Leaking new Beneteau First 27

Since my Beneteau First 27 arrived in April it has been plagued with issues. (Over 20) Some plain silly and some serious, The worst now is a leaking propshaft seal. Beneteau don't know how to solve this. The shaft is not leaking at the engine end. It is leaking from the rubber secured to the tunnel with jubilee clips. It leaks about a litre an hour when sailing, About 2 litres a day when moored. The First 27 has no bilge so this fills up the engine compartment corroding all the fixings. Anyone had any experience of anything similar? I am desperate.   Beneteau seem to have given up...

leaking seal.jpg

Sorry you will see the picture is upside down and whatever I try it remains upside down,,,,

Is it leaking where the hose attaches to the hull? I would (with boat out of the water) remove all those clamps & slide the hose forwards off the grp tube. Then examine the tube carefully - something is keeping the rubber from making a tight seal. It could be lumps in the gelcoat/glasswork or even a cracked tube.

• Like 2

Sorry that they have "given up". Is it still under warranty? Strong letter from your lawyer?

A cracked fiberglass tube would be a very good guess. Less likely is the hose has a flaw

• Like 1

This is obscure, but another Beneteau owner had a leak where the tube exited the hull, allowing water in around the tube into the bilge. I ran into this here,

I'd like to hear more about the 20 other serious and silly issues you've encountered, if you don't mind.  I was looking at the First 27 SE model.  Perhaps I should stick with a used Seascape 27.

If you click on the picture it turns right side up.

I'm a little confused here. Is that a screw into the shaft log? What's with all the white tape showing at the end of the rubber?

Looks like the hose is to large for the fiberglass tube and someone tried to bulk up the tube with electrical tape.

Is that 3rd clamp even over the tube end or just squeezing the hose down.

12 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

Since my Beneteau First 27 arrived in April it has been plagued with issues. (Over 20) Some plain silly and some serious, The worst now is a leaking propshaft seal. Beneteau don't know how to solve this. The shaft is not leaking at the engine end. It is leaking from the rubber secured to the tunnel with jubilee clips. It leaks about a litre an hour when sailing, About 2 litres a day when moored. The First 27 has no bilge so this fills up the engine compartment corroding all the fixings. Anyone had any experience of anything similar? I am desperate.   Beneteau seem to have given up...

leaking seal.jpg

Two clamps should be enough.

Those are shit clamps for underwater use.

Is it a PSS type seal? Is the shaft attached part hard enough against the boot?

That white stuff shouldn't be necessary. Is it creating the problem?

What is that screw in side of the log for?

Have you identified the location of the leak on the boot?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, longy said:

Is it leaking where the hose attaches to the hull? I would (with boat out of the water) remove all those clamps & slide the hose forwards off the grp tube. Then examine the tube carefully - something is keeping the rubber from making a tight seal. It could be lumps in the gelcoat/glasswork or even a cracked tube.

Thanks for this. Yes it is leaking where the hose attaches to the hull. I would have thought that would have been the best first try but they have been reluctant to try this it seems

4 hours ago, Ncik said:

Two clamps should be enough.

Those are shit clamps for underwater use.

Is it a PSS type seal? Is the shaft attached part hard enough against the boot?

That white stuff shouldn't be necessary. Is it creating the problem?

What is that screw in side of the log for?

Have you identified the location of the leak on the boot?

It is a pressurised seal by water from the Yanmar water pump. I am told the screw is to help align the propshaft but not come across that before. The leak is where the boot joins the GRP tube .White page was I believ an attempt by the Bene agent to stop the leak..  

11 hours ago, Hovertank said:

I'd like to hear more about the 20 other serious and silly issues you've encountered, if you don't mind.  I was looking at the First 27 SE model.  Perhaps I should stick with a used Seascape 27.

I think the First 27 SE model will be ok as its basically the Seascape 27. I suppose I was naive buying an early aluminium rig model.. But I didn't expect this much trouble.

Serious issues: Standing rigging would not fit. V1 and D1 wrong length. That took nearly a month to sort out with many attempts to step the mast and one turnbuckle damaged.

