TOP 20 ROCK GUITAR SOLOS OF ALL TIME Rick Beato

Needless to say everybody has their own opinion on this subject.  I like most of his selections except I would switch numbers 1 and 2 around.

If you have never watched this guy, he's good.  His series "What Makes This Song Great" is an excellent breakdown of the song with detailed explanations and demonstrations.  If you are a guitar nerd he gets deep in the weeds with explaining the chords and keys and deep details that will make the music theory nerds ecstatic.  

Check out his channel it's chock full of stuff, interviews, explanations, demonstrations and much more.  Plus he is a hell of a guitarist.

Throw in your own favorites here.

• Like 2
Just now, Wetabehindtheears said:

Unless I missed it because I scrolled through the video, I didn’t see anything about Alex Lifeson of Rush. His solo in La Villa Strangiaro should be up there as one of the best. IMO of course.B)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eK1hmDpa8bo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There is a Rush solo from Alex Lifeson in the video.  #18

if you listened to his intro he made it clear that these are his favorites for various personal reasons and he knows people will have a different list.

3 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

There is a Rush solo from Alex Lifeson in the video.  #18

if you listened to his intro he made it clear that these are his favorites for various personal reasons and he knows people will have a different list.

:rolleyes: Duh! Thanks for setting me straight.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

he knows people will have a different list.

I've 4 in 1st place and I can not separate them .....

listed alphabetically ....

BB King

David Gilmour

Eric Clapton

Gary Moore

• Like 2

My candidates. Can’t pick one.

Scorpions, sails of charon

Prince, while my guitar gently weeps live

Eruption

Beat it

Crazy Train

Sultans of swing

Hotel California

Comfortably Numb

Gary Moore, walking by myself live

UFO, Rock Bottom live

Michael Schenker, Into the Arena

• Like 1

CL's post got me thinking about Fleetwood Mac.  I think this is an incredible solo from possibly the most underrated guitarist in the history of rock music.  The solo starts at 3:48.

Fleetwood Mac is in my opinion on of the rare bands in which every member is incredibly good at what they do.  Probably the worlds best pop/rock band ever.  And after all the years of their interpersonal relationships and chaos, they are one of the tightest rock bands ever, Fleetwood and McVie lay down such a solid rhythm you could build a house on it.  Add in two outstanding female vocalists, excellent songwriting and a great lead guitarist and what's not to like?  Even if you don't like them you have to admire their talent.

Although I love Stevie Nicks and have ever since I first heard her, I am still very pissed off at her for throwing Lindsey out of the band a few years ago and I'll never forgive her for it.  I saw them in Berlin a couple of years ago and while they were still great even though every member of the band is 70 years old or older, it just wasn't the same without Lindsey.  They needed 2 guitarists to replace him.

It is so hard to pick a favorite Fleetwood Mac song but this one that Lindsey completely owns is a front runner.

2 hours ago, KillickThere said:

Lindsey Buckingham is a great player who wrote tons of great material. That band just goes to show you though, that no matter how old you get the the interpersonal emotional shit never goes away.

Ps. Robin Trower “Daydream”

Speaking of Robin Trower, this guy, Rayn McGarvey has a similar sound and is quite a guitarist.  I saw him a few years ago at a small outdoor rock festival in Germany (he's American) and I talked to him after his set.  Very nice guy and a very talented guitarist.

Snore...............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ................... Snik, snuffle,,,,,, Gzzzzzkkk Gah! Erm..... Oh! Yes I'm awake! What a boring top 20.

• Like 1

Definitely Prince "While my Guitar gently weeps"

12 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I agree re: Buckingham, he usually knew how to interpret a song and when to give it a shot of guitar then fade back again, or when “less was more” throughout the tune. I always enjoy listening to him way in the background scratching thru the verses and the sweet solo work on “Hold Me”. Pretty simple song with interesting nuances, and quirky fun video:

• Like 1

But really, when it comes down to it…hard to beat both of Gilmour’s solos in “Comfortably Numb”. The first one gently tugging, then the second one ripping at the soul.

Lots of great input here, threads like this are the best of SA imho.

