Favorite/Best Female Rock Singing Voices

Has anyone mentioned Maria Muldaur?  Midnight at the Oasis and Doncha Feel My Leg?  Damn, when she sang the latter live, working her hand up insde that crazy high slit dress, it was as sultry and sexy as it gets. 

8 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

While I appreciate that Janis had a particular style that worked for her, I think of her more of a screech/rasp sound rather than a really great voice.

What makes a great voice? 

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Has anyone mentioned Maria Muldaur?  Midnight at the Oasis and Doncha Feel My Leg?  Damn, when she sang the latter live, working her hand up insde that crazy high slit dress, it was as sultry and sexy as it gets. 

I saw Maria at a small neighborhood bar in Grand Rapids two years ago (Tip Top Deluxe Bar & Grille, great little place), she was traveling between larger shows and had an open Sunday afternoon/evening. We assumed it would be an awesome time and were not disappointed, she has a particular appreciation for blues and belted it out. Everyone including her and the band had a great time, great lady to hang with on a rainy Sunday.

• Downvote 1
7 hours ago, valis said:

I could have started a "Best Female Blues Singing Voice" thread, but screw it -- it's going here.  I'm not saying she's the best, but damn, she's good. 

No worries, she's got zero problem hangin with rock heavyweights as well...time for more Beth Hart...

• Like 1
16 hours ago, quod umbra said:
17 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Chille youre littelle willey and stoppe tackeng swippes at Ed................                           :)

Listen you, I'll put you back in the drawer until you learn some damn manners.
Am I making myself clear?

Ist the oune withe wooden heade suppoeste to be in charge?                                               :)

Yes, Joan Osborne!  This one isn't pure rock, but it really shows off her talent.  From the film "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" (which I helped make):

I love watching this -- I got to know the Funk Brothers pretty well, and most of them have since passed away.  The drummer "Pistol" Allen (sitting on the right) died while the film was in post-production, but he got to see this clip from his hospital bed.  Seeing the joy on his face during the song outro makes me so happy that we did this film.  Joan was a real pro -- We did multiple takes of her two songs (look for "Heatwave"), and every take was essentially perfect.  She has one hell of a voice, and talent, and attitude.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:
On 7/18/2021 at 11:12 AM, Ed Lada said:

Nobody cares what you think Crisco.  

Ed you miserable old broken down Walter Mitty wannabe renaissance man cunt,
Just remember, Im here occasionally because I choose to be.
People like you and Sloopy have nothing else to live for, and have no other options.  
Except for secreting away photographs of very young Eastern European girls in suggestive poses you probably
lured them into with American candy bars and menthol cigarettes. The rest of us can watch them bus tables at our local marina
restaurant for free if we were into that. I'm sorry your life sucks and a premature death will be a welcome relief for you. Just remember they are the only
one who will miss you when you are gone. But please don't project your misery onto the rest of us. We all saw Steve Miller or whomever the fuck  play live 40 years ago when stoned. We don't need your version. By the way, where is your latest blog entry?  I want to take a nap soon and want something to bore the hell out of me,  And who the fuck measures their hands? That's fucking creepy!  I need to go now. Now once again, stop stalking me and piss off before I report you to the moderators.     

Realley, ist true, nobobey cares what you thick crisco.................                             :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

Ed you miserable old broken down Walter Mitty wannabe renaissance man cunt,
Just remember, Im here occasionally because I choose to be.
People like you and Sloopy have nothing else to live for, and have no other options.  
Except for secreting away photographs of very young Eastern European girls in suggestive poses you probably
lured them into with American candy bars and menthol cigarettes. The rest of us can watch them bus tables at our local marina
restaurant for free if we were into that. I'm sorry your life sucks and a premature death will be a welcome relief for you. Just remember they are the only
one who will miss you when you are gone. But please don't project your misery onto the rest of us. We all saw Steve Miller or whomever the fuck  play live 40 years ago when stoned. We don't need your version. By the way, where is your latest blog entry?  I want to take a nap soon and want something to bore the hell out of me,  And who the fuck measures their hands? That's fucking creepy!  I need to go now. Now once again, stop stalking me and piss off before I report you to the moderators.     

Bitter much Crisco?   :lol:

Gotta differentiate between best vocalist and best singing voice. Two different things. My picks for best singing voices (who hit the big time) are Nancy Wilson, Benatar, and Ronstadt.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Mark K said:

Gotta differentiate between best vocalist and best singing voice. Two different things. My picks for best singing voices (who hit the big time) are Nancy Wilson, Benatar, and Ronstadt.  

LR never liked her own voice.  I think it was one of the things that led to her becoming a bit of a recluse.

