Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 7/10/2021 at 4:00 PM, ropetrick said:

Never do anything outside of the house before 10 am.

Unless you're wearing pajamas and holding a cup of coffee

OK, retirement tips:

Sail more... the day after you retire, you will be the fittest, healthiest, readiest, you're going to be for the rest of your life. Don't piss that away thinking you'll have plenty of time tosail later.

Don't move to Florida... there is a whole thread on this

Find a job that you consider important enough to be worth doing well. Consider volunteer work. A lot of the most important tasks do not bring in profit, which is one big reason why our society is so fucked up. But paying job or no, DO NOT work for an asshole boss. It will shorten your life. Unless your project is to ruin that boss-person's life (and of course replace him/her).

Spend a little more time on home chores. Laundry, cleaning, neaten up the spare room... there is no excuse to live like a slob now

Spend as much time as you want on your significant other.... there is no excuse to NOT just sit and talk a while, now.

Being able to retire is wealth beyond what most generations ever imagined, I became a volunteer youth sailing coach (turns out I'm actually pretty good at it) among other things. But I am still struggling against not being a fucking slob

- DSK

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, warbird said:

I retired mid year at 59. Started building a new smaller home (1590 sq ft vs 3800+ sq ft) by the end of that year proceeded to live on a cash drain until the old house sold a year after we moved into the new one.  Then we paid for landscaping the first summer and fall.  Then the cash drain of building the "Basement Lighthouse Bar and rec room". That process ended Dec 2019 just ontime for the big quarrantine.  Finally in the beginning of 2021 we started using some investment income for reinvesting.  We dont live a lavish lifestyle but money grows if we dont use it and the growth helps with  kids need home improvements, cars sometimes, etc.  I thought we would travel more on short or longer trips but with a quarrantine baby now in the mix we get to watch an infant grand daughter regularly.  Plans change.  :)

 

Where do you park money that grows more than savings bank rates??  My accountant is a very smart guy and he doesn't have a good answer.

In years gone by we had retirement money in the stock market, but wasn't worth much more 20 years on...

Our rental condos, OTOH appreciated nicely and it would be nice to liquidate all, but for the tax consequences, and where to get a similar return??

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Too late Al.  You messed up.

 

 

 

Fukin' kids.

English is my worst subject. History and PE are my best subjects. I’ll try harder when I go to Jr college. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Our rental condos, OTOH appreciated nicely and it would be nice to liquidate all, but for the tax consequences, and where to get a similar return??

Same with our homes...  we're living in the modest of the three.  There is one left to pay off and the rents are taking care of that in a very accelerated fashion.

We have contemplated selling our principle and taking advantage of the capitol gains exclusion and moving into one of the others with a wash, rinse, repeat in a few years. We have even considered selling everything and buying a little beach cottage as we can take our property tax with us and won't be exposed to an assessment on a $1M plus property.  Even then in retirement, if your income is not over $497K your tax exposure long term capitol gains is only 15%.  Yeah, I  know it is still a tax.. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Made 19% in good ole mutual funds last calendar year. I am pretty heavily exposed in bonds….but the returns have been sweet. Mrs PB has a money Manager at Wells.She made 9%…….but she did get some nice presents……

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

For me retirement comes in"

102 weeks and 4 days

718 days

17,232 hours

1,033,920 minutes

62,035,200 seconds

Nah... I am not counting.  The best part is I have already told my company and they have asked that I stay on a long as possible to train the "younguns."

Don't know how I am going to handle retirement.. may look at a "sunset career."  I have a few hobbies I think i could make a few bucks from.

 

 

 

 

 

I've found something useful Microsoft make... A retirement count down clock... 509 total days or 319 working days to go:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

Same with our homes...  we're living in the modest of the three.  There is one left to pay off and the rents are taking care of that in a very accelerated fashion.

We have contemplated selling our principle and taking advantage of the capitol gains exclusion and moving into one of the others with a wash, rinse, repeat in a few years. We have even considered selling everything and buying a little beach cottage as we can take our property tax with us and won't be exposed to an assessment on a $1M plus property.  Even then in retirement, if your income is not over $497K your tax exposure long term capitol gains is only 15%.  Yeah, I  know it is still a tax.. 

 

I was considering selling all rentals in a 1031 tax free exchange, into REIT's.  So glad that I didn't do that, as Covid will soon create a paradigm shift in commercial real estate, as long term leases expire, and with more people working and shopping from home....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Where do you park money that grows more than savings bank rates??  My accountant is a very smart guy and he doesn't have a good answer.

In years gone by we had retirement money in the stock market, but wasn't worth much more 20 years on...

Our rental condos, OTOH appreciated nicely and it would be nice to liquidate all, but for the tax consequences, and where to get a similar return??

