you do

when That didn't make ya constipated

regarding what others do or say on the interwebz  = Have No Shits to Give ????

Sorry GRUMPY, that grumpy was an adjective NOT a noun = No Ofence to my stubby longtime friend

7 hours ago, Willin' said:

So Mrs. BB is retired and you're on your way out! Good onya!

Sounds like you've done some traveling and already got the Capt. license/ delivery/ thing behind you, similar to me.  My advice, having accidentally retired at 56 and now just feeling the adverse effects of early onset old age at 69, do whatever energetic things you can think of now, while it's fun and before your standard condition is achy all over.

Travel hard! See more! Eat/ drink everything, despite worrying how much weight you may gain, no one notices us, we're old. You can diet in the winter or go somewhere where skiing is a daily activity to burn it off!

Since retiring I've gradually dropped surfing, tent camping, wooden boat working and sailing, long treks and back packer traveling, XC skiing and biking is getting to be almost not fun. As Leonard Cohen once said..." I ache in the places where I used to play, but I'm crazy for love..." There aren't many more things for me to drop so I'm beginning to hear the Old Folks Boogie calling my name.

This x1000 (except don’t get fat……that will shorten your life, predispose you to lots of nasty illnesses and is a bitch to get off as you age)

oh, and volunteer in things that you want…..do not get sucked into ANY role that makes you have to keep a specific regular schedule or limits your ability to do things spontaneously. 

now this is starting to scare me , have we all grown old enough to retire with SA ?

yea Gods who stole the years ?

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

• Like 2
14 hours ago, boomer said:

Jeez Boomer, I'm exhausted just reading this! Slow down, bubba! It's a marathon, not a sprint!

15 hours ago, boomer said:

SSI basically told me I would receive the previous month(s) benefits back to August when I qualified.  I expect it will be direct deposited, like Missus BB's, and any tax refunds.

During my nearly 30 year real estate career, I knew or dealt with more than a few folks that moved south then back north, and a few that later moved back south again!!

As to moving, I need to get some good shoes for walking.  My bulging arthritic left great toe makes finding shoes difficult.  With neuropathy in my feet, it's easy to create a chafe wound from shoes, that goes unnoticed.  And need to see a Rheumatology Doc for my arthritic knees, the right one clicks audibly when I go up or down stairs.  I did experience some atrophy in my leg muscles last year from too much desk sitting, so now I use the stairs of the 5 floors in the tool crib, instead of the elevator, unless I am picking up something heavy that requires a rolling cart.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Jeez Boomer, I'm exhausted just reading this! Slow down, bubba! It's a marathon, not a sprint!

Just throwing out a few options.

He doesn't have to do any of those or a couple or not as he wishes.

I usually make a habit of setting myself up for the task at hand, with all materials and tools needed in order.

The #1 rule always was, not breaking a sweat, even when figuratively running a marathon.

6 minutes ago, boomer said:

Just throwing out a few options.

He doesn't have to do any of those or a couple or not as he wishes.

I usually make a habit of setting myself up for the task at hand, with all materials and tools needed in order.

The #1 rule always was, not breaking a sweat, even when figuratively running a marathon.

Hey, Willin'!  Don't be a Debbie Downer.:lol:  Boomer suggested some things I had never considered, and some of them have serious merit, worth considering...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Mid said:

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Some things never change, no don't ever change
And I'm feeling the cold
Thinking that we're getting older and wiser
When we're just getting old

PF  -   Near The End

This is the essential oil mix my wife uses for her clients with nuropathy in their feet.

The carrier oils can be one of many including lavender or any of the massage carrier oils.

T = tablespoon

8714-1.jpg

Second the point of go do stuff sooner than later and keeping active:

Those who do, can.

Those who don't,  can't. 

28 minutes ago, boomer said:

This is the essential oil mix my wife uses for her clients with nuropathy in their feet.

The carrier oils can be one of many including lavender or any of the massage carrier oils.

