J22 World Championship - CCYC

Nothing like having an Olympic medalist doing tactics.  One of the draws of CC is it's always windy, except when it's not - does look like the forecast is better the next few days.  The Galveston Bay group is showing pretty well, it's been the fleet for Wed nights for some years now.

27 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Nothing like having an Olympic medalist doing tactics.  One of the draws of CC is it's always windy, except when it's not - does look like the forecast is better the next few days.  The Galveston Bay group is showing pretty well, it's been the fleet for Wed nights for some years now.

When you say better, how much wind is forecast ? when I sailed there for the finn nationals last month it was very windy, like topping out at 30. We started one race in 28 kts. I could have used a day or two in the low teens. It is a great club and great place to sail . I understand it's the same pro that we had, Shannon Bush , she did an awesome job. 

7 hours ago, jesposito said:

Just curious how it is a World Championship when all the boats are from the US?

The same way you can have a baseball World Series but only for teams from NA... :P

• Like 1
10 hours ago, surf nazi said:

When you say better, how much wind is forecast ? when I sailed there for the finn nationals last month it was very windy, like topping out at 30. We started one race in 28 kts. I could have used a day or two in the low teens. It is a great club and great place to sail . I understand it's the same pro that we had, Shannon Bush , she did an awesome job. 

I am on a mark boat. Today was decent. Wind started out low teens. Built to mid teens by third race. Tomorrow is forecasted 15-20.

PRO is Mark Foster.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jesposito said:

They did have a South Africa entry that bailed out. And they do have an international jury.

12 hours ago, jesposito said:

Have you seen the current price of plane tickets ?   Plus the J22 class never really took off outside the US.

• Like 1

@savoir I think that is the point trying to be made by jesposito.

How can you have a World Championship for a class that "never really took off outside the US"? ;)

• Like 2

We are just a tiny boat shop in the center of the desert called Texas.….…. 

Where recent winners of the J-24 and J-22 worlds just happened to have their underbodies worked over before those events. 

…..gonna have to buy myself a bigger hat 

• Like 7
12 hours ago, Bitter Gnat said:

Congrats Fred! I hope Proggy thanked you for all the work you did on hull 24!

Prog is one of if not my favorite customer. We have done stuff  to a bunch of his boats and it was his Olson 30 we sold and hauled to Halifax in 2009. ( maybe somebody can find and link the “texas Hillbillies drive Olson 30 to Halifax” thread. It was hilarious. )

He lives 225 miles north near Dallas. We generally meet at a hamburger joint called Health Camp in Waco and switch trailer hitches. 

#24 was the first J-22 in Austin and it was called Jr and campaigned by the J- boat dealer  Rod Malone. 
it has a history of belonging to sailors who love to make the boat right. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

We have done stuff  to a bunch of his boats and it was his Olson 30 we sold and hauled to Halifax in 2009. ( maybe somebody can find and link the “texas Hillbillies drive Olson 30 to Halifax” thread. It was hilarious. )

I was messing with my dad's boat in it's slip in a dumpy marina in Mystic, CT many years ago.

Two guys came over yapping about our Boat. Not sure how the topic came up, maybe t shirt one was wearing. They were telling a tale that sounded familiar. The name Fred didn't ring a bell but "Texas Hillbilly/Hippy" did, from the Hillbilly thread. Trailer issues maybe?

In any event they spoke quite highly of you.

• Like 2
On 7/22/2021 at 10:10 PM, F_L said:

I am on a mark boat. Today was decent. Wind started out low teens. Built to mid teens by third race. Tomorrow is forecasted 15-20.

PRO is Mark Foster.

thanks for the correction on the PRO. He was very helpful and informative during the finn nationals. They really have some good people running races in corpus. Well done.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:11 PM, Jethrow said:

The same way you can have a baseball World Series but only for teams from NA... :P

When we would have J29 North American Champs years back, I would say there are only east coast boats racing, just call the East Coast Champs

On 7/24/2021 at 8:42 PM, Gouvernail said:

#24 was the first J-22 in Austin and it was called Jr and campaigned by the J- boat dealer  Rod Malone.

There's a name I hadn't thought of in a while.  Good salesman, too.  I walked into Sail & Ski one morning to pick up a batten and came out owning J/22 #306.

RIP

• Like 1