• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few snapped from hurst

A small sample of the many hundreds of photos I took today from the Hurst Castle vantage point. Skorpios, Hugo Boss, Apivia, 11th Hour Racing etc. I will add more tomorrow when I have time t

If I was involved with a boat where checking the keel bolts that often was considered necessary in a lumpy sea I would not be doing the Fastnet on it.

Posted Images

Is the Fastnet improved by finishing in France? Time will tell but I reckon this challenging race just became more challenging. The potentially fast moving tidal currents of The Alderney Race will challenge yacht navigators and decision makers when they are tired towards the end of the race. Any thoughts?

I read somewhere that our friend COVID may change the start and finish methods;

The French leave France and sail thru the start line without landing and the English will sail thru the finish line and head back to England.

5 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

I read somewhere that our friend COVID may change the start and finish methods;

The French leave France and sail thru the start line without landing and the English will sail thru the finish line and head back to England.

....and rescuing a MOB from a boat from another country is not permitted!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

....and rescuing a MOB from a boat from another country is not permitted!

No problem rescuing a foreign MOB, but if that MOB is not vaccinated, you'll have to quarantine at sea for two weeks before finishing. 

• Like 4

Are vaccination passports mandatory for the race and can you ask an MOB to see his/her passport before you rescue them? Can you throw them back?:o

• Like 1

Editorial this morning is BOLLOCKS. France is 100% open to vaccinated UK arrivals, and can even recognise the NHS QR code! It is the UK that screws things up. The amber+ category is how the UK sees France, due to fiction about high Beta variant cases (which is true of part of France - Reunion and another Indian ocean territory!!!). UK imposes quarantine on all arrivals from France, with an exemption for professional mariners, and this quarantine applies to French, British of whatever arrivals from France into UK.

Facts are useful.

Cherbourg has not taken individual bookings for boats. Who knows when each will arrive? Whole zones of the marina and port are set aside for the fleet, even going as far as to propose a "free port" zone where UK sailors could come ashore to dedicated facilities without mixing with locals, other than those specifically health approved and checked. Word is that UK authorities will not go along with this?

• Like 3

we are being told (latest missive from RORC) that we can land... BUT UK will make us quarantine on arrival back to UK :-(

seriously disappointed that we will miss experiencing the amazing  French sailing hospitality 
BUT being an optimist, we have 2 weeks for UK Govt to change their mind at the last minute... not that they have any history of that  :-)

• Like 1

Because of the crush expected from the Fastnet, Cherbourg is not taking reservations for transient cruisers either. "We'll try and find you a spot." seems to be the prevalent response.  Sounds like Block Island on a weekend.  

Does anyone know what time this starts on Sunday UK time?

We're hoping to be able to sail down to Hurst Point where it is very narrow and anchor to watch the fleet go by, but we can't seem to find it anywhere?

55 minutes ago, Adventure Trimarans said:

Does anyone know what time this starts on Sunday UK time?

We're hoping to be able to sail down to Hurst Point where it is very narrow and anchor to watch the fleet go by, but we can't seem to find it anywhere?

Section 13 of the SIs. https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/downloads/2021_docs/rorc_fastnet_sailing_instructions_web.pdf

First start is multihulls at 1110 down to IRC0 at 1240. Boats coming through Hurst from 1130 depending on wind strength? It's only 10 miles from the RYS line, which doesn't take long at 20+ knots.

You won't see much from the anchorage at Keyhaven, better to dinghy ashore and watch from the beach.

10 hours ago, Snowden said:

You won't see much from the anchorage at Keyhaven, better to dinghy ashore and watch from the beach.

I was gone say best viewing by far is from the top of Hurst Castle, but I vaguely remembered having read something, and indeed the nearly half a century old fort partly collapsed just this February.

It's a beautiful area, at the bottom of the New Forest.

And @Adventure Trimarans, with a shallow draft multihull you can anchor in the inside cove, then it is only a short walk to the end. And with a bit of luck you can still climb on top of the "castle".

BTW, has anyone found the race on YB tracker yet?

I doubt you would be allowed anywhere near the castle, let alone the roof, especially in its current perilous state….

Why bother with Keyhaven lagoon at all? Try parking (or gently motoring on station) as close as you dare to the shore and spit end in the much calmer current/back eddy in the small relatively deep bay close to the spit on the northern side and have all the comforts of your yacht?

54CF1011-7FD9-41D7-AA72-B997A60DFD6C.jpeg

Thanks very much Snowden, for some reason I was struggling finding it.

We'll be on our 6m trimaran so the plan is to anchor up off the beach by the lighthouse in the narrows there and sit back on the tramps/bench seats and watch from what would be pretty close by.

I've marked the shallow area where we have anchored up previously in our sea kayak to watch various events.

Currently it is claiming W/WSW and 14-20 knots for Sunday morning so hopefully they should be shifting along quite nicely!