• Like 1

And while I’m at it, Clapton’s many performances of “While my Guitar Gently Weeps” have been pretty stellar but the one that stands out for me was at the “Concert for George” held on the one year anniversary of Harrison’s passing. Keltner, Ringo and others on drums, Macca, Preston and Holland on keys, Alvin Lee, Ray Cooper, Dhani Harrison, Gary Brooker, Lynne, Capaldi,  I can’t list all of the others…EVERYBODY was somebody. When it came time for THAT solo, they just kept in the groove and let Clapton go: I’ve never seen him dig that deep and seem to “lose himself” so much while playing that solo. “Concert for George” is highly recommended if you’re even remotely a Harrison fan; some very sweet moments and excellent performances by many of his friends and band mates. The backstory of everyone that gathered for this concert is impressive. An excellent tribute.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, WhoaTed said:

But really, when it comes down to it…hard to beat both of Gilmour’s solos in “Comfortably Numb”. The first one gently tugging, then the second one ripping at the soul.

Lots of great input here, threads like this are the best of SA imho.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

i love that Gary Moore played that on Peter Green's Les Paul.

Other Guitarist: "How good are you?"

Gary Moore: "BB King plays rhythm guitar for me"

(shamelessly stolen from another SA'er, don't remember who)

I've never really been that much into searing, soaring, insert intense adjective here, leads. OTOH I love music and certainly there are guitar leads that evoke the emotion and movement of any great instrumental.  Many many many guitarists can play really good, really emotional-sounding, leads. But if you go too far in this direction, even a little bit, you end up trying to be Yngvie Malmsteen (an awesome musician, no disrespect intended... but all that sturn und drang went nowhere).

Who remembers TRIUMPH, or Captain Beyond? And if you want to talk lead guitar, and don't hit Alvin Lee, then you're not just off the tracks you don't know where the tracks are

- DSK

12 minutes ago, spankoka said:

Robert Fripp can certainly play in this league. Tomoyasu Hotei is probably just underrated here because he is Japanese. 

Hard to find Fripp solo's other than with Bowie and Eno (Baby's on Fire).

I think he's one on his own. Probably my favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OvW8Z7kiws

solo around 2.45

19 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Went to see that tour in Victoria with my son.  Unforgettable.  I've been a Tony Levin fan ever since.

As for the top 20 list posted by the OP: he chose the bridge solo in Comfortably Numb.  The ending solo is better.  Something from Prince would have been better than some of his other choices.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Autonomous said:

How about one from Buckethead? IMO his finest work.

I like Buckethead but in this case I think the original played here by a friend of ours has far finer guitar licks.  Not quite rock music but I just thought it would be good to post this for comparison. 

Waldek is a professor of classical guitar in Wroclaw but he also plays a fine electric guitar.

I thought I was the only one who appreciated Neal Schon’s work, especially the solos on “Stone in Love”; good to see it on this top 20. Joined Santana’s band around age 15? Pffft, yeah the guy can play:

And this killer work by Elliot Randall; a guy named Jimmy Page commented to the effect that this is his favorite guitar performance:

More Randall:

7 hours ago, WhoaTed said:

And while I’m at it, Clapton’s many performances of “While my Guitar Gently Weeps” have been pretty stellar but the one that stands out for me was at the “Concert for George” held on the one year anniversary of Harrison’s passing. Keltner, Ringo and others on drums, Macca, Preston and Holland on keys, Alvin Lee, Ray Cooper, Dhani Harrison, Gary Brooker, Lynne, Capaldi,  I can’t list all of the others…EVERYBODY was somebody. When it came time for THAT solo, they just kept in the groove and let Clapton go: I’ve never seen him dig that deep and seem to “lose himself” so much while playing that solo. “Concert for George” is highly recommended if you’re even remotely a Harrison fan; some very sweet moments and excellent performances by many of his friends and band mates. The backstory of everyone that gathered for this concert is impressive. An excellent tribute.

Last evening was The Concert for Bangladesh, tonight The Concert for George.  Layla Revisited Live by the Tedeschi Trucks Band CD will show up today.  We've got tickets to see them in November.  It will be our first show in a long time.

