us 21 dagger board stuck in down position

got a guy at the club with a new to him US 21 with the dagger board stuck in the down position...  i mean really wedged in..

can't get into a slip because the  board is sticking so far down that the one cradle we can possibly use can't go any lower and the water level is down to boot...    so looking for ideas on how to get the thing out,  he was thinking about pounding it all the way through, but he already has a crack on the back edge of the well on the inside of the cabin and pounding it through may make it a lot worse and sink it..    attempts to get in the water and push it up have failed..   might have to take it to a ramp and try and lean it over but that's going to be pretty tough to get it over far enough to get the board out of the water..   i suggested soapy water into well, didn't ask if he tried that yet..   

so open to any crazy suggestions ..

untitled.jpgpicus21100a.jpg

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Why is it stuck? Is the lifting line jammed in the trunk? 

good question and how it got stuck is another..

i didn't look down into the trunk... will do later,     from what I can tell ,  the top of the board has a gap in the middle between the front and back.  mid trunk, across the top   is metal bar stock with a block and tackle arrangement  thus the gap in the board

Based on the flat profile on the bottom of the board, I’d try taking a ratchet strap all the way around the boat and looped under the bottom of the board. Gently ratchet it and see if anything moves. Not perfect because of the angle, but might pop it loose. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Based on the flat profile on the bottom of the board, I’d try taking a ratchet strap all the way around the boat and looped under the bottom of the board. Gently ratchet it and see if anything moves. Not perfect because of the angle, but might pop it loose. 

^ best idea yet ^

But first, if this boat is relatively new to this owner, look and double check that some prior owner did not drive screws into it thru the trunk to lock it down.

Looks like a cool little boat

FB- Doug

well , problem solved..  another guy who owns a boat repair shop was at the boat when I got back down there... he said it looked like to him that the dagger board got pushed forward into a more vertical position...   i suggested pulling the boat behind the motor boat we had and getting up to speed and letting the us 21 head to shore to put the board back into position..   well he took the boat and towed it close to the shoreline with the owner in the boat and bounced the dagger board off the bottom a few times to loosen it..   got back to the dock and with a ratchet strap and the original lifting mechanism they were able to get the board up...   boat was put on a trailer and will head off to the shop to take care of the cracks in the dagger board well...      another boat saved from sinking... 

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well , problem solved..  another guy who owns a boat repair shop was at the boat when I got back down there... he said it looked like to him that the dagger board got pushed forward into a more vertical position...   i suggested pulling the boat behind the motor boat we had and getting up to speed and letting the us 21 head to shore to put the board back into position..   well he took the boat and towed it close to the shoreline with the owner in the boat and bounced the dagger board off the bottom a few times to loosen it..   got back to the dock and with a ratchet strap and the original lifting mechanism they were able to get the board up...   boat was put on a trailer and will head off to the shop to take care of the cracks in the dagger board well...      another boat saved from sinking... 

Sounds like the board was lowered a little too much and it rotated in the case, wedging stuck and can-opening the case.

21 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

good question and how it got stuck is another..

i didn't look down into the trunk... will do later,     from what I can tell ,  the top of the board has a gap in the middle between the front and back.  mid trunk, across the top   is metal bar stock with a block and tackle arrangement  thus the gap in the board

well according to the owner he was lowering the board, but since he was new to the boat forgot to secure the line and the board dropped quickly and wedged...

Sounds like the board was lowered a little too much and it rotated in the case, wedging stuck and can-opening the case.

pretty much, it'll be an expensive lesson..

Glad you were able to get it up, in the future definitely use soapy water, like really soapy (but not straight detergent). It's helped me more than once to get the keel back into my columbia.

On 7/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, Monkey said:

this is exactly the way we freed a 40' trimaran daggerboard that was stuck..