We'll head down to Lymington on Saturday afternoon and stay there overnight and the wind forecast on Sunday should mean we will get a lovely run back up to Calshot in the afternoon once they have scooted past.

Looking forward to it, but the weather forecasts of late have been worse than ever so we will have see what it is like closer to the time!

hurst anchoring point.jpg

• Like 2

I shall be parking up and walking to Hurst Point/Castle with my long lens camera (100-400 + 1.4 TC) to take some action shots. May even take one of a 6m trimaran anchored off .....  ;-)

3 hours ago, ttc546 said:

I shall be parking up and walking to Hurst Point/Castle with my long lens camera (100-400 + 1.4 TC) to take some action shots. May even take one of a 6m trimaran anchored off .....  ;-)

See you there!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ripple Rider said:

no idea about the crew list for any competitor. Would be interesting to know though. Surely she is favourite for Line honours monohull!

Best I can find is the published entry list. 

https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/downloads/2021_docs/rfr21_entries_030821.pdf

yeah the irc rating is 2.149, be interesting to see how rambler can do against it, considering they are tuned up.

some VO65's have higher ratings than the VO70's, i assume because the 70's are 1st generation?

IRC rating is always an interesting discussion when being measured. 
So many good boats in the fleet across all divisions. A huge fleet of two handed racers across various divisions and the growing Class40 boats. 

Weather at this stage looks like they will be punching into a westerly at the start then it gets really interesting heading back to Cherbourg for your average boat, not talking about IRC0, Volvo boats or monster multihulls etc.

Plus the currents around the Alderney Race and Cape la Hague will test the navigators as they are tired approaching the final stages of the race. 

3 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

yeah the irc rating is 2.149, be interesting to see how rambler can do against it, considering they are tuned up.

some VO65's have higher ratings than the VO70's, i assume because the 70's are 1st generation?

May have something to do with some of the VOR65's new sails that the 70's wouldn't have.? There has been much sail development in the VOR65 class.

59 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

May have something to do with some of the VOR65's new sails that the 70's wouldn't have.? There has been much sail development in the VOR65 class.

Perhaps the 70's have been optimised for IRC whilst the 65 are in their "one design" Ocean Race configuration

• Like 1
On 8/3/2021 at 9:53 AM, Adventure Trimarans said:

Thanks very much Snowden, for some reason I was struggling finding it.

We'll be on our 6m trimaran so the plan is to anchor up off the beach by the lighthouse in the narrows there and sit back on the tramps/bench seats and watch from what would be pretty close by.

I've marked the shallow area where we have anchored up previously in our sea kayak to watch various events.

Currently it is claiming W/WSW and 14-20 knots for Sunday morning so hopefully they should be shifting along quite nicely!

We'll head down to Lymington on Saturday afternoon and stay there overnight and the wind forecast on Sunday should mean we will get a lovely run back up to Calshot in the afternoon once they have scooted past.

Looking forward to it, but the weather forecasts of late have been worse than ever so we will have see what it is like closer to the time!

hurst anchoring point.jpg

watch out for us on Pegasus (open50 )raising awareness of Parkinson's disease

• Like 4

If it is likely above 20 knots, then I will have to bail as my wife won't want to come out to play with me and is very unhappy with me solo sailing due to current health problems.

Bit of a head fuck - Hopefully it will be reasonable so I can watch it and have a lovely day but also like it to blow up and watch them getting stuck in.

Ho hum....

Looks like it is going to be pretty gnarly between Hurst and the Needles….. a lot of disturbed air and boat wash too.

Try going around the corner as I originally suggested. A lot more protection there. Come into the beach and walk across the spit?

Sidecar, it will be fine parked up in the lagoon - it is more the getting there and back which will probably be choppy as all buggery, and my wife is not so keen on that.

We'll wait and see what is going on Saturday am and make a decision then as it changes pretty well hourly from sunny to gales and floods.

We'll wander down and watch if we don't sail as we only live round the corner. We'll have to drive 40 minutes to the boat in Calshot then sail it down and moor up in Lymington overnight then scoot round Sunday am or drive 10 minutes to go and watch it from the beach...

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sidecar said:

Looks like it is going to be pretty gnarly between Hurst and the Needles….. a lot of disturbed air and boat wash too.

Try going around the corner as I originally suggested. A lot more protection there. Come into the beach and walk across the spit?

Not only the boat wash causing a lumpy gnarly sea state but the wind against tide effect will make for sharp steep waves in that area. 

Here is the forecast Tidal Current stream courtesy of Tidetechmarinedata.com

image.thumb.png.3e442424d8085f63640ae619e634f219.png

On 7/16/2021 at 5:56 AM, Ripple Rider said:

What are the positives and negatives of finishing in France?

What will the weather do?

