B&G 213 MHU wind speed problem

To the B&G gurus... I have a B&G Hydra 2000 system, with a 213 MHU. It's old (2004), but has been working fine until now.

Now suddenly, the windspeed shows irregular values. Sometimes zero (even though the sensor at the mast head is rotating), sometimes correct, and yesterday it showed even values between 150 and 200 knots of windspeed (wind was at about 10 knots).

I tried the test described here on page 3 (tapping black and violet wires together at the mastfood), and sure enough, there were windspeed values shown.

https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/store/medias/sailing/5dd/2c3/af3/original/5dd2c3af39819f3668e93b13.pdf

So the problem must be the cable in the mast or the sensor itself. I doublechecked all cabling and connections, also the plug at the masthead, looks good so far.

Would this be a sign for a fault of the PCB inside the sensor? Or rather a break in the cable somewhere inside the mast?

The wind angle readings are fine, it's just the windspeed.

image.thumb.png.75d73316d293bfecdfe3192d9843fc58.png

I recently had a "should I reconsider this thing" moment and went to the website. This is the opening banner. I feel that anyone who would think that sail is worthy of the front page of a website doesn't share my goals in sailing, performance, and attention to detail. 

38 minutes ago, ScowLover said:

image.thumb.png.75d73316d293bfecdfe3192d9843fc58.png

I recently had a "should I reconsider this thing" moment and went to the website. This is the opening banner. I feel that anyone who would think that sail is worthy of the front page of a website doesn't share my goals in sailing, performance, and attention to detail. 

Sorry, wrong thread. I must have had 2 tabs opened and confused myself. 

I just went through the same issue. 

new PCB in masthead unit and new bearings in wind speed and many $$$$ and it is working again. Mine was only 3 year old though.

H2000 system was quite reliable compared to the new H5000 system so keep it running for as long as possible.

On 7/22/2021 at 1:24 AM, Reference said:

Where did you purchase the new PCB & bearings?

There used to be a company that refurbished them, but they seem to have dissappeared.

I buy my parts from my local yacht club Maine electronics installation business. Try the B&G website for your local suppliers. These 213MHUs are easy to refurnish just search YouTube as there are plenty of videos on how to change out the pcb and bearings. I have been doing these change outs for years on my boats. 

I went through this in June. The problem was the cable in the mast. Rather than flat out zero, I got 0.5 knots (maybe a function of how the H5000 works?), first for short periods of time, and then over a few weeks the 0.5 knots value started occuring for long spans of time. 

Twice during the years I've found faulty female connectors ( Molex-type-ish). The one that fits the PCB inside MHU. Tricky one to find and to confirm it is actually that messing things up.

/LC