Where do you park money that grows more than savings bank rates?? CHI, CGO, CHY for starters.  Look at the history on these.  WMB has been steady 6.5 ish %.  EMB ?   There are a number of ETFs and MLPs that have good returns. Google high yield ETF, MLP, MF or stock.  Sort through them carefully.  Change the search wording a little and, again, sort carefully. I do not recommend any of the above securities, just offered for your review or study.  

Watch your fees. I had a long term advisor.  After retirement I started studying his statements (DUH).  Fees were eating up returns.  A decent little nest egg was producing almost no steady income.  Went to a local broker (three generation family friend) with my list from the above searches and his response to several were, "I have several clients in this".

Fees.  Ask your advisor or broker blunt and point blank. Mutual funds pay back to the broker or advisor monthly from the collected fee.  On stocks the broker only gets a buy and sell fee.  Some brokers hold accounts for no fee, a flat fee or a percentage of acct fee. ASK.

Our rental condos, OTOH appreciated nicely and it would be nice to liquidate all, but for the tax consequences, and where to get a similar return??

Work with your tax advisor.  Look at what your really have if you take depreciation out of the tax equation.  You end up delaying a tax that you need to pay when you sell.  Buy a condo for $100k and sell it for $150k you have $50K gain.  If you depreciated it to $0 you have a $150k gain and you got spanked into a higher tax bracket.

Now the personal exemption is way up and deductions are down and do you really come ahead with the rental RE? I am out of rental RE for about 4 years now so I do not know those answers and every body has a different set of circumstances.

Good Luck.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Where do you park money that grows more than savings bank rates??

Don't park your assets. That is crazy. That is like parking your ass in front of SA instead of going to work — or sailing. Retired at 55 — 13 years ago. Went cruising. All in AAPL (Apple stock). Seems obvious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

HINTS from one who knows

1 Start Early Allowing for Retirement

2 It's a Journey NOT a destination

3 DO NOT Live your life for Retirement (nose to the stone till 72 as you will get the Most per month)

4 Work for The Man, get a job w a pension, medical, paid training to advance

5 Build and maintain GOOD CREDIT

6 Live your life like tomorrow may never come, BUT plan ahead in case it does

7 Invest in your Future Early, Buy a property and suffer through till people hate you cus you Only Paid what you Paid

8 FUCK OFF ASAP, if you can't FUCK OFF while yer young and working you won't know how later

 

 

FUCKING OFF =
 

A - Enjoying your time off work without stressing over your job when not on the clock

B - not letting your job grind you down, if you hate it find another job

C - Don't Blow all your money / Don't Hoard all your money

D - Do NOT Marry someone you will Divorce

E - Try Lot's of stuff and see what you like the most

F - Buy and use a Boat you Can Afford to keep using

G - Stay outta PA, if you Can make it there you WON"T be Happy Anywhere

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2021 at 1:00 PM, Point Break said:

When I retired a couple things required adjustment. Since I spent my last 4 in a really busy administrative position, the abruptness of the change of pace was a little jarring. As an example I went from a couple hundred emails a day to……….…zero. I adjusted pretty quickly. Another thing was seeing a column of smoke on the horizon or hearing about a big fire on the news and knowing so many of my buddies were there or headed there. I would think……I should be there. That persisted for several seasons but it has subsided. I’m sure there are analogies in most professions. Luckily, I always had a life chock full of recreational pursuits and hobbies. I see more than enough people in those settings. The people I know who struggled and still do were/are kinda one dimensional with a singular focus on their profession. For instance I ran into a work buddy - really good guy and we were on lots of incidents together as we were in adjacent Battalions so I was always on the ticket for his big incidents and he was for mine. He retired about 5 years before I did and I ran into him in the grocery store. I asked him how retirement was. He said he was struggling a little. He said “One day you have all kind of important responsibilities with people asking your opinion and making decisions. The next day you’re just another old guy in line at COSTCO”. I was fortunate enough to have such a broad range of interests away from work, and a more level view of my professional contributions that I didn’t experience that moment. 
 

So…..I guess the moral of the story is it hits people very personally and uniquely according to their personality and non-work life. You’ll be a little wrong footed for a bit, but with a little introspection you can anticipate, acknowledge and adjust to that. Having a wrong footed moment is different than not enjoying retirement. Our lives - professional and personal - are more complex than an on/off switch. If you’re aware of that you’ll be fine. I will say…..even given those odd moments I am glad I retired when I did and have no interest in returning to work……ever. 

https://thelifeofawriter.net/best-apps-for-writing-a-book/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Borracho said:

Don't park your assets. That is crazy. That is like parking your ass in front of SA instead of going to work — or sailing. Retired at 55 — 13 years ago. Went cruising. All in AAPL (Apple stock). Seems obvious.

You have all your money in Apple stock? :blink:

Watch that basket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You have all your money in Apple stock? :blink:

Watch that basket.

