• Like 3
  • Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few snapped from hurst

A small sample of the many hundreds of photos I took today from the Hurst Castle vantage point. Skorpios, Hugo Boss, Apivia, 11th Hour Racing etc. I will add more tomorrow when I have time t

If I was involved with a boat where checking the keel bolts that often was considered necessary in a lumpy sea I would not be doing the Fastnet on it.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Well it looks like, over the new Fastnet course that it WAS the fastest

Yeah shame about that Shanghai seems a lot of people were really hoping Skorpios would fail. Shame about that. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, corkob said:

As Rambler hasn’t retired after finishing it looks like either the race committee or a competitor will have to protest her. It will be up to Rambler to bring evidence prove she avoided the TSS / exclusion zone and left it to port. Effectively this would mean she will have to show her GPS track from her plotter. I am familiar with a recent protest on this very point where some boats entered a TSS contrary to the rules. They allowed an error margin of 1.2 miles on the YB tracker. After that it was up to the skipper to show a GPS track to say he hadn’t gone into the TSS. Same would apply to this exclusion Zone. In the case I am familiar with a 20% time penalty was imposed on all offending boats. However in that race the TSS was not a mark of the course unlike this race.

You make some valid points. There is also a likelyhood nothing will come of it. Wouldn't bother me personally as I like George David, seems like we all make honest mistakes but I'm sure somebody somewhere won't see it that way.! 

13 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Sailing Niceynice

with credit where it's due to MSG

• Like 1

I am guessing that the proviso to leave the Fastnet FSS to port was to have it act like a standoff mark to help prevent collisions, especially during night roundings. I does look like Rambler 88 didn't leave the TSS completely to port.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

I am guessing that the proviso to leave the Fastnet FSS to port was to have it act like a standoff mark to help prevent collisions, especially during night roundings. I does look like Rambler 88 didn't leave the TSS completely to port.

Yeah you can watch her track in slow mo for anyone interested via the Race Tracker, just click on Rambler and follow the play prompts etc she rounds the mark and head straight back the way she came. 

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah you can watch her track in slow mo for anyone interested via the Race Tracker, just click on Rambler and follow the play prompts etc she rounds the mark and head straight back the way she came. There was talk that Apivia may have done the same thing? Not so I've watched hers too

7 hours ago, MasterRobin said:

So when they finish, according to the SI's this form has to be completed...

2021-08-11 15_20_20-Window.png

Yes, but if you think you have sailed the correct course, and are oblivious to the fact that you didn’t, Rambler signs this with a clear conscience.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I like Scorpios, but it was 6th over the line behind three "shorter" 100ft, one 80ft and one 70ft trimaran. 

That's a bit like saying 'I like Messi, but he's sadly a tad slower than Usain Bolt.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I like Scorpios, but it was 6th over the line behind three "shorter" 100ft, one 80ft and one 70ft trimaran. 

All the official 'blurb', even the Yachting World video calls it the fastest 'MONOHULL' racing yacht

SO what's your point? Or are you just nit picking to add to your clicks? :P 

7 minutes ago, Matagi said:

That's a bit like saying 'I like Messi, but he's sadly a tad slower than Usain Bolt.

That is brilliant Matagi. Didn't Usain Bolt try out for  soccer team by the way? And didn't make it - he he

The IRC52 Tala is having a glamour last few miles, they now have virtual lead in IRC Zero and 2nd IRC overall. Current overall leader is the HH42 INO XXX just 50 miles behind them but looking like they're about to sail into lighter winds and stronger adverse currents....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yes I know they are finished but the tracker is still trying to track them but not working in showing their position so I was wondering if this was effecting their handicap position. This has occured with many trackers so thats what I was referring to

I see your point but the leaderboard shows their finishing time and the corrected time beside it so unless someone has got some coding wrong it should be locked in. BTW I started writing an update and she had slipped to 29th. Went for a bite to eat and came back and she was 32nd.

Doesn't look too good for those still out there with a small windless system pushing up from the south

• Like 1

We have any numbers yet to make Commanche/Skorpios comparisons?

What did Skorpios show when it was light?   At a glance it’s a beefed up Wild Oats and would expect it then to move better than the Indian in light stuff.

1 minute ago, blunderfull said:

We have any numbers yet to make Commanche/Skorpios comparisons?