T = tablespoon

8714-1.jpg

How is that going to help permanent nerve damage from Guillian-Barre, 20 years ago?  I'm sure it smells good though!! :)

18 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

How is that going to help permanent nerve damage from Guillian-Barre, 20 years ago?  I'm sure it smells good though!! :)

I don't know the how and why, would have to ask my wife who's to busy to ask anything right now - she's getting ready to go to my grand-daughters baby shower -  Some of her clients suffered the similar nerve damage from Guillian-Barre, and essential oils working for them with varying degrees of success. I'm sure if google was asked, more then a few answers would have a simple explanation.

Can Essential Oils Treat Neuropathy?

Essential oils for neuropathic pain relief

Guillan Barre Syndrome

2 minutes ago, boomer said:

I don't know the how and why, would have to ask my wife who's to busy to ask anything right now - she's getting ready to go to my grand-daughters baby shower -  Some of her clients suffered the similar nerve damage from Guillian-Barre, and essential oils working for them with varying degrees of success. I'm sure if google was asked, more then a few answers would have a simple explanation.

Can Essential Oils Treat Neuropathy?

Essential oils for neuropathic pain relief

Guillan Barre Syndrome

I have tried everything else, so why not?  Can she suggest something premixed, so I don't have to play chemist games?

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

I have tried everything else, so why not?  Can she suggest something premixed, so I don't have to play chemist games?

I just asked her as she's getting ready to go out the door. She gets each separately in small containers and mixes her own.

However if you go online, there are premixed available.  She also said the shelf life is short, so it probably has to be sealed and or refrigerated.

I bet Amazon has numerous products available.

Essential Oils for Neuropathy

6 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

The thing about retirement is that at the end of the day I often realize that I didn't get a damned thing done and it took me all day to do it! 

NTTARWT; You are Retired, do as you please!

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

The thing about retirement is that at the end of the day I often realize that I didn't get a damned thing done and it took me all day to do it! 

Never put off doing something today that you can put off doing tomorrow.

Had a GF retire who was given the following advice:  "Don't make any time commitments during the first year or you'll be living by a Daily Planner again before you realize it."   Passed it on to me when I retired six months later.  It worked.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, RedTuna said:

Never put off doing something today that you can put off doing tomorrow.

Had a GF retire who was given the following advice:  "Don't make any time commitments during the first year or you'll be living by a Daily Planner again before you realize it."   Passed it on to me when I retired six months later.  It worked.

Sounds good in principal, but one has to remember Doctors and other appointments.....

One thought. If you decide to get a snow bird place, go way south. Not Florida south. I'm talking USVI, Grenada, Puerto Rico, St. Vincent south. Cheaper, better weather, and by and large, better food. (The better food thing is key. Living in S. CT. you might not realize how good the produce, seafood,  and meat is there compared with a lot of the rest of the nation.)

I keep lists, and I rewrite many things. New to me boat with needs is a relief to have a focus. New batt installed, couple of circuits checked today. A good day.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I get out of my bathrobe by 10:00 most days and have nothing else to do all day.

...then I wander arround the house and flush all the toilets, cant be having stagnant water. I move the blinds up and down once.  Then I make sure my garage door openers work on all three doors, then check that the  remotes in each of four cars can activate the doors remotely.  Finally I check my flowers for dead blooms and turn off my driveway lights.

7 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I was literally just commenting on this phenomenon 15 minutes ago with a neighbor.

When you work full time, there always seems to be time to mow the lawn, fix the car, cook dinner, plant a garden.... But once you retire, or become disabled, the days just aren't long enough, there's always "tomorrow" or "later on, after it cools off a bit", or "When I get back from town because I needed to buy 1 light bulb"....

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Best bit of retirement advice?

Just do it.

Agreed. Retired at 29 and sailed Mexico, Central America and Western Caribbean for 4 years. Retired at 43, went sailing around the world for 8 years. 2.5 years of that was unretired in Oz... 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

travel get[s] boring.

Holy cow, Naptime, are you serious?  