There was a tie when I was heavy in Microsoft, millionaire by forty four, then I wasn't. :ph34r: Janet Reno rot in palsied hell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You have all your money in Apple stock? :blink:

Watch that basket.

Doesn't matter. I have SS to fall back on. Live like a king in the PI. Even if AAPL went back to $5 I would still be ahead of the fuddy-duddy with T-Bills and savings accounts. Plus the free SC50 that AAPL bought :-) 

9 minutes ago, warbird said:

There was a tie when I was heavy in Microsoft, millionaire by forty four, then I wasn't. :ph34r: Janet Reno rot in palsied hell.

Dummy. If you had held onto MSFT since Janet Reno took office your million would now be $100,000,000. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Borracho said:

 

Dummy. If you had held onto MSFT since Janet Reno took office your million would now be $100,000,000. 

When you sail into a hole you look at where the weather might come from and helm in that direction.  Life challenges change your outlook and direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

I was considering selling all rentals in a 1031 tax free exchange, into REIT's.  So glad that I didn't do that, as Covid will soon create a paradigm shift in commercial real estate, as long term leases expire, and with more people working and shopping from home....

There are residential REITs' as well.  There will always be renters.  Some folks just want to live in the nice areas.. and I can't blame them.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

There are residential REITs' as well.  There will always be renters.  Some folks just want to live in the nice areas.. and I can't blame them.

 

 

Thanks, I will investigate....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2021 at 6:51 PM, billy backstay said:

 

Where do you park money that grows more than savings bank rates??  My accountant is a very smart guy and he doesn't have a good answer.

In years gone by we had retirement money in the stock market, but wasn't worth much more 20 years on...

Our rental condos, OTOH appreciated nicely and it would be nice to liquidate all, but for the tax consequences, and where to get a similar return??

Calamos. CHI, CGO, CHY, and more

Link to post
Share on other sites

Used car prices went crazy in the last months. Mrs Warbird didn't fit (height challenged) SUVs we looked at.  I told her to continue here quest on her own. I bought a low mileage 2016  Escape Titanium 2 liter turbo. 270 hp (40hp hidden in the glove box,  I haven't found them). Mrs Warbird  found she liked/fitted the car so well that I bought another 1/2 the miles, 22000, for her. Both Titanium 2 liter turbo with most bells and whistles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2021 at 7:38 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Sail more... the day after you retire, you will be the fittest, healthiest, readiest, you're going to be for the rest of your life. Don't piss that away thinking you'll have plenty of time tosail later.

Not always true.   I'm fitter now (strength and weight) than I was when I retired 7 1/2 years ago - but it takes work and discipline.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think somebody mentioned "eating, eating, eating ..." upthread. 

I overheard a conversation of two retired tourists about Beaufort, NC, yesterday. While Beaufort has a great small museum, beautiful downtown docks, excursions to a barrier island national park, harbor cruises, hang gliding, kayak rentals, a double decker tour bus, bike rentals, fishing charters inshore and offshore, dive charter boats working the several WWII wrecks in 100' of crystal clear, warm water, beaches with wild ponies, a very long golf course, and of course, shopping and restaurants.

Yepper, they compared notes on the restaurants, even tho the older you are, the less you need to eat.

I will be announcing my new American Health Plan in about two weeks. Pricing will be dependent upon lab results and age. Co-pays will be adjusted to insure that unhealthy folks don't ride on the backs of healthier folks who are not trying to ignorantly kill themselves.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Al Paca said:

How much $ 

$23k w/22000 mi, 2015. Stickered at $35.9. Park assist and blindspot warning. 

$20k w/44000 mi, 2016. No blindspot or park assist but with sunroof so roughly the same sticker. 

As an aside dealers will not move very far if at all. One look on line and nearly all cars are priced the same and dealers lean on that fact and say "look at the online pricing". Further, there are few cars out there right now and some big dealers in the area have 3/4 empty lots with rust showing on some of the front line (along the street) vehicles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t retire.

Keep moving.

Much rather die riding a good woman, on a good boat than stroking in a super duper shopping centre, life is too short for that sort of shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, warbird said:

$23k w/22000 mi, 2015. Stickered at $35.9. Park assist and blindspot warning.

23k for a 6 year old car. Trucks too tall to get in. 4 hour hard-ons. The end is nigh.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

23k for a 6 year old car. Trucks too tall to get in. 4 hour hard-ons. The end is nigh.

2 years ago, I paid 7 grand for a 2002 Nissan Frontier extra cab 4x4 truck with 105,000 miles, which I thought was high.  Mike Wofsey said it would have fetched far more in Colorado!  Spent foolish money adding electric windows and cruise control, but now it is perfect but for the gas mileage, and will probably outlive me...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just remember the the stages below of a Male’s life from puberty . Oh, on retirement get a total health checkup including full blood test ,fix whatever is wrong and go for it.