What did Skorpios show when it was light?   At a glance it’s a beefed up Wild Oats and would expect it then to move better than the Indian in light stuff.

She's a Juan K with a typical fat ass. WOXI was - she's been altered so often - (I think) originally designed by R/P she's quite a bit 'skinnier' than Comanche or Skorpios

Just now, shanghaisailor said:

She's a Juan K with a typical fat ass. WOXI was - she's been altered so often - (I think) originally designed by R/P she's quite a bit 'skinnier' than Comanche or Skorpios

Is Skorpios that fat?   She looks more stretched out than Indian.   Will ck the numbers.

After what Commanche has shown in light stuff I imagine Juan K would want something better.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Hugo Boss 2nd last of the Imocas.! That's a kick in the arse for the boat and the team if they care? And please someone don't say but it's a downwind boat only.! LOL 

15:26 and the website results page tells me it hasn't finished yet. Did it actually cross the line?

58 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

All the official 'blurb', even the Yachting World video calls it the fastest 'MONOHULL' racing yacht

SO what's your point? Or are you just nit picking to add to your clicks? :P 

Eh I tried to hide the post as I knew it wouldn't be constructive, I apologise, I fell for your own click bait.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

I see your point but the leaderboard shows their finishing time and the corrected time beside it so unless someone has got some coding wrong it should be locked in. BTW I started writing an update and she had slipped to 29th. Went for a bite to eat and came back and she was 32nd.

Doesn't look too good for those still out there with a small windless system pushing up from the south

Just found these, which are independent from the YB leaderboard and therefore won't have the risk of continued tracking causing confusion (and also won't have confusing results from projections using wild temporary VMGs):

https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/en/raceresults/results-2021

https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/results/2021/rfr-irc-overall02.html

I'm not sure when they put those up...  I didn't see them a couple days ago.

Anyway...  Rambler and Skorpios' goals aren't IRC results, which is good because they aren't correcting out well.

Notice the penalty comment on Viva Mexico.  Perhaps a similar penalty will be applied to Rambler, assuming someone notices/cares.  But...  With them at the back of IRC Zero's rankings as well as having not won Line Honors, will anyone care enough to make an issue of it?  I kinda think they need to, for the basic integrity of the event and the SI, but on the other hand, presumably they want Rambler and team to come back next year.

The class-specific IRC results also include comments about when each boat must finish by in order to get their best-possible remaining result.

Whomever wrote the SIs made a mistake.  That is the RC so if Rambler is protested or scored with a penalty, they have a case for redress.  SI 16.2 clearly states that all TSS zones are Obstructions.  In Appendix B, the TSS zones ARE listed as Marks.  So, the RC created confusion with its document, which is an error or omission.

8 minutes ago, The Profit said:

Whomever wrote the SIs made a mistake.  That is the RC so if Rambler is protested or scored with a penalty, they have a case for redress.  SI 16.2 clearly states that all TSS zones are Obstructions.  In Appendix B, the TSS zones ARE listed as Marks.  So, the RC created confusion with its document, which is an error or omission.

Where does it say that those two things are mutually exclusive?

The rock itself is certainly an 'obstruction' (i.e., I would not attempt to sail through it'), as well as a mark.

9 minutes ago, The Profit said:

It can be both. Rule 19:

19.1. When Rule 19 Applies

Rule 19 applies between boats at an obstruction except
  1. when the obstruction is a mark the boats are required to leave on the same side, or

It may be unusual for an obstruction to be a mark in dinghy racing, but its fairly common in ocean racing (e.g. events such as round the world, round britain or even round the island become meaningless otherwise)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, The Profit said:

So, the RC created confusion with its document, which is an error or omission.

If the RC created confusion, how come every other competitor managed to figure it out?...

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, The Profit said:

Enlighten me. Where in the RRS does it say that a mark cannot be an obstruction? For example in the same race is not the Bishop's Rock a mark of the course but also a bloody solid rock of an obstruction, for example for Skorpios stretching out to the the contour line which she requires to clear it.

RYA 1962/8 (A ruling in the case book that has clearly stood the test of time) makes reference to "an obstruction that is not also a mark" implying that they could both be one and the same. in many races an island or similar is a mark of the course BUT it is also an obstruction. 

In the case of the Fastnet TSS it is a mark of the course - it has a side on which boats have to pass and it is an obstruction, an area into which boats cannot sail. 