My retirement is coming up and I have a list of places to go and things to do.  I have travelled quite a bit so far in my life and my retirement plan IS travelling.  Off the top:  WWI battlefields of France and Belgium, Ireland (extensive walking), Italy (walking and cycling), Portugal (walking and touring by car), North America road trips, bicycle across Europe (France to Romania), a long-distance walking expedition (something like el Camino de Santiago but not that), sailing on Sailing Ship Europa to Antarctica, Northern Scotland and the Shetland Islands, driving around Iceland, hiking around Mont Blanc....  well, you get the idea. 

What did you find boring?  

2 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

My retirement is coming up and I have a list of places to go and things to do.  I have travelled quite a bit so far in my life and my retirement plan IS travelling.  Off the top:  WWI battlefields of France and Belgium, Ireland (extensive walking), Italy (walking and cycling), Portugal (walking and touring by car), North America road trips, bicycle across Europe (France to Romania), a long-distance walking expedition (something like el Camino de Santiago but not that), sailing on Sailing Ship Europa to Antarctica, Northern Scotland and the Shetland Islands, driving around Iceland, hiking around Mont Blanc....  well, you get the idea. 

Good thing you still have good feet/legs.

Some of us destroyed those while working, and not listening to the gimpy old guys, when we were young. Now I'm a gimpy old guy, and yeah, the young guys still don't listen.

11 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

First thing I did when I retired in 2013 was the Coast to Coast walk in northern UK. Spectacular experience. Check it out. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Point Break said:

First thing I did when I retired in 2013 was the Coast to Coast walk in northern UK. Spectacular experience. Check it out. 

Once again, you need feet and legs.

One of my best friends is now 96 y/o/ He and his wife hiked the Dolomites, the alps, the lake district in UK, whatever the southern France range is.... Pyrenees maybe... Until they got into their 80s and she got a bit brittle.

BUT..... Once again, he hadn't destroyed his feet or legs doing a tradesman's job. He was a lawyer, she a housewife.

I still talk to him once every week or so. He's fading out mentally, and his feet and legs have finally given up on him... But he remembers those days fondly.

26 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Once again, you need feet and legs.

One of my best friends is now 96 y/o/ He and his wife hiked the Dolomites, the alps, the lake district in UK, whatever the southern France range is.... Pyrenees maybe... Until they got into their 80s and she got a bit brittle.

BUT..... Once again, he hadn't destroyed his feet or legs doing a tradesman's job. He was a lawyer, she a housewife.

I still talk to him once every week or so. He's fading out mentally, and his feet and legs have finally given up on him... But he remembers those days fondly.

I did 5 hours racing yesterday and am a bit stiff.  Just a few years ago I went into the lab Monday morning after 2 days of weekend racing and the young chemists were talking about all the cool video games they played all weekend.:D

23 hours ago, The Q said:

https://www.sfsc.co.uk/

I'm a former radar technician, nearby is the RAF radar museum again volunteer manned I'll help that, https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/

Model railways, instead of just 1, 2 hour session a week I'll be  to build models for a complete day.

http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/

Part of my part built model railway 

uhmmm  sounds like ,  cough cough, you're going to lead an exciting life...

7 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

One thought. If you decide to get a snow bird place, go way south. Not Florida south. I'm talking USVI, Grenada, Puerto Rico, St. Vincent south. Cheaper, better weather, and by and large, better food. (The better food thing is key. Living in S. CT. you might not realize how good the produce, seafood,  and meat is there compared with a lot of the rest of the nation.)

i'm thinking of pulling a tom hanks and heading to greece, nice place near the water where I can walk down to the boat..

1 hour ago, warbird said:

I did 5 hours racing yesterday and am a bit stiff.  Just a few years ago I went into the lab Monday morning after 2 days of weekend racing and the young chemists were talking about all the cool video games they played all weekend.:D

Yep exactly the same happens to me now. Only today it will be the post mortem on the expected loss at the football (soccer) that was on yesterday..

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Hadrians wall walk? Not done that, but have lived that way. Wonderful scenery in the summer a bit grim in the winter.. Did a lot of walking when I was younger, it's one of the reasons my knees are shot now.. That with various other sports injuries is why my  retirement has to be a somewhat more restricted physicality.