1.  sex,sex,sex,

2.  sex,sex,money

3.  sex,money,money

4.   money,money,money  (60)

5.   money,money,toilet     (65)

                                      Anything over 70 is a privilege so go hard.

6.   money,toilet,toilet       (75)

7.    toilet,toilet,toilet          Your fucked.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

23k for a 6 year old car. Trucks too tall to get in. 4 hour hard-ons. The end is nigh.

In a year the same low mileage 6 year old vehicle will probably be 10-15% less if there isn't used car shortage. I made the decision to drive rather nicer vehicles now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

23k for a 6 year old car. Trucks too tall to get in. 4 hour hard-ons. The end is nigh.

 

1 minute ago, warbird said:

In a year the same low mileage 6 year old vehicle will probably be 10-15% less if there isn't used car shortage. I made the decision to drive rather nicer vehicles now.

I sold my small pickup as my new home projects are mostly done. My daughters home projects are occasional and a utility trailer will fill those hauling needs that a van or SUV can't handle. While it is easy to think "6 years old" it replaces the 13 year old Passat I had been driving so it's a couple of Technology generations newer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, warbird said:

In a year the same low mileage 6 year old vehicle will probably be 10-15% less if there isn't used car shortage. I made the decision to drive rather nicer vehicles now.

Yeah, I wasn't being critical purposely. My old Ranger with 112K on the clock will hopefully outlast me. It still looks good but gets poor mileage tho I saw 20mpg on a recent road trip but I can buy a lot of gas for the extra dough. My Army buddy paid 86K for his F350 that he needs a step to get in. He hates when I holler that across the parking lot. B) A White party guy donchano.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2021 at 7:51 PM, billy backstay said:

Where do you park money that grows more than savings bank rates??  My accountant is a very smart guy and he doesn't have a good answer.

Everybody has their 2cts on this, here’s mine. I have a finance degree but learned that I need a financial advisor I trust. I used to pick stocks but the average guy can’t win at that now; eventually you get beat. I also used Fidelity managed trading for years and it cost a lot to do poorly.  I don’t want to beat the market but I also don’t want to lose big in the inevitable declines.

I have a very smart young guy with a small firm and they are expert at stocks, bonds, hedging, estate planning and tax. Way beyond my expertise. He is paid 100% on assets under management, not trading or other fees. It has grown consistently. It’s not super exotic, it’s mostly funds, ETFs, bonds, tax free bond funds, treasuries and some covered calls and things. The tax side is half the game. I watch closely but I just follow his lead now. Expertise and trust are the keys, and it has to be somebody that thinks YOU are one of the most important clients.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

My old Ranger with 112K on the clock will hopefully outlast me.

There is no better financial advice in the world than “buy a used Ford.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm keeping my 37 year old Landrover 110, for boat and trailer towing, however our car is another problem..

Probably bought before 2030 when the petrol new car ban comes in in the UK, it would then see us out.. It needs to be lower than the Landrover, but higher than a conventional car. Getting out of a low car, is just as difficult as getting up into a truck.. It also needs to accommodate either of us driving , I'm 6ft SWMBO is 5 ft..

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Everybody has their 2cts on this, here’s mine. I have a finance degree but learned that I need a financial advisor I trust. I used to pick stocks but the average guy can’t win at that now; eventually you get beat. I also used Fidelity managed trading for years and it cost a lot to do poorly.  I don’t want to beat the market but I also don’t want to lose big in the inevitable declines.

I have a very smart young guy with a small firm and they are expert at stocks, bonds, hedging, estate planning and tax. Way beyond my expertise. He is paid 100% on assets under management, not trading or other fees. It has grown consistently. It’s not super exotic, it’s mostly funds, ETFs, bonds, tax free bond funds, treasuries and some covered calls and things. The tax side is half the game. I watch closely but I just follow his lead now. Expertise and trust are the keys, and it has to be somebody that thinks YOU are one of the most important clients.

 

Interesting, does this guy accept clients in other New England states?   Taxes are a big issue in selling all of our rental, should we go that route.  Capital Gains and depreciation recapture can take a hefty bite.  So, looking for strategies to minimize that, by using 1031 tax free exchanges if possible.  Or some other legal tax minmizing strategy? I leveraged from 7 to 16 condos over a period, doing 1 for 3 exchanges, selling one appreciated unit, and exchanging into 3 cheaper ones, that have now appreciated somewhat.  Started with my first 2-family at 27 with down payment from Boat Nanny job that had few living expenses for a couple years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, billy backstay said:

 

Interesting, does this guy accept clients in other New England states?   Taxes are a big issue in selling all of our rental, should we go that route.  Capital Gains and depreciation recapture can take a hefty bite.  So, looking for strategies to minimize that, by using 1031 tax free exchanges if possible.  Or some other legal tax minmizing strategy? I leveraged from 7 to 16 condos over a period, doing 1 for 3 exchanges, selling one appreciated unit, and exchanging into 3 cheaper ones, that have now appreciated somewhat.  Started with my first 2-family at 27 with down payment from Boat Nanny job that had few living expenses for a couple years. 