Who will win? Line honours or handicap?

positives food, 

negatives logistics, extra cost, extra time , more french competitors 

33 minutes ago, aussieinlondon said:

there was no need to change the finish of this race 

I  disagree, and I say that as a Devonian.  Hopefully it gives them a kick up the arse, and that SailGP is a sign of change in the council and event organisers.

S2H is limited to 100ft.

6 minutes ago, aussieinlondon said:

positives food, 

Agree

negatives logistics, extra cost, extra time , more french competitors 

Disagree, disagree, agree, agree (but I see that as a positive).

Of course those points are going to be subjective.  For me, I would love to nip down to Plymouth and see the missus finish, but actually they would dip the line and sail back to the Solent anyway, so the cost is exactly the same whether the finish line is in Plymouth or France.  

In a non covid world they would have considered stopping in France, but still would not have stopped in Plymouth.

i thought the point of changing the finish to make it a more party atmosphere aka hobart ? 

it will be interesting to see if the majority of the fleet in a normal year cross the line and head back to uk or moor up 

logisitcs are easier than returning from hobart 

33 minutes ago, aussieinlondon said:

i thought the point of changing the finish to make it a more party atmosphere aka hobart ? 

it will be interesting to see if the majority of the fleet in a normal year cross the line and head back to uk or moor up 

logisitcs are easier than returning from hobart 

I think you are right, I am merely talking from a personal perspective.  I have never had a good finish experience in Plymouth out of the 5 or 6 Fastnets that I have done.

Of course, there used to be boats that would then stay in Plymouth post Fastnet and do Dartmouth or other Westcountry regattas, hopefully they won't be adversely affected.

First night weather is looking quite punchy at the moment, but changing rapidly.

2 hours ago, Potter said:

Of course, there used to be boats that would then stay in Plymouth post Fastnet and do Dartmouth or other Westcountry regattas, hopefully they won't be adversely affected.

I was worried about this, but numbers for Dartmouth are roughly the same as 2017/19. Good turnout in smaller boats that might not be doing the Fastnet anyway, only one boat rating over 1.100

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Ripple Rider said:

Not only the boat wash causing a lumpy gnarly sea state but the wind against tide effect will make for sharp steep waves in that area. 

Did loads of Round the Island and RORC offshore races, including 4 Fastnets, during my time in the UK. The Needles channel, especially near the Shingles bank is not a nice place to be at any time in a 20+knot westerly against tide. Lots of boat wash makes it worse. One Fastnet, we had a maxi  roll over us there in those kind of conditions. Boat went from 20 degrees leeward heel to 20 degrees windward heel and then back again all in a flash. And it was very wet!

3 hours ago, Potter said:

I have never had a good finish experience in Plymouth out of the 5 or 6 Fastnets that I have done.

^^^^^ This. I would rather finish in Cherbourg.

Do we know if there will be live coverage of the start?

I hope Skorpios has done a lot of shakedown work.  I'd love to see a great race for LH between them and R88, mixed in with the tier 2 multis, followed by intrigue about corrected time results for those who can get in before the wind goes too light...  But...  I have a gut feel that Skorpios will incur some kind of malfunction.  Too new for high confidence of finishing in breezy conditions.

On 8/4/2021 at 6:46 AM, bigrpowr said:

Generation and declared sails. A4 etc.

HW

18 hours ago, Sidecar said:

Did loads of Round the Island and RORC offshore races, including 4 Fastnets, during my time in the UK. The Needles channel, especially near the Shingles bank is not a nice place to be at any time in a 20+knot westerly against tide. Lots of boat wash makes it worse. One Fastnet, we had a maxi  roll over us there in those kind of conditions. Boat went from 20 degrees leeward heel to 20 degrees windward heel and then back again all in a flash. And it was very wet!

The photo in my avatar is of a yacht over the Shingles Bank at the start of the 89 or 91 Fastnet. Looks gnarly.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

The photo in my avatar is of a yacht over the Shingles Bank at the start of the 89 or 91 Fastnet. Looks gnarly.

Thanks for pointing that out, clicking twice on it brings out a great picture indeed.

Portland Bill has probably the most exiting race of all. May tell you about a totally crazy non-rounding in a light westerly at night, sometime later. For now this video will do I hope:

On 8/4/2021 at 11:44 AM, SSolo said:

watch out for us on Pegasus (open50 )raising awareness of Parkinson's disease

A worthy cause! I saw Pegasus being taken apart and put back together very rapidly in the yard at the start of the season, impressive work! Will watch you blow past on the start :lol:

20 hours ago, aussieinlondon said:

a fastnet with a decent breeze and no Comanche ??? 

Pretty sure the Big C is entered for the 2021 Middle Sea Race but not F/net.

And the latest from the RORC:

https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/en/videos/1060-one-day-to-go

New start order:  “The wind angle now makes it fully upwind at the start so we’ve made this change principally to make it safer for the big boats to get through Hurst Narrows,” explained Chris Stone, Race Director of the Rolex Fastnet Race.

