Just about did that once.  Dark and foggy night, coming around a long curve in a 50 zone.  There was the deer, pointed to the left.  I swerved to the right to the breakdown lane, deer did a 180 and jumped.  Caught her midair right in the windshield.  Funny thing was, with the adrenaline rush, I kept going for a few seconds, thinking “I can make it home!”  With an obliterated windshield.  Right.  Came to my senses, propped up the hood (pre-cell phone), couple minutes later a couple comes by and goes to call the cops.  Never did find the deer, and felt (and still feel) bad about that, as I do for this one.  At least it wasn’t a moose… there you just knock the legs out and get two tons of ruminant on your head, which rarely ends well.

I never hit a deer, but I had one jump into the side of my truck once. Driving back to DC from southern VA up 17... damn thing stood on the side of the road as about 5 cars in front of me went past. Fucker jumped right into the side of my truck.. His nose left a long smudge of deer snot in the mud on the side of the truck. 

I don't think he got hurt all that bad. None of the line of cars behind me did anything weird that I could see in the mirror. 

I hit deer twice in the same month in different cars years ago. Ran clean over one like a speed bump when it slipped in front of me. The other one bounced off the driver side and back into the woods. 
Coming down a hill at night in the rain driving the RV not long ago I almost hit a bunch standing in the road. I aimed for the centerline in the turn and gave it the brakes, stopping a few feet away. They looked like deer in the headlights when I stopped.

Years ago I hit a deer when I was driving 70mph.   The deer hit the front of the car and then was thrown up and over it.  Because the front and hood of the car was smashed up I figured that if I opened the hood it might never latch shut.   So I looked for leaks (cooling system) and listened for noises (radiator fan) but saw and heard nothing wrong.   So we continued on home, a mere 650 miles away.

Dumb effers.

Near hit one - 600 yards from my house.  

Came around a curve and saw the 6 point buck standing along side of the road.  I looked at him - he looked at me.  I slowed - and he continued to watch me approach.  Then at the perfect moment, he jumped - into my path. 

Car's got good steering and great brakes, and I missed the dumbsonsabritch by a red doe hair.  

• Like 1

Standard issue where I live in Pennsylvania.    Friend had a Galaxy 500 trashed by hitting a deer...  and wasted no time dressing it while he waited for the tow truck to show up.. To this day we still call him "road kill bill..."

Amazon.com: CITKOU Deer Whistles for Vehicles with Extra Tapes Wind  Activated Black (4 Pack): Automotive

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I never hit a deer, but I had one jump into the side of my truck once. Driving back to DC from southern VA up 17... damn thing stood on the side of the road as about 5 cars in front of me went past. Fucker jumped right into the side of my truck.. His nose left a long smudge of deer snot in the mud on the side of the truck. 

I don't think he got hurt all that bad. None of the line of cars behind me did anything weird that I could see in the mirror. 

Literally 15 minutes, and 7 miles away from the dealership where I bought my first ever, and only ever brand spanking new vehicle, a deer ran right into the passenger side bed of my f-150. It bounced off and kept running. I looked. Football sized dent. They say the first dent/scratch in a new car is the worst..... I just wish it had waited a month or so.... And it was one of those dents that even when you pull it out with a suction cup, when you hit a pothole, it goes back in. No crease, no paint loss, it just wouldn't stay un-dented....

7 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Standard issue where I live in Pennsylvania.    Friend had a Galaxy 500 trashed by hitting a deer...  and wasted no time dressing it while he waited for the tow truck to show up.. To this day we still call him "road kill bill..."

Amazon.com: CITKOU Deer Whistles for Vehicles with Extra Tapes Wind  Activated Black (4 Pack): Automotive

In Vermont those are called "Deer whistles".... They attract the deer at anything over 30MPH.... Makes road hunting easier.

36 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Dumb effers.

Near hit one - 600 yards from my house.  

Came around a curve and saw the 6 point buck standing along side of the road.  I looked at him - he looked at me.  I slowed - and he continued to watch me approach.  Then at the perfect moment, he jumped - into my path. 