He’s in Boston. Pm if you want

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Yeah, I wasn't being critical purposely. My old Ranger with 112K on the clock will hopefully outlast me. It still looks good but gets poor mileage tho I saw 20mpg on a recent road trip but I can buy a lot of gas for the extra dough. My Army buddy paid 86K for his F350 that he needs a step to get in. He hates when I holler that across the parking lot. B) A White party guy donchano.

You were right!  You were pointing out a truth and I hope I wasn't responding with rancor. It is hard to accept the reality of car$ these days.  As an example,  I considered a Mazda CX30, seems an engaging vehicle.  Base MSRP at ~21K IIRC.  Finding one with the power seats Mrs WarBird needs, she went from 5'2" to 4'11" over the last decade, puts you at trim levels Stickering $30-32K.

We don't want or need bigger.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

There is no better financial advice in the world than “buy a used Ford.”

Yes. One vehicle family: 1992 Ford F-250 350K miles. A $4,500 investment many years ago. Only minor repairs. I get some exercise on my evening walks down my long driveway picking up parts that fall off. I've got a pile of nuts, washers and bolts so far. One six-inch bolt sure looks important. What an utter piece of shit vehicle. But smart money management even with 12 mpg. Compare with my pal: A new car every few years. Dreams of a retirement cruising. Will die at his desk over a pile of CC statements after yet another fancy restaurant lunch. Idiot.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Q said:

I'm keeping my 37 year old Landrover 110, for boat and trailer towing, however our car is another problem..

Probably bought before 2030 when the petrol new car ban comes in in the UK, it would then see us out.. It needs to be lower than the Landrover, but higher than a conventional car. Getting out of a low car, is just as difficult as getting up into a truck.. It also needs to accommodate either of us driving , I'm 6ft SWMBO is 5 ft..

I found by accident the perfect car for oldies getting in and out with heaps of room for a 6ft and a 5ft4 is the Merc. B180 . Taller than a sedan ,lower than an SUV and no step .  Also huge luggage space with back seat folded for sails ,golf clubs etc. Bought our first one 2013 when I was told I had prostate C for misses .Sold  my BMW and her Merc A and bought the B . Love it.

We will buy our third one next year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BBender said:

I found by accident the perfect car for oldies getting in and out with heaps of room for a 6ft and a 5ft4 is the Merc. B180 . Taller than a sedan ,lower than an SUV and no step .  Also huge luggage space with back seat folded for sails ,golf clubs etc. Bought our first one 2013 when I was told I had prostate C for misses .Sold  my BMW and her Merc A and bought the B . Love it.

We will buy our third one next year. 

Friend, mid 50s, got the Prostate Cancer news 5-7 years ago. Still vigorous he chose to not get treatment with a so so performance outcome. He has gone total vegan, still enjoys a cocktail or three and has not experienced any tumor growth over the ensuing years.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, warbird said:

Friend, mid 50s, got the Prostate Cancer news 5-7 years ago. Still vigorous he chose to not get treatment with a so so performance outcome. He has gone total vegan, still enjoys a cocktail or three and has not experienced any tumor growth over the ensuing years.

 

I was diagnosed 2013 (69yrs.) . Was given the option of treatment or robotic surgery and have it taken out. After talking to buddy who went the treatment way and said the worry is always there I took it out. After 6 weeks back to golf , sailing etc. no incontinence , no pads, no worries no sex( joking a little change ) . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BBender said:

I was diagnosed 2013 (69yrs.) . Was given the option of treatment or robotic surgery and have it taken out. After talking to buddy who went the treatment way and said the worry is always there I took it out. After 6 weeks back to golf , sailing etc. no incontinence , no pads, no worries no sex( joking a little change ) . 

Congratulations on your successful treatment.

The robotic surgery for prostate cancer is pretty remarkable.  Although incontinence and sexual dysfunction can occur with the robot, the incidence is far lower than with regular surgery.  I have a doctor friend that had the robotic surgery at around age 60 a few years ago and he is fine with no side effects.

Prostate cancer is a very common cancer in men and many men die from other causes but also had prostate cancer and didn't know it.  I think men over the age of 65 or so should carefully consider  their general health, other risk factors, family history, etc. before they go and have their prostate gland cut out.  To me watching and waiting is the best strategy in that case and in many cases, no surgical intervention will be needed.  Something else will kill them first.  In younger men it's a little more difficult to decide an appropriate course of action.  If they decide to have the surgery, as your friend said, "worry is always there", then I believe the robotic surgery with follow up radiation therapy if needed is the best option.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I have a doctor friend that had the robotic surgery at around age 60 a few years ago and he is fine with no side effects.

I was on a boat placing a windward mark for a skiff event.  The RO asked us to stay out there for rescuing if needed.

