Newick Triad Capsize?

On 7/17/2021 at 6:06 AM, Ovakus said:

First, glad to hear that everyone made it to shore uninjured. 

Does anyone know if the sailboat involved in this:

https://seacoastcurrent.com/really-lucky-three-rescued-from-sailboat-in-ocean/

was this Newick designed tri? 

http://www.sailtriad.com/triad.html

Anyone know more about the capsize?

11 hours ago, Bruno said:

Bruno, the article you link to makes no mention of a capsize that I can see.

Ovakus, I saw this incident posted on FB and have the same question.  The boat is the right length and color and looks like a Newick in the video.  IIRC I recently saw that Triad was put up for sale for $95k.  Perhaps this was a catastrophic demonstration sail or maiden voyage for new owners?  The mystery intrigues me. What is the rest of the story?

Waiting for the owner to share his experience. He has a lot on his plate right now trying to effect salvage operations.

• Like 1

There were two press releases put out by two of the participating skippers after the race.

Both accounts detailed what each of the skippers would have liked to have occurred - sound familiar?

From Tom himself:

Tom Robinson-Cox

We were sailing from Casco Bay in Maine to home port in Gloucester; on the nose all the way. When 30 miles out we tacked in towards shore for 10 miles, saw cumulus and rain in distance ahead and tacked back to south to evade but storm cell caught us. We rounded up and sheeted out as wind increased when there was a big shift and wind burst to maybe 40 which capsized us sideways in 2 seconds- no time to release sheets. Storm cell past over within 5 minutes . Salvage operation underway. In hindsight, a deep reef would have been good when it was still blowing 10- 15; I figured we could outrun or heave to
Hindsight is 20-20. 

What a guy! At 73 he swam back underneath on a breath hold to retrieve the EPIRB and he’s back out now trying to get his boat salvaged. I know several guys half his age who would have sat on top of their overturned hull and pouted. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, EarthBM said:

Video of recovery is on FB

how did they keep track of it? Epirb had to be switched off, presumably all other electronics were shot. 

https://m.facebook.com/DeterminationMarine/

From the first linked article:

"The boat itself was left in the water and marked off so other mariners are aware of its presence. Its owner is working with a commercial salvage company to have it removed."

4 hours ago, unShirley said:

From the first linked article:

"The boat itself was left in the water and marked off so other mariners are aware of its presence. Its owner is working with a commercial salvage company to have it removed."

Okay, marked off how?

42 foot with 28.5' beam and a relatively shorter mast height of 53 feet (... as reported on SA thread)  sailing in 10-15 knot winds with fully hoisted mainsail and working jib. This just before the squall struct with ? 40kn ? winds.

A bit of an eye opener that she went over. We have a 50' mast on a 40'X26' and I've always considered the full hoist on our main to be sailing with the better part of a first reef already in.

I wonder how much the solid decks of the Newick design play into this... versus webbed trampolines that might allow a bit less sail area? Here is a screen shot of Triad as she came back up during salvage 

Anyone have an opinion on this aspect of deck windage when flying an ama?

TRIAD.png

1 hour ago, 2flit said:

42 foot with 28.5' beam and a relatively shorter mast height of 53 feet (... as reported on SA thread)  sailing in 10-15 knot winds with fully hoisted mainsail and working jib. This just before the squall struct with ? 40kn ? winds.

A bit of an eye opener that she went over. We have a 50' mast on a 40'X26' and I've always considered the full hoist on our main to be sailing with the better part of a first reef already in.

I wonder how much the solid decks of the Newick design play into this... versus webbed trampolines that might allow a bit less sail area? Here is a screen shot of Triad as she came back up during salvage 

Anyone have an opinion on this aspect of deck windage when flying an ama?

TRIAD.png

Dragonflies have a comfortable-to-walk-on but very dense mesh. Like 25% open. In puffs off the swells it did feel like it was catching. Then when a smaller Df28 capsized in a race (search YouTube “no escape for Escape”) Ian Farrier opined that the sense mesh was a factor. It made me want to switch to the knotless dyneema from Net-sys, but I never got around to doing it