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

uhmmm  sounds like ,  cough cough, you're going to lead an exciting life...

With knackered big toe. Knees, back ,left elbow from sports and neck from a car crash. While I can still walk the dog and do  the  local clubs sailing/racing  iI don't have the mobility for long  walks or long period sailing any more. Neither do I have to money for a yacht to go off shore sailing or to go somewhere like the Med.

It seems on here many of you have greater pensions than my wages, even as an an electronics technician engineer I have not earned as much as the UK national average wage in the UK ever..

You just have to get on with what you can find that is interesting to do. What you can afford to do.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, The Q said:

Hadrians wall walk? Not done that, but have lived that way. Wonderful scenery in the summer a bit grim in the winter.. Did a lot of walking when I was younger, it's one of the reasons my knees are shot now.. That with various other sports injuries is why my  retirement has to be a somewhat more restricted physicality.

No, but it does cross Hadrian’s Wall. I read about it in a Smithsonian Magazine in 2003 and put it on my list. It’s a walk from the Irish Sea to the North Sea devised by a crabby old Brit named Wainwright. 

Took a bit of a ortho beating myself with many work years of stairwells and hiking. Glad I did it then…..the Camino is still on my list…….it probably won’t happen with some of the shit I got going. Oh well…….did more than most……can’t do everything……not many regrets. Still have lots of other stuff on the list I can do though so…….onward! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_to_Coast_Walk

Edit: By golly……here’s the article I read in the Smithsonian! 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/a-walk-across-england-89547636/

Ah yes Wainwrights walks, famous amount walkers here along with Munro bashing.

I lived near the eastern end of that walk for 6 months, in about 82, so have done a little walking around there. That's nice again in the summer, but getting stuck at work for three days due to snow it's pretty grim up on the wolds there in the winter too..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Q said:

With knackered big toe. Knees, back ,left elbow from sports and neck from a car crash. While I can still walk the dog and do  the  local clubs sailing/racing  iI don't have the mobility for long  walks or long period sailing any more. Neither do I have to money for a yacht to go off shore sailing or to go somewhere like the Med.

It seems on here many of you have greater pensions than my wages, even as an an electronics technician engineer I have not earned as much as the UK national average wage in the UK ever..

You just have to get on with what you can find that is interesting to do. What you can afford to do.

just joshing...   looking at your models,  you do nice work..

45 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

just joshing...   looking at your models,  you do nice work..

Unlike some at the model railway club, My interest is actually in the modelling, no the operation. When I go to one of SWMBO's Art exhibitions or gatherings, and get asked, "Do you paint?"  I say I paint in 3D then animate it..  Still unsuccessfully trying to get a realistic looking animated sailing boat in 1/ 150th scale though..

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

Sounds impressive as hell until you realize that you can't get farther than 70 miles from salt water anywhere in the UK. :D;)

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Sounds impressive as hell until you realize that you can't get farther than 70 miles from salt water anywhere in the UK. :D;)

Though that walk is 190 miles.

Keep working a couple of mornings a week . Gets you out of the house, keeps you in touch with younger people and in touch with the real world.

15 hours ago, warbird said:

...then I wander arround the house and flush all the toilets, cant be having stagnant water. I move the blinds up and down once.  Then I make sure my garage door openers work on all three doors, then check that the  remotes in each of four cars can activate the doors remotely.  Finally I check my flowers for dead blooms and turn off my driveway lights.

Overachiever!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, The Q said:

Unlike some at the model railway club, My interest is actually in the modelling, no the operation. When I go to one of SWMBO's Art exhibitions or gatherings, and get asked, "Do you paint?"  I say I paint in 3D then animate it..  Still unsuccessfully trying to get a realistic looking animated sailing boat in 1/ 150th scale though..

I've loved real and model railroads since I was young.  I haven't had a layout in years and I doubt I ever will again.  I like HO the best, the size is big enough for good detailing but small enough to be somewhat affordable and not requiring a huge amount of space for a layout.  I'm with you. Operating is OK but to me building things as realistically as possible is what I like.  To hell with the devil, to me the joy is in the details.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Sounds good in principal, but one has to remember Doctors and other appointments.....