Guy with me was 10 years older.  After a while he had a piss over the side.  He cursed when he accidentally pissed on the boat.  He told me that he had his prostate removed and one side effect he was not warned about.  His dick was an inch shorter.

"Well" he told me. "They chop out the prostate gland, then join up what's left, of course it's shorter."

Said it didn't matter as he was not rooting any more anyway, but it didn't help trying to piss over the side!

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

  I think men over the age of 65 or so should carefully consider  their general health, other risk factors, family history, etc. before they go and have their prostate gland cut out. 

I have a sailing friend who is now 85 years old.  He is undergoing radiation treatment for Prostate cancer.  He is naturally worried and does not want to die anytime soon.

However that got me thinking about when I get that old.  I know it's easy to have opinions when it is not me with cancer, but seriously, I would be inclined to say "What the fuck, let her rip!".

Had another friend, mid-sixties who had his taken out because after diagnosis is partner said."Get it out, that's what killed my father."

I asked "So how old was her dad?"

"91"

Mmmmmm

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the above on Prostate Cancer happens . There is no way I would have general surgery . These days the radiation is concentrated laser like . My Buddy had radiation . Not only did it fuck up his bowel he can no longer walk without a pronounced limp but as I said these days its administered laser like.  If I was younger when diagnosed sure I would have probably taken the risk and managed it although it is the second highest cause of male deaths . If the cancer spreads from the prostate your fucked. Re the short dick and not holding on .True .The shorter dick , feels like an inch but not, is overcome with practice and Viagra OR Tadalafil which is the supercharged Viagra (lasts 36 hrs.). Holding on gets better after a while as it is all about muscle control and doing the exercise ( stop half way having a piss for 20 secs. )  which a lot of men reckon they don’t need to then complain. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Borracho said:

One six-inch bolt sure looks important.

If that were a Chevy V8, I'd guess it's the lower starter bolt. Might be worth a pre-emptive look.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

It's been 5 weeks now, and still feeling my way fumbling forward???  Nice to NOT have to get up at 6 AM, and able to watch movies until 11 PM, but still feeling kind of lost and out of sorts??   Wanting to get a part time job, but Missus BB says NO, and to just chill for now, until next year???

Had a nice visit recently with daughters in S. Carolina, and expecting our first grandchild in March, so looking forward to that!!

Feel like I should be out blowing the leaves, instead of waiting for "my guy" to come and handle it in a week or so, but every year I like being out in the cold weather less and less.   Trying to walk a mile a day, and otherwise exercise, but haven't yet gotten my ass to the YMCA for their free "Silver Sneakers" retirees membership....... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get out of the recliner.  A brief afternoon nap is nice for the first few months but make a list of things you need to do today and then do at least one of them.  When I developed an eye condition in one eye earlier this year I promptly purchased a classic motorcycle.  When (if?)  eyesight fails I do not want a bunch of "woulda, shoulda,  couldas bumming me out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

I Trying to walk a mile a day, and otherwise exercise, but haven't yet gotten my ass to the YMCA for their free "Silver Sneakers" retirees membership....... 

 

I'll hit the gym somedays around 9:00 AM during the week.  There are a bunch of retired folks working out then and I will say there are some grey-haired studs banging it out on the pig iron.   Ran into one guy I haven't seen in a year or so, dropped 70 lbs, got off the lisinopril (high BP), and now riding his bike up and down our local hills - wish I had a before and after pic, really impressive.  Asked if the was one precipitous event that caused this to which he noted, "nope, there is no excuse to not do it anymore."  Went on to lament that it is the best he has felt in 20 years. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

It's been 5 weeks now, and still feeling my way fumbling forward???  Nice to NOT have to get up at 6 AM, and able to watch movies until 11 PM, but still feeling kind of lost and out of sorts??   Wanting to get a part time job, but Missus BB says NO, and to just chill for now, until next year???

Had a nice visit recently with daughters in S. Carolina, and expecting our first grandchild in March, so looking forward to that!!

Feel like I should be out blowing the leaves, instead of waiting for "my guy" to come and handle it in a week or so, but every year I like being out in the cold weather less and less.   Trying to walk a mile a day, and otherwise exercise, but haven't yet gotten my ass to the YMCA for their free "Silver Sneakers" retirees membership....... 

 

I know the feeling. When I first retired, (quit without notice on impulse and never went back)  if someone asked me how I was, I'd say every day was the first day of summer vacation and every night was Friday night.

Later, I'd give them a list of my daily accomplishments. I felt too guilty for sleeping in and not being productive to just say 'Fine'.

It took about 6 months to ease up. We've always been frugal, but without a regular paycheck, day to day fun took a bit more introspection for a while.

Looking back after 15  years, on occasion having to take a seasonal job or do the odd boat delivery before SS kicked in, I only wish I'd retired earlier.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you have grandkids -- they keep you busy.  My 8-year old grandson and I are best friends and we go on hikes, hang out on the boat, and have great discussions.