You weren't on Rambler were you? Just kidding!

Redress denied.

17 minutes ago, The Profit said:

Um, no.  The TSS is clearly listed as an obstruction.  All classes must sail the course.  The course is defined by the marks.  Some of the marks are obstructions.  The two are not mutually exlusive.

Class 40 is shaping up to have 9 boats racing for podium spots.  Good close racing.  Particularly if the diminishing winds as the approach the finish cause fleet compression.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

The Race Tracker shows her track and that shows she did not leave the TSS exclusion zone to Port.! 

I mean, technically she did also leave it to port... Unless you are a flat earther!

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

It can be both. Rule 19:

19.1. When Rule 19 Applies

Rule 19 applies between boats at an obstruction except
  1. when the obstruction is a mark the boats are required to leave on the same side, or

It may be unusual for an obstruction to be a mark in dinghy racing, but its fairly common in ocean racing (e.g. events such as round the world, round britain or even round the island become meaningless otherwise)

Much more succinctly put than my ramblings above enigmatically2

1 hour ago, The Profit said:

The Fastnet TSS is an obstruction and a mark of the course (twice, before and after the Rock). The other TSSs are only obstructions. Appendices A and B seem clear to me.

https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/downloads/2021_docs/rorc_fastnet_sailing_instructions_web.pdf

1 hour ago, eltelatron said:

I mean, technically she did also leave it to port... Unless you are a flat earther!

Funny, yes. I guess she left it to port on the way there and then opted to leave it to starboard on the way back.

2 hours ago, The Profit said:

Plenty of races use an obstruction as a mark. Doesn’t cause any confusion at all. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Reference said:

They RC could have eliminated any doubts - or option to round it incorrectly -  by simply extending the Fastnet TSS all the way to the rock.

If you've gone through all the paperwork that is required to even make it to the line, I think the RC has confidence in your abilities from there onwards. 

Mistakenly, maybe.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Reference said:

They RC could have eliminated any doubts - or option to round it incorrectly -  by simply extending the Fastnet TSS all the way to the rock.

Maybe they could paint yellow arrows on the water pointing the way.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Reference said:

In case you were unaware (you might not be and I apologise in advance if you knew this) the TSS is defined not by RORC but by the IMO, sailing vessels are supposed to cross them only at 90 degrees but preferably avoid them altogether. Some competitors kept ignoring this requirement so RORC made them exclusion zones, and for this one only, passing marks, I guess in theory they could extend the exclusion zone to the rock, but then you eliminate the option to tack / gybe up to the rock in otherwise navigable water, so instead they put it as a mark to be left to port each time.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone noticed this but Rambler has DNF'd and is classified 291st. I checked the race's social media channels but there is no mention of this, ultimately perhaps unimportant, piece of news. Anyway, what vindication for the keen tracker followers on this site! 

(If you were wondering, the race's social media channels are all a bit more celebratory and "visit Cherbourg" in character. I don't think there's anything wrong with this.) 

Rambler DNF.jpg

Rambler DNF2.jpg

• Like 3

Refreshing to see a boat "do the right thing" after realizing "they did the wrong thing", particularly at that level.  Major international sport is littered with cases of high-level performers making a mistake and then fighting to try to prove that they didn't or that they should be exonerated or whatever.  Major mistake on their part, but classy decision to acknowledge the mistake.  (Assuming they did so, rather than just bring scored DNF independently by RORC).

For a lower-level program, it wouldn't be too hard a mistake to make...  You know the rock is a mark, and you know the TSS is a TSS...  They rounded the mark and avoided the TSS.  They just failed to realize that the TSS was also a mark.  But for a program at that level, that mistake shouldn't happen.  At least it didn't cost them a fleet podium or a line honors trophy.  Hopefully the owner had fun anyway.

• Like 2

Well done to Rambler, and the people on board.

Sad thing is that on the Australian scene they would have been some excuse, justification like:

"We are all pros who sail all over the world and you are a fuckwit for questioning us."

"We will lodge the declaration as see if we get away with it"

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Thisnametaken said:

They knew...Capture.thumb.PNG.6568337fa63737f0bd8502ab7e8960b3.PNG

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Refreshing to see a boat "do the right thing" after realizing "they did the wrong thing", particularly at that level.  Major international sport is littered with cases of high-level performers making a mistake and then fighting to try to prove that they didn't or that they should be exonerated or whatever.  Major mistake on their part, but classy decision to acknowledge the mistake.  (Assuming they did so, rather than just bring scored DNF independently by RORC).

