Removing black crud from non-skid

I have some non-skid has some kind of black crud on/in it. It looks like zillions of little black dots. I've never seen anything like it. Star-Brite non-skid deck cleaner isn't touching it. I've used Meguiar's non-skid cleaner successfully on other stains in the past, but it doesn't seem to be made any more. 

Any suggestions?

Pictures would help. 

Kleen n' Glo, and if that won't work, Magic Erasers, and if that won't work, borrow your friends nuclear-powered power washer and try not to take too much gelcoat off.

Spritz it on and leave it. Wash the deck the next day.

Trust me, it ain't just spray bleach

CLOROX CLEAN UP - ALL PURPOSE CLEANER & BLEACH (946mL)

On 7/11/2021 at 12:57 AM, SloopJonB said:

Holy Crap! Does this stuff ever work!

I wet a section of non-skid, spritzed this stuff on, scrubbed it around a bit and then did the same on another section. By the time I finished brushing the second section, the first section was white and ready to rinse. 

Thanks for the lead. 

And, oh by the way, it cost under $4. 

SWEET!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 12:57 AM, SloopJonB said:

Does this stuff react with stainless steel? I read somewhere that you don't want to use bleach in the cabin.

You don't want to have puddles of bleach on your keel bolts but "no bleach below deck" is a bit over the top,

The "cleanup" is only partly bleach.

I've never had any indication of it causing a problem with stanchions and the like - besides, you hose it off after it's worked.

The paper towel heat gun trick works well with some stuff.  Heat a bit with the heat gun, lay a paper towel over then heat and dab.  When your daughter covers the deck in surf wax it is the only cure.

15 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

The paper towel heat gun trick works well with some stuff.  Heat a bit with the heat gun, lay a paper towel over then heat and dab.  When your daughter covers the deck in surf wax it is the only cure.

One word (sort of): Quick-N-Brite

Looks like snake oil but this stuff takes wax off extremely well and is safe for painted surfaces and everything else I've tried it on. I've been using it for over 25 years, initially to get cosmoline off wood, and it's fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Brite-00032-Purpose-Cleaning/dp/B001F893OA/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Quick-N-Brite&qid=1627841294&sr=8-5