I was able to retire at age 45, a bit over 20 years ago, with a significant financial cushion.  We get our best returns in illiquid investments but we have a well-balanced portfolio and plenty of liquidity.  We have advisors who charge a percentage of funds under management, not by the transaction, and they have helped us manage our assets through some pretty dramatic economic times.

If we had less money we would want to be much more conservative in our approach, and no doubt see a smaller return.  Be realistic about how much you can afford to lose or have tied up at any given time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Willin' said:

I know the feeling. When I first retired, (quit without notice on impulse and never went back)  if someone asked me how I was, I'd say every day was the first day of summer vacation and every night was Friday night.

Later, I'd give them a list of my daily accomplishments. I felt too guilty for sleeping in and not being productive to just say 'Fine'.

It took about 6 months to ease up. We've always been frugal, but without a regular paycheck, day to day fun took a bit more introspection for a while.

Looking back after 15  years, on occasion having to take a seasonal job or do the odd boat delivery before SS kicked in, I only wish I'd retired earlier.

 

I never trusted the stock market, as in years past it never did great for us, so we go out.   Now, I find that I have money from my IRA retirement plan with Fidelity, which I never cared to pay attention to.  Company took out 6 % every 2 week pay period, and they matched it 50%.   I thought we liquidated it all to make the down payment on this house 2 and a half years ago.  Supposedly it has returned over 14% since then, so I am tempted to leave it there and forget about it.......

Or maybe park more money there, as we are selling rental condos, and not sure who to trust for investment management...........?????

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

I never trusted the stock market, as in years past it never did great for us, so we go out.   Now, I find that I have money from my IRA retirement plan with Fidelity, which I never cared to pay attention to.  Company took out 6 % every 2 week pay period, and they matched it 50%.   I thought we liquidated it all to make the down payment on this house 2 and a half years ago.  Supposedly it has returned over 14% since then, so I am tempted to leave it there and forget about it.......

Or maybe park more money there, as we are selling rental condos, and not sure who to trust for investment management...........?????

Wish I could offer advice on finances, but from personal experience, all I can say is everything I thought I knew was wrong except minimize or eliminate debt as early as possible.  

That said, I've never trusted financial advisors. Prolly why we're not lolling on some sun drenched beach right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Willin' said:

Wish I could offer advice on finances, but from personal experience, all I can say is everything I thought I knew was wrong except minimize or eliminate debt as early as possible.  

That said, I've never trusted financial advisors. Prolly why we're not lolling on some sun drenched beach right now.

agree , also don't move to god's waiting room FL. Don't marry some one looking for a sugar daddy, 

Do It as soon as possible, money comes and goes ,TIME only goes  sail sail sail sail sail oh did I mention go sailing

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Wish I could offer advice on finances, but from personal experience, all I can say is everything I thought I knew was wrong except minimize or eliminate debt as early as possible.  

That said, I've never trusted financial advisors. Prolly why we're not lolling on some sun drenched beach right now.

 

Yes, that's what I am thinking.  If we have enough money left, after paying SERIOUS tax consequences on a bunch of rentals that we have owned for decades, I would like to retire the mortgage on the house.  But, as long as we still have some rentals, I can "justify" the "business car" payment for the 4 YO 2017, Beamer hardtop convertible with 22k miles, which I will attempt to keep to minimal annual miles going forward....   It is a real joy to drive, and I can use the 20 YO 2002 Nissan Frontier, or her '04 X3 for around town errands.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

Yes, that's what I am thinking.  If we have enough money left, after paying SERIOUS tax consequences on a bunch of rentals that we have owned for decades, I would like to retire the mortgage on the house.  But, as long as we still have some rentals, I can "justify" the "business car" payment for the 4 YO 2017, Beamer hardtop convertible with 22k miles, which I will attempt to keep to minimal annual miles going forward....   It is a real joy to drive, and I can use the 20 YO 2002 Nissan Frontier, or her '04 X3 for around town errands.....

Spreadsheet it out.

Seeing hard numbers makes it a lot easier to make decisions. I've never regretted spending more time and getting more info on making a money decision.

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

I never trusted the stock market, as in years past it never did great for us, so we go out.   Now, I find that I have money from my IRA retirement plan with Fidelity, which I never cared to pay attention to.  Company took out 6 % every 2 week pay period, and they matched it 50%.   I thought we liquidated it all to make the down payment on this house 2 and a half years ago.  Supposedly it has returned over 14% since then, so I am tempted to leave it there and forget about it.......

Or maybe park more money there, as we are selling rental condos, and not sure who to trust for investment management...........?????