For a lower-level program, it wouldn't be too hard a mistake to make...  You know the rock is a mark, and you know the TSS is a TSS...  They rounded the mark and avoided the TSS.  They just failed to realize that the TSS was also a mark.  But for a program at that level, that mistake shouldn't happen.  At least it didn't cost them a fleet podium or a line honors trophy.  Hopefully the owner had fun anyway.

NSC (Not Sailed Course) is a score given by the Race Committee.  If it was the boat retiring then it would be scored RTD.

EDIT - I think retiring would be the correct thing to do.

1 minute ago, shanghaisailor said:

Go onto IRC Overall in the tracker, scroll down, you will see her at 291 with no finishing time against her

She is shown as being "RET" Retired 

• Like 1

Strong breeze out by Fastnet Rock now, with fast downwind conditions filling in from there toward the finish over the next day plus...  It'll be interesting to see if any of the IRC4 boats can go fast enough to move up the IRC Overall board, or if 3,5 days of slogging upwind is too much to overcome.

Looks like about a dozen boats remain to get around the rock.  A few more if you count the ones that haven't cleared the TSS on the return leg yet.  (With that wind angle, they won't really be able to bear off and go fast until after they clear the TSS).  I hope they can all get around without facing too much heavy stuff.

Funny, though...  It seems like more than half the boats that haven't reached the rock yet are IRC3, not IRC4.

FWIW, I kinda like what Xanaboo is doing.

28 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

She is shown as being "RET" Retired 

That would be the correct course of action for not sailing the course. Used to be RTD or RAF but not sure when ISAF changed the designation. Just Checked my old rules books - 2017. Shows how long these terms live in us old guy's memories. Mast abeam anyone?? he he

• Like 3

The 2021-2024 new RRS includes a new provision for the RC to score a boat NSC if there is evidence they did not sail the course.  In the past, someone would need to protest.

Easier for RC and PC, harder for competitors....but probably fair.

• Like 2

I see a JPK1180 in with a shout of the overall at the moment

11 minutes ago, The Profit said:

The 2021-2024 new RRS includes a new provision for the RC to score a boat NSC if there is evidence they did not sail the course.  In the past, someone would need to protest.

Easier for RC and PC, harder for competitors....but probably fair.

60.2  or 60.3 do not specify where information comes from except it cannot come from an invalid protest. The way the rules read generally if they don't say you can't do something then you can. So if the Race Committee or Protest Committee (or any member) actually viewed the tracker )live or in replay) and saw Rambler 88's track they could protest. 

The wording is unchanged since at least 2009

I dug deeper in my library and "When a race committee (a) sees an apparent infringement by a yacht......and shall act thereon in the same manner as if it had been a protest made by a competitor"

So the wording has changed but the basic intent remains the same.

The above is a quote from the Paul Elvstrom Explains The Racing Rules of Sailing 1967, my first rule book.

On 8/10/2021 at 2:35 AM, DarkHorse said:

Where are the TP52s? They regularlly win most of the offshore events, yet I only see one IRC52 (Tala) sailing. Yes, no foils, but still some of the fastest boats around. just seems odd.

Tala finished 3rd overall and 1st in division.  Not bad going.

Everyone is talking about the semantics of retiring or DNF or disqualified. I cannot fathom how this would happen at this level. There’s like 5 marks of the course, the TSS being one of those. Again. I don’t want to get into semantics of what’s an obstruction or a mark. I really cannot believe what I was witnessing when they rounded the rock. Surely they will follow the course correctly I thought... Simply unforgivable...

Afrayed,

Have you ever done that job?

In large teams, it can get incredibly messy, with many many competing 'demands' from the seemingly infinite number of stakeholders.

Two handed would be easier!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Afrayedknot said:

Everyone is talking about the semantics of retiring or DNF or disqualified. I cannot fathom how this would happen at this level. There’s like 5 marks of the course, the TSS being one of those. Again. I don’t want to get into semantics of what’s an obstruction or a mark. I really cannot believe what I was witnessing when they rounded the rock. Surely they will follow the course correctly I thought... Simply unforgivable...

