What does quarter\half\one-tonner means?

it has nothing to do with trailer weight, ballast or displacement.   I think it’s some obscure 1960s or 70s system based on how much marijuana the crew can stash below decks.    

• Like 9
30 minutes ago, Lark said:

it has nothing to do with trailer weight, ballast or displacement.   I think it’s some obscure 1960s or 70s system based on how much marijuana the crew can stash below decks.    

Because no one could afford that much coke.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, pironiero said:

What does quarter\half\one-tonner means?

why is it called like that?

Simply put; They were used to categorize the different rated lengths of boats to allow them to race at level(ish) ratings.

This is likely your best source for the detailed answer. http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-international-offshore-rule-part-1.html

The One Ton Cup was presented in 1899 for competition by the One Ton restricted class. At the time, these were "linear tons" and the boats were around 17 feet LWL. When the International Rule because popular, the One Ton cup was raced for by 6 Meters until 1962. In 1965, the Cercle de la Voile de Paris declared it should be used for yachts sailing boat for boat at a specified RORC rating of 22.0. When IOR arrived a few years later, this was changed to 27.5 IOR. Quarter, Half, 3/4 and Two Ton levels were established during the heyday of IOR.   

• Like 7
36 minutes ago, A3A said:

The One Ton Cup was presented in 1899 for competition by the One Ton restricted class. At the time, these were "linear tons" and the boats were around 17 feet LWL. When the International Rule because popular, the One Ton cup was raced for by 6 Meters until 1962. In 1965, the Cercle de la Voile de Paris declared it should be used for yachts sailing boat for boat at a specified RORC rating of 22.0. When IOR arrived a few years later, this was changed to 27.5 IOR. Quarter, Half, 3/4 and Two Ton levels were established during the heyday of IOR.   

Yes, that's right.  The half-ton size was the first derivative of the one-ton, for the Coupe Internationale de l'Atlantique sailed in La Rochelle in 1967.  Since this was also a level-rating event in the RORC rule, a smaller version of the one-ton cup, some wag in London suggested "half ton" and the name stuck.

Next was the quarter-ton, then three-quarter ton, two-ton and mini-ton.

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Don’t forget the mini tonner!

I nearly bought one of them back in the day. There were some pretty boats around.

Smokey + The Choirboys on trailer.jpeg

15 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

I nearly bought one of them back in the day. There were some pretty boats around.

Waiting for someone to chime in about how ugly Stephen Jones designs were.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

Got an invite yesterday to sail on an Irwin mini tonner in a Sunday series. I’m going to take the couple up on their offer for the thrill of it. 

And just to show how soft we have become, you used to be allowed to do a 200 mile ocean race in a mini toner.

Now you can’t be trusted to sail in dark in boats that even self right.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Livia said:

And just to show how soft we have become, you used to be allowed to do a 200 mile ocean race in a mini toner.

Now you can’t be trusted to sail in dark in boats that even self right.

I did the 1975 Fastnet in a half-tonner.  And dozens of Channel and North Sea races, many over 200 miles.  It was considered quite normal.

• Like 4

The 1/4 Ton Cup used to have a 200 mile race as part of the World Championship.

A little reflected glory - my old boat Fred Again won it at Corpus Christie in the year the NZ lightweights made their appearance and cleaned everyones clock around the buoys.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, sshow bob said:

Didn't IOR adopt the one ton class name  because the trophy was available? 

Yes, as above, but before IOR.  RORC Rule.

But the OTC is one of the most beautiful Art Deco trophies in our sport. 

Here's Dawn Riley with it.  It's 10kg (22lbs) of solid silver, plus the plinth.

One Ton Cup - Wikipedia

• Like 1

Actually it is somehow the reverse situation !!

The Yacht-Club which had founded the One-ton-Cup had regained their cup in the early sixties, just to face the demise of the 6mR class, no more challenges !!

One of their officers, Mr Peytel conceived the brilliant idea to promote level-class racing within the then burgeoning fleet of RORC racers. (If you want to find competitors follow what owners are buying)

Such was the success of the two first events that the "Ton-classes" were born ......

Peytel was even quoted saying "we had planned on a friendly meeting of the French, Brits and Belgians and ended up unexpectedly with a major international event"

What a fascinating time it was! A boat 34 feet long and displacing 3300 Kg measured „below 24,5 feet" and was thus called a „3/4 Tonner“. 

... All clear?  :wacko:  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, P_Wop said:

I did the 1975 Fastnet in a half-tonner.  

There were still half-tonners doing it in 1993. IIRC they had a grand-fathering opt-out of the stability requirements. Don't recall seeing any later than that but could be wrong. I did 1993 on a 33 footer, after which the owners decided to  buy a bigger boat.

11 hours ago, Livia said:

You mean mini-tonner rather than quarter-tonner? I used to race a mini-tonner, good fun but even when I was young and stupid,  I'd have passed on doing a 200 mile race on one. Downstairs was just a hole smelling of petrol into which the outboard was man-handled. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

There were still half-tonners doing it in 1993. IIRC they had a grand-fathering opt-out of the stability requirements. Don't recall seeing any later than that but could be wrong. I did 1993 on a 33 footer, after which the owners decided to  buy a bigger boat.

Silver Shamrock finished 2H in 2017

https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/results/2017/rfr-irc-four-b01.html

ISORA_Silver_Shamrock-0065.jpg

• Like 3
On 7/15/2021 at 4:38 AM, dogwatch said:

You mean mini-tonner rather than quarter-tonner? I used to race a mini-tonner, good fun but even when I was young and stupid,  I'd have passed on doing a 200 mile race on one. Downstairs was just a hole smelling of petrol into which the outboard was man-handled. 

200 miles is a long way for a mini 

It is similar to the meter rule. 6,8,12 Meter boats have nothing to do with such measurements. It is a formula where certain values  when multiplied and divided gives that result.  

It's called the Ton class because it's a ton of fun.  It was also fun to race MORC tiny boats in big classes ["Trina"] come in last and win everything.  Little boats taught me the stealth anchor technique where we could pull ahead by not going backwards with the current.

• Like 2