Propshaft leaking with no bilge or automatic bilge pump. Having to pump out after each sail and every three days moored . Still not sorted and back on the hard while Beneteau collectively scratches it's head. (More good suggestions on this forum in a day than  3 months from Beneteau)

Precision 9 compass  placed on engine bulkhead so about 35 degrees out.  

No cunningham lines, reefing horns or correct vang strops.

Battery control panel not functioning. 

Speed transponder not functioning. 

Forgot to fit the zinc anodes.at shipyard

AIS B not working yet .

Silly stuff:

They fitted second hand toilet to new boat which leaked  immediately. Tap constricted water to galley so no water flow to sink. .Tap.had to be replaced.  Waste pipe from sink kinked and damaged and had to be replaced. Safety  line stanchions fitted in wrong place. Furler option ordered and paid for but was not delivered. Still waiting for refund. Sentinel alarm does not connect to Internet. Zeuss3 does not connect to internet. Folding table did not fit. Sink wooden cover not supplied . Gas burner igniter does not work. Cable deck hole and seal missing. Mast  paint damaged  Both Skylights scratched. Broken engine ventilation cover. Rudder joints rusting as appears to have been fitted without sealant. 

So mostly silly stuff but extremely frustrating on a new boat and still many to fix. Is it any wonder the industry finds it hard to attract new customers? 

It's sad too because I was so excited about this boat. My biggest investment ever apart from property. The brief sails we have had have been excellent.Very stable and yet responsive 

Hmm. Investment probably not the right word. When have boats ever been a financial investment?

4 minutes ago, Qingdaosog said:

Hmm. Investment probably not the right word. When have boats ever been a financial investment?

Investment:

a thing that is worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future.

Profitable, mostly not... Useful in future, surely?...

Yes I hope in the near future very useful as in, cheering me up and making me smile. Get away from all this covid hassle for a while. 

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

If you click on the picture it turns right side up.

I'm a little confused here. Is that a screw into the shaft log? What's with all the white tape showing at the end of the rubber?

Yes looks Ike to rubber hose is too big and they tried to use the white tape in an attempt to make the join tighter. Surprising this issue given it’s a production boat!

• Like 1

Yes I was surprised too! I thought buying from Beneteau offered some assurance. How wrong I was! It  seems they are not the worldwide company offering international support that they suggest. 

“No cunningham lines, reefing horns or correct vang strops”.

Ha! When I compared my experience in your other thread I didn’t even bother to mention this. 

Must be a ‘signature’ move. 

CB. 

How. long did you sail in Korea? I hope to make it to Seoul one day on my First 27.  Shipping 101 is prepare a shipping list. Didn't happen here and it sounds like it didn't happen with yours 

The boat and everything else I own is still there.  I am stuck 9000 km away living out of a suitcase. 

Do your research before you even dream about crossing over. Even as a korean registered vessel the waters are highly restrictive. The Maritime Police will not welcome you with open arms, especially with your home port. For a long number of reasons it is effectively impossible to cruise the coast as a foreign flagged vessel.

I am sorry for your problems. I know the feeling after waiting for ( a no doubt very expensive ) delivery, negotiating import with officials who have never seen such a thing and then finding problems. 

I will be interested to learn about the shaft fix. I sourced my materials and made my small repairs/mods. It was made clear there would be no support from Europe. 

BTW I used to live ‘just down the road’ in Yantai. Best of luck,

CB  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

Boats aren't an investment they are a lifestyle expenditure.

Would anyone talk about investing in theater tickets?

How about investing in an expensive dinner?

19 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

I am told the screw is to help align the propshaft but not come across that before.

It might be holding the bearing in-place.

10 hours ago, CovBoy said:

The boat and everything else I own is still there.  I am stuck 9000 km away living out of a suitcase. 

Do your research before you even dream about crossing over. Even as a korean registered vessel the waters are highly restrictive. The Maritime Police will not welcome you with open arms, especially with your home port. For a long number of reasons it is effectively impossible to cruise the coast as a foreign flagged vessel.