It does beg the question given she's won the race twice.! Having said that perhaps different personnel onboard, different navigator who knows? I'm tipping they planned what they were going to do long before they got to the Rock and then simply executed their plan? Not all lost though other than their pride as their results weren't what they were aiming for. Would have been tragic if they were winning handicap or LH IMO...George is a lovely guy huge heart has looked after the sailors who have been part of his team so I have full admiration for the Rambler gang. Sometimes shit happens..! 

50 minutes ago, Frogman56 said:

Afrayed,

In large teams, it can get incredibly messy, with many many competing 'demands' from the seemingly infinite number of stakeholders.

Yeah really good point. Spare a thought for the Chris Nicholson team during the Volvo race when they hit the shoals at around 20 knots.! Now that was catastrophic and it was later deemed partly due to a rushed departure for that leg and not being zoomed in on the chart plotter. Proper preparation and studying charts and course prior to departure is always prudent. Messy as you say is often the result of many things....

1 hour ago, Frogman56 said:

Afrayed,

I have not done that job per say but I have been a part of programs that large and at that level.

21 hours ago, moody frog said:

The other point of interest was watching the boats handling the final and eastern TSS (direct line or detour) . I saw "Argo" and the last and slow Ultim gain in taking the risk (the "slow Ultim" made back most if not all of their deficit on "Skorpios") when one could watch the very slow finish of both "Gitana" and "Sodebo".

We might see different approach in route making in the future simply as boat are exceeding the speed of the wind which make some adverse current favorable to them. If you look at AC or SGP boats, they are often seeking to go against the tide to maximize VMG (as it increases the apparent wind and their speed by more than the current offsetting the disadvantage). This definitely applies to the Ultim.

Is anyone able to access the current position on the tracker this morning?   Mine is not working properly (both browser and phone version) and shows yesterdays positions for some boats (others current).

Edited by wildbirdtoo
Updating situation
9 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

We might see different approach in route making in the future simply as boat are exceeding the speed of the wind which make some adverse current favorable to them. If you look at AC or SGP boats, they are often seeking to go against the tide to maximize VMG (as it increases the apparent wind and their speed by more than the current offsetting the disadvantage). This definitely applies to the Ultim.

;) exactly what I suggested.

Incidentally, the sensitivity to wind angles also showed in the battle between Sodebo and Actual. One tack perpendicular to the direct route for Sodebo, shortly after Fastnet, resulted in a significant advantage  by the Scillies where Actual regained as much by a different routing between TSS.

IMHO: so different beasts that hv nothing to do in what shd be a pure IRC race.

Just checked again, and cannot find anything on the Rambler fuck up yet, other than the ramblings in this thread.

This thing is not going away, certainly not on SA, until some people take the blame, one way or another. 

Here they are in much happier times, after winning line honours last time. It seems most of them were back this time:

yysw259896.jpg.9acb158a9eff81709c194e62cad67707.jpg

Photo Carlo Borlenghi, I believe.

Q: Who was the bowman who told them so?

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Just checked again, and cannot find anything on the Rambler fuck up yet, other than the ramblings in this thread.

This thing is not going away, certainly not on SA, until some people take the blame, one way or another. 

Here they are in much happier times, after winning line honours last time. It seems most of them were back this time:

yysw259896.jpg.9acb158a9eff81709c194e62cad67707.jpg

Photo Carlo Borlenghi, I believe.

Q: Who was the bowman who told them so?

Fiji of all people..! Scroll up to my pic above it's a screen capture of Rambler via the Fastnet Tracker showing "RET" Retired.! 

2021-08-12.png.b4e07381ba32e2efdbf11981ab730bb3.png

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, GBH said:

Jules Salter, 4th from R in the pic above...think he'll be in hiding for a day or two:)

Jules has a great reputation.! I don't know his Fastnet record but the guy has been everywhere.! Honest Mistake.? Did BB make the call.? Strange.? :(

16 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Jules has a great reputation.! I don't know his Fastnet record but the guy has been everywhere.! Honest Mistake.? Did BB make the call.? Strange.? :(

Yeah.

Worse things have happened (I'm looking at you, Wouter. :)

I hate this 'heads must roll' mentality that has become the norm, esp. in sports.

And let's not forget: This way, Rambler was not 'defeated'. :)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, kawalski said:

No sure if this has already been asked, why can some of the TSS zones be rounded either side, as seen at lands end. but the fastnet has to be rounded to port?