Car's got good steering and great brakes, and I missed the dumbsonsabritch by a red doe hair.  

Woke up one morning during deer season and out my window saw a 6 point grazing just inside our property line... the other side was Valley Forge (at the time State Park)...   ran down and got the Marlin 30-30, slid open the window, and wham, dropped him...  Woke my parents up and my dad tells the story " all I heard was the rifle, the door slam, and then saw Ventucky dragging this deer into the barn."

Of course this really pissed off my mother to where didn't say a word to me for a month... my dad called me the lucky one for that, and my snoobie Yale educated sister to this day still thinks I am a caveman..  remind sis, what husband are you on now?

I really have to count my luck stars on the shit that I pulled and got away with...  guess it pays to be the black sheep of the family..

• Like 1

I've hit 7.

Once was in a suburban, on the way back from the Mackinac race.  Dressed the deer in the Police's front yard, at 3 AM using a butchers knife, coolers, and ice bought at a 24 hour Meijers next door.

One was in a 2001 Taurus.  Busted it up - but not totalled.

Two times in a 2009 F-150.  Once destroyed the front end.  Fixed it.  Once the fucking deer jumped into the SIDE of my truck.  Had to get pictures of the blood and deer fur for the insurance to believe me.

One was in a 2011 Taurus.  Busted it up, not totalled.  Was arrested because my Birthday was just a couple days prior and my license expired.  Completely clean driving record, judge laughed it out of court and embarrassed the policeman who arrested me - 6 months and $750 in legal fees later.

Once in my 2014 F-150.  Hand to replace the grill, light, and front bumper.

And.... drum roll......

Once in a 45 foot RV doing 65 in the upper peninsula 2 hours outside St. Ignace.  I hit the deer, the deer bounced into the oncoming lane, and was obliterated by a semi going the opposite direction.  Not only did it destroy the front of the RV, and mangled the front of the semi, but I had to duct-tape the thing back together with blood and gore dripping off it at 2 AM before we could drive any further.  The policeman got there and commented that we must have done it before, we because we had the whole front end taped back together before he pulled up.  He was unable to locate anything that looked like a deer.... but he took our (and the semi driver's) word for what happened.

Fuck deer.

51 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Woke up one morning during deer season and out my window saw a 6 point grazing just inside our property line... the other side was Valley Forge (at the time State Park)...   ran down and got the Marlin 30-30, slid open the window, and wham, dropped him...  Woke my parents up and my dad tells the story " all I heard was the rifle, the door slam, and then saw Ventucky dragging this deer into the barn."

Of course this really pissed off my mother to where didn't say a word to me for a month... my dad called me the lucky one for that, and my snoobie Yale educated sister to this day still thinks I am a caveman..  remind sis, what husband are you on now?

I really have to count my luck stars on the shit that I pulled and got away with...  guess it pays to be the black sheep of the family..

My boss came back from a 10 day Turkey hunt in Gnu Yawk - skunked.  I took a picture out of my dining room window of 4 huge hens, a Tom, and 10-12 large chicks.  I wonder why I got another shit assignment from him.     

After he gets skunked deer hunting (a tradition), I've got a picture of 3 huge (for Floriduh) does hanging about my front yard.  ;) 

Saw a pronghorn get nailed by a tandem at 80MPH on the Trans-Canada in Manitoba back in 86..... Looked like someone threw a tomato into a big fan.

55 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Literally 15 minutes, and 7 miles away from the dealership where I bought my first ever, and only ever brand spanking new vehicle, a deer ran right into the passenger side bed of my f-150. It bounced off and kept running. I looked. Football sized dent. They say the first dent/scratch in a new car is the worst..... I just wish it had waited a month or so.... And it was one of those dents that even when you pull it out with a suction cup, when you hit a pothole, it goes back in. No crease, no paint loss, it just wouldn't stay un-dented....