I am sorry for your problems. I know the feeling after waiting for ( a no doubt very expensive ) delivery, negotiating import with officials who have never seen such a thing and then finding problems. 

I will be interested to learn about the shaft fix. I sourced my materials and made my small repairs/mods. It was made clear there would be no support from Europe. 

BTW I used to live ‘just down the road’ in Yantai. Best of luck,

CB  

Thanks for your info about Seoul. Might be better when you get back to visit each other for a sail. It's a very short flight. I have the opposite experience. Stuck here with the suitcase on the wardrobe with no practical chance to leave China. Work usually takes me all over Asia. This is hard to endure. But at least we are safe here for the moment

It looks like the shaft tube is just a smidgen undersize. The obvious fix would be to right-size it with a cloth/epoxy wrap. Beneteau should also give you a new hose since the old one has been mutilated.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be a layer of Sikaflex or 5200 around the GRP tube before fitting the shaft seal a possible fix? Wait some time before tightening the hose clamp so the sika could form an elastic layer to seal. But yes if the tube is to small a glass/epoxy wrap to the right size is king... pretty bad place for laminating and of cours it has to be 100% dry and clean before.. 

30 minutes ago, patrese said:

Wouldn't be a layer of Sikaflex or 5200 around the GRP tube before fitting the shaft seal a possible fix? Wait some time before tightening the hose clamp so the sika could form an elastic layer to seal. But yes if the tube is to small a glass/epoxy wrap to the right size is king... pretty bad place for laminating and of cours it has to be 100% dry and clean before.. 

Thanks Patrese. This would seem to be the best solution to try plus better clips as above. The local agent is waiting for clear instructions from Beneteau but they have not been forthcoming. 

31 minutes ago, European Bloke said:

Beneteau should also make good anything damaged as a result of the fucking boat trying to sink. But they won't.

`European Bloke`.  Unfortunately I fear you may be right. I don't want to fight in the courts. Life is too short. I hope Beneteau realise they completely screwed up this time and compensate me for effectively receiving a second hand boat. Its the right thing to do. But somehow I dont think that will be their opinion. 

You can also write a direkt mail to Andraz M. (Sesscape founder) great guy ! Maybee he deserves a trip to China.. Big market for a little company. Guess the boats are still produced under his and Christians supervision and if there is a customer oriented CEO than Andraz...

6 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

`European Bloke`.  Unfortunately I fear you may be right. I don't want to fight in the courts. Life is too short. I hope Beneteau realise they completely screwed up this time and compensate me for effectively receiving a second hand boat. Its the right thing to do. But somehow I dont think that will be their opinion. 

Second hand?

I bought a project boat that was on the cusp between "Project" and "Zombie" and I didn't have a problem remotely like that.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  There is nowhere else in sailing  like  the folks on SA for support. I will post what we finally find out is the problem and how we solve this.

waxing.jpg

• Like 1

The Beneteaus of the world create glossy brochures to create the impression their quality is good, but scratch a little below the surface and their construction and fitting out leave a lot to be desired.   The kind of problems you are encountering would normally be taken care of by a local dealer, especially missing items during commissioning, but it sounds like the support is lacking where you are.

Hopefully people out there read threads like this and are warned about the quality issues with Beneteau and other similar manufacturers.  If I was buying a new Beneteau I would hire a good surveyor to go over it during commissioning and not accept it until his or her recommendations were addressed by the dealer.

On the other hand I probably wouldn't buy a Beneteau in any event - I don't like their bodged in grid design which is not economically repairable after a grounding.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:42 PM, Ncik said:

Others will have an opinion, but this sort of hose clamp is advisable for underwater use.

THC33104 - GATES STAINLESS T-BOLT HOSE CLAMP 104-112MM

This is indeed a superior clamping system - not cheap, but highly recommended for stuffingbox sealing.

22 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

Thanks Patrese. This would seem to be the best solution to try plus better clips as above. The local agent is waiting for clear instructions from Beneteau but they have not been forthcoming. 