Talk to a financial planner.  There are plenty of avenues to return 5-8% in a reasonably secure investment.  Calamos (CHI, CGY, CGO, etc) has been doing it for 30 (?) years.  Balance to your comfort level but DO NOT bury cash in coffee cans in the back yard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Willin' said:

Wish I could offer advice on finances, but from personal experience, all I can say is everything I thought I knew was wrong except minimize or eliminate debt as early as possible.  

That said, I've never trusted financial advisors. Prolly why we're not lolling on some sun drenched beach right now.

You can have an initial consult with most Financial Planner for free. Cost you nothing to hear the Wisdom or Bullshit.  Caveat, I had a "Certiied Retirement Financial Planner" with diplomas, accreditations, state Licenses, etc" manage to keep my account just a little ahead of his fees.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, warbird said:

You can have an initial consult with most Financial Planner for free. Cost you nothing to hear the Wisdom or Bullshit.  Caveat, I had a "Certiied Retirement Financial Planner" with diplomas, accreditations, state Licenses, etc" manage to keep my account just a little ahead of his fees.

Thanks, Dad! ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Willin' said:

 

That said, I've never trusted financial advisors. Prolly why we're not lolling on some sun drenched beach right now.

financial advisors:  if they were any good , they'd be rich and retired...  now a good tax accountant / advisor probably worth they're money

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

financial advisors:  if they were any good , they'd be rich and retired...  now a good tax accountant / advisor probably worth they're money

My primary advisor is now semi-rich and retired.  We've been working as well with his younger understudy all this time, and we have confidence in him and his team.  They don't do miracles, but have been very helpful and their advice has been sound.  We also have a good tax/estate lawyer, and a CPA who knows his stuff.  There is no way I would want to manage all this by myself, I'd rather be having fun.

More retirement advice:  Find something you enjoy doing and do it.  Me, it turns out that one of my favorite hobbies is doing pretty much what I did in my professional career -- designing electronics and writing software.  Now I do it for fun.  And other stuff too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

financial advisors:  if they were any good , they'd be rich and retired...  now a good tax accountant / advisor probably worth they're money

Not necessarily. The financial advisor who handles my wife's retirement investments could retire but loves what he does. Small office, no show / all go, no razzle-dazzle, always willing to show his numbers. The main reason he hasn't retired in the past 3~4 years is that he's training his daughter to take over the business. He came from banking, she worked in insurance before "coming in."

I'm not sure I could do better picking investments myself, my own account has done slightly better over the years but is also more hassle at times. My wife's standing orders are to turn over my account to them if I suddenly croak. It makes me feel more secure for her future.

As for "not trusting the stock market," I'm not going to try and argue with that. I trust markets but I don't trust (many) people. The stock market is a necessary fuction but people tend to turn it into a shell game. That's why seeing the numbers is important. Stock or otherwise, never invest in something you wouldn't buy yourself, or something you don't understand. There are countless guys marketing investment plans with sketchy tax "advantages" and vague balloon projections. I use a variation of the "dogs of the Dow" strategy and have only had 1 investment dry up in ~45 years now... and that was a big company that I was not just familiar with but had multiple regional plants, an economic mainstay (everybody thought). I wish I had actually physically obtained some stock certificates for it, they'd make nice wallpaper now. But I obviously did not sink the whole bundle in it.

 

6 hours ago, valis said:

My primary advisor is now semi-rich and retired.  We've been working as well with his younger understudy all this time, and we have confidence in him and his team.  They don't do miracles, but have been very helpful and their advice has been sound.  We also have a good tax/estate lawyer, and a CPA who knows his stuff.  There is no way I would want to manage all this by myself, I'd rather be having fun.

More retirement advice:  Find something you enjoy doing and do it.  Me, it turns out that one of my favorite hobbies is doing pretty much what I did in my professional career -- designing electronics and writing software.  Now I do it for fun.  And other stuff too.

BINGO

I did some instrumentation and training in between cruises but I don't miss crawling in /out of boilers. Was getting calls until a couple of years ago, hard to realize I've been retired over ten years now.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2021 at 5:59 PM, pbd said:

I strongly second the advice not to commit to anything that requires your attendance on a fixed date and/or time. It truly will limit your options. 

 

Nice thought, but not possible, for now anyway.  Lots of Dr. visits and hours on the phone with insurance, taking care of stuff that has fallen by the wayside, while I was working full time.   Need a pocket calendar to keep it all straight.  I gather Google has a calendar similar to the outlook one I used and work, and iPhone also.

An old friend who was the first to get a handled PDF decades ago, eventually went back to paper!!  Insurance covers "silver sneakers" FREE Gym membership, so heading out now to sign up...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm close to two years in to retirement and my best advice is: own a boat.  You'll never run out of maintenance work and improvement projects.  Better yet, own two boats, and the projects just grow exponentially.

If you don't own a boat, and you own a house, you will end up just doing house projects.  Boat projects are way more fun.  Boat projects give you an out from doing house projects all the time, much to the chagrin of SWMBO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...