I like to use the ability to modulate vibrato frequency as a measure of singing ability.  Only the best have that ability, IMHO.  It is the reason I can't stand Celine Dion.  Nancy Wilson definitely had it, and so did Linda Ronstadt.

I just learned that she was diagnosed with PSP.  That is an awful disease - it took my sister, and in a terrible way.  I hope she finds a better way out than my sister did.

6 hours ago, Mark K said:

Throw in Annie Haslam from Renaissance and Sharon den Adel from Within Temptation and you have some of the finest female voices in rock music.

Couple of Sineads to put out there, Sinead O'Connor's Mandinka is one of the all time great female rock vocalist performances.

A little less known, a maybe known more for folk than rock is Sinead Lohan but she could rock with the best of them:

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj0Yz6q3zEk&feature=share

She's probably better known for her cover of Dylan's 2 Ramona, don't listen to this if music moves you.

https://youtu.be/8nHwILs8bdo

Not a rock screamer but to me she has it all, presence, power, songwriting skills and licks.

Plus, she never sold a single record because she flashes a lot of skin.

OK, We need a little Nanaimo in this mix of female vocalists.

Well, you have to have a little Norah Jones in here as well.....

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I wonder what the blues greats would have sounded like with modern recording?

beautiful, 

I love-love-Nina Simone... I wouldn't put her as one of the greatEST singers but she certainly was very skilled with her voice and very expressive. IMHO the beauty of her music is in the overall arrangement and musical expression. For example, this song

Is it rock'n roll? I don't know, but it damn sure says "I put a spell on your ass!"

- DSK

The greatest

I feel like this is cheating because I posted one of their videos... different song, same album... dunno why this group self-destructed but they were loaded with talent and this lady could sing like no other!

- DSK

On 7/17/2021 at 1:49 PM, D.M.D. said:

Diane Lane

Loved the movie.  Have it on VHS somewhere and the CD too.  Don't think I picked up the DVD though.

DL is certainly easy on the eyes but somehow I doubt she was the singer we hear.  Just checked the wiki:

"Jimmy Iovine produced five of the songs for the film and the soundtrack album.[5] For Ellen's singing voice, he combined the voices of Laurie Sargent and Holly Sherwood, billing them as 'Fire Incorporated'. The Attackers were the real-life (Face to Face) bandmates of Sargent, who provided the lead vocals on Ellen's songs "Nowhere Fast", "Never Be You" and "Sorcerer", and supporting vocals on "Tonight Is What It Means to Be Young".[5] The version of "Sorcerer", composed by Stevie Nicks, that was featured on the actual soundtrack album was performed by Marilyn Martin. The version of "Never Be You" that was featured on the soundtrack album was performed by Maria McKee."

• Like 1
On 7/18/2021 at 12:53 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

got to add a few more

Siouxsie Sioux

Kim Deal

Melissa Etheridge

Shirley Manson

Trivia fact, I went to Jr High and High School with Kim & Kelly Deal.  Didn't hang in the same circles through.  Bought a couple of Pixies albums but just couldn't get into the music.

10 hours ago, Rain Man said:

LR never liked her own voice.  I think it was one of the things that led to her becoming a bit of a recluse.

I like to use the ability to modulate vibrato frequency as a measure of singing ability.  Only the best have that ability, IMHO.  It is the reason I can't stand Celine Dion.  Nancy Wilson definitely had it, and so did Linda Ronstadt.

I just learned that she was diagnosed with PSP.  That is an awful disease - it took my sister, and in a terrible way.  I hope she finds a better way out than my sister did.

I don't think she quite said that.  What she said was that she was always dissatisfied with her recordings, thinking she could always do better or had missed a possibility.  

She stopped touring and performing when she thought her voice had deteriorated due to Parkinsons, wasn't able to deliver what she thought people could be asked to buy tickets to hear.  Not that they wouldn't pay, but that she didn't feel justified in asking.

Properly using the word, she was a unique person.

One of my favorite bits was her learning Spanish so she could sing her family's folk songs.  And then became a huge hit in Mexico in the 80's.  As Dolly Parton said, she could sing anything.

11 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Forgive me.  Do you mean Ann Wilson?

Nancy did some singing in Heart too.

Agree with 99% of above mentioned ladies.

Pat Benetar

Stevie Nicks

Chrissie Hynde

Debbie Harry

Joan Jett

Alanis Morrisette

Gwen Stafani

Pink

Annie Lennox

Sheryl Crowe

Amy Winehouse

Melissa Etheridge

Natalie Merchant

Ann Wilson

Grace Slick 

Christine McVie

Sarah Mclachlan

belinda carlisle

Sussana Hoffs

We can argue about what constitutes a "rock" singer forever.  But the previous mention of Susan Tedeschi is where I'd start.  Bluesy and gutsy all day.  The Tedeschi Trucks Band is just about the best thing out there for those of us who never want to let the blues rock of the '70's die out.

And for pure vocal talent, I give you the luminous Morgan James.  This is simply the best cover of Dream On there is.  

And this gem:

She's so good, you can just listen and enjoy.  But feel free to look at her too.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, quod umbra said:

Or maybe not.....

Jon Anderson, the long running lead vocalist for the Prog Rock band YES said that when digital recording came about, he was excited and jumped in with both feet. He then had a change of heart after reviewing the recordings. He just felt that the sound he got using analog captured his emotion and feeling where-as digital recordings muted all that.

Oh, Jeez...not this again.  

6 hours ago, quod umbra said:

Or maybe not.....

Jon Anderson, the long running lead vocalist for the Prog Rock band YES said that when digital recording came about, he was excited and jumped in with both feet. He then had a change of heart after reviewing the recordings. He just felt that the sound he got using analog captured his emotion and feeling where-as digital recordings muted all that.

shadow, was he using monster cables?

• Like 1
20 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Nancy did some singing in Heart too.

Agree with 99% of above mentioned ladies.

Pat Benetar

Stevie Nicks

Chrissie Hynde

Debbie Harry

Joan Jett

Alanis Morrisette

Gwen Stafani

Pink

Annie Lennox

Sheryl Crowe

Amy Winehouse

Melissa Etheridge

Natalie Merchant

Ann Wilson

Grace Slick 

Christine McVie

Sarah Mclachlan

belinda carlisle

Sussana Hoffs

Based on that list, better add KD Lang.  Better voice control than 99% of singers in any category.  This performance still gives me goosebumps.

• Like 2
On 7/17/2021 at 6:57 PM, kunos said:

Alannah Myles

She get my vote too

4 hours ago, cyclone said:

Nice guitar solo by Susan

The thread is on a bit of a Susan T. jag (deservedly so), my favorite vocal of hers overall was singing with Tommy Shannon, Chris Layton and the rest of Double Trouble post-Stevie. She’s released this tune done a few different ways, but the vocals and playing on this performance are in my Top Ten tunes of all time:

• Like 1

I think we're missingthe point Linda, Dolly, Benatar and some of the others have world class all time voices and vocal performances, Aretha, Diana, Whitney too. They could sing the alphabet and make it sound great they chose their genres but any one of them would be equally good singing other types of music as well. The artistry comes from how they sing their songs and what they do with them because all of them have the diffinative songs that they sing. This cannot be an objective choice it has to do ith the song when you heard it and what it meant to you. I would say all of the above meet the loosely defined crteria of the original psot's question. 

• 4 weeks later...

Tina Turner is right up there.... Ricki Lee Jones.....  Pat Benetar.... Janis Joplin..... Annie Lenox...... Chrissie Hynde...... Natalie Merchant....... Johnette Napolitano.... It's like asking "Beatles, or Stones. which one could you live the rest of your life never hearing again, PLUS, all memory of them would be wiped out."

The first time I heard a recording of Eva Cassidy was at around 4:30 am on a drive to the airport to catch a very early morning flight.  She had just blown up big in England, unfortunately posthumously, and NPR did a feature on her.  Her voice was magical, even on our crappy car stereo.  I bought all her cds when we got back from our trip.  No, she wasn't rock.  Nor was she gospel, folk, jazz, country, blues, or any other genre.  But she sang them all, carefully curating the material she chose, and made each song she chose her own.  Her sense of pitch was extraordinary, and her timing innovative and exquisitely perfect.  But her tone was something else altogether. Truly a once in a lifetime talent.

She worked outdoors in a nursery and died at age 33, of cancer, unknown and penniless.   

No You Tube clip.  She covers songs you know well.  Pick one.  Any one.            

K.D. lang - she was the headliner at a UBC "welcome back concert" about 1984 or 1985. She was in her country-torch singer early days. Even though we were all confused by her performance, you could tell her singing was amazing.

image.png.65d47025870ab434a54319f08b16fde6.png

Florence at Glastonbury 2010 is a favorite performance

I love Amy Winehouse's voice.

I like Janis but nobody can say she had a great voice; she had great passion.

Love Chrissie Hynde

image.png

I've got vague recollections of this band absolutely kicking it somewhere mid 90's at one of the Lollapollooza shows. 

I'll throw it in as an if not the best a definite favourite.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:05 PM, valcour said:

Merry Clayton.  Backing vocals on “Gimme Shelter”

Watch “20 feet from stardom”. A fantastic documentary on female backup singers.  Highly recommend. 

Merry Clayton or Lisa Fischer, On Gimme Shelter, both so much better than Jagger

• Like 1