Don't accept the Sikaflex solution if suggested by the dealer, its a band aid at best. 

This is a brand new boat, stuff like the stern tube being the correct diameter is basic shit, plumping up the stern tube with Sikaflex is a bodge on a 50 year old boat. 

• Like 3

What is the brand of it ? Allpa ?
And remove all those clamps. And the white goop.

And are all Chinese dealers not cooperating ? Complain at head office.

8 hours ago, MiddayGun said:

Don't accept the Sikaflex solution if suggested by the dealer, its a band aid at best. 

This is a brand new boat, stuff like the stern tube being the correct diameter is basic shit, plumping up the stern tube with Sikaflex is a bodge on a 50 year old boat. 

I second this. Any non structural solution becomes an added maintence item, one that requires the boat be pulled for inspection and service. If the sikaflex, or tape, or whatever goop is used fails then the boat sinks. I can not think of any sealant I would trust in that situation. Adding layers of well bonded GRP should not be that hard.

I would also try to track down the manufacturer of the hose fitting. It looks complex and therefore not a typical item. It has been abused enough it should probably be replaced and the maker can also tell you the required inside diameter brefore the work is done.

• Like 2

For the amount of money people are paying for this boat, there should not be issues like this.

Nothing here is cutting edge ground breaking stuff. The owner has a valid case and should seek legal assistance.

• Like 1
On 7/16/2021 at 9:22 AM, Irrational 14 said:

For the amount of money people are paying for this boat, there should not be issues like this.

Nothing here is cutting edge ground breaking stuff. The owner has a valid case and should seek legal assistance.

Totally agree,  It's unacceptable to have those problems on a brand new boat.

• Like 1

So the  fitter from local Beneteau agent has got as far as disconnecting the seal from the GRP propshaft tube. The seal slides on and off the tube very easily. (Please see video). The tube is 44mm in diameter. Anyone have any experience of these seals. It would seem very loose on the tube. Not much to stop major water ingress normally if a clip failed. Is this how the seal should be? Any opinions appreciated. On the hard now for over 3 weeks while Beneteau ponders what to do... Anyway should get a ride on a new Far East 23 this weekend for a sailing fix. Launched in the same marina with no problems this spring. 

No, IMO that is too loose.

It shouldn't just slide on, it should have to be twisted back and forth to seat it on the stern tube. After it's been on and clamped for a while it should be difficult to remove.

No different than fitting a hose to a seacock.

Thank 

56 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No, IMO that is too loose.

It shouldn't just slide on, it should have to be twisted back and forth to seat it on the stern tube. After it's been on and clamped for a while it should be difficult to remove.

No different than fitting a hose to a seacock.

Thank you. I really appreciate it 

Brand ? Some slide easy, some hard, depends on brand. Of rubber used and shape of seal lips inside them.
Without the brand it is all guessing.
If there is not a brand on it, who knows what quality was installed. If so, toss it and get a brand name one. With an install manual.

I have seen in the past that the water feed tube sometimes forced the  seal lips to open up. But that was mostly under full power and turning the rudder hard over.

Hmm, that doesn't look as bad as I thought it might.
Its hard to tell from the video just how tight a fit it is, but as Leo says the material can have an impact, it doesn't look like there's too much extra if any. 

- When you nip the clamps up, do you see the material 'pinching' like it would if the diameter was too large? 

- Are you certain there are no cracks in the stern tube at all? 

- The screw on top looks like an obvious leak source, and if its just a dribble then it will be almost invisible, it will run along the tube and look like its coming from somewhere else. 

• Like 1

This is a seriously depressing thread.  Beneteau should be embarrassed and moving mountains to get these problems fixed—and explaining how they’ve changed factory procedure to ensure such issues never occur again.  The company is losing future sales every day this thread is up.  As they should.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, The great unwashed said:

This is a seriously depressing thread.  Beneteau should be embarrassed and moving mountains to get these problems fixed—and explaining how they’ve changed factory procedure to ensure such issues never occur again.  The company is losing future sales every day this thread is up.  As they should.

