For the 111 sailors, when you're sailing with the J1 or J2, roughly how far aft do you set your lead cars? I realize of course it's going to vary based on conditions, I ask because it seems the tracks go much further forward than we would ever want to set the cars and I'm wondering if we're missing something. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, George Dewey said:

For the 111 sailors, when you're sailing with the J1 or J2, roughly how far aft do you set your lead cars? I realize of course it's going to vary based on conditions, I ask because it seems the tracks go much further forward than we would ever want to set the cars and I'm wondering if we're missing something. Thanks!

Further forward is good for a J/4 or a storm jib. Further aft for a J0 (we hade to replace our track with a longer one, extending it aft for the J0).  

Also, at TWA 60-80 you tend to end up pretty much at the front end before you start to sheet at the rail.

8 minutes ago, Blur said:

Further forward is good for a J/4 or a storm jib. Further aft for a J0 (we hade to replace our track with a longer one, extending it aft for the J0).  

Also, at TWA 60-80 you tend to end up pretty much at the front end before you start to sheet at the rail.

Thanks! Do you use the inhaulers for a J4?

Also, J0??? I didn't know there was one... 

36 minutes ago, George Dewey said:

Thanks! Do you use the inhaulers for a J4?

Also, J0??? I didn't know there was one... 

We have a reefable J3.5 and do use inhaulers if conditions permits.

J0 below:

blur-jib0-18-10.jpg

12 minutes ago, George Dewey said:

Oh the J0 is on a furler tacked on the pole, interesting. Thanks, great pic!

Just a big-ass jib for us who think the J/111 needs even more punch in the light stuff :D 

Not viable in all rating system.

1 minute ago, Blur said:

Just a big-ass jib for us who think the J/111 needs even more punch in the light stuff :D 

Not viable in all rating system.

Yeah my first thought was that you meant code zero but a quick look showed otherwise. It looks pretty cool. As you said a few months ago, I need to learn to use what I have first! 

4 screws from the back with the J2 and 5-6 with the J1 but that’s with the inhaulers at the deck edge with the J1 and 2” inside the hand rail with the J2 in 10-12kts

21 minutes ago, JL92S said:

4 screws from the back with the J2 and 5-6 with the J1 but that’s with the inhaulers at the deck edge with the J1 and 2” inside the hand rail with the J2 in 10-12kts

Great, thanks, that's very specific. We'll start with that tomorrow evening and adjust from there.