Okay, I wasn't entirely clear.  I hope you're in good enough health that your life doesn't revolve around doctor visits.  I meant time commitments like volunteer work, mentoring kids, serving on a board, etc.  Or even part time work, if you can afford not to.  You have a chance to find out what it is to be you.  You have a chance to redefine yourself.  A variation on Maslow's self-actualization, as it were.

I'd been retired a short while when I was offered a one year engineering gig in my last specialty.  Would have also given me the opportunity to add machine learning to my skill stack.  It made me realize that I just no longer cared.  Turned it down because I didn't want to deal with rush hour traffic again, but mostly because it would have interfered with walking my dog in the morning.  We've met so many interesting people and dogs (and a few cats) in the neighborhood over the last six and a half years and 7500 miles. 

And I have found dozens of other interesting and rewarding things to do.  Enjoy what time you have left.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:
16 hours ago, warbird said:

Overachiever

….. And so exhausting too.

• Like 1
On 7/10/2021 at 2:41 PM, billy backstay said:

Cheers!!

To Quote a movie, " We're going to need a bigger boat"

Seriously, sailing a way should be option #1,2 and 3,

If you own a house sell especially, if your in CT, move to a state with no or low state taxes, Not Florida!

Rental properties good , home ownership bad.

Quit or retire from your job ASAP or as soon as your pension kicks in, if they need you to retrain your replacement , come back as a high paid contractor

Rent  where you think you might want to live, I would look at places out of the US, 

Tahiti might be a good start, or Canada/ Sweden/south America, New Zealand, some place that has good medical services at reasonable prices or free. to stay local New Hampshire, short drive to the CT river . 

Think out of the Box, STOP watching Faux news , or CNN for that matter. Its all bullshit propaganda 

Take SS ASAP , which sounds like your doing. If you don't need it put it in Tax free Muni Bonds

These are somethings I did or wish I did!

On 7/10/2021 at 2:41 PM, billy backstay said:

Cheers!!

After my dad retired he told me he was so busy he had no idea how he was ever able to even work before.

Here's my retirement regimen:

1. Day before I decide what projects I will tackle the next day
  2. Day of I awake and try to remember what projects I had planned for myself the day before
  3. Then I spend the rest of the day planning what I will do tomorrow

Now I see why my dad was so busy.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

To Quote a movie, " We're going to need a bigger boat"

Need to acquire a Center Console like the Mako 231 we sold 10 or so years ago.  I like racing on OPB's, not sure about cruising?

Seriously, sailing a way should be option #1,2 and 3,

If you own a house sell especially, if your in CT, move to a state with no or low state taxes, Not Florida!

We love where we live, just not so much in the cold months, so we visit daughter and son-in-law in Charleston, SC, and stay for FREE on SIL's family beach house on Sullivan's Island looking at Fort Sumter, and the ships going by, when we can.

Rental properties good , home ownership bad.

Ownership not so bad with rental apartment over garage, paying half the monthly nut.  Selling a few rentals now to clear Covid non-payers causing too much debt. Did I mention we love where we live? :)

Quit or retire from your job ASAP or as soon as your pension kicks in, if they need you to retrain your replacement , come back as a high paid contractor

I LIKE that idea, will give it serious consideration, but I doubt they would take me on as a high paid contractor; they would muddle along until they figured it out, and I would leave a vacuum for my Customers and co-workers who I like and respect.

Rent  where you think you might want to live, I would look at places out of the US, 

Tahiti might be a good start, or Canada/ Sweden/south America, New Zealand, some place that has good medical services at reasonable prices or free. to stay local New Hampshire, short drive to the CT river . 

Hope to visit some of those places. 

Think out of the Box, STOP watching Faux news , or CNN for that matter. Its all bullshit propaganda 

Good advice, thanks!!

Take SS ASAP , which sounds like your doing. If you don't need it put it in Tax free Muni Bonds

SSI begins very soon, looking forward to it!

These are somethings I did or wish I did!

Thanks for your reply, food for thinking on, for sure!!!