Thanks for the support. I just don't understand how Beneteau think this is acceptable. I ordered this boat at the end of August 2020. It was delivered in Mid April and here we are at the end of July  with a leaking boat . (also other issues still to fix.) . Its not rocket science. A 1 GM10 Yanmar and a simple propshaft . There is now also another new  Beneteau trawler in the marina with broken steering. Its all very sad 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:42 AM, Ncik said:

Others will have an opinion, but this sort of hose clamp is advisable for underwater use.

Yep - just surveyed a yacht in build at a Chinese boatyard. All hoses under any sort of pressure were fitted with clamp like this.

5 hours ago, LeoV said:

Looks like a customer out of hell, all whining but no details.

You think a leaking stern gland is acceptable? Doesn't really need details if there is a leak from new on a boat. It's leaking - end of story and whining? Well surely having forked out a significant chunk of change a customer has a right to receive something that is perfect

I would have though that if there is a leak it is because the two surfaces do not mate properly. Perhaps the propeller shaft though more likely is that the rubber on the seal was nipped or somehow otherwise deformed.

As it is a brand new boat that has leaked from the get go by the sound of it, the very least Bennyslow or their subsidiary, Seascape should do is to courier out a new stern gland fitting.

As it stands the boat cannot be left on a mooring by the sounds of it.

As a boat, by definition should float (this one wont if left unattended for long enough) then it isn't of "merchantable quality". In other words it is "not  fit for the particular use to which they were sold". It is pretty fundamental that when you buy a new boat it should not leak after all.

I don't know if this is indicative of the after sales care of Beneteau or their agent/dealer network but having heard this horror story, if anyone asks me about buying one in the future I will at the very least suggest people exercise caution.

The argument that it is the first or the faults are unusual don't hold water (and clearly neither does the stern gland) and Beneteau should be bending over backwards to sort this out.

The UK Market is currently much bigger than the Chinese market and I would recommend Qingdaosog to pen a letter to Practical Boat Owner or Yachting Monthly. Perhaps then Beneteau might pay more attention.

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:
On 7/14/2021 at 5:42 PM, Ncik said:

Expand  Expand  

Yep - just surveyed a yacht in build at a Chinese boatyard. All hoses under any sort of pressure were fitted with clamp like this.

I've never understood those being regarded as the best for underwater installations.

How many spot welds are there on each of those?

This style of non-perforated clamp makes more sense to me.

Trident HD Non-Perforated Clamp - #710 -

Having said that, I suspect that 95% or better of all boats out there have standard perforated S/S hose clamps and very few boats sink due to failed clamps.

Yeah, that's the common wisdom.

However, I can't count the hundreds of hose clamps I've owned in my life - almost all of them perforated - and I've never had a single failure.

Double clamps are insurance more than experience.

I've never had a house fire either but I still buy it.

Has anyone here had a boat sink or nearly so from a failed perforated clamp?

Or any hose clamp for that matter?

The marine industry lacks the ability to select hose and fittings that connect together well. Imagine the good fortune of finding a 2 inch bilge rated hose that snugly slides onto the fittings at both ends. Having just completed replacing every hose in this yacht I can say the hose makers appear to have some measuring tools. The barb fitting folks either lack measuring tools or are addressing certain never-seen hose sizes. The hackers that cast bronze “barbs” can proudly point out that their fittings are at least better than boatyard snot and glass slingers. 

Hard to know what is worse: a loose fit that over stresses the clamp or a too tight hose fit that cracks as it ages.