Fuck the safety of the small boats? The Class 40's and possibly the 60's will still need to watch out, but they are all pro's and it will be simple port/stbd situations, going with the tide too. Hope to see some good helicopter or drone footage with wet and mast breaking stuff, just to stay awake, you know. -_-

Not one day but 8 hours to go now:

5 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

The YB tracker is live already, fun to see the boats coming across from France, and where the others are.

Screenshot_20210808-140325.thumb.png.0c8dba6d35bdd0aea5a5a17df0e0248c.png

Awesome. Can't wait to see this. Got the big screen ready. Cold Tap Beer on the go. So many great boats to watch, the Imoca's , The Class 40's, the handicap boats, Rambler and the new Skorpios. 

On 8/7/2021 at 7:43 AM, Tender said:

Any chance to log on to the skippers briefing…, or do I need a password…?

Just noticed on Youtube, a bit boring, but with the weather at 14'.

50 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Awesome. Can't wait to see this. Got the big screen ready. Cold Tap Beer on the go. So many great boats to watch, the Imoca's , The Class 40's, the handicap boats, Rambler and the new Skorpios. 

And not to forget, the 4 Ultimes for the race record:

Actual, Yves Le Blevec.
FRA 17 Maxi Edmond De Rothschild, Cyril Dardashti.
FRA 73 Sodebo Ultim 3, Thomas Covill.
FRA 80 Ultim’emotion 2, Antoine Rabaste.

8 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

And the latest from the RORC:

https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/en/videos/1060-one-day-to-go

New start order:  “The wind angle now makes it fully upwind at the start so we’ve made this change principally to make it safer for the big boats to get through Hurst Narrows,” explained Chris Stone, Race Director of the Rolex Fastnet Race.

Fuck the safety of the small boats? The Class 40's and possibly the 60's will still need to watch out, but they are all pro's and it will be simple port/stbd situations, going with the tide too. Hope to see some good helicopter or drone footage with wet and mast breaking stuff, just to stay awake, you know. -_-

Not one day but 8 hours to go now:

I think this is just badly phrased. The safety of the small boats with a 125ft boat short tacking through the fleet at the Hurst Narrows is a pretty valid argument for sending the big boats first. 

Having skippered a biggish boat when we started last, it was bloody terrifying trying to avoid everyone short tacking out of the narrowest point of the race course. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, wildbirdtoo said:

The fastnet tracker is very annoying-  not live, and drops boats....

Going to have to wait for everything to settle. So many boats, so much data to process.! 

3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Gitana is gone 25 Knots.. Sodebo doing 3.1 Knots..? 

Franck is driving. He never lets Charles drive. 

Sodebo's tracker update in the middle of a tack?

20 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Going to have to wait for everything to settle. So many boats, so much data to process.! 

Nupe it's how many people are trying to access the site, the data from the boats is not the problem

10 minutes ago, TPG said:

IRC3 bumper boats on the line.

May have been Bellino, current season leaders in 2 handed, but showing as retired on the tracker. 

Gutted if that is the case. 

Random find this... Was in a café on an island off west cork spotted these on the wall, mad it's been 10 years since 

R100.PNG

R100-2.PNG

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, TPG said:

Skorpios just can't shake Rambler

I think about 800M ahead doing .4 knots better VMG than Rambler but no surprise really. New boat so many cross overs for them to digest and Rambler 88 at the peak of her racing. She's a solid well sailed boat not holding back. Skorpios looked a little tender to me eye? I'd be surprised if Skorpios doesn't retire with some sort of issue so Rambler still favorite to win this for the Monos. Charal and Arkea overtaken Apivia.? 

I think there's a tracking problem with Apivia- dropped off my official tracker completely, but still well ahead on marine traffic live

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, staysail said:

The official tracker is useless for us. LiveShips is our best option at the moment. Gitana just tacked to go between Guernsey and Alderney!

Oops! meant to say VesselFinder. Seems quicker to update and you can see which boat is which more easily.

4 hours ago, Potter said:

I think this is just badly phrased. The safety of the small boats with a 125ft boat short tacking through the fleet at the Hurst Narrows is a pretty valid argument for sending the big boats first. 

Having skippered a biggish boat when we started last, it was bloody terrifying trying to avoid everyone short tacking out of the narrowest point of the race course. 

^^^^^This. Even more scary for the little boats.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, staysail said:

....and what have they done to Apivia? 18 and a half knots upwind in 24 kts breeze!

They seem to have put afterburners on- he hasn't dropped much below 18knots for the last hour.  1-2knots faster than Charal. Amazing!

Have got some cracking photos from the vantage point of Hurst Castle. Will edit and post tonight. Scorpios looked quite relaxed but going well.