The Fastnet TSS is listed twice as a mark of the course (to be left to port both times), the others are not.

1595482807_ScreenShot2021-08-12at11_14_28.png.13e45d438541bf2173bfcb4270bc5f2d.png

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Fiji of all people..! Scroll up to my pic above it's a screen capture of Rambler via the Fastnet Tracker showing "RET" Retired.! 

Oh Terror, read again what I said.

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

You're just rambling again..., my friend.

• Like 1

BTW:

Fantastic performance by Störtebeker, the HVS boat from Hamburg.

2nd place in iRC 0 for what is a new boat for the club.

It's a youth campaign, skippered by Katrina Westphal.

She is an architectural student from Hamburg and only 25 years of age!

DSC03028.thumb.jpeg.3b3e8490b4ce475c2ddf2363a1ef3747.jpeg

Fantastic job, immensely proud of you lot!

Here they are, I captured them a week before the start as they made a stopover in Cuxhaven:

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Frogman56 said:

Afrayed,

Not sure about that last sentence. Having navigated on a full crewed boat and then double handed (when also the skipper) I think the double handed was much harder. Less time, more tired and stressed, less opportunity to bounce ideas off anyone else. Also when on the fiddly bits you can't just navigate but are also involved in sail handling etc.

Not sure how good some of my decision making was in reality (though definitely  good enough in outcome for the race, some of the decisions did in retrospect have a fairly high risk factor!)

• Like 1

The slightly slow to update tracker is making it difficult to follow the last battle between Henry and Shirley on the SF3300 Swell and the JPK 1030 Leon! I’m gunning for Swell to take it after the hard work they’ve put into their campaign.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JL92S said:

The slightly slow to update tracker is making it difficult to follow the last battle between Henry and Shirley on the SF3300 Swell and the JPK 1030 Leon! I’m gunning for Swell to take it after the hard work they’ve put into their campaign.

Its frustrating! That's the race I'm following too. They don't seem to update at the same time... I hope the speeds shown are representative.. quite a battle .. fingers crossed for Swell

22 minutes ago, wildbirdtoo said:

Its frustrating! That's the race I'm following too. They don't seem to update at the same time... I hope the speeds shown are representative.. quite a battle .. fingers crossed for Swell

Henry made some serious decisions about the setup of the 3300 based almost entirely on aiming at the Fastnet.  Water ballast, Spi Pole, and others, have counted against him earlier in the season, but they have always been clear that the Fastnet was their aim.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, JL92S said:

Which of these two will have the edge on the last downwind miles ahead of them?  Swell seems to have a knot more at the moment but what will happen as it lightens up the closer they get?

39 minutes ago, dolphinmaster said:

Which of these two will have the edge on the last downwind miles ahead of them?  Swell seems to have a knot more at the moment but what will happen as it lightens up the closer they get?

.. Difficult- Wind forecast to veer to west and strengthen slightly over the next 6 hours, and then back. As for tides.. guess they are both in  similar seas.   Fingers crossed-  Swell may take line honours for IRC3, but to beat Leon on handicap  I think Swell need to finish about an hour ahead ... it will be interesting, to say the least. 

• Like 1

Hugo Boss gets clobbered AGAIN.  10th in division.  How embarrassment !

How did you do in any IMOCA race EVER?    Fucking chair jockey says what?   Do you have the longest sponsorship relationship in shorthanded racing, ever?     Please post your race history and results so we can compare.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:

I think Swell will maintain their lead but when it lightens up near the finish I think it will be anyone’s guess. My gut says Leon will take it at the end but I really hope Swell hold on! Henry is a master of system sailing but hoping paired with Shirley they can figure out the last few miles

• Like 3

It's not over till the fat lady sings and I may be am biaised, but if anyone can pull a trick in the area it's Alexis Loison on Léon. Not only is he from Cherbourg and this is his backyard,  he also is a Figaro sailor who escaped the fleet in the Alderney race and won by a huge margin.

Edit, looks to me they will go through it again, give a massive advantage to local knowledge (Leon & Raging Bee)

I'm giving up with the official tracker.   Marine tracker has them and shows their current positions. . Looks like  Raging Bee has quite a chance for an IRC win. Very close to Leon, and has a smaller handicap.  Swell is cracking along, currently around a knot faster. I guess quite a chance for line honours,  but I'm guessing isn't far enough ahead to win on handicap.