I believe you have a leak in the tube or rubber itself  but If you are convinced that the problem is not a crack in the tub or the rubber sleeve then the problem is a channel in the rubber or a groove in the tube. the channel where the water is leaking thru could be formed by the manufacturing  process of the rubber. the pressure that is causing the leak is quite small around 12 " wc so most hose clamps can compress the rubber enough to make a seal. if the rubber is so loose on the tube that it is overlapping itself when clamped it will create a channel for the water to seep thru.  so you need to clamp across the channel to cut off the flow. I would try a narrow hose clamp to reduce the surface area  the clamp is compressing which will give a better seal.  the smaller the clamp width the tighter the clamp will be over the smaller area. worm drive hose clamps are made as narrow as 5/16" 8 mm.  you would be able to place several narrow clamps at different orientations around the hose to close of a channel to stop the leak

3 hours ago, Borracho said:

The marine industry lacks the ability to select hose and fittings that connect together well. Imagine the good fortune of finding a 2 inch bilge rated hose that snugly slides onto the fittings at both ends. Having just completed replacing every hose in this yacht I can say the hose makers appear to have some measuring tools. The barb fitting folks either lack measuring tools or are addressing certain never-seen hose sizes. 

OMG!

I had to replace a couple of broken hoses  in my bilge drains last year. Supply chains were VERY disrupted, etc, but the only combination of hose and fittings that I could put together was the cheap corrugated stuff that I plan on replacing this fall. 

It was crazy holding different brands of hose & fittings in my hand that absolutely refused to go together no matter what we tried.

On 7/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, Hovertank said:

A good example of common sense in buying late model 2nd hander.  

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

almost all of them perforated - and I've never had a single failure.

I've peeled apart some that have broken at the performations. 

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've never understood those being regarded as the best for underwater installations.

This style of non-perforated clamp makes more sense to me.

Trident HD Non-Perforated Clamp - #710 -

Having said that, I suspect that 95% or better of all boats out there have standard perforated S/S hose clamps and very few boats sink due to failed clamps.

They are one part of a system. If one gives the second may hold, or even the hose friction.

I have replaced busted perforated hose clamps. I have stripped new perforated hose clamps. Sure the argument could be made they were poor quality, but hard to tell sometimes. A good maintenance regime will counter any issues with perforated hose clamps.

Thanks to  all you anarchists for your help and suggestions.. This is a great forum.  I am informed this morning that an attempt to solve this will be made on Wednesday. I will report what happens.

The manufacturer of the seal should have specifications for the stern tube diameter and, if needed, a layer or two of glass can be wrapped around the stern tube and sanded for a tight fit.

From the picture and video, the third hose clamp (fwd) is not clamping on the tube.

The breather hose appears to have a drop of water near the reducer and the hose clamps are an ill-fit.  I'd start there.

Cheers

It's been repaired..Sort of.. Cleaning up and refitting didn't work so they have done a Chernobyl style repair, building a sarcophagus around the seal and tube.. It's dry for the moment.... Hopefully when Beneteau finish their summer holidays they will suggest something more permanent..

20210729_101213.jpg

So the leak was coming from the tube rather than the seal of the rubber? 

Also just noticed how your fuel tank is secured, I guess those things are theoretically strong enough, but I'd hate for them to let go! 

On 7/25/2021 at 9:50 AM, The great unwashed said:

I know a former European warranty manager that did a few years with Bene, you just wont believe the stories...

7 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

It's been repaired..Sort of.. Cleaning up and refitting didn't work so they have done a Chernobyl style repair, building a sarcophagus around the seal and tube.. It's dry for the moment.... Hopefully when Beneteau finish their summer holidays they will suggest something more permanent..

20210729_101213.jpg

That would be classed as a bullshit repair if it was done by someone who had never been on a boat.

HTF are you supposed to get that hose clamp off?

They took 6 figure off you for that boat and that's what they do to "fix it"?

Long past time you spoke to a lawyer.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

20210729_101213.jpg

that is one ugly fucking mess. what the hell is that? a big lump of 5200? And its all over the place. smdh

shit.jpg

That fix is a hot mess. You should not accept it. If necessary, tell them to take their boat back because it was never right to begin with.

Fixed Really! I can see how you can trust that repair, can't still leak because they used the whole tube, just be glade they did not have a bigger tube of the stuff, but its looks to me like they might have missed a spot.

it is not where you apply it, it is how much you apply

16 hours ago, Qingdaosog said:

20210729_101213.jpg

That is fucking atrocious.