At the end of Johnny Winter's set at one of Clapton's Cross Roads Festival Derek leans over and says to Johnny, "That was fun".

The tread sounds like my record collection.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Last evening was The Concert for Bangladesh, tonight The Concert for George.  Layla Revisited Live by the Tedeschi Trucks Band CD will show up today.  We've got tickets to see them in November.  It will be our first show in a long time.

At the end of Johnny Winter's set at one of Clapton's Cross Roads Festival Derek leans over and says to Johnny, "That was fun".

The tread sounds like my record collection.

I saw Eric Clapton in Berlin a few years ago.  Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall played with him  Trucks was quite good and Bramhall was no slouch either.

Just to stir the pot a little.  Here you go.

If you haven't subscribed to Rick Beato's YT channel yet, what are you waiting for.  It is a treasure trove of encyclopedic rock music knowledge and much more.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:02 AM, loneshark64 said:

My candidates. Can’t pick one.

Scorpions, sails of charon

Prince, while my guitar gently weeps live

Eruption

Beat it

Crazy Train

Sultans of swing

Hotel California

Comfortably Numb

Gary Moore, walking by myself live

UFO, Rock Bottom live

Michael Schenker, Into the Arena

Nice list 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Just to stir the pot a little.  Here you go.

If you haven't subscribed to Rick Beato's YT channel yet, what are you waiting for.  It is a treasure trove of encyclopedic rock music knowledge and much more.

I have now, Beato’s YT channel is a keeper. Thanks for starting the thread Ed.

• Like 1

Not one you can find; more of a “ no shit, there I was…” moment.

1985 or 86. Likely 6 as I seem to remember through the haze that it was frigidly cold. So cold I almost skipped the concert because I didn’t want to stand outside in line. 

Some of the original members of the Byrds and other 60’s has been had reunited for a bit (it’s not on their bio but it was definitely them and that time period). They played a gig at my university. 

4 guitarists and a bassist. First set they were all so wasted they could barely stand. I remember one of the Clark’s was so out of it he wasn’t hitting the strings as he strummed. I almost left but a friend convinced me to stay (they that bad).

Second set they must have found some great cocaine because they all came out sharp and tight. High energy, lots of jams. They broke into ‘8 Miles High’ and lit it up. Face melting guitar work by all 4 players, taking turns with long solos, etc. Way more intense playing then any Dead show I’d ever seen. I remember checking my watch and they went well over 15-minutes. Put ‘Dark Star’ to shame…

Yeah. 

Carry on. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Mahogany Rush said:

Not one you can find; more of a “ no shit, there I was…” moment.

1985 or 86. Likely 6 as I seem to remember through the haze that it was frigidly cold. So cold I almost skipped the concert because I didn’t want to stand outside in line. 

Some of the original members of the Byrds and other 60’s has been had reunited for a bit (it’s not on their bio but it was definitely them and that time period). They played a gig at my university. 

4 guitarists and a bassist. First set they were all so wasted they could barely stand. I remember one of the Clark’s was so out of it he wasn’t hitting the strings as he strummed. I almost left but a friend convinced me to stay (they that bad).

Second set they must have found some great cocaine because they all came out sharp and tight. High energy, lots of jams. They broke into ‘8 Miles High’ and lit it up. Face melting guitar work by all 4 players, taking turns with long solos, etc. Way more intense playing then any Dead show I’d ever seen. I remember checking my watch and they went well over 15-minutes. Put ‘Dark Star’ to shame…

Yeah. 

Carry on. 

Sad news indeed!   :(

YouTube won't allow the link to imbed. 

Frank playing Voodoo Child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPUjWIKAYvU

29 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Jeff Beck

I love Jeff's various interpretations of this song (written by Curtis Mayfield).  You may have noticed a similarity to the John Mayer song "Waiting on the World to Change"?  No hack on Mayer, he is brilliant in his own way, and I'm sure many other songs have used similar chord progressions -- Mayfield was probably not the first.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:17 PM, Steam Flyer said:

And if you want to talk lead guitar, and don't hit Alvin Lee, then you're not just off the tracks you don't know where the tracks are