Aqua Signal Series 41 LED equivalent

I just replaced one of my Aqua Signal bow lights. It (as the others) has a 25W 12 volt filament bulb. I would love a 12V LED (2 mile) equivalent. No where I have looked, nor any of the bulb shops I have been to can help. Any ideas?

I've been really happy with the Marinebeam bulbs.  Most LEDs are apparently really noisy and interfere with radio and other gear.  This company's bulbs are well filtered and quiet.  They also have some really interesting "tech" bulbs with smart aspects, like being red when one hits the switch, then changing to white if you hit it again within a few seconds.  Prevents accidental night blindness plus can convert a white light into a night and day light.

I replaced my Aqua Signal tricolor bulb with one of theirs.  Increased the range to nearly 3 miles.

• Like 2

In talking to one of the Marinebeam techs, he explained something to me when I asked about comparative brightness or lumens between the incandescent bulb originally in my tricolor and that of their LED replacement bulb.  He explained an aspect I'd never considered.

He said one needed to distinguish between light output from the bulb, and light visibility of  the fixture.  An incandescent bulb puts out X lumens and an LED bulb puts out X lumens.  BUT, the light from the incandescent is white (made up of all colors) which is then all filtered out EXCEPT the wavelengths of the color that the lens of the fixture allows through.  So X lumens of white light from the bulb becomes a much smaller number of lumens visible to a viewer of the light.  A lot of the total lumen output is lost.  Of course, this is least for white lights, which have little filtering.

The LED bulbs (at least those of Marinebeam) have a different type of LED for each sector of the bulb.  So the LEDs in the red sector put out red light, the LEDs in the green sector put out green light, etc.  The LEDs are chosen to match the color of the plastic in the aqua signal tricolor lens, so a very high percentage of the light emitted by the LED is also visible to a viewer of the fixture.

So, a lower lumen LED bulb can provide a brighter visible light than is offered by a "more powerful" incandescent bulb.

3 hours ago, SVArcturus said:

Most LEDs are apparently really noisy and interfere with radio and other gear.  This company's bulbs are well filtered and quiet.

Getting tech info from a sales guy is not always a bad idea but treating it with a bit of skepticism isn't a bad thing either. While I don't doubt that the products he is selling are RF quiet, I'd be surprised and disappointed if any reputable manufactures of marine navigation LEDs are selling RF noisy designs today.

LEDs are not noisy. Some LED drivers have been. I recall that a somewhat popular, early generation, marine navigation fixture was found to be RF noisy. Even at the time more competently designed drivers in other products were not.

• Like 1

LEDs  for nav lights have a particular issue that must be addressed.   As the tech rep noted, LEDs emit light in a very narrow range of color.  What he did not apparently mention is that the LED must be rated for the specific fixture.  Otherwise, the colored lens may filter out most of the light.  NEVER put a "white" LED into a colored fixture.

There are many threads that discuss LEDs in nav lights.  Any questions,  look them up.

On 7/18/2021 at 12:05 AM, weightless said:

Getting tech info from a sales guy is not always a bad idea but treating it with a bit of skepticism isn't a bad thing either.

Very true.  However, I'd heard about them originally from Practical Sailor who had tested them and gave a thumbs up on EMI.

On 7/18/2021 at 12:05 AM, weightless said:

LEDs are not noisy. Some LED drivers have been. 

Good point.  I should have point that out myself.  It's the voltage controllers, not the light emitting diodes.

On 7/18/2021 at 6:55 PM, jamhass said:

LEDs  for nav lights have a particular issue that must be addressed.   As the tech rep noted, LEDs emit light in a very narrow range of color.  What he did not apparently mention is that the LED must be rated for the specific fixture.  Otherwise, the colored lens may filter out most of the light.  NEVER put a "white" LED into a colored fixture.

Good points.  As I mentioned, the bulbs I got are specifically rated for the Aqua Signal tricolor.  They have bulbs rated for other fixtures and some other manufacturers as well.