I don't blame the local dealer. The mechanic has just tried to do something to get the boat back in the water. (Though this fix was rather drastic and I suspect wont last long ) There has been ineffectual support from the Beneteau/Seascape team. It is so sad. Yes I would just like to return the boat and get my money back or have it replaced with a boat that is properly sorted, but what are the realistic chances of that? It is a nightmare for me.  

8 minutes ago, Qingdaosog said:

I don't blame the local dealer. The mechanic has just tried to do something to get the boat back in the water. (Though this fix was rather drastic and I suspect wont last long ) There has been ineffectual support from the Beneteau/Seascape team. It is so sad. Yes I would just like to return the boat and get my money back or have it replaced with a boat that is properly sorted, but what are the realistic chances of that? It is a nightmare for me.  

Not sure what protections you have in Weihai but here in the US, many states have a "lemon law" that'll protect you if a new product has to be repaired multiple times for the same problem. Even if that's not the case, there's a robust small claims court system you can use as a last resort without having to pay a lawyer. 

This wrong in so many ways. Tesla had a problem so they recalled 350,000 cars. Another automotive company recalled 1/2 million plus and when VW lied about emissions they were fined billions. Have a problem with a boat from Beneteau "Stick some bog on it". If it goes wrong when offshore you can't exactly park up and get out.

It is also corporately stupid to tarnish your reputation in a market with huge growth potential and where people are, more and more, buying boats, both sail & power - I know we've sold a few. 

Frankly, it's disgusting and a sad reflection on boat builders and the industry as a whole. I am not speaking about the repair by the way. If Beneteau had provided the proper solution - probably supplying a replacement stern gland that is the right size - from the get go such dramatic and drastic action would probably not have been needed. 

I know Qingdaosog well and have for years. We actually bought his J-70 off him for a youth regatta at the other end of the country and he was so excited about getting this boat and it is such a shame (a shame on Beneteau) that they have treated him so shoddily

They deserve all the bad press that they get over this, customers deserve to be treated better. What's more, when you by anything brand new it is only reasonable to expect it to be "fit for the purpose" (in fact it is law in many jurisdictions). A boat that, if left on a mooring for extended periods is likely to sink is hardly "fit for the purpose".

And this is only the most visible of the faults that the boat arrived with - they should be ashamed as well as shamed.

Rant over.

See you on the water

SS 

I worked construction (houses, not boats) for a few years.  That Bene “fix” is the sort of thing that got a disgusted look from my boss, followed by “scrape it off, clean it up, and do it right, or find a new job.”  That’s beyond unacceptable.

There should be more threads like this to hold the Beneteaus and Jeanneaus of the world to account.  We don't want them to disappear, but we do want them to improve the quality of their products.  

I love the Beneteau "Oceanis" series - the name seems to imply you can take them in an ocean.  Those boats are definitely not fit for that purpose.

When I said ‘ I look forward to seeing the solution’ that was NOT what I had in mind. That offends every part of this Naval Architect’s body.

Mine wasn’t fit to sail but at least it wasn't taking on water.

I really feel your disappointment. 

CB

What a sad solution. It it leaks again, and it probably will, the flexible hose fitting is bonded to the hull and now must be cut off, the hose clamp as well. 

Take a look at the you tube series by sailing parlay. They exposed a design flaw in a beneteau product and the company finally fessed up to it's incompetence and agreed to inspect and repair the fault in other owners boats. It took a long time and a lot of support, but with enough persistence it may be one way to get your boat proberly sorted. 

On 7/26/2021 at 12:43 AM, SloopJonB said:

There are various sources of non welded T-clamps that are mandatory for commercial marine and military installations.

Good quality T clamps are significantly better than a standard hose clamp. Especially for larger piping rather than small tube. A decent couple of T clamps would probably have sorted this leak out.

I've seen a lot of failed perforated SS 302 clamps that have broken from corrosion from minor leaks.  usually the hose stays on and just leaks a bit more, mainly because it's an interference fit over a barbed fitting.

Heavy duty com marine approved T clamp.jpg

• Like 1