:o

2 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

so they make a sound as air goes through them as you drive forward, how far forward do you think that sound is projected? 

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/articles/deer-news/how-effective-are-deer-whistles-to-avoid-vehicle-collisions

1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Amen.

The damn things have quadrupled in the last 20-30 years... They're becoming a real nuisance.  

well we shot all the cougars and wolves that hunted them...   numnuts in Wisc have allowed wolf hunting and have nearly wiped them out again..

54 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:
1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

Fuck deer.

Amen.

The damn things have quadrupled in the last 20-30 years... They're becoming a real nuisance.  

Listen, you guys are doing it all wrong.

You need to STOP fucking them, and they won't multiply so much. Honest, that's how it works

- DSK

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well we shot all the cougars and wolves that hunted them...   numnuts in Wisc have allowed wolf hunting and have nearly wiped them out again..

WI needs the predators out of the way to perpetuate the multi milllon $ tourist hunt dollars.....

Have had a couple encounters. Most memorable was like a cartoon. Deer and I saw each other same time as he was trying to cross. Rural road, October, only going 45. But I bet he was close to that as well. We both hit brakes, I swerved right, he swerved left and he skidded on hooves at 45 degree angle across 20 feet of pavement into my left front end. He ran off, no doubt bruised but with stories to tell his friends. $4500 bill for front left and side of SUV. 

Ugh, I've killed too many with trains. If they won't move for 14,000 hp wide open and a train whistle screaming the chances of them moving for some cheesy plastic whistles is slim.

I was hauling ass down a remote canyon on my mt. bike and a big buck running flat out beside me decided to jink in front of me. That, boys and girls, was a close one.

3 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

friend of mine said his buddy hit one with a honda goldwing..     friend goes, do you know how much shit is inside one of those... fortunately it was a small one

We were driving home which involves about 6 miles down a rural road, years ago, and up ahead we saw a tail light winking as it skidded off into a field. We stopped and it turned out the be a young guy on a motorcycle who had hit a deer. He kept saying he was fine and trying to get up, I assured him that he was fine yes but he should relax, take a few deep breathes, and wait for the nice ambulance before trying to move. His leg was pretty obviously broken but he didn't seem to notice it. I put a towel on it to slow bleeding and kept talking with him, nice and calm.

He was worried about his girl friend who worked as a waitress at the restaurant (since closed) down that same road. My wife called her and she came and rode in the ambulance with him. I heard later he was fine; my next door neighbor and i took his bike (sorry, I don't remember what kind) in the back of my neighbor's pickup and drove it to his parents house.

Hitting a deer in a car is bad enough. One of my uncles told a story about driving a motorcycle into a herd of cows crossing the road, in rural New England about 70 years ago. He made it sound funny but bouncing off big mammals at 60+ seems like it would not be good entertainment for the participants.

- DSK

I lived in deer alley outside of town. The police knew me by my voice when I would call in an accident. One night getting ready to play hockey, I hear the brake squeal and a bang followed by cursing. I yelled that I would go and call the cops after hearing he was ok. Five minutes later I pull up next to his totaled s10 pickup  looked like he hit a tree. Fluid coming out of the radiator and such. 10 point buck laying there. I asked if he wanted the deer or I would take it and he says, “hell it’s At least some compensation for the damage “ at that moment, the deer got up and ran away.   

6 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

My neck of the woods. 

Rt 17 is not to be trifled with after the sun sets, so keep the speed around the speed limit.

I guarantee you if you go from Gloucester to Fredericksburg you will encounter 4-8 of them along the way.

Passed 4 of the in 10 miles last Wednesday starting to head to Atlanta.

They like to munch on the grass on the side of the road and only look up when you get really really close so that their eyes light up and "There they are"

Nothing but water, rural woods and a farm fields out here.  The Trifecta for a deer environment.  Have seen some seriously big bucks with monster racks on their heads.

I like to rib the long gun boys at the gun range they suck as deer population seems to be getting bigger instead of them becoming an endangered species.

Hit one with a Impala once that jumped over the hood only leaving clumps of hair in the grill.

4 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

Sounds like a nice family.

2 hours ago, warbird said:
3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

numnuts in Wisc

WI needs the predators out of the way to perpetuate the multi milllon $ tourist hunt dollars.....

Like he said.

1 hour ago, Foreverslow said:

My neck of the woods. 

Rt 17 is not to be trifled with after the sun sets, so keep the speed around the speed limit.

I guarantee you if you go from Gloucester to Fredericksburg you will encounter 4-8 of them along the way.

Passed 4 of the in 10 miles last Wednesday starting to head to Atlanta.

They like to munch on the grass on the side of the road and only look up when you get really really close so that their eyes light up and "There they are"

Nothing but water, rural woods and a farm fields out here.  The Trifecta for a deer environment.  Have seen some seriously big bucks with monster racks on their heads.

I like to rib the long gun boys at the gun range they suck as deer population seems to be getting bigger instead of them becoming an endangered species.

Hit one with a Impala once that jumped over the hood only leaving clumps of hair in the grill.

it wasn't far from AP Hill.. I used to drive back and forth from Alexandria to Kilmarnock every couple weeks.. Had an oyster farm at our house on the Corrotomon.

• Like 1

Tom, a Mechanic who worked here was riding his Harley up in Nor'west CT, or maybe MA, when a Moose got in his way a month or so ago.  No more Tom, RIP.

11 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Amen.

I doubt that there significantly more deer than there ever were, it's more likely that as humans develop the deer's natural habitat the deer become more visible because they have no place else to go.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I doubt that there significantly more deer than there ever were, it's more likely that as humans develop the deer's natural habitat the deer become more visible because they have no place else to go.

Was from an article I read on the intrawebz. <shudder>  It sited some USA AA Grade, Fauci approved source like the Federal Department of Deers (Interior? Don't know - there's been rum since then.) But, there are many more deer today.  I do know all shooting related purchases have an 11% tax to support wildlife, and that money has been used to increase the deer population overall.  And we ARE seeing more wildlife as we encroach on their natural habitat - but they are also learning how to exist in the 'burbs. An ol' neighbor's prized rose garden was destroyed by some fat deer.  

From Wikipedia:  The Pittman-Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937 took over a preexisting 11% excise tax on firearms and ammunition. Instead of going into the U.S. Treasury as it had done in the past, the money generated by the tax is instead given to the Secretary of the Interior to distribute to the states.   

I was coming home from a regatta on a Sunday evening and a car in the opposite direction hit a deer and knocked it down right in front of us.  No room to miss it, so we ran slap over it with with a Ford diesel van pulling a Melges 24.  The van looked fine, but the front of the M24 was covered in blood and guts.  We pull into our sailing club just after dusk and the commodore and his wife are out walking the dogs.  They see the mess and ask what the hell happened. I told them that "F*cker tried to port tack the start"

• Like 8

Deer have rebounded due to wildlife management and removal of predators. In East TX this included stopping using dogs to hunt deer.

This is 2nd hand, told by a trusted friend a few decades ago outside Brownwood TX a guy doesn't show up for work one day. No sign of him so missing for months.  One day a rancher checking on his cattle found a pickup in the brush with the guy in the driver seat with a deer in his lap.  Rancher had seen fence down, assumed some drunk hit it and left so repaired it.  Every time we went by there my friend pointed out the location.

Was not an open casket funeral.

My wife has hit 3. The first time she was all tears "I killed Bambi..." while I hosed deer shit and blood out of the Ford's oil cooler. Second and third time: "fucking deer, kill  them all!"

• Like 1

Bad Winters night road kill…. Wifes car slips into a inverted roll into a ditch on a ice covered, 2 lane country road, that was under 2 inches of snow at 12:30 am. Car lands suspended between the Ditches  banks upside down. She unclicks her seat belt and falls on to the cars uncrumpled roof. A passing driver calls aaa and she calls for a ride. 

I get there, get her glasses and cell out of the wreck thinking WTF it’s perfectly suspended hanging upside down in a dry ditch! How did the thing end up like that?

She got into our Grand Caravan to finish her commute home with me, as we are talking going home in almost white out blowing snow Bambi the bucks head flashes into sight in the head lights, as I hear a load thump on the fount left hand . We drove it home and the week it took the dealer to get parts as Bambi missed the radiation.  We had a bad night, Bambi’s was worse…

3 hours ago, d&#x27;ranger said:

Deer have rebounded due to wildlife management and removal of predators. In East TX this included stopping using dogs to hunt deer.

This is 2nd hand, told by a trusted friend a few decades ago outside Brownwood TX a guy doesn't show up for work one day. No sign of him so missing for months.  One day a rancher checking on his cattle found a pickup in the brush with the guy in the driver seat with a deer in his lap.  Rancher had seen fence down, assumed some drunk hit it and left so repaired it.  Every time we went by there my friend pointed out the location.

Was not an open casket funeral.

PUI?  you posted the same story 12 hours ago....

in east texas the deer are pretty smart, they know which parcels of land are hunted..   the deer would move over to an area that wasn't hunted during deer season...

5 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

PUI?  you posted the same story 12 hours ago....

in east texas the deer are pretty smart, they know which parcels of land are hunted..   the deer would move over to an area that wasn't hunted during deer season...

Animals are smarter than we think. Part of the reason for the over-abundance of Canada geese here is because they won't cross the border - the wall of flak that goes up is similar to a night bombing run over Berlin so they stay in peace in our parks & marshes.

Not PUI but last night was really weird, thought had to go to MI for work, this morning found out I didn't.  Was an assignment I didn't want but couldn't turn down.  That's about all I remember about that.....  I hid the earlier post so nobody will ever know. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Couple weeks back drove from Minneapolis to Black River Falls, Wisconsin. From the border to black river falls is 116 miles.

Counted 9 dead deer on our side. so about one every 13 miles. The highway patrol doesn't even bother dragging them off the road.

In Texas the worst times are rut and drought. Rut they aren't looking or thinking, drought the food is next to the road.  Don't even bother trying to count them.

anyone have any Fear the Raccoon  ............  Vehicle V Fucker's Pix/Video

2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

anyone have any Fear the Raccoon  ............  Vehicle V Fucker's Pix/Video

Never seen a dead racoon on the side of the road, let alone hit one..  But I pretty certain to say you have hit (on) a few cougars in your day.  :D

• Like 2

Ex-GF of mine (miss those really nice...) - we used to joke that she needed a big game license to drive on the highway.  I think she took out 3 or 4 before she turned 20.

18 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

friend of mine said his buddy hit one with a honda goldwing..     friend goes, do you know how much shit is inside one of those... fortunately it was a small one

Opie Caylor cut one in half at Road Atlanta on a motorcycle. a couple of decades ago.  When he got his senses back, he said he couldn't tell who's guts and blood was all over him.

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Animals are smarter than we think. Part of the reason for the over-abundance of Canada geese here is because they won't cross the border - the wall of flak that goes up is similar to a night bombing run over Berlin so they stay in peace in our parks & marshes.

well fuck, you're in canada, they're supposed to stay there...     there was always an abundance of C. geese in new jersey when I lived there...  nasty fucks..

6 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well fuck, you're in canada, they're supposed to stay there...     there was always an abundance of C. geese in new jersey when I lived there...  nasty fucks..

Sorry eh?

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

They really are undisciplined shitters.

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

They really are undisciplined shitters.

They focus on volume, not organization.

Twice hit deer both at only 30mph, both in the next village.. both got up, looked at me, and hobbled off into the trees..

Made a mess of the plastic fronted wife's car.... Why couldn't they run out in front of my Landrover with bull bars??

2 hours ago, The Q said:

Twice hit deer both at only 30mph, both in the next village.. both got up, looked at me, and hobbled off into the trees..

Many moons ago when we lived near other people, across the busy street lived a Great Dane.  It sometimes came over to our place to play with our dog and eat it's food.  Evetnually I started putting it on a lead, calling the owners to come and get it, citing concern that it would get run over on the way home.  Still they did not control it.

One afternoon I heard the screeching of tires and a thud.  Raced out to see a car with steam coming out of the front and the Dane staggering about on the road.  It limped home, the car was towed.  I thought the dog would die of injuries but after a couple of weeks it was back eating our dog's food!

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I beg to differ

you  go just east of Annapolis / Kent Island to the Delaware border and come November the corn fields have thousands of geese heading south from Canada eating the corn on the ground and they sure did not summer in New Jersey.  When the fly off the sky looks black from all them.

Hunting is down as development has not only encroached on deer, but also for hunters.  The rules about not shooting near homes has limited where they can shoot and the deer have caught on.  As highways have become "safer", many are posted for no parking so the hunters cannot just pull off the road and hunt.

Also teenagers no longer put their 30-06 on the rack in their pickup  rear window and drive to school for afternoon hunting like my generation.  This has reduced the number of younger hunters.

The last place for development is just off a highway (away from ramps which are commercial) due to nobody wanting live near a highway.  So the deer bed down in the woods right off the highway until the area gets so developed suckers are willing to buy homes built just off the highway with big concrete wall to reduce the noise.  Come night where are they going to go?  Why in the open fields with grass (aka you highway).

On my street, there are 2 wooded lots an investor bought decades ago and just left.  Got to be 14+ (number I counted last time they all crossed the road in front of me).   Stupid bastards eat any foliage I plant to the point I now have to ask if deer hate something at the nursery before I purchase.  Had 3 in yard when I went to run an errand yesterday, but I cannot do a thing as the houses are on 2+ acre wooded lots so one cannot take a shot due to the houses nearby.  No predictors, plenty of water, a corn field 2000 yards away.   So they breed like crazy.

Like Raz'r said, there are so many hits down here (most roads have 50-55 for a speed limit down here) the county sheriffs and state police do not even pull them off the road.  We have a large population of big black buzzards the pick the carcasses clean in a couple hours. 

The deer have moved into the suburbs where they are safe from hunting.  THis picture was taken at a private golf course in west Mi.  These boys know they are safe to munch on the greens

Bachlor Club.jpg

My brother hit one year's ago also in West Michigan and totaled his car.  The dead deer and car are still in the street and my brother's standing to the side but near the deer.  Dudley DoRight shows up with lights flashing, parks to warn traffic, gets out of his cruiser walks up, stands next to my brother, and after a pregnant pause, turns to him and asks, "male or female?"  My brother turns to him and replies, "I don't know, I hadn't planned to fuck it."

• Like 1

I thought this thread was about the Milwaukee Bucks when i clicked on it. I didn't expect a deer in a car, oh well. I am still slightly hungover from Tuesdays victory. 

9 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

, but I cannot do a thing as the houses are on 2+ acre wooded lots so one cannot take a shot due to the houses nearby.  No predictors, plenty of water, a corn field 2000 yards away.   So they breed like crazy.

A compound bow can be your best friend.  Just practice a lot so you don't have a bunch of wounded deer with arrows sticking out of them roaming the neighborhood causing the bunny huggers to start asking questions.

15 hours ago, pbd said:

A compound bow can be your best friend.  Just practice a lot so you don't have a bunch of wounded deer with arrows sticking out of them roaming the neighborhood causing the bunny huggers to start asking questions.

Meh!...compound bows are for the "young bucks" like Grabs Jr :P...old fuckers like me use crossbows during archery season...and when in stealth mode :ph34r:...

Things are different over in NZ. 

664AA849-F44D-472C-B195-107C3DBD9652.thumb.jpeg.054a944b14161dbff19aec409da13304.jpeg

Nephew as on the way to work and this was standing by the side of the road. Quick shot